Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide

3 posters

Go down

A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide Empty A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide

Post by STC Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 am

Dear all,

Anyone here using Jriver with Mytek? I am interested to know if the internal sync functions in USB2.0 mode for DSD. The various settings are too complicated for my simple mind and would love to hear from the experts here.

Thanks.

Last edited by STC on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide Empty Re: A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide

Post by VS126 Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Yes, works perfectly with JR19 in USB 2 for native dsd playback.
VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide Empty Re: A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide

Post by STC Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm

What's your firmware's version and do you use a PC or Mac? My DAC is still using the old 1.7.1 FW and with 1.33 driver I could play Mytek in native DSD. But there was occasional clicks at stop and play. I didn't pay much attention to DoP then.

Two weeks back I crashed my PC and reinstalled everything but mistaken I installed the latest 1.34 driver. I was stuck playing all my DSD files in DSD in DoP mode but it was such a revelation.

Two days ago, I realized my mistake and tried with the correct version but I still think JRiver with DSD in DoP has the edge over DSD natively in the 1.7.1 plus 1.34 combo over 1.7.1 plus 1.33. Even though I couldn't use the real DSD playback as 2 x 64DSD in DoP and DSD setting with the old FW.

It maybe possible that DSD over DoP to sound better in JRiver as they are the one who developed DoP method or contributed to their development.

I will be getting the firewire adapter and try with the latest FW. If you get a chance try the above combo and I think they are pretty transparent.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Sorry. I got carried away and completely forgotten about the main issue. JRiver's recommendation for DSD native playback is benchmark 3000 and above. Mine is around 2480. I5 processor and 4GB RAM. 

Any idea what would be the minimum requirement be? And what settings do you use for aiff playback. 
Thank you.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 am

After updating to 1.7.6 FW, I find listening to files sampled at 44.1, 48 or 98kHz tiresome if I let Mytek to use the 2xDSD mode. It shows HDSD for "upsampled" aiff or wav files. The best to my ears are files played natively at their original sampling rate.

Anyone else experienced this?
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Quick questions... how much is the Mytec, and is there a local distributor?
Many thanks guys

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Go to PCM and choose native.
Do not upsample it.
Always sounds better playing native.
Bal, dealer is in amcrop mall.
I hv a perfect used runin condition unit if you are interested
VS126
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks VS126. So it must be true that I am hearing the extraneous noise due to upsampling.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Cld be, play around it.
It is a good dsd dac.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:15 pm

VS for some strange reason I seem to have misplaced your handphone no. Could you whatsapp me?
Many thanks. Could be interested in the mytec

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide Empty A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide

Post by STC Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:44 pm

A simple computer (non) audiophile setup guide.

I have just replaced my 5 year old laptop with Intel NUC miniPC. It is a simple solution and relatively cheap. 

Cost:

1) N5Cpyh = RM600

2) 4GB RAM memory = RM90

3) 120GB SSD = RM223

For display, you can access from your smartphone using Microsoft Remote Desktop app. For OS, I am using Windows10 with JRiver. For most of you, you can save on the OS by using Linux. 

As far as the sound is concerned, I do not hear any difference between i5 and Celeron processor. In fact, I have never heard a single break, pop or click with the NUC even though it is not battery operated. Previously, I used to store the DSD files in my laptop and the rest of the files in NAS. Now, all files are in my NAS streamed via WIFI. I do have Cat6 wired connection available but I find WIFI is free of breaks and JRemote control works flawlessly in WIFI mode.  

Memory usage is about 55% and CPU too hovers around there. It should be much lower without any DSP or REW room correction engaged.Noise is negligible when the CPU fan is set to quiet mode. The NUC is about 8 feet away and it is in audible to me. I will be further tweaking the system to bring down the CPU usage if necessary. So far no red flags yet.

To ensure the best sound quality always disable internal volume and send the data to DAC ( in my case, MYTEK).
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down