Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Spray painting a vintage amp

5 posters

Go down

Spray painting a vintage amp Empty Spray painting a vintage amp

Post by Bite Mon May 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Picked up a vintage amp and thinking of having it spray painted to restore it to former glory.

Should I DIY? and if so, can anybody provide tips on how to do a good job (an even coat, no streaking, lumps), any particular type of paint etc.

Alternatively, is there someone who can do a good job and at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Spray painting a vintage amp Empty Re: Spray painting a vintage amp

Post by cmboy Mon May 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Strip everything, DIY use acid paint remover to strip old paint (very carefully done as its corrosive), wash down, oil it to prevent rust, then send to car spray paint shop and tell them to spray as if its new car body panel, multicoats of primer, color and top coat. Yes, it may cost some $$ but well worth it if you're going to keep your amp. No other suggestion going on the cheap. DIY spray can from hardware shop (Rm6?) will NOT last. trust me!. Done this b4. Tough DIY job and tedious work. Unless you've spray paint skills with air compressor and 2k spray gun. Don't DIY..hazardous!

Note: there's thousands of spray paint shops around Klang valley, take your pick. It depends on how busy they are and whether they can accomodate your small job. Its up to your negotiation skills on price and your expectations. Good luck!
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Mon May 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi cmboy,

Thanks. Got someone who may just be able to do the spray.......a body works shop.

Ok let me take a look at the amp tonight to see whether I can get past the first stage of taking her apart. Will drop you a line if I need further clarification/ input.

rgs

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon May 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Yes, automotive bodyworks shop are equipped to deal with spray painting. Ive done DIY spray painting on other things like refurbishing furniture or other items, done on some amp chassis too, but I don't like doing this as its hazardous, depending on the weather and hopefully dust free. One speck of dust can ruin the painting.
Systematically dismantling an amp and assembling back is also another tedious chore and I hope you know what you're doing. Take pics of each step if you're not sure and keep fasteners and tid bits systematically in container/s. Strip EVERYTHING where possible to enable complete paint job.
The next depends on how well the painter does the job. Its time consuming.
Oh well.. good luck!
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Mon May 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Ok!.... was it Mark Twain who said" whenever I have the urge to exercise....i sit back until the urge goes away" perhaps not in those exact word but close enough.

Need to clean the insides anyway so will remove the top cover tonight and have a look see. Decide then whether I am up to the task.

Thanks.

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Mon May 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi guys. This is just my opinion (i manufacture aluminium furniture for a living).

Firstly - it depends on whether the current amp facade has been spray coated or is anodized. Anodized = electrolysis process to get color to permanently stick.

I believe many casings in hifi equip are aluminium & are anodized instead of spray painted - so please do check!! An anodized casing cannot be peeled off when it is scratched (unlike spray painting/epoxy coating).

If it is anodized, i would recommend sanding the whole thing down (dont worry if all the old color doesnt come off) and getting it powder coated (80% of a successful paint job is down to the preperation).

Powder coating is quite simple and very affordable. For black it will cost you in the region of about RM10-00 and will only take about an hour (coating + oven baking) to have it done. I would suggest going with a matte finish.

Hope this helps.

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon May 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm assuming poster picked up really vintage tube amp and I've not seen old vintage tube amps thats with powder coated finish. Powder coating is rugged, practical, durable, almost scratchproof but it stops there. In short, power coating is crude, economical and durable industrial finish but doesn't contribute to finesse or first class finish looks. I still prefer a good automotive finish to match the original color of a vintage amplifier. To its former glory, he said?.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Powder coating is not crude as you believe. As i have suggested - preperation is the key, same as with spray painting. Cut corners here and the end result will be flakey, uneven and unrefined. In short - shoddy

Dupont, Kossan, Jotun (and a host of other brands) have a wide selection of colors and various finishes. Matte black would probably work best with a vintage amp as opposed to gloss IMO.

BITE - you may also consider a "hammertone" finish for a truly antique look Smile

Cheers

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by pakleng Mon May 18, 2009 5:36 pm

my friend just resprayed his amp

sent to car sprayer

metallic black 2k paint

looks very beautiful

pakleng
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Its entirely a personal preference what an owner intends as to the kind of finish. Painted with whatever, it does NOTHING to contribute to better sound quality. Its merely restoration or beautification process. Anyway, whatever the route for vintage stuff, take the opportunity to renew any old electronic parts , wiring or accessories if they're dodgy or unsafe for another long lifespan.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Mon May 18, 2009 11:27 pm

I was hoping to DIY the spray paint job and looking for a way to get a good finish without having to take the amp apart (must admit, didnt quite cross my mind). The Sansui AU222 albeit a vintage doesnt warrant inordinate expenditure.

The bodyworks shop wants RM500 for a two coat job while powder coating RM1000. Reckons thats a bit rich for the triple 2 and the issue with removing the innards and getting it all back into place correctly. The amp is working fine and not worth the risk.

Another option available to me is to fabricate solid timber panels for the sides and top for a fraction of the cost with quality nyatoh or yellow merbau. Looking into the ventilation aspect and whether the bottom plate/chassis and rear can be removed as a whole. Believe it can be done. A worthwhile exercise pending the triple one. Not an original restoration but she will look just as good.

Thanks all the same for your feedback. Much appreciated.

BITE

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue May 19, 2009 1:45 am

Hi Bite,
The quote you get certainly is not cheap and not worth it especially if the cost of paint job is higher than the Sansui amp itself. On your plan to fabricate wood panels for the top and sides, you might want to reconsider that option as modification of this nature would affect the resale value of the amp although I am not sure how you would do it. You are correct that ventilation may be a problem especially if the amp has ventilation holes on the existing panels.

Maybe you would want to get a few more quotes from other bodyworks shop for comparison purposes to get a cheaper rate. If you are going for solid wood panels and prefer a high-gloss kind of finish like the grand piano, a piano restoration shop may be able to give you that but then again the cost may come out to be a bomb which will eventually render the whole process not viable. In the end you might want to leave the amp as it is.

Good luck.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Tue May 19, 2009 1:58 am

Bite - are you looking at refurbishing the inner chasis as well or just the facade ?

If just the facade - have a pro open her up and send it to me. I will get it polished and epoxy coated in any color you like, except pink. Your cost = Just buy me a couple of beers after its done.

PM me if you are up for it.

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down