Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Super tweeters

+16
Cooltube
lavender
car o scope
robinlcc
tycham
CN Yee
sflam
daddy
tannoy
azri
htkaki
skooi3
wabun
chua55
M7
- br@d -
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Super tweeters - Page 2 Empty Re: Super tweeters

Post by chua55 Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:21 pm

If you have not heard the sound of Supertweeters, go try it out before passing judgement.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by lavender Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:13 pm

chua55 wrote:If you have not heard the sound of Supertweeters, go try it out before passing judgement.

Precisely Super tweeters - Page 2 Icon_cool

lavender
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:06 am

ok, i hv been googling around trying to find answers. the following is from another forum. the link is:
http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/archive/index.php?t-175.html

it offers the best answer that i have discovered so far as to why a supertweeter without any output above 20kHz can change the perception of sound even in the mid and bass frequencies.

"petercom - 11th January 2006, 09:07 AM
It's fascinating to read all your comments, and many of them pick up on some of the myth and magic that surrounds hi-fi. There is some evidence that we can 'hear' or, more accurately, sense frequencies above and below the limits of the human ear, whether we do it with our skin or our internal organs.

However the main difference you get by adding a so-called super tweeter to your speakers is an 'enhancement' of the treble by the additional output and, depending on the super tweeter, a change in energy response in the room at high frequencies due to alterations in dispersion.

In other words you are adding a second treble unit in parallel with the first and, even though you think you have put in a crossover at 7, 10 or 15kHz, the super-tweeter still adds energy below the crossover frequency because the crossover slopes used are usually quite gentle. Secondly most super tweeters are put on top of the speaker where they can radiate into the room far better than a treble unit on a baffle. The level of high frequency radiation bouncing round the room is thus enhanced.

In my view far more stringent tests are needed to 'prove' an extended frequency response from speakers actually enhances our enjoyment of music. There is a good case for extended response in other electrical components, but this is more to do with the distortion produced by filtration than any myths about extended response. The case for extended response from loudspeakers rests on phase discrepancies that occur as the output from a drive unit falls away. Currently loudspeakers have such poor phase coherence, and such high distortion, that extending their response is the least of our worries.

That is not to say that a few firms have not made a good living out of taking a bog standard treble unit, putting it in a fancy wooden enclosure and selling it as a 'super tweeter' for a king's ransom - they have, and quite successfully. It is that form of marketing that creates the myths that we swallow and then regurgitate to our innocent friends."

Later in the same thread, petercom said: "When designing a speaker (and others may have noticed this), making a small change to the treble crossover often has a bigger effect on the bass response. This is because the balance of the speaker is changed and your ear picks up the change where it occurs across the biggest proportion of the speaker output (e.g. a change in treble level around the crossover at 3kHz shifts the balance towards, or away from, the overall level between 50 - 800Hz).

Similarly a tweak to the output of a treble unit above 7kHz can sharpen up the detailing and impact of the midrange.

I would expect the addition of another treble unit (super or not) which added output gradually above, say, 10kHz to make the bass seem faster with a better transient response.

It's all a question of balance."

So if what petercom said is correct, then the supertweeter is augmenting the existing tweeter at "hearable" frequencies which could explain the improved clarity reported by supertweeter fans and since it is placed on top of the speaker, it improves the dispersion of high notes which could explain the "airier" and more "spacious" sound.
Also, the supertweeter is augmenting the mid because it is crossed over at a gentle slope and it is adding more mid-frequencies to the sound and that could explain the improved mids reported.
And since the balance is changed, the bass is perceived as better.

but that does not mean i will buy one.
tx, blessed christmas and a happy new year to all.

sunny

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelyong Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:48 pm

BTW where can I find a decent pair of Ultra Tweeter with cheap price to try it out?

Michaelyong

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:50 pm

get the eminence supertweeter (8ohm) and buy a pair of lantern at Ikea + some simple 1 st order crossover (of course u need the JenSen oil cap, aluminium will do), woo lah.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelyong Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:10 pm

chua55 wrote:get the eminence supertweeter (8ohm) and buy a pair of lantern at Ikea + some simple 1 st order crossover (of course u need the JenSen oil cap, aluminium will do), woo lah.

Sorry I'm a newbee why buy a pair of lantern at Ikea?
and where can I get the crossover too?

Michaelyong

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 am

if you go down to singapore Martin Electronics, there is an old untie, with > 30 years of tube experience , makes the supertweeter out of the Ikea lantern. and the cable uses a pair of RM 1/m with a 20 sens switch.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 pm

chua55,

Perhaps you can explain how to configure the eminence supertweeter (8ohm) with the lantern at Ikea + ??? Can you post some pictures and the link on the Spore Aunty who has done it ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:11 pm

check google for martin electronics + old untie

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 7810sam Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:11 pm

chua55 wrote:get the eminence supertweeter (8ohm) and buy a pair of lantern at Ikea + some simple 1 st order crossover (of course u need the JenSen oil cap, aluminium will do), woo lah.

Where to buy this speakers. Anywhere to look for quality super tweeter
beside this eminence.
I'm trying to for this brand called Beyma which is recomemded for my speakers. Hv tried pasar road but no avail.

7810sam
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:46 am

my best advice is go down singapore and get the supertweeters yourself. you will not regret it.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelyong Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:37 am

my best advice is go down singapore and get the supertweeters yourself. you will not regret it.

Can u provide me the info where can get supertweeters?

Michaelyong

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:32 pm

The ultimate super tweeter - 44 tweeters for the higher octaves!

Super tweeters - Page 2 Tweeter3

More here:
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/failproj/failproj.htm

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by CKHOO Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:15 pm

www.ls35at.lelong.com.my