Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

High-Resolution Digital Music Server Choices

+8
arremie
VS126
DrWho
elhefe
joeling
sflam
tycham
shbehmal
12 posters

Go down

High-Resolution Digital Music Server Choices Empty High-Resolution Digital Music Server Choices

Post by shbehmal Tue May 31, 2011 8:24 am

Hi fellows, I would like to ask those in the known which of the below is the better way of hosting HR ( 24/192 ) digital music playback :-

1) Laptop PC via USB
2) Mac Mini via USB
3) Dedicated music only media player.

As for no. 3, if it is better then 1 and 2, please inform me the make and price.

Thanks in advance

shbeh

shbehmal
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

High-Resolution Digital Music Server Choices Empty Re: High-Resolution Digital Music Server Choices

Post by tycham Tue May 31, 2011 6:12 pm

I am also keen to know as I have not try 1) & 2).
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

High-Resolution Digital Music Server Choices Empty Re: High-Resolution Digital Music Server Choices

Post by sflam Tue May 31, 2011 7:01 pm

if u already own a laptop, then No 1 is the way to go cos u don't hv to spend extra.

if u already own a mac mini, then No 2 is the way to go for the same reason.

however, if u r starting from scratch, then u hv to decide whether to go the windows or the mac os way.

with windows, u hv a larger choice of music players like foobar, media monkey, winamp, j river etc.

but take note that not many dacs can accept 24/192 via usb. many cheaper ones can only handle 16/48 via usb and i know that the new ayre qb-9 can accept 24/192 via usb. even the benchmark that i am using can only accept 24/96 via usb.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Tue May 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks sflam,
I have tried out deck top PC using J River with window vista operating system, the dac that I have bought can handle up to 24/192.
I found that desk top pc is extremely inconvenient and I am looking to find a host that is better sounding among the three options mentioned above. Any body ever compared the sound quality of dedicated digital music player ( I can only think of Bryston BDP-1 now ) compare to PC host or Mac host ?

Thanks

shbehmal
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Tue May 31, 2011 9:39 pm

when i tested the bryston bdp-1, it sounded better connected to the bryston dac with aes-ebu compared with the laptop connected to the bryston dac via usb.

bear in mind bryston dac's usb accepts 16/48.

to level the playing field, i played ripped cd 16/44.1 files from the bdp-1 to the dac via aes/ebu and the same files from the laptop to the dac via usb.

at that time, the bryston combo sounded richer and fuller. however, the usb cable at that time was the stock cable. now i am using a furutech usb cable which makes the sound fuller and richer.

it's all a question of matching. the bryston combo matched very well, and the bdp-1 linked to the benchmark did not sound as good (but the connection was not aes/ebu but a low-quality coax to bnc).

if u can, get a bdp-1 and find out if it matches your dac.

someone just told me that with the bdp-1 linked to a weiss, some hires files could not be processed.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 pm

My biggest gripe with the Bryston is that it does not read Chinese
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 pm

sflam wrote:someone just told me that with the bdp-1 linked to a weiss, some hires files could not be processed.

Seem that cPlay also encounter similar problem with the Weiss DAC202 as described here.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:14 am

The Olive O6HD might be an option here:

http://www.olive.us/products/music_servers/olive6hd/specs.html
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 am

@shbelmal
If you do not have phobia with China made audio product, you may want to consider HiFiDiy APE Player. It handles 3 type of storage medias HDD, SD and USB and plays 44/16 thru to 192/24. This player is connected to my Weiss DAC202 via the SPDIF coax and it performs well.
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 pm

DrWho wrote:@shbelmal
If you do not have phobia with China made audio product, you may want to consider HiFiDiy APE Player. It handles 3 type of storage medias HDD, SD and USB and plays 44/16 thru to 192/24. This player is connected to my Weiss DAC202 via the SPDIF coax and it performs well.

I have my Mini Ape Player to my Wyred Dac2 using spdif. It accepts Wav, Flac, Ape and other compressed format.
44/16 thru 24/192 but got some issues with 24/96 vinyl rips.

Sounds better than from Macbook / Laptop.

Forget about Olive or SB Touch, they are lifestyle item, for the mp3 generation.
VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:37 pm

VS126 wrote:
DrWho wrote:@shbelmal

I have my Mini Ape Player to my Wyred Dac2 using spdif. It accepts Wav, Flac, Ape and other compressed format.
44/16 thru 24/192 but got some issues with 24/96 vinyl rips.

Sounds better than from Macbook / Laptop.

Forget about Olive or SB Touch, they are lifestyle item, for the mp3 generation.

Sometime ago a friend tried his MacMini via firewire in my system. The MacMini sounded inferior compared to my transporter. The APE sounds very close to my transporter but less superior. APE is good value for $$$.
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Try changing the RCA analogue output of yr ape to WBT and you will get a surprise.
VS126
VS126

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:33 pm

My player came with an in built DAC board. I have removed it. The player now acts only as a digital streamer.
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 pm

The HiFiDIY APE player looks similar to Musical Fidelity CLiC universal music player. But I guess comparing the price between them, I guess CLiC is considered lifestyle product as well.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Anyone use Linn here?

What about iPod with Wadia Dock...
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Source(s): Oppo
Amplification: Parasound
Speakers: Klipsch

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 pm

I am using Wadia 170i dock. Connected to my old MF XDAC via coaxial. Some of my music is MP3 at 320kbps 48 kHz. There are some difference in the details compared to lossless files.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Why the DAC in Wadia not good? Or does it just a transport. Is MF VDAC is the new version of XDAC right?
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Wadia is just a dock. It takes the digital files from your ipod and let external DAC do the processing. There is also an option for normal RCA connection and you can use the iPod onboard DAC.

I would not say VDAC is a replacement of XDAC as XDAC is a model of 12 years ago. In between VDAC and XDAC, there were many other DACs by MF.

I still keep the XDAC because it also decided HDCD which I have a collection of it.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 pm

If Wadia just a transport then it's a pretty expensive one. Might as well just use RCA to mini jack cable and connect ipod directly without the dock Razz

Yeah I know VDAC is not a direct replacement but it's on the same level is it? I was thinking of getting one but not sure if 1k is worth the price.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 pm

To be frank, if you are using new gen ipod touch or iphone4, yes I do agree RCA to mini jackis sufficient as their onboard DAC to me is quite decent. But the older ipods (i am using the an ipod from 2005), thats when Wadia is good.

If you wait for KLIAV 2011, I am quite sure you can get the VDAC for below RM1000.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Thank you all for your valuable input.
I really don't care where the player's country of origin is as long as it sounds good. After all, that is what all of us audiophile look for. Good quality sound.

shbehmal
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 pm

elhefe wrote:To be frank, if you are using new gen ipod touch or iphone4, yes I do agree RCA to mini jackis sufficient as their onboard DAC to me is quite decent. But the older ipods (i am using the an ipod from 2005), thats when Wadia is good.

If you wait for KLIAV 2011, I am quite sure you can get the VDAC for below RM1000.
I thought the 5th generation iPod (iPod Video) has the best DAC of all (it's Wolfson) but the new one simply doesn't cut it except you get bigger storage. I wonder how much VDAC is selling in SG. Should be cheaper I think but hard to say since their currency has gone up.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA4 Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I have the Linn Majik and it sounds plenty good to me.

"Almost" as good as listening to LPs "live" but with the convenience.

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 am

I see that VS126 is using a picture of my acoustic diffusors as his profile pic. I have a pair installed at my room's first reflection points.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 pm

hifikrazy wrote:I see that VS126 is using a picture of my acoustic diffusors as his profile pic. I have a pair installed at my room's first reflection points.

Custom made?Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:38 pm

elhefe wrote:
hifikrazy wrote:I see that VS126 is using a picture of my acoustic diffusors as his profile pic. I have a pair installed at my room's first reflection points.

Custom made?Smile

Custom made with extensive testing... Razz

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Then you need to be shot lar. You got the 'thing' facing the wrong way ! Damn frustrating. Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 pm

My room not so symmetrical so after much trial and error, I found that what works best is one side facing in, and the other side facing out. Idea The facing out side seems to absorb too much of the high frequencies.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:34 pm

It's not because it was too distracting ?
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 pm

I thought it is a planar speaker.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:50 pm

I am planning to hang a picture of that on my wall instead. But I will hang it the other side facing out ! Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 pm

tycham wrote:

I thought it is a planar speaker.

I would have to disagree... What's in the pic is anything but planar, based on the dictionary description of planar meaning "flat, 2 dimensional".

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by eagleray Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi All
Here's my setup for High Res Streaming Digital Music Setup

Sonos ZP-90 Mod by wyred4sound (48/192)
http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/539960

Hegel HD10 DAC (24/192)
http://www.hegel.com/hd10.htm

Jolida 302 Tube Amp

The music library is stored on a NAS and streamed wireless via Sonos BR100

The Hegel DAC takes in USB too ... you can just plug-in laptop USB out to it too.

eagleray

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down