Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact?

+6
M7
dheensay
scudracer
hangleng
azri
gavstang
10 posters

Go down

High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact? Empty High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact?

Post by gavstang Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:25 pm

I have read many differing views regarding the impact high end audio cables have on audio systems and would love to have some feedback on whether members believe there are any differences between inexpensive cables all the way up to exorbitantly priced audio cables.

Apparently, most perceived improvements to an audio system from usage of high end audio cables have been explained by listener bias and the "placebo effect".

More famously, James Randi a famous scientific skeptic has issued a $1 milllion dollar challenge to anyone who could prove their ability to prove they could distinguish between high end audio cables from ordinary cables but as yet no one has taken the test.

I personally upgraded my interconnects recently and swore there was a difference but perhaps I was merely trying too hard to justify the money spent?
gavstang
gavstang

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact? Empty Re: High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact?

Post by azri Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:42 am

on this, i have no solid experience except between coax & optical
perhaps the application is more realistic with tube amps, or
those amps that generates much heat, like those huge monoblocks etc

from what i know, the source, amps, dacs, buffers, speakers,
caps in amps, jitter clocks, caps in xovers, caps in dacs,
that gaves lots of diff. interconnects? no, not really.

its more to 'sedapkan hati'?? hehe

just mho
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact? Empty Re: High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact?

Post by gavstang Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:20 am

Truth is, Im very skeptical of touted expensive cables and inter connects. Especially speaker cables for AV systems when the cabling length is more than 50ft! What bloody difference does high quality cabling make when the signal has to travel so far?
gavstang
gavstang

Back to top Go down

Post by hangleng Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:55 am

I believe that there are differences between cables as the materials in each cable are made up differently. So the inductance and speed for transferring signals may vary. Some are good for bass but some are better for mid and higher frequencies. I personally noticed the differences when switching cables but definitely it doesn't mean that the more expensive cable will yield better sound. Sometimes you just need to match; a simple wire may do just nice to match your system. The best evaluation still is your ear, not the money.

hangleng
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstang Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 am

I love that dude! Best sound being money in the pocket!
gavstang
gavstang

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstang Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:07 am

Any recommendations then on wires? Unfortunately I'm not much of a DIYer and have ZERO knowldege abt preparing my own wires.
gavstang
gavstang

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Tue May 05, 2009 2:24 am

My speaker cables are the stock Bose ones. Simple stuff but RM150 or something like that. Felt like a rip-off but I got em anyway. CD to amp interconnects are the stock white and red plug with black cable type which came in the box with my Marantz SA7001KI player. Amp is a Marantz PM7200 and speakers are Bose 301s.

For further reading on audio voodoo skepticism google 'Douglas Self'. Without prejudice, there is a lot of voodoo floating around regarding amplification.
Furthermore, reviews having descriptions ('Warm', 'Smooth', 'Harsh',
etc.) which are immeasurable and/or unquantifiable further confuse customers. Until there is firm evidence to the contrary, I shall remain a skeptic but continue to enjoy music itself.
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-19

http://www.bikervoodoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Tue May 05, 2009 7:22 am

A good point i read someplace is that before you get to the actual cable-ing, you should first be getting clean power from your wall socket. If you are utilising one socket for various components, then it will not be clean power. And thereain lies the beginning of the problem - current source which isnt up to the mark.

I personally have had little experience with power cords and jumpers (i am sceptical) but have just started playing around with speaker cables & intercons. I find that the differences are subtle (what good is it buying high end speaker cables when the internal cables of your speakers are crap) Laughing

Remember, listeing to music is personal, and therefore there is no right or wrong - even if the difference is only "perceived" or as someone put it - a placebo.

Maybe the best thing to do is to get all your components right first, ie. you are happy with the system..... and then try to "tweek" it with cables at your own leisure.

Cheers

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by M7 Tue May 05, 2009 8:51 pm

good interconnects & speakers can make your system sound very transparent

you can feel that your room is much bigger than actual
M7
M7
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by royroy Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:17 pm

speaker cable n p0wer cable...thin better or thick better?? coz market got sum thin cable expensive than thick 1....

royroy
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:09 am

royroy wrote:speaker cable n p0wer cable...thin better or thick better?? coz market got sum thin cable expensive than thick 1....

Thin doesn't mean better...
...and Thick doesn't mean better as well. High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact? Icon_razz

It depends on the cable designs and technologies.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 am

Agreed with the first part..!
But I tweak no more when I am happy with what I hear.. High-End Audio Cables: Myth or Fact? Icon_cheers

dheensay wrote:
Maybe the best thing to do is to get all your components right first, ie. you are happy with the system..... and then try to "tweek" it with cables at your own leisure.

Cheers

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:37 pm

scudracer wrote:My speaker cables are the stock Bose ones. Simple stuff but RM150 or something like that. Felt like a rip-off but I got em anyway. CD to amp interconnects are the stock white and red plug with black cable type which came in the box with my Marantz SA7001KI player. Amp is a Marantz PM7200 and speakers are Bose 301s.

For further reading on audio voodoo skepticism google 'Douglas Self'. Without prejudice, there is a lot of voodoo floating around regarding amplification.
Furthermore, reviews having descriptions ('Warm', 'Smooth', 'Harsh',
etc.) which are immeasurable and/or unquantifiable further confuse customers. Until there is firm evidence to the contrary, I shall remain a skeptic but continue to enjoy music itself.

Skeptisms and reading what other people write aside. Have you gone and ventured out to ACTUALLY trying some cables and see if u could hear the difference ? If you are keen, I am happy to oblidge and bring over a pair of "some hi-fi branded" interconnects and/or speaker cables to try in your system.

i wont tell you how much it costs, nor what brand are they. But they certainly look different than those black cables that come free with most equipment.

Game to try ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down