Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC

+7
tycham
Hzarz Kar
yhsam
azri
arremie
cheelun
elhefe
11 posters

Go down

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC Empty Musical Fidelity M1 DAC

Post by elhefe Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 am

Hi all,

I purchased the new MF M1 DAC last Friday and have been listening to it for the past few days.

Hook it up to my xrayv3 and marantz cd6000 once arrive home. A bit harsh to begin with. Let it run in for 2 hrs with diana krall cd running. Now the sound is more luscious and bass is more defined. Upsampling to 192 kHz really made the improvement especially from the marantz.

There was a personalized letter in the package. MF will be releasing another DAC soon to cover wireless music and internet radio. Cool ey?

After overnight running the DAC with diana krall on repeat, this whole day I spent comparing the sound between:

1. Xray v3 + x10v3
2. Xray v3 + M1DAC
3. Marantz cd6000 + M1DAC

I tested all combos at a 10 o'clock volume.

Combo 1 gave me some sort of an amplified sound and at times sound treble dominated but overall soundstaging was definitely warm sounding.
Combo 2 gave me a lower volume output eventhough the volume knob is at 10 o'clock as well. Bass however is very defined and very controlled.
Combo 3 gave me the most improved sound. This DAC definitely balanced out all marantz shortcomings.

A very good piece of DAC it is. I personally like the switchable digital inputs. Have yet to test the usb and balanced digital input.

I have a question though. What are the sources that provides the different sampling rate?

44 khz is CD. How about 48, 96 and 192 khz?

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC 5056134608_f7bd2743d4_m
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC 5056133876_856e1f66b5_m
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC 5056135086_c620f12fff_m
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC 5056135760_6792470fd7_m
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC Empty Re: Musical Fidelity M1 DAC

Post by cheelun Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:49 am

Hi Elhefe,

Do you mind telling how much did u pay for the M1 dac? Did you get it from LTB?

Many thanks

cheelun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:51 am

Yes from LTB. Will PM u the price.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by cheelun Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 am

Thanks mate.

cheelun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:39 am

I wanted to purchase X-Can V8 when I was in Singapore last month but when I audition the new unit out of box it sounded so harsh I can barely listen to it. Is this the trait of MF when new? I don't want to spend so much but end up not liking it at the end.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Source(s): Oppo
Amplification: Parasound
Speakers: Klipsch

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:20 am

Yes. I must say its quite common with MF kit. I had the same experience when I bought the xray v3 and my previous xdac. same goes with this m1 dac. Bu after just a few hours, you can hear the warmth. But i also experience that my previous rega apollo. But after running in, it was better.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:36 pm

as a x10 v3 buffer user, i may say it does bring out improvements to my system. only if it has more than 1 input with selector switch of course.. now will have to try match this with passive pre. what say you?

im thinking of this combinations : source > creek obh 22 > mf x10 v3 > power amp

any comments?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:40 am

elhefe, that's good to know. going there again this dec so maybe will angkat one. i need the usb input so v8 is the one Cool

azri, when u gonna tolak me that bel canto cheap cheap Razz
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:46 am

I am using x 10v3 as well but hooked up to my cdp. It does smoothen the sharp edges from a bright cdp.

Eh the m1 also got usb input. Also the MF HPA headphone amp.

Last edited by elhefe on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by yhsam Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Dear elhefe,

Your personal Hifi review in Hifi4sale is very much appreciated.

This is a healthy one, you are most welcome to do more for something like that.

Cheers,
Sam

yhsam
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Dear Sam,

Thanks for the compliments. Part of the reason of joining this forum is to hear opinions from actual users. I find its more refreshing that way rather than just reading reviews from magazines which the reviewer only use the unit for a week or so.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by yhsam Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:09 pm

The reason I appreciate your review is when I'm reading the comments in this forum. I realised heaps of destructive comments. Comments and criticism are most welcome, however please give positive and constructive ones.

elhefe, you've done a good job and showed an excellent example to us.

yhsam
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Hzarz Kar Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 am

Hey, nice to know someone bought it as well Smile

I just bought it last week, upgraded my MHDT Paradisea DAC. I feed it via optical from a Mac Mini, then use RCA out to a Primare i30 amplifier then to Usher BE718 speakers.

More or less exactly the same experience, pretty harsh music out of the box and needed some 20-30 hours of burn in to settle that. After that, it starts to settle - still opening up now but I think the majority of the changes have run the course.

Compared to my previous DAC, this M1 has managed to improve the soundstage and detail (as expected since it's an upsampling unit compared to my previous NOS unit) and it sacrifices only a little bit of warmth. I feel there are more layers to the music than previously. It has dramatically improved rhythm and punch as well. Overall, for the money, very happy with my purchase! Smile

However, you would need to be careful pairing this DAC with bright sounding equipment. The treble is quite dominant, it may be a little harsh if the other equipment is already bright. The two professional reviews I have seen in HIFI World and Hifi News bear this out. I has a hard time finding those reviews online, but finally managed it.. here are the links for those that are interested.

http://www.bm.rs/

Just search for the M1 Dac, there are 2 articles there.

Oh, and regarding elhefe's question, not sure about 42 but 96/192 sources are likely to be high resolution music FLAC files from the internet. Hard to find 24/192 music, but there are plenty of 24/96 music on the internet.

Hzarz Kar

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Hzarz,

Yes agree. Proper matching is required to unlock M1 true potential. Thats why I found that the most improvement was from connecting it to my marantz. My xray v3 seems to provide a more natural sound hooked up directly to my amp.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cheelun Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Is there no audition for MF gears here in M'sia?

Last edited by cheelun on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo error)

cheelun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Hzarz Kar wrote:

Oh, and regarding elhefe's question, not sure about 42 but 96/192 sources are likely to be high resolution music FLAC files from the internet. Hard to find 24/192 music, but there are plenty of 24/96 music on the internet.

Free download of 24/192kHz files are available here

Download in 24/192 can be purchase here but all are classical music.

Best high rez files I had heard are these 5 releases available from here but I don't think they sell them outside the US(borrowed these from my dealers). Best play on J River MC.

48 I believe is video audio?
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 am

cheelun wrote:Is there no audition for MF gears here in M'sia?

Maybe MF owners can do it for fellow members here over teh tarik session at home Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:30 am

Hi Elhefe,

I was previously using an Audio-GD Compass DAC on my stereo with an Oppo DVD player with pretty good results. However, after I upgraded my speakers to ProAc Tablette 2, it sounded too dark and recessed. Direct from Oppo was more open, lively and forward, albeit a little noisy but it was better than lost of details.

Friend of mine loan me his unused Cyrus CD6s and that sorta knocked Oppo out of the music chain. Improvement was actually minimal, which says a lot about the performance of the Oppo. However, after extended listening on the CD6s, I can't go back to the Oppo. CD6s was overall smoother, better definition, more musical and have really good bass. BUT it was a small better so the search continued.

Then I got a Roksan Kandy Mk3, which has a very well balanced sound. Again, a very small improvement... until I heard the Audio Analogue's Paganini. Traded in my Kandy and upgraded instantly.

In my setup, the Paganini is a big improvement over the Kandy. Lush very analog vocals, pin sharp imaging, incredible soundstage and really low bass! My CDP search has ended BUT... it doesn't support CD-R! &^$^%$@#@

So, now I need to find a musical DAC and use the Oppo as a transport for the other CDs I can't use on the Paganini... HDCD & SACD.

What made you decide on the M1? Did you compare it against the V-DAC? What about other DACs?

Thanks,
Ken

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by Hzarz Kar Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Nice CD player you have there!

Couple of folks have compared the M1 against the VDAC on the net - I think in general most people agree that the VDAC's weakness is the standard wallwart power supply.

I personally have compared the M1 against Wyred4Sound Dac1 / Dac2, which are both more expensive, and obviously my old Paradisea.

The m1 actually held up very well to the W4S Dacs, despite the price difference. Don't get me wrong, the W4S dacs were actually very impressive, quite a lush rich sound with detailed soundstage but my budget couldn't quite stretch to that amount Smile. It wasn't as airy nor as punchy as the M1 but was a warmer, darker sound. My tastes run slightly more to a more transparent sound, so the M1 fit my taste and my budget!

Hzarz Kar

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi all,

I am in the uk currently and just bought an arcam rdac. Will compare it once i am back in kl next week. Will write more on my dac adventure from the past 15 years.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Hzarz, wow... comparable with W4S is no small feat!!! I read that that the W4S Dac2 is extremely detailed and revealing but has a sibilance issue at the high-mid range on very revealing systems. I guess that won't be an issue on my setup since it's no where near that person's system. It's also out of my budget. No loss. Haha...

Singapore has so many choices when it comes to Audio. We'll have to make do with popular choices or take the risk of ordering online. BTW, I was very interested in the iDecco and was contemplating in getting it from Singapore but I think going full PC (or Mac) will more more future proof. Have you had the chance to hear the iDecco?

elhefe, you're really on a DAC-roll! How big a step up this will be over the M1? Have you tested the Audio-GD range? My friend has ordered the NFB-1, after much research online... and deliberation. He also ordered their Digital Interface (USB - SPDIF converter) + External Power Supply, which has been tested to be on par with an upgraded M2Tech Hiface! It would be interesting if we can meet up one day for a comparison. However, Audio-GD DACs require extensive burn-in... like 200hrs on top of the 100hrs done at factory so it will take a while.

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Ok got some free time while the mrs is getting ready to venture england.

I have been a DAC user for 15 years now. Always coupled my cd player with a dac. Never tried a dedicated transport and dac.

Started off with marantz cd67ose with cambridge audio dacmagic 2 in 1997. Then i changed my cdp to sony xb930 and kept the dacmagic2. In 1999, changed my amp from marantz pm57 to MF XA1. Thats the point where i started this addictive relationship with MF. Added XA50 s monoblocks and X-DAC. Sold my dacmagic and paired the xdac with the sony. Sonic improvement especially when playing HDCD. I also use my sony MD player with this DAC.

In 2003, changed cdp to marantz cd6000 and still coupled with xdac. Upgraded to cd6002. Kept this till 2009 when i changed to rega apollo cdp. This is when i stopped using the xdac except when playing HDCD. I found that the rega with a good interconnect produced a more natural and detailed sound. Kept this till july 2010.

I also added an MF XCAN V2 headphone amp.

In july this year though, revamped again the set up. Sold the rega and replaced with MF XRayV3. Also added xcanv3, x10 v3 and xpsu v3. Again The xray v3 didnt require the XDAC. I just run it via the x10v3. I figure a 300 GBP dac will not improve a 900 GBP cdp.

But again , cant play my HDCD so still kept the XDAC.

And finally last month, i wanted to see what dac can improve the sound on my xrayv3. Started to compare specs between m1, arcam rdac, rega dac and wired4sound. Wanted to compare heads on between them but only m1 arrived in KL before i left for uk last week. Rega dac launch has been postponed to nov instead of sep.

The M1 is good with a distinctive improvement on my xrayv3 but i can hear the most improvment with my 7 years old marantz. Still kept the xdac because of HDCD.

Now i have bought an arcam rdac here, will compare it with M1 once back. After that, one of these item will be on sale hehehe:)

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Kenzen, hzarz,

Lets meet up once i am back. Maybe we can go around each others house for demo our kit Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hzarz Kar Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:03 pm

KenZen wrote:
Singapore has so many choices when it comes to Audio. We'll have to make do with popular choices or take the risk of ordering online. BTW, I was very interested in the iDecco and was contemplating in getting it from Singapore but I think going full PC (or Mac) will more more future proof. Have you had the chance to hear the iDecco?

No, Kenzen, from my point of view, I didn't see the point of paying for an integrated amplifier with an onboard DAC when I'm already very happy with my amp. I figured if I pay the same amount for a dedicated DAC, I should get better bang for my buck.... :-)

BTW, when I was auditioning the M1 here in Singapore, I ran into someone at the shop who was also auditioning the M1DAC and ultimately bought it. He said he can compared it to the Benchmark Dac-1, and the M1 was better.

Wow, elhefe, impressive story... I only got into DACs when I decided to go computer based audio and sold off my Rega Apollo. Congrats on the rDAC purchase - the USB implementation on that DAC should be far superior to the M1, but I wonder which will win out on SPDIF.

Hzarz Kar

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:17 am

elhefe, that was quite a trip! Thanks for your very detailed share! Your recent round of buying spree is why I am refraining from more auditions... I've already done my round of ProAc Tablette, followed by PrimaLuna Prologue One and then the Audio Analogue Paganini. Oh, not forgetting the Furutech power distributor and power cord (AV Show). Then I bought 2 pairs of Audio Art IC-3SE and SC-5SE speaker cables last month. Bank account doesn't look healthy at all!!! It all started with the ProAc in April. Hmm... I think my friend will have to go collect his Audio-GD NFB-1 DAC on his own. I don't wanna hear the Ref 1 on Dynaudios and come back to find my setup sounds like crap!

It seems like most of the current DACs don't support HDCD?

Hzarz, I thought so too. I was originally impressed with the idea of iPod direct... but like you, I don't need the amp either.

I noticed that BOTH of you had the Apollo and sold it. I was originally targeting the Apollo until I read about the Paganini and I'm very happy with it. Compared very favourably against even the Esoteric! On single ended of course. Clearly more superior on balanced, which the Paganini don't have.

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Kenzen, the MF upgrades have been very addictive especially this year. I have been planning to upgrade my MF for a few years now but since LTB have not been participating in the KLIAV shows for the past few years, it was difficult to get stuff. Only this year that LTB started to participate again that I went for an upgrade spree. Bought the xrayv3 and xcanv3 at the show followed by the x10v3 and xpsuv3 a few weeks later and finally this m1.

The only item i am contemplating now is to change my xa1 n xa50s to the xp200 and x100. So far i have not receievd any reply from people who has used it. And was thnking to go back to floorstanders. I love my EPOS bu kind of miss the grand look of a floorstander.

Today and tomorrow is manchester av show event. Will only go tomorrow for a few hours.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hzarz Kar Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am

KenZen wrote:
I noticed that BOTH of you had the Apollo and sold it. I was originally targeting the Apollo until I read about the Paganini and I'm very happy with it. Compared very favourably against even the Esoteric! On single ended of course. Clearly more superior on balanced, which the Paganini don't have.

Heh, my bank account isn't looking very good either... this is a very bad hobby!

Actually, regarding the Rega Apollo, I was pretty happy with that player. I auditioned a lot of players and really, for that price, I found that the Apollo compared very well with a lot of more expensive players. The only reason I sold it is because I changed my source to a Mac Mini + DAC.... and it was gathering dust for a while.. and I could still get a relatively good price for it Smile

Hzarz Kar

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi all,

I am back from UK. Hooked up the ARCAM rDAC to my system and running it in for 24 hours since last night for head to head comparsion with M1 DAC.

Will give review soon.

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC 5098991236_72b7dd111b_m Musical Fidelity M1 DAC 5098390451_4daf855c5c_m

I have hooked up the rDAC with both Marantz and MF X Ray V3.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:26 pm

As mentioned in the top posting, MF will release the wireless version of M1. Here are some pictures for preview:

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC MF_6_160910
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC MF_M1%20CLiC

Supposed to be released Jan 2011. Difficult like this, only a few month using M1, then have to upgrade again.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow, that looks really, really nice! Any price indication?

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hzarz Kar Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Hmm... some news after the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in the US..

MF just released the V-Link, a 24/96 Asynchronous USB to S/PDIF converter that should pair really nicely with the M1 DAC. ON paper the M1 DAC USB input is the weakest input of the M1, but coupled with the V-link, you could get a pretty decent USB solution for not much $$ if USB input is the key consideration.

Check out the pictures here...

http://theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2010/rmaf2010_hp_musical_fidelity.htm

Having said that, the M2Tech hiFace has also been out for a while.. but more options are always a good thing. Smile

Hzarz Kar

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:43 pm

KenZen wrote:Wow, that looks really, really nice! Any price indication?

No info on price. One thing I notice about MF though, they are very weak at web-based updates. Their website must be the most boring Hifi Website. No info at all about future models, upgrade plans etc.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Hzarz Kar wrote:Hmm... some news after the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in the US..

MF just released the V-Link, a 24/96 Asynchronous USB to S/PDIF converter that should pair really nicely with the M1 DAC. ON paper the M1 DAC USB input is the weakest input of the M1, but coupled with the V-link, you could get a pretty decent USB solution for not much $$ if USB input is the key consideration.

Check out the pictures here...

http://theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2010/rmaf2010_hp_musical_fidelity.htm

Having said that, the M2Tech hiFace has also been out for a while.. but more options are always a good thing. Smile

Yes I have read about this as well. I think its MF effort to counteract on ARCAM rDAC AUSB.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Waaaaahhh I tested the MF M1 with my laptop last night. It definitely brighten things up for lossless files. Definitely at par with playing with CDs or streaming through AE. However, for low quality MP3s, it gave a shot on more bass on the overall sound. And its also giving a clicking sound when tracks are changed on iTunes.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by scwong Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:53 pm

If your MF integrated or power amps are more than 7 years of age, i suggest that you replace the power capacitors. Power caps deteriote faster compare to other smaller caps, in general, especially if it is below voltage. U be surprised with the improvement, only with perhaps rm200 of budget. I have done that on my MF P182, MF P150 and MF E100. Get the technician to check the rail voltage first in order to get the right reading and that will determine the specification for the caps.

scwong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 223

Character sheet
Source(s): cd format
Amplification: Integrated
Speakers: bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:06 pm

scwong,

Did you do yours with MF authorised technician or someone else?
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:02 pm

The M1 CliC DAC, wireless and act as a music controller will be launched soon I think. MF already put it up their website but minimal info. Just a picture and info in inputs and outputs. Teaser page.Smile

www.musicalfidelity.com
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by terencebee Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi,

Anybody got any DAC for sale.. pls pm me ya. tq
terencebee
terencebee
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:17 pm

LOL! elhefe, someone's waiting impatiently for you to upgrade. ;-)

BTW, I guess you're busy since that review of yours is still in limbo? My friend's Audio-GD NFB-1 DAC + Digital Interface with enhanced PS has since been burned in and he really likes the details it's bringing out from his Denon DVD.

Just last weekend, he carried it over to his neighbour's place to test it out on Audio Physics floorstanders, Holfi pre & power via Micromega CDP and both their jaws dropped!!! His neighbour said it even blew his newly purchased Ayre (which was away on loan unfortunately). That says a lot for a China made DAC, paired with an aged French CDP. I'm waiting for their next round of testing so I can sit in too!!! What a Face

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Kenzen,

Yes pretty busy moving house this week. Started yesterday and yes, hifi was the first item to be moved hehehhe. I didnt let the movers touch the hifi except the rack. For the ProAc, the dealer threw in a free speaker move with the purchase. The dealer will come this friday to pack and move the speaker to my new house.

Apparently the CLiC will only be launched in April. There is a speculation that they are waiting for approval from Apple for their compatible app.

The cost is also speculated to be around RM6000.

Next year, I would also want to check out Bryston, Naim and Rega DAC. See how it goes with my CDP.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 am

elhefe wrote:Kenzen,

Next year, I would also want to check out Bryston, Naim and Rega DAC. See how it goes with my CDP.

Maybe can also check out the Chord Electronics QBD76 and Indigo. They are the only company I know that makes their own chips.

But ultra expensive.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 am

Yes, I am interested in Chord DAC as well but the local dealer does not carry many models.

I managed to have a listen to Chordette Gem in the UK. I like it but they did not have stock.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:50 am

Did you read about the Antelope Zodiac DAC in another thread? "Sounds" promising.

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:19 am

Its surreal.

I have been using this DAC for a good 9 months now. Primary use is for CDP and MDP. Very satsified. Been comparing it with an ARCAm rDAC and finally decided to let go of rDAC and stick to M1 DAC.

However, for the past 2 weeks also, out of curiosity, have started to connect my laptop to the system. However, as I only had a short USB cable, so I decided to plug in straight to M6i amp instead of through this DAC. Running 320 kbps 48 kHz MP3 files and Apple Lossless files, it brings this extra life to the sound from the laptop.

And today I took one step further and purchased a longer USB cable and connected the laptop to the M1 DAC instead. I am very surprised how much improvement it made to the laptop sound. I remember that the rDAC was so famous for it so call A-USB but I cannot say that the rDAC gave the same life to the sound quality from a laptop as oppose to this M1 DAC.

And tonight I tried with FLAC. My my my.....its just out of this world. Its really heart moving and the level of details reproduced by the DAC and subsequently the whole system, just touch my soul.

If the new CLic is the same or much better than the M1, I will not even bother to audition. It will be an easy purchase.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:03 pm

If u wanna let go ur M1 DAC put me 1st in your list Razz
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dynon Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

The M1 DAC is value for money. I compared the M1 DAC with YBA WD202 and bought the YBA DAC.

dynon

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Dynon?

Value for money but bought YBA?
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dynon Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:26 pm

I bought the YBA in HK, the price is about same as M1 DAC during promotion. I bought the YBA cos i like the signature sound of YBA.

dynon

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down