Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) speakers

4 posters

Go down

Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) speakers Empty Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) speakers

Post by spade Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi to all forumer,

Actually im looking this speaker brand (bookshelf). Anyone own this speaker, please give ur review about the perfomance and how the sound.

Thanks!

spade
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) speakers Empty Re: Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) speakers

Post by ryder Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:24 pm

B&W house sound is unique. You would have to listen to the speakers yourself to have a better idea how they would sound like. If looking used, I would suggest listening to the CDM series as a minimum, either 1SE or 1NT. Their equivalent in the new line-up is the 705. I have owned the 1SE for 10 years and N805. The 1SE's are incredible speakers in its price range. I find B&W speakers to have a substantial price tag. But if you like the sound, the 805S is worth considering and definitely a keeper.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by spade Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi ryder....

How about the B&W DM series...? It is a big different with cdm model?... and what price range for the used cdm series now. If u dont mind to tell Smile

spade
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi spade,

My flatmate in uni got the DM602 when I got my CDM1SE's, and my observation is based on this experience. There is definitely a perceptible difference between these two speakers and it's a matter of whether the sound improvements are worth the money. To me, the CDM 1SE is a clear step-up from the DM602 in terms of overall refinement. The better the electronics the more revealing the CDM1SE's whereas the DM602's performance is limited. In other words, you will get more if using better amps on the CDM than the DM. The DM series will still give 70-80% the sound of the higher-end models in the B&W line minus the refinement and detail.

I have traded-in my CDM1SE's for about RM1.2k for the Proac Tablette 50 Sigs earlier this year. Basically the market price ranges from RM1.2k-1.5k depending on condition but it is very rare to find one in the used market these days. CDM 1NT would be >RM2.5k. If you can find a used pair of CDM series speakers in good condition, you are getting more for your money in terms of performance compared to the DM series, unless you can get the latter at a more attractive price. At any rate, I would still recommend that you go for the CDM series, that if you can find a pair in mint condition(the 1SE's are more than 10 years old now). If you haven't owned a pair of B&W speakers or even heard a pair before, maybe you can try the DM series since the CDM are hard to come by in the used market.

Good luck.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:03 am

spade wrote:Hi ryder....

How about the B&W DM series...? It is a big different with cdm model?... and what price range for the used cdm series now. If u dont mind to tell Smile

spade,,my self also own CDM1 last time..u cannot compare CDM with DM series because CDM is same level with 700 series..even the CDM model almost or more then 10 years but performance wise its still the best compare to 600 series..price range quite expensive now days CDM1 can cost u 1.8k-2.2k..i agree with ryder its difficult to get used CDM model..price tag 2.2k also people still selling like hot cake because not only the sound quality,,the wood and workmanship also different standard..

Now days new version B&W are not made from UK already...

Ryder,,For 1.2k u should kept the CDM1SE...sayang la I love you
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:12 am

RM1.8k-RM2.2k for a 10+ year old speaker is on high side. Brand new the CDM1SE is only about RM3k-3.5k. I am not sure if folks would pay for them at that kind of price. Price of used items are determined by seller and I usually set them at a price which I think is fair. It's the seller's call really as I have seen prices of N805 here in the ads selling for RM2k higher that what I've paid for 3 years back. Yes, I agree that the build quality of the CDM series are higher since the cabinets are constructed from real wood veneer with sloping baffle at the top of the speaker compared to cheap MDF and square box of the DM series. Anyway the DM are low-end bread and butter for those on a tight budget.

The CDM1SE's have been with me for more than 10 years which is a long time, and since I am the first owner I do part with the speakers with a heavy heart, not because of the money but the fond memories of them providing some good music throughout all these years. Anyway I figured out it's time to let them go. I was informed the new owner was enjoying the speakers a lot.

There are several items I've sold previously below market price as it is a buyer's market nowadays. Items are difficult to move even when they are priced fairly, especially with components on the higher-priced bracket. It is easy to say this component's market price is RMXXX or RMYYY but try posting that in the ads. It probably won't move if the deal is not looking good, unless a big fish is waiting to be caught. :-)

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Can you be a little specific in the models you are looking at?
For the award winner B&W685 i think epos sounds better.
They are good and value for money. In Malaysia, epos retail much cheaper than B&W. It is vice-versa in UK. This mainly due to the importer. If the importer is from Singapore and distribute in Malaysia, expect to pay a higher price! If the importer is from Malaysia then expect a fair pricing. Same applies to Monitor Audio BR2 (UK200) by Ban Leong Singapore retails at RM1.4K whilst the Wharfedale 9.1(UK180) retails at RM8++ by CMS Malaysia.

Evaluation of HiFi must be done by our ears and not based on reviews overseas especially What Hifi, coz the landed cost in Malaysia will be different and it is entirely a different game.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down