Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

EI-Core, R-Core, Torroidal transformers. Your comments please.

+3
adrian4454
CT-Boy
bimmerman
7 posters

Go down

EI-Core, R-Core, Torroidal transformers. Your comments please. Empty EI-Core, R-Core, Torroidal transformers. Your comments please.

Post by bimmerman Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:49 am

Specifically which types of transformers are better on power amplification, pre amplification and which are better on analogue sources and digital sources.

Sound characteristics, pros and cons please.

Cheers y'all! Very Happy
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

EI-Core, R-Core, Torroidal transformers. Your comments please. Empty Re: EI-Core, R-Core, Torroidal transformers. Your comments please.

Post by bimmerman Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:17 am

Nobody knows? Can't be!

Ok, let me put it this way. Let's say you brought in a CD Player from the USA and you needed to change the transformer from 110V to our local 240V. What type of transformer would you use? EI-Core? Torroidal??

Tell me your personal preferences and why.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

EI-Core, R-Core, Torroidal transformers. Your comments please. Empty Re: EI-Core, R-Core, Torroidal transformers. Your comments please.

Post by CT-Boy Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 am

EI.
Its cheap.. Razz
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:38 am

I won't mind paying extra for a torroidal if it brings benefits over the EI. Which is better for a CD player, EI or Torroidal you think?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 am

You want limited knowledge explanation or not?

I dont know what is EI Core(do u refer to the standard square type trans), know very little of R-Core and know just a bit for Toroidal.

Square type Trans: More suitable for high current output.. A bit more noisy as the tendency to hum is much greater than Toroidal. EMI can be higher or lesser than Toroidal, depending on the technical improvement inside. Big size, not suitable if u want to fit in a slim height chassis.

R-Core: Use on some high quality equipment.. Dont know much about this one. Should be much lower noise thahn Toroidal with lower EMI as well.

Toroidal: Flat, low mechanical noise. Low EMI as well. But I've seen before, it is further put into a metal drum to kill Magnetic flux, like the Magnetic shield of some speaker driver.

That's all I know Smile

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 am

IMHO, There's no clear or entirely superior benefit from EI over a toroidal for sonic reasons.
Manufacturers use either for a number of reasons that suit them usually based on technical or implementation reasons.

1. Any transformer must be appropriately sized for the circuitry.
2. Must fit into their intended design. EI need a taller space, toriods are obviously slimmer and fit slim type amplifier or component design.
3. Toroids are higher current output for a given size whereas the EI equavalent will be much bigger and heavier. Say if a toroid is 30Amp output for a power amp, an EI equavalent will be much much bigger and heavier iron core and this will also increase your amplifier weight from 40kg to probably double. This isn't good for many reasons.
4. Toriods are more expensive to manufacture and its not like they'd find the best toroid manufacturer at every street corner. but manufacturer knows best on parts purchase. Please don't mention China made toroid tranny. I think they have one at every town...and have seen stacks of them gone defective for unknown reasons.
6. Manufacturing quality of a transformer is everything. Badly or probably cheaply made toroids can even internally short circuit. Bacly made EI can hum, rattle, noisy operation or worst still is lousy efficiency due to poor iron being used.
If you notice, you don't often see high end Sony ES (or many other Jap brands) using toroidals but probably highest quality Japanese OEM EI core tranny inside. I've not heard anyone complain about that? Simple case of they've done it right.
Rule of the thumb, if you want to replace your tranny, ensure correct voltage output, corrent current output, and generally high quality manufacture, and it FITS YOUR cdp or amp nicely.

My 2 sen.

cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 am

Really appreciate the factual nuggets guys. Thank you!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi bimmerman ,

If u want to fix into the cd player then R core > donut > EI core . For outboard I will use EI core that as big as possible(Va).
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 pm

So Noodle88, your preference for transformer is the R-Core then? Do you know where I can find a good one?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Go for Kitamura kiden trans, what voltage r u looking for?
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Noodle88, it's going to take about 2 weeks for the unit to arrive from USA. Once it arrives then can start measuring. I have a 240 vto 120v stepdown trans which I can use. Thanks for your help bro!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 am

Recently got to know this really "high-end" transformer mfg company from Canada called Plitron. They make power supply systems for medical grade equipment. They also untung audiophile's money by making a product called TORUS.

Some audiophile guru here will swear by it for its super abilities. I'll let the guy own up here if he wants to reveal it. Razz
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:50 am

Come out come out whoever you are Laughing
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:10 am

He can be easily recognized........got very long hair, and almost made it to your bed Very Happy
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 pm

JoKi!!! Laughing
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm

noodle88 wrote:Go for Kitamura kiden trans, what voltage r u looking for?

Noodles, where can I buy Kitamura Kiden from?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down