Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Why do we need a preamplifier?

+12
bassraptor
fizi
sting
tycham
sflam
ryder
M7
bimmerman
skydna
azri
mugenfoo
wabun
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why do we need a preamplifier? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do we need a preamplifier?

Post by mugenfoo Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Here's the logical answer:

a pre-amp (active pre-amps that need to be plugged into an AC outlet) would definitely be needed as a practical method of operation if you have more than 1 music source, and are using a power amp or a pair of monoblocks in your rig.

Any other reasons would not qualify as a requirement but instead as a "superior option" or "choice" whether u want to use one or not, in which you can just do fine without one. Some cases:
1. if you're just using an Integrated amp (which is actually a pre and power in one single chassis).

2. if you only have one music source that is capable for variable output control (for example, a Wadia Decoding computer and CD player with digital volume control) and just plug it straight into any power amp.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Why do we need a preamplifier? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do we need a preamplifier?

Post by sting Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:41 pm

You see he will manipulate my statement. I said "normally" not a must a high price=good design.

Without answering my question, he gives another "cars" question instead. anyway 'cars" analogy doesn't really connects in this context. I'm comparing on current product of single box and double boxes. So what's the current product from Meridian G08.2?..and compare them with current DacMagic + CDT. What the verdict...double boxes means more ummph? So what next?

As you guys read my responses, I do mentioned that in Amplifier the high end monoblock has the best to offer and no way an integrated can beat them. So I do believe that...

On my last example on China made monoblocks (pls. check the post) with plastic feel knobs, cheap paint job, full of crap capacitors and by the look of it you feel dodgy. If you were to compare with single box Krell KAV400xi, which you think get the nods?...without listen you'll already know and if I were ask you to choose, which would you pick?..China made?...but I know someone will pick it up as he believes that monoblock wins over integrated hands down..because simply of being monoblock....highly recommended 5 stars award, hot stuff!

If you think that the price doesn't fair, don't blame me as I mentioned start from beginning not to a price point, it's purely on design of the product. being monoblock or pwr amp doesn't mean it can't be beaten by good or great integrated.

So back to the original question by Wabun (pls check on the first post), from my observation those question is valid and it's not nice to under estimate people. He maybe naive in this area, but who knows the real him. So what is this forum for, only expect "highly intelligent question". Calling "katak bawah tempurung"..is that right?. May I ask you guys the Admins or Moderators..do you give any condonation to this act?.

Who is katak bawah tempurung now. You pointing one finger, three more fingers pointing back at you.....get a life. Stop of being sarcasm as you never know what ahead of you. What you gives you get back.

From this response let see which part fancy him to pick, manipulate or deviate......I'm outta here for good.

peace everybody!
sting
sting
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): Sony Discman
Amplification: BmB karaoke amplifier
Speakers: Jalan Pasar diy speakers

http://sting-journey.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:49 pm

sting wrote:
Thanks for your input and it does happen. From my posting I'm not saying every integrated can beat pre/pwr..that's silly. That's the reason I mentioned at no price comparison. Things like Krell KAV400xi compare with Naim 112x/150x, almost the same price, almost current technology...but I'm sure Krell gets the medal.

Hmmm.. bro sting, best to clarify that my statement was not aiming at anyone at all. Question
They were merely my own opinion leh... cool man, cool...
Maybe my posting timing was not that right at that moment. hahahahahaha.. Razz
And, I have to say I got your what you were trying to say and point out in da 1st place - the price thingy.
Pass you teh o ais limau... cheers.. cheers
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 pm

mr sting, cheer up. hi fidelity always differs people in many ways.
thats why i dare not to say much in a forum, especially im still new
& my latest investment is in ps3, not pre amp nor tt What a Face

cheers bro..
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Sometime when people ask question we dont judge that he knows nothing..people that always ask question is the people with more knowledge and expirience..

To Mr Wabun i know who u are... Twisted Evil

lets us share idea and expirience through this forum..lets get together..dont point fingers to others as Mr Sting said once u point lots more pointing at u Cool Cool

cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:00 am

sting wrote:You see he will manipulate my statement. I said "normally" not a must a high price=good design.

(whine whine whine )

I don't see how all that whining and griping helps to defend his statements or opinions.... scratch
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2