Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

How do we check the condition for an used amplifier?

+6
mad.onenad
tycham
adrian4454
hasnul
pakleng
sitizak
10 posters

Go down

How do we check the condition for an used amplifier? Empty How do we check the condition for an used amplifier?

Post by sitizak Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 pm

How do we check the condition for an used amplifier?

What should we take care of?

sitizak

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

How do we check the condition for an used amplifier? Empty Re: How do we check the condition for an used amplifier?

Post by pakleng Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 pm

see whether any rust on the pcb

whether leaking caps etc.

pakleng
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

How do we check the condition for an used amplifier? Empty Re: How do we check the condition for an used amplifier?

Post by hasnul Sun May 17, 2009 11:16 pm

Or worst case for any used tube/valve amps : Wax leakage on output transformers !!
hasnul
hasnul
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega P3 + Yamaha WXC-50 Streamer
Amplification: Rega Elex-R
Speakers: ATC SCM12

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon May 18, 2009 11:10 am

If a proper checking to really take place, u need to open the cover. Check for any sloppy repair, (example: glue gun glue being used, dropping of solders, wire tie cut out inside). Not all amps are free from repair. And most second-hand amps on the market may have gotten repaired somehow. Ya Rust on PCB links.

Best thing is, dont buy anything too old; like 10 yrs. Except u intend to rebuild or restore it.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon May 18, 2009 12:13 pm

adrian4454 wrote:

Best thing is, dont buy anything too old; like 10 yrs. Except u intend to rebuild or restore it.

The pre and power amp I bought on ebay from Scotland recently is more than 20 years (June 1987) and it is in excellent physical and working condition.

Before buying I requested for additional photos and this very nice and honest guy even dismantled the units and took photos of the interior. Everything inside was original and in excellent condition.

I guess if want to buy old amps, make sure seller is willing to open up for checking of the interior to see if all parts are original.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by mad.onenad Mon May 18, 2009 12:55 pm

hi tycham, ur member pic is so cute. he must be enjoying ur 20 yr old amp v much. Very Happy .sorry to be out of topic.

mad.onenad
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by pakleng Mon May 18, 2009 3:20 pm

my friend bought a Sugden A21 built in 1967

condition is tip top!

pakleng
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon May 18, 2009 4:30 pm

We might also need knowledge on the original designs of the item that we are buying, right?

We hardly know whether the electronic components have been replaced or repaired previously.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm

An experienced electronics person can tell if an amp is repaired or not. Yes it takes experience by looking carefully at solder joints and inspection of electronic parts that may reveal some upgrade or mods somewhere in its life. There's always high chance of tell tale signs on repair jobs seen at the pcb solderside or point to point joints and replaced parts if any. Of course if there's a known history, it helps. As with anything else, if repairs and mods are done well, there shouldn't be premature failure or problems.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Wed May 20, 2009 11:50 pm

I realise that our country is high humidity and can corrode metal parts faster than those cold/low humidity countries. I came across expatriates amps that even 29 years old nad input output rca jacks looks like new. even internal part is new.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hywong2005 Thu May 21, 2009 10:14 am

[quote="tycham"]

The pre and power amp I bought on ebay from Scotland recently is more than 20 years (June 1987) and it is in excellent physical and working condition.

Glad you made a good buy.

Could you kindly share your experience how the used hi-fi equipment was imported particularly the Customs clearance. My main concern in buying used hi-fi from overseas is the taxes.

Thanks in advance.
hywong2005
hywong2005
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Thu May 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi hywong2005

Sorry but I have no experience with Malaysian custom clearances, but I do supposed courier like DHL and Fedex would handle it at a cost like they do for the GST charges at SGD10.00 per item.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu May 21, 2009 1:37 pm

hoyhoysum wrote:I realise that our country is high humidity and can corrode metal parts faster than those cold/low humidity countries. I came across expatriates amps that even 29 years old nad input output rca jacks looks like new. even internal part is new.

Now only you realize ah?.. As long as we live in this country, the weather and humidity is one of the harshest ever. Thats why lots of used gear looks terrible only after a few years. Even paint manufacturer dare guarantee exterior paint for only 5 years, no more.
CD's become mouldy, LP covers fade and mouldy too all after some years.
Have to find a way to reduce humidity and costly. Migrate?
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Thu May 21, 2009 9:34 pm

No need to migrate, just use it as an excuse to buy new thingslah. Why keep old things?....tell that to me i keep old things look at my avatar...hehe
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down