Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ

+7
f8.
wingman
WongKN
cmboy
kychoo99
Cremona
ambg
11 posters

Go down

where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ Empty where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ

Post by ambg Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:26 am

Hi All,
Would need your kind input of where around KL & PJ area where i can get/purchase quality press/produce CD (imported but not those china product like seen in popular bookshop).

Looking for Western, japanese mandarin album/title.

Thanks in advance.
ambg
ambg
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ Empty Re: where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ

Post by Cremona Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:34 am

Hi ambg,

You can try victoria music in BSC or better, buy direct from HMV.co.jp Change language to English at top right of main page. HMV sends by ems with tracking and normally gets to m'sia within 3days. Large selection and good pricing. Should b ok as i have been buying for years. Don't get greedy n order too much. 5 disc n below n u should not have problems with customs. Good luck Very Happy

Cremona

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ Empty Re: where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ

Post by kychoo99 Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:07 pm

The small CD stall at level 2 Am Corp Mall which opened on every Sunday (12pm to 5pm) have plenty of quality imported western, Japanese & mandarin title at a reasonable price. Alternatively, you may opt for some of the Audio Shop like, CMY, A & L etc which have plenty of imported & quality cd. The last resort, would be cd shops like Victoria Station & Rock Corner which have branches at various shopping mall like Sg Wang, BSC, Am Corp Mall & Mid Valley. Last resort because although they too have a wide selection of imported & quality CD, their pricing would be slightly more expensive compared to direct import or the stall at Amp Corp Mall. And when you talk about CD shopping ~ can be a painful experience sometimes (to the wallet) & for me, most of the time going to the above shops is like a kid entering a candy / toy shop - i want this , i want that, arrrrrggghh, end of the day, my cd purchase is many times more expensive than my equipment. rabbit So, have been refraining myself from going too often to these places but enjoy your shopping ~
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-01-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Wadia
Amplification: Krell + Mcintosh
Speakers: Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by ambg Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Cremona,

Thanks for your advice especially the link to HMV.co.jp but just need to confirm, is it means that, as long the CD being indicate "Item Sourced From : Japan", it is pressed/product in Japan?

Based on your experience if the singer is from a certain location (i.e. Emi Fujita, Olivia Ong, Faye Wong etc) will a same title album from HongKong, Taiwan or Japan press be the same in term of sound quality? If not usually which will be preferred source?

Many Thanks.

ambg
ambg
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ambg Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi kychoo99,

Thanks for kind input and guidance, definitely will pay those mentioned location a visit. Any chance of those places mentioned allow for an audition on the CD available (especially if being those audiophiles album but might be unknown to me due to my limited knowledge on it).

But as for the specific album i'm looking for, the audition/test on the CD can be exempted.

Cheers.
ambg
ambg
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi ambg,

You can audition the ones at Victoria station & Rock Corner. As for the Hifi shop, you can too if you happens to know the sales person at that particular shop or when it is not a busy day for them. The stall at AM Corp Mall, unfortunately, is without any equipment for you to audition. Hence, you might want to purchase only those title that is known to u or that you have audition before via the internet (you tube, mp3 file etc).

Last edited by kychoo99 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:45 pm

ambg wrote:Hi Cremona,

Based on your experience if the singer is from a certain location (i.e. Emi Fujita, Olivia Ong, Faye Wong etc) will a same title album from HongKong, Taiwan or Japan press be the same in term of sound quality? If not usually which will be preferred source?

Many Thanks.

where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ Dsc00012
where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ Dsc00011
where to find? Quality CD shop around KL & PJ Dsc00013

To borrow on your thread since you are asking about the subject on cd quality that was pressed in different county ~ On a boring evening, me and 2 of my friend decided to run a little test using CDs that bears the same title but pressed in different country. The session was based using the Bodyguard soundtrack (one UK, one Japan and one Germany pressing) running through a rather neutral sounding 'low-fi' and we found that the UK ones was laid back & easy on the ear (suitable for long listening session), the Japan ones was with a crispy clear recording, might be slightly bright but at the same time, immediately capture your attention. The one pressed in German was however, a compromise between the two (no indication of brightness, not too laid back but also doesn't immediate capture your attention). Ultimately, we concluded that same CD title but pressed in different country will bears different sonic signature but there is no clear winner between the 3. The question on which pressing is of the best quality is rather subjective and it depends solely based on our listening preferences. My 2 cents Cool

Last edited by kychoo99 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cremona Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi ambg,

Yes, if they say sourced from Japan, i would think its pressed in japan n its more for the domestic market hence(mostly) comes with additional Japanese language sleeve. So far if given the option, depending on the title/singer i would buy US pressing, followed by European pressing, then Japan pressing (usually priced slightly higher). Have not tried what they term "sourced from Asia" but i would think that Hong Kong or Taiwan shouldn't be too bad compared to local (M'sian). Have tried local pressed cds before as compared to US copies n the difference is very noticeable to my ears on my system. Very "shrilly"n what is term "Loudness War", the local pressing. My guess, Faye wong, go for HK press if Japan is unavailable. Hope this helps. Happy listening Very Happy

Cremona

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:09 pm

kychoo99 wrote:
Ultimately, we concluded that same CD title but pressed in different country will bears different sonic signature but there is no clear winner between the 3. The question on which pressing is of the best quality is rather subjective and it depends solely based on our listening preferences. My 2 cents Cool

Wow, you're now the only other person having different pressings of this album other than me. Anyway, I prefer pressings from EU if they're EU artists, US press for US artists and so on. I always find Japanese pressing SQ of whatever artists sonically different in varying degrees. I seem to be confident that the media material used by the Japanese are far superior. Western pressings have varied widely over the decades and along with different mastering, 1st press, 2nd and subsequent pressings all have their own character, perhaps limited to the technology and production cost the label have applied at that point of time. There's just as many people who lay claim that say a Telarc or Proprius album pressed today sound so different from those from say 1-2 decades ago, whichever they say which is better sounding, thats their own judgement. I have some new remaster issues from Japan (Eagles and Paul Simon for example) that were released not too long ago in mini LP replica package and I sensed it was much louder and perhaps more compression applied for a more dynamic sound, similarly to XRCD's and those sorts. Another questionable and different SQ are various releases of Dave Brubeck's Time Out CD. I felt the best sounding is the CBS Mastersound gold long box, which is now out of print and very expensive to acquire. Lets not lump all those audiophile remasters into the discussion of normal market album releases. Audiophile remasters are another league entirely as they were all carefully remastered and appeal to the audiophile ear, not to mention the huge difference in the price.

I reckon it all boils down to own research and judgement which sounds best in one's system and which one to acquire for keeps. Put them all into some mini compo and I don't think anyone can tell much difference.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:42 pm

cmboy wrote:

Wow, you're now the only other person having different pressings of this album other than me.

Laughing No, actually only the Japan pressing is mine. The other 2, belongs to my other 2 friends respectively.

cmboy wrote: I reckon it all boils down to own research and judgement which sounds best in one's system and which one to acquire for keeps. Put them all into some mini compo and I don't think anyone can tell much difference.

Agreed cheers
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:18 pm

There's still so many brand new pressings of highly rated or desirable normal albums (which most people may already have in their collection)for sale from labels like Sheffield, Telarc, Proprius, various known test cd's.. I really wonder if they can be different from the earliest pressings. Lucklily for me I bought most of these long long ago. Some friends tell me these latest and brand new pressings are sonically different to their ears. I really won't know lah, as I've not had much opportunity nor time to do any extensive comparison. From my close inspection of many of these albums, early and late, its quite apparent they are manufactured and pressed by different label appointed pressing plants over the decades, so its anyone's guess how it all sounds. Seen some discs a bit thinner, different material perhaps, we can all guess from which master tapes and whether it was all properly done to the highest standard possible. There was some talk the EMI discs pressed in Swindon(now defunct) is better than those pressed somewhere in Holland)...so some people say. I don't know nor any experience, afterall, the music that matters, not so much of any audiophile issues. Another passing comment I was told once, is that China labels will keep on pressing the albums indefinitely if its noted that demand and sales is still bright. So if say an LP master is known for best 5k-10k copies, they could likely press 50k copies and buat bodoh!..can sell what!..and people are still buying and enjoying every minute of it. So Teresa Teng audiophile LP's and CD's could have 100 thousand or more in circulation, who knows?

Ok..this is unsubstantiated news to me and can jerk my confidence and make me extra careful buying any highly hyped up albums especially out of the Middle Kingdom.

Nowadays, if I want to buy some album thats worth owning (although I'm very very selective now), I'll go ebay, wait for a used or NOS early pressing, judge for myself on what the seller says about its existing condition, finally the total landed price, only then decide to acquire or not. Alternatively, as for audiophile remastered albums, ssssshhh!..I download the flac or whatever, burn it on CD, audition for myself whether its worth owning, then look for a used original but desirably best condition copy for keeps. I've been lucky a few times, buying some nice old pressings for US$1.29 to 4.99, maybe slightly more. (of course the shipping cost is some US$6 on the average, not more). Better still if the seller have a couple more albums and can save more on shipping, but so far thats rarely the case with my purchases.

If I look back of cd's I still desire to own, I can probably list down 2-3 foolscap pages, but the downside is looking at the prices asking at Ebay will piss just about anyone off. I probably have to pawn my Rolex watch to own them or just enjoy the LP version if I should have it. Not to say wasting money but I sometimes like to keep both the LP and CD album, the CD for convenience playback in my minicompo or kitchen. I'm not sure but I think its not wrong to keep a downloaded copy burnt to CD if I have the original LP, the CD being a digitized backup. I'm thinking I'm not infringing copyright issues as I consider the CD digital copy as a LP transfer/backup.

Lastly, since last year, I think numerous import albums seen at some shops mentioned here (not including used market) have increased prices by at least 20% for no logical reason, averaging somewhere Rm55 for some imported album. Of course these shops have what I call "bargain bins" where stacks of "possibly not very laku albums and excess stock" are sold at serious discounts, like a double CD boxset for Rm33? or some 5 album release in a flimsy cheap cardboard slipcase for Rm50 (Rm10/disc??).
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:44 pm

Hmmmm... a thread on CDs, the dinosaurs.... Laughing

Keep up the open sharing of opinions and experiences guys. I am very happy when threads like this turns up because it is my vision of what a PROPER forum discussion should be. Courteous, respectful, and open sharing of lots of priceless information and experiences.

Love music is also another place to consider for CDs (there's one in Ampang Park).

I find that sometimes for newer CDs, they can be re-masters, especially when the packaging/sleeves are slightly different so sometimes this can be what causes the SQ difference. A lot of 'audiophile' CDs of asian artists (e.g. Cai Qin) are actually pressed in Japan.

What I am most curious about are those ridiculously priced XRCD, ShmCD, LPCD, and so forth. Are they really worth so much ? Anyone have tried (even if it is on our kind of down to earth 'lo-fi' systems) and can share their experience ? I find that some HongKong titles are at least available in these kind of supposedly 'audiophile' grade CDs. The thing is music is indeed most important but once we can get the kind of music we want, as audiophiles we tend to want the best possible sound quality out of them.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 am

Mr Wong, mr wong.... how can you say cds are dinosaurs? if thats the case, vinyl or wax format are from the neandethal era lor!..ok, just cheong hei...don't take me seriously. Smile besides I've hardly any love for that love place..LOL!

Of out of those mentioned, I quite respect the Hugo LPCD remasters above from this side of the hemisphere. In the year 2000 onwards till a few years later, there was those dcS and Denon Mastersonic remasters by Polydor Universal Music label, really impressive discs for the value as a substitute for vanished LP's or re-issues. But then again, spin the LP originals (on a mid to high end TT and rig) and its a very different presentation making one wonder if those remasters were really worth the dough invested. Ok, lets not make it more complex into this topic. As for JVC XRCD, I hate the sound which I found to my disappointment most are so much louder and fatter, but the FIM XRCD's is entirely another kind of animal, a no-brainer to own if the music appeals to you. For album remasters of Western music from 3-4 decades ago, I'll put my money on Mobile Fidelity gold discs (now out of print, rare except for new and current SACD or gold disc issues from that label) anytime. Their remastered SQ appeals to me most, just that its so expensive to acquire, to the point of lunacy. Trouble is, I don't agree with the retail price here, entirely REDICULOUS! which I've decided to stamp my brakes buying any here.

Before I forget, I actually wanted to say that CMY Sungei Wang have quite a fair bit of cd albums, perhaps mostly "audiophile rated", and I've always seen quite a lot I'd like to own only if I've the dough to splash without much thought.

Ok, back to listening to some LP's from the 70's on my meticulously rebuilt and calibrated TT rig.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:13 am

But we haven't talked about cassettes or 8-track catridge yet ! Laughing

Interesting opinions on the special audiophile CDs. I have been especially curious about those LPCDs and had wanted to try some but their prices (at Rock Corner) scared me away everytime. Maybe one of these days I will buy one to see.

One interesting conflict see brewing up is that with the popularity of using a computer to feed a DAC nowadays, people are starting to transfer their CDs (by ripping) into the computer. If this is the case, is it wise to splurge so much for say, a SHmCD which supposedly have the same contents as the regular CD but it is the SHmCD material which is the difference ? Because likely we pay around RM100 for one, then rip it once, and never use it again. On the other hand, will ripped SHmCDs sound better than ripped normal CDs ?

I thought you said you're going to pawn your rolex to fund your fetish for round shinny things ? Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 am

SHM CD is one media I've yet to experience, maybe because I'm reluctant to venture into so called "very new or re-issue remasters". Are those worth the dosh? In my mind, no desire to invest in those yet, but if there happen to be a mint LP of the same album, the LP would be a preferred choice for keeps.

There happen to be 2 versions of LPCD, the more expensive one is a CDR, whereas the cheaper one is aluminium. Unfortunately my CDT cannot play CDR's, and thats one reason I won't buy the CDR version. Having said that, I think Hugo releases certain albums on CDR and other selected ones (perhaps less popular) on aluminum pressed discs.

I happen to have 2 of those aluminum LPCD (Priscilla Chan albums) and sound better than any of the previous or current normal retail issues.

Should there be any interest in some TVB oldies (the likes of Adam Cheng, Liza Wang), there happens to be some very new re-issues by Crown Records but judging from a recent 2CD compilation of the same artists, it appears to me they sound entirely different to the early Japan or HK 1st or 2nd issues. The new remasters have a projection of somewhat hi-fi-ish and apparent enhancement in the tone. Perhaps its a love or hate it attitude here. Bear in mind these were remastered from analog tapes that are somewhere 3 decades old. For me, its quite acceptable and don't have to buy some of the early albums just for some nice tracks there. As mentioned earlier, some of these Crown records albums are asking for rediculous prices on Evilbay. Sorry if I emphasized a little slant on Chinese albums here, while my mind is on it.

Eventhough it may all appear that older disc pressings are limited to the technology in its heyday, but I feel the recording is mostly fresher than something digitized to disc 30 years later.

BTW, I really do have lots of cassettes and a 8-track player in my display case. Its of extremely sentimental value and never to be thrown away.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:13 am

ambg...

There are quite a handfull of CD shops around KL...just a matter of the location they are in...my regular haunt....were Rock Corner...Bangsar, Love Music....at Ampang Park. Sadly....it has been months...Crying or Very sad or the famous Flea Market for used stuff.

But of late the price is a bit too much to stomach either at the flea market nor at the various shops.

So the WEB its playing its role in the interim until such time...its jutifiable to get it locally. The two most popular are eBay or Amazon but there are other's as well.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 am

I think pressing is important but more than that, I always look at who mastered the album. If its names like Doug Sax (left Masterdisk, now at The Mastering Lab, also founded Sheffield Labs), Bernie Grundman (Bernie Grundman Mastering) or Bob Ludwig (Gateway Mastering), they tend to be good quality sounding.

Examples:
Doug Sax: our very own JZ8, Solianos Pusaka and Love Tapestry from PopPop Music, Shelby Lynn-Just a Lil' Lovin and most Diana Krall albums (both Shelby and Diana's albums recorded by Al Schmitt and mastered by Doug)

Bernie Grundman: Pink Martini albums

Bob Ludwig: typically more rock and pop albums (Wilco, Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, U2 etc), but the Dire Straits Remasters series, especially their 1978 debut, self-named album sounds pretty good to me.

Essentially, the person and thus their studio, mics, equipment, techniques influence the sound a great deal. And in the final chain during mastering, this is how the final voicing will be.

The above is not exhaustive and there are many more producing good work but generally CD's mastered by the above you can buy quite reliably in terms of sound quality.

f8.
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 am

Dear people,

The thread starter is looking for shops with quality CDs. Price wasn't stated as the overriding factor. It would be good if you could provide him/her the places you recommend or would most likely go to, just as what Cremona & kychoo99 did.

If you wish to discuss the quality of CD/LP pressings and the companies producing them, let's start another thread, as this is going off-topic. We'll merge the prior posts to the new thread.
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:47 am

Actually my opinion is we cannot really separate the three issues : price, availability and sound quality. Because the OP asked for "quality press/produce(d)" and imported CDs. Of course this is just sharing my opinion.

A special Cai Qin audiophile CD from Taiwan and pressed in Japan can be tagged at around RM80-100 and it will be a natural instinct to start asking why and whether it is worth paying through our nose for one, and if so, then where is it available.

From my shopping around (office beside 1-U so on the rare occasions I am back in the office, I tend to eat at 1-U and do a little bit of window shopping), I notice there are a few different labels for audiophile grade which to me are defined as 'quality pressed and produced' imported CDs:

1. XRCD
2. LPCD
3. SHmCD
4. Blue-Dot (I think that's the name, its a JVC label, supposedly the CD material is blue in colour)
5. K2HD CD
6. HDCD
7. CDs with SBM (Super Bit Mapping)
8. Gold CDs

All these carries a hefty price premium and they are all available at Rock Corner 1U (the link-bridge between old and new wing) and at shocking prices ranging from RM70 to RM120. Catalog is not consistent but at least we get the popular artists and don't have to limit ourselves to fringe artistes. There is also a Rock Corner at KLCC, 2nd floor just besides the Starbucks outlet. Note that the special labels are kept at a special section separate from the normal section (whether english or chinese). In the 1-U shop, they label that section Audiophile or something (cannot remember the exact label). I can't remember if they do this as well in the KLCC shop.

I know these choices used to be also available at (I think its) Love Music at Atria but as we know, Atria is now closed for major rennovations so the only other shop I know is at Ampang Park.

I have not visited a Victoria Station shop for a number of years so don't know the availability. But as noted, hifi shops are also good choices for special labels.

For the normal labels, like many others I tend to stick to CDs which are made in the country where the artists are from, and where the recording is done. This is just a habit from buying LPs. I think these kind of CDs are available generally from any music shops. Actually Movie Magic in KLCC for e.g. has quite a big and interesting collection of these. Lately many big labels have started to issue compilations of old evergreen songs and those are very nice indeed.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Was Love Music ever at Atria? Atria complex in Damansara Jaya I presume? I vividly recall its Victoria Music who have a branch there for at least 2 decades as far as I remember well and visited that place once a blue moon. Ok, I've not been there in a longtime to notice Atria is under renovation, I don't know what's happening there.

Alright, amongst my long winded ramblings about labels and CD quality, I HAVE mentioned or hinted places to buy. Of course me being passionate about cd's, I just couldn't resist speaking out about quality, price and the labels. As in any forum, there's free speech, whether slanting to something else or not, its up to readers to ignore it all if wanted to. Thank you.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 pm

I think you are right and I remembered the name wrongly. It should be victoria music at Atria which is of course now closed for renovations.

Movie Magic in 1U has reopened after renovations (not much was renovated actually) and I checked their CDs just now. A number of them are manufactured in this region so if it is US, Europe, or Japan made CDs one is looking for, should check the packaging carefully when buying there.

Having said that, I like their collection of oldies and have bought a few from them. I also like their collection of Hong Kong concerts on DVDs, especially the Joseph Khoo and Wong Jing concerts during the turn of this century. Including the 3 DVDs of these two guys, I bought almost a dozen concert DVDs from M-M and all are very worthwhile musically.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 pm

WongKN wrote:

Love music is also another place to consider for CDs (there's one in Ampang Park).

Ya, I remember Love Music & I went to their shop in Ampang Park a number of times. It is a good place to slowly shop through the many CD titles that they have, since they are usually not many customers in that shop (at least that was the case during my last 2 - 3 times of visitation) and the lady will gladly accommodate your request to audition the CD of your choice. Having said that, i am feeling rather upset about the way, this shop is handling their prices in the recent KLAV. (Love music was the CD stall at level 4 for at least the past 2 KLAV show.) I saw some of XRCD was selling at RM160++ and they put a signage of discount besides the CD (forgotten whether it was 10 % or 15 %). At Victoria & Rock Corner, the average is at around RM140 (after the recent price increase, before this, it was at RM130). To me, it is better if you told me straight off that the rental during the KLAV is expensive and you cannot afford to give a discount. Resorting to such manner of selling where you jerked up the price & put a discount tag besides the product is pretty distasteful.

Of course, i might have been wrong and the pricing of the CD at the recent KLAV show was in fact very cheap and the only problem lies with my spectacles ...
clown clown clown
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:20 pm

kychoo99 wrote:put a discount tag besides the product is pretty distasteful.

You're spot on! nevertheless people didn't bother, people there still thought they got great deals..

I came back empty handed.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Are they the same title ? I ask because Love Music do import special titles on their own. For e.g. the original Cai Qin Hong Kong concert Blu-Ray, I looked at Movie Magic, Rock Corner, every major shop I can find and -only- Love Music in Ampang Park has the Blu-Ray for sale. And it was a staggering RM210+ !! I asked them and they explained that because the manufacturer did not bother to bring it in, they did it themselves and they incur the penalty. They never pushed me, just explain nicely to me and left it to me to decide to buy or not (I didn't. Could not bring myself to pay so much for a Blu-Ray).

So the main thing is to not only see them as XRCDs per-se, but rather the actual titles. If the same XRCD album/title is selling at a lower price at Victoria Station or Rock Corner, then Love Music -is- profiteering. But if not, then perhaps it's simply because the owner is being resourceful in locating in-demand XRCDs.

Many years ago I bought a collection of remastered old english songs from them. Fantastic collection. Fantastic sound. No one else sold the same collection. No one else has sold it ever. It was a one time import by Love Music and this collection remains my prized one for evergreen english songs.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:56 pm

WongKN, if you wanna get good price for original Region A bluray, you can look into some sellers in Lawyat forum. Most of the prices are less than RM100k. Alternatively buy from Amazon. You can save now and wait for the "Black Friday" coming year end. It is a real bargain.

BTW, I always source my CDs from Amazon, US. In Kch, we arent so lucky to have many music shops, only crap speedy to choose from. I have been to ROCK corner at Mega Mall to buy few albums as well. I find their K2HD recording albums way too expensive, averaging RM130. I can get for RM100 online inclusive shipping.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:03 am

I've actually bought a handful of rare or hard to find ones during my very few visits there. Just lucky that these aren't worth to others but desirable to me. To me the era of really good and lots of much reputed, highly hyped up and most popular collectible audiophile albums is gone. I've observed the sliding trend show after show, till like I said, I come back empty handed. I can only look to Ebay, awe at some of the asking prices, then hope some good deal comes along someday soon.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah I have looked at the online option and I do agree that often online gives us much better deals nowadays. I buy the bulk of my LPs from the internet for e.g.

This I feel reflects the uncompetitive nature of our local music dealers. Love Music blames the import duty for the high price (if I remember correctly the explanation given for why the Cai Qin blu-ray costs over RM200 which a typical Blu-ray from HongKong does not top RM120 or 130). But that is the way they decided to price it. I suspect, but this is just a suspicion only, that probably a regular will get a hefty discount, perhaps bringing the price down to around regular Blu-Ray price. But as an unknown face walking into the shop... Anyway, just a suspicion.

When I bought an SACD from Rock Corner at 1U recently, I made some noise about the price and the guy gave me slightly over 10% discount. Perhaps he is just glad someone is willing to buy one of them 'audiophile' discs that have been collecting dust for months on the shelves.

With regards to the show, I did hear numerous people coment on the Love music prices even at the tables, asking for discount. But L-M was firm on not giving way. As a direct means of comparison, the listed price they had for their LPs are all slightly higher, by RM10-20 compared to the same LPs at HiWay Laser in Level-7. Love Music was firm in the list price there as well when I asked so I also ended up not buying anything from them. Of course HiWay gave me a small discount so I bought a few LPs from them.

So I am not surprised to hear people walk out from the show without anything to show. I myself only had a handful of LPs from this year's show, a miserable showing compared to last year where I have close to 20 LPs. So from this aspect, this year's KLAVS was a big dissapointment in terms of bargains.

I also notice prices of CDs, especially the special CDs and LPs as well, steadily going up and up in KLAVS year on year.

My question about the XRCD is only to try to ensure that we are fair to L-M (as well as all other parties) in our criticism of their prices.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ambg Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Dear Admin,

Many thanks for your kind advice. No doubt the thread been started in
searching/looking for shops with quality CDs but, based on my noob/amateur
question posted, the expert here do see much further in possible more doubts might arise within my shallow/silo question being voiced due to their own experience.

Based on the ongoing exchange of ideas/experience by each kind soul a much clearer possible path/guidance for me (rather than I have to search in dark with my limited knowledge thus time and money being exhaust thru unnecessary means).

Info on quality of CD/LP pressings and the companies producing them are much welcome as well(at least to me).

Hopefully more will be pouring in, info and experience to be shared are much
appreciated.

And indeed, I'm one of those "Dinosaurs" coz upon my trustworthy
Technics SLPG-590 (with me since 1998)had failed on me, i got myself yet another CDP (with capability to play/stream digital copy from computer via usb) but it seems to be didn't sound as good (even my very own home/finance minister who sanction the budget could tell) if compare to the CD playback thus re-ignite my desire in search of source the music in the CD form.

Additional note, recently got myself both malaysia, hongkong CD cum DVD version & digital copy (from Internet) of Cai Qin Concert Hall Series (蔡琴 金色演奏厅). The best amongst the pack seems to be is the Hong Kong release (Japan pressed).
ambg
ambg
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:32 pm

WongKN wrote:
I also notice prices of CDs, especially the special CDs and LPs as well, steadily going up and up in KLAVS year on year.
.........try to ensure that we are fair to L-M (as well as all other parties) in our criticism of their prices.
Already embedded in my mind the era of fair priced, great deals, great choice of cd albums is way over for some years now. From regular and personal observation in numerous local shops or branches, prices have shot up and the choice is narrower. If I try to look at my current collection, I'm cocksure I can't find most of them anywhere locally anymore and probably take me a few decades to acquire them from around the globe. I'm also have fears of buying so called "newly remastered" albums where I don't know what to expect and seem to fear the worst. Would I buy a newly remastered or current normal pressing of say Proprius Jazz at the Pawnshop for say Rm80+?? NAhhhhhhhh, 1 in 99 it'll not happen. Sorry, but thats all embedded in my mind now. Of course there's always some exceptions here n there.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi CMBoy,

You can't really blame the current local retails now, it is not like 15 years ago, where CD were Mass prod in Malaysia, and some were mass ordered from oversea.

Today?, even the best shop wont dare to take in 50pcs of CD of the same album; so they are often gated by the high cost of 1 to 10pcs order. Furthermore wanna pay the rents shop.. can't argue with the jack up cost.

Dont worry about buying the current CDs, as long as it is not printed in Malaysia, it should be of good quality~ sorry for having such prejudice. Since CDs printing is on the dying trend now; I doubt that Malaysia producer has ever upgraded their 20 years old manufacturing equipment.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Adrian,

Hey, I have bought numerous Malaysia albums, fortunately they're mostly local Malay artist albums, have I any choice, none actually, but nevermind, its all very very entertaining..the music matters, unless its so badly recorded in the first place. Certainly I can't complain about our beloved T.S P.Ramlee's music tracks.

Yes, its a very sorry local situation and I'm seeing a bleak future when it comes to prices on the rise along with narrower selection which some shops are trying to keep up as long as they insist on being in this music retail business. Perhaps we'd all be buggered by the next generation when cd's are no more and AV media takes centerstage above anything else. Look at classical albums, either its like a very limited speciality corner within some well stocked shop or little or none to be seen in others.
Say if I'd like to look for the French Baroque composer Jean Baptiste Lully albums, I don't think I've seen this anywhere locally.
Bleak man!..very bleak! unless one is prepared to spend (by coughing out worse than TB patient). No spend, no progress, period!

Just one of my views, no malice intended.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Ah, I believe I can see underpinnings of a possible misunderstanding of the motive behind my original questions about the over-priced XRCDs. It is good to clarify here.

I think/hope most of you will by now know me well enough, that my style here on the rare occassions when I do moderate, is only to ensure that there is open and honest sharing of opinions and that EVERYONE is entitled to speak his or her opinions, his or her mind on a subject matter. My main and probably only firm stance is that NO-ONE shall SUPPRESS another's opinion, no-one including me, has the right to tell someone to shut-up just because that person shares a different opinion.

BUT, it does not mean that we cannot rebuke and call out, even using very strong words if necessary, what we feel may be misinformation or otherwise. But everyone should feel free and unpressured when you want to put down your personal opinions. Just don't belittle other people indirectly when you do that (e.g. call anyone who don't agree with your high regards for something, as having no taste). Exceptions being if there is a clear exchange of strong views between two parties, then I guess strong words are allowed BUT the rule is there must be no name-calling.

My intention of bringing up the question of whether the XRCDs being compared are the same albums / titles is purely an attempt to set a clear and fair comparison. What I want to establish is that, if for e.g. Love Music or any music dealer happens to come across this thread and read our comments on their pricing at the show, that they accept that we have legitimate comments and fair opinions. Doesn't mean they have to like our opinions or comments but there should not be a situation where it was pointed out to us that our comments are not valid because we did not compare the same albums for e.g. and it turns out that the same XRCD album/title is the same (high) price everywhere in Malaysia and even from overseas.

I.e. I would like that we establish our credibility and reputation so that any unfavourable comments we make are accepted as fair and that we have been prudent when making those comments.

So there is no need to have to postfix every negative comments with 'no malice intended' or 'don't flame me', and so forth. This I think/hope my stance about fair and open sharing will make clear. Just share openly and freely.

Having said this, I think there -are- instances, especially recently, where some forumers are rather forceful in forcing their personal opinions as 'fact' onto other forumers, to the extent that threads have become silent and abandoned by the general population, perhaps for fear of being flamed or blasted as 'newbies' by 'learned parties'. For this, I apologise for how I have handled, or rather DID NOT handle those threads, i.e. to emphasize and enforce the right to freedom of open sharing of opinions.

Therefore from now on, I will have to be a bit more hard-line with my moderation on this kind of situation. I.e. if I feel there are attempts to suppress, or bully forumers especially the newcomers or relative newbies on certain topics, then I shall put my foot down and deliver proper warning and/or take proper action. Even if I become unpopular in the process.

Hmmm.... this post became much longer than I had hoped. Nevermind, I hope my message is crystal clear.

Now, please, more sharing of opinions and information.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:13 am

WongKN...

Let me the first....HAT's Off....solute and totally in sync with your views.cheers Now where is the "rotan"....when you need it....Laughing Laughing Laughing ...brings back memories of my school days....Principal and discipline master walking the corridors with a "rotan" each in their hands...looking for poor souls....Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Now back to what most of us in this forum have in common....Music...

MUSIC...MUSIC and it's related accessories.

My experience wiht locally pressed CD's...are a bit on the pitchy / edgy to my ears and my other half.

As for my purchases from the internet, one word safely delivered and enjoy every moment when the LP's spins. End of the day it's our choice if we get them locally or from the WEB.

Let's not dwell in this too long....

Decision is our's to make...

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Dear ambg,

CD shops I visited in KL: -

1. Reference Audio Collections or RAVE, Darby Park (near Nikko Hotel)

2. Victoria, Amcorp Mall, Atria

3. Love Music, Ampang Park

4. Rock Corners, Gardens, Mid Valley/KLCC/Bangsar Village/1-U

CD Shops in Singapore: -

1. Disc Village - Adelhpi

2. Roxy Disk House - Adelhpi

3. HMV - 1822 Somerset

4. CD shop in Raffles

5. Hugo/Chinese CDs in Bras Basah

ShmCD, XRCD24, Blue Disc, HD cd are all amazingly good sounding CD. Forget the LPCD, XRCD, XRCD2. LPCD is only a hype to coin those CD owners of analogue LP sound in digital form; they are better off venture straight into LP source. I have one LPCD which uses different cartridges with same LP and you hear different SQ on same piece of music; imagine what you are hearing with LPCD... hearing this would turn you off from LPCD. I was disillusioned because of this LPCD. I have about 5 LPCDs.

If you come across old Proprius, buy all of them, they are already become collector items.

Jo Ki
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:34 pm

wingman wrote:My experience wiht locally pressed CD's...are a bit on the pitchy / edgy to my ears and my other half.

I just wonder why and if there's any sinister issue behind this all the while? Is it because Malaysia labels just can't or won't do things properly. Digital 0 0 1 must be made to be 0 0 1.2 ah? Duplicate oso can't duplicate right?
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ambg Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Wingman/Mr. Jo Ki,

Thanks for your kindness of sharing. Surely will keep those valuable input/guidance in mind (especially on ShmCD/XRCD24/Blue Disc & HDCD) while searching.

Note : Mr. Jo Ki, really like the sound from your effort during recent KLAV when i (& my home finance minister) visited.
ambg
ambg
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm

With the locally pressed CDs, it -could- be the materials used for the CD. That is actually the only logical reason, i.e. the material is different so either the pressing introduces more 'iffy' bits on the CD which gives the transport problems in reading properly.

To get technical a bit, if we read whatever is available on the net about the RBCD format, you can see that each sample comes in three parts, the sample for the left and right channel and then some sort of control word. The CD player/transport is supposed to do a computation for each sample (for both channels), using the Reed-Solomon method to compute something like a 'checksum' (to make it familiar to you guys) and compare it to the checksum embedded in the control word. If they don't match, then depending on the degree of error, it is possible to recalculate back the actual correct values using the checksum and the Reed-Solomon algorithm.

But to a certain extent only. The RBCD standard provides for 'graceful degradation' meaning that if the errors from reading the CD is too much, then the correction cannot be performed completely but it is designed such that the sound degrades more with worse and worse errors.

It is this error correction that is supposed to be -one- of the reasons for the degradation in sound from bad condition CDs and also the lack of reading error and thus lesser strain on the CD player as one of the justification for the high price of Gold CDs, XRCDs, etc. There are other factors but this is just one possible factor. This is actually all available on the net if you guys want so night time reading. Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Ever heard of 'mother CD master' and all the sons?
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 pm

cmboy wrote:
I came back empty handed.

Well, me too from the show but feeling frustrated at the pricing & the lack of choice at the CD shop at level 4 (despite their pricing, i did asked for a few cd titles which is definitely not one of those rare ones but they doesn't seems to have in their stock) - after leaving the show, me & my friends walk a few block towards Lot 10 & suddenly, a long forgotten 'shop' suddenly comes to our mind. Slowly we took the lif to level 2 of lot 10 & took another flight of escalator to the next level, walking past some of the shops facing the escalator, we zig zag our way towards the back portion of the building & found - the long forgotten but once famed - Tower Records What a Face. Surprisingly, the selection was good and is with piles of imported CDs and the lady working there were pretty helpful too (letting us to audition the CD we choose, recommending some of the titles she felt that it might be to our taste & running around the shop to hunt for the cd we asked for). My friend left with an imported orchestra piece, another bought the locally press David Foster and I found my Josh Groban - Closer, pressed in USA Very Happy guess i did not return empty handed after all.

Dear Ambg,

I left out this place at my initial recommendation of imported CD shop, i too have almost left out this long forgotten CD shop - Tower Records. Behold, it is another candy shop ....

Cheers.
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:47 am

Question
cmboy wrote:
wingman wrote:My experience wiht locally pressed CD's...are a bit on the pitchy / edgy to my ears and my other half.
I just wonder why and if there's any sinister issue behind this all the while? Is it because Malaysia labels just can't or won't do things properly. Digital 0 0 1 must be made to be 0 0 1.2 ah? Duplicate oso can't duplicate right?

CM...

Any sinister reason...nope but I trust my ( our ) senses and preference. Don't get me wrong here...it could be preference for a different crowd of listeners.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down