Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Sonic Frontiers Line Series, tubes-rolling

3 posters

Go down

Sonic Frontiers Line Series, tubes-rolling Empty Sonic Frontiers Line Series, tubes-rolling

Post by scllyt Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 pm

G'day All,

Having line 1 with 6 Sovtek tubes and need some advice on tube rolling. Very much appreciated if someone can advice me your 'perfect match' with brand(s) and position. Btw, i'm using ARC D300 and ProAc floor standing speakers.

Other queries such as:-
1. Shall we mix and match to optimize the performance (a lot of e.g. in Audiogon forum but all old posts)
2. Mullard E88CC vs. E188CC
3. Will there be sonic in different (beside longer life span) between tubes tested ~15mA vs. ~23mA

Thank you contributers!

scllyt

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Sonic Frontiers Line Series, tubes-rolling Empty Re: Sonic Frontiers Line Series, tubes-rolling

Post by ryder Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:11 pm

I don't know which model you own but I owned a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 for about 3 years. When I had the piece I tried various tubes on them(stock Sovteks, Mullards and Amperex) and to my ears the differences are subtle to the point of negligible. To my ears the different tubes do not bring any appreciable difference when used with the Line 1 preamp.

There are many posts on Audiogon describing on the effects that different tubes are able to bring to preamps in general. In my experience the sonic character of the Sonic Frontiers Line 1 (and Audio Research LS16) does not change much with different tubes.

YMMV as usual.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Sonic Frontiers Line Series, tubes-rolling Empty Re: Sonic Frontiers Line Series, tubes-rolling

Post by scllyt Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:56 pm

ryders, mine is Line 1 too. Theoretically it should makes difference in sonic even with a single tube design. I have used silikon 'O-ring' too and it makes better sounding effect vs. w/o it. Do you cap all your unused RCA/XLR? I have capped mine with Telos. Well recommended. Worth spending.

scllyt

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Scyllyt,
I did not do anything to the preamp other than swapping different tubes in it. I did try the O-ring on the tubes and it made a subtle difference. Again, to my ears the differences are very small. I wouldn't have bought a dozen of NOS tubes to try out should I have known about the results earlier.

I didn't try the Telos. I did read about the sonic benefits of the Telos caps. I don't have many RCA sockets on my preamp so I am afraid I can't try the Telos.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by brabusm Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:46 pm

The Mullard E188C are amazing rich and lush sounding. I have a matched pair for one of my CDP. NOS that costed me about USD200 each.

brabusm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by scllyt Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Will look out for Mullard E188CC, thanks. Currently waiting a pair of Telefunken and Mullard E88CC to test from a kaki..

scllyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down