Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Can A Loose Stylus Of An MC Cartridge Be Salvaged?

+3
bassraptor
WongKK
ryder
7 posters

Go down

Can A Loose Stylus Of An MC Cartridge Be Salvaged?  Empty Can A Loose Stylus Of An MC Cartridge Be Salvaged?

Post by ryder Sat May 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I need to kick myself for being so careless. I am not aware that these things are so sensitive. As I was moving the tonearm, a slight knock of the stylus created a loud thud sound. I did not notice anything amiss until several minutes of play. Music on a particular track started to lose control and distort. I went to the turntable to check and noticed the cartridge is wobbling and moving from left to right. Apparently the stylus is loose. It is not broken and just loose and leaning to one side.

It may be time for me to get a new cart but I was just wondering if there is a slight possibility that the old cart can be salvaged by MacGyver methods.

Thanks.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Can A Loose Stylus Of An MC Cartridge Be Salvaged?  Empty Re: Can A Loose Stylus Of An MC Cartridge Be Salvaged?

Post by WongKK Sun May 22, 2011 7:30 am

There is nothing you can do. Your cartridge needs to be rebuilt. Someone local might be able to do it, but your best bet is to send it back to the factory.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-11-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL-99V
Amplification: Cary SLP-05, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S
Speakers: Acapella High Violon

Back to top Go down

Can A Loose Stylus Of An MC Cartridge Be Salvaged?  Empty Re: Can A Loose Stylus Of An MC Cartridge Be Salvaged?

Post by bassraptor Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 am

What cartridge is it, Ryder?

Yah, think once it's lost its structural integrity, nothing sort of a retip (some can't be, though) ... or rebuild.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun May 22, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks for the responses. Cartridge is AT33PTG. The nearest Audio Technica service centre is in Singapore but not too sure if there is expertise to get the cart rebuilt. I don't think it can be re-tipped though. It's not too costly but condition is quite new, probably used just less than 50 hours that prompted me to salvage it. The other reason is the 33PTG sounded pretty darn good and the 33EV that costs almost twice the price does not sound as engaging as its predecessor.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun May 22, 2011 10:17 am

If you need to go to Singapore, then by the time you factor in the cost of shipping, or the trip itself, plus re-tipping or repair, then you might well find that a new catridge is not that much more expensive. I think there are plenty of very good catridge available at reasonable prices. You know where to check; 'That' SS2 shop, Amcorp mall, and NOVA at Jaya1 are some of the places I know have a good selection of good sounding catridges for sale.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Tue May 31, 2011 7:34 pm

i had a dynavector 10x3 which suffered the same fate. the stylus went bengkok and then fell off.
so i kept the cartridge body hoping that i could retip it.
one day i was at 'That' SS2 shop and 'That' owner saw the dynavector body and asked me why I was keeping it.
i said i wanted to retip it.
he told me to throw it away cos it is not worth retipping.
retipping is only for the really expensive cartridges costing RM7-8k upwards.
it's not worthwhile to retip cheaper cartridges cos the cost of retipping may amount to more than RM1k, so u might as well buy a new one.

also my cartridge was several generations old. no point retipping old and lower-end cartridges.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 am

Ryder...

Understand your predicament, was there, done that and discarded the stylus and got myself a new unit.

It's painful Sad but look at the bright side sunny , a new unit with different charateristics to explore....sounds tempting... Smile no doubt the additional expenses.

As most have said, not cost effective to retip an average costing cartridge compared to a premium cartridge.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:48 pm

There are some tonearms I've seen which have somewhat a design flaw having a void between its fully retracted position and the arm lift support. This void may allow the arm to drop below the playing surface or platter. An own mistake of allowing it to fall or mishandling can result in the cartrirge hitting or landing in the wrong place. Ideally, when the lifter is up position, the arm must always be way above the platter or record in its entire sweep.
Sorry to hear the costly mistake. I dread to hear this happen if it was a very very costly mega buck cartridge.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down