Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Harman Kardon AVR355 AV amp opinions

+7
zulmlm
djdyks
alex
fizi
moppy
azri
Dannyosky
11 posters

Go down

Harman Kardon AVR355 AV amp opinions Empty Harman Kardon AVR355 AV amp opinions

Post by Dannyosky Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice or user opinion on Harman kardon AVR 355 as i plan to get it this coming wednesday at a very attractive price in penang.

I like the GUI the most compare with others. I audition this AVR pair with only JBL satelite 5.1 and its already got the blowing effect which is more than enough for a 10ft x 7ft living room.

Thanks and best regards
Danny

Dannyosky

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Back to top Go down

Harman Kardon AVR355 AV amp opinions Empty Re: Harman Kardon AVR355 AV amp opinions

Post by Dannyosky Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Wah.... seems like HK is not so popular here ....

Guess i will make the comment myself after i got the units. Smile

Dannyosky

Back to top Go down

Harman Kardon AVR355 AV amp opinions Empty Re: Harman Kardon AVR355 AV amp opinions

Post by azri Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:55 pm

my father was a hk user in pro logic era,
for me its bass are too boomy from what i remembered
maybe its because of using his vintage sansui 3 way circa 80s
woofer was 10in so u know what i mean,
but then with his late au-117 everything sounded nice

i would recommend those into HK to try it 1st with diff setting of speakers before buying one
after having that unit for 5 years, the pre-power went dead
after recoiling the pre power transformer, it went dead again
i guess it cant stand bolehland tropical weather too long
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by moppy Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm using this amp. So far I don't hv others to compare.

moppy
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyosky Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for the input and comment. Wink

Just got my unit last nite. Took ~3 hrs to complete setup both amp and 5.1 channel speaker for basic function only. Not yet read the instruction manual.

I hook up the receiver to my PS3 with HDMI for Video and Audio then output HDMI from receiver to LCD. Too bad PS3 didnt bitstream HD audio yet but coming soon in the software update 3.0 to enable PS3 bitstream function to receiver.

I was shock at the first time when i saw the avr video ouput when i test it with BD. THe BD picture quality drop from Bluray become VCD quality. Fixed with turning off the reciever upscalling. (may be didnt fully explore the receiver upscaling function.)

Azri,

you are right. may be it cant stand bolehland tropical weather too long. The amp on for ~4 hrs and you can feel the heat on top of the amp like "burning" Bet i better move the receiver to open air instead of sitting inside TV cabinet. How about on top of subwofer?

Dannyosky

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00 pm

hi Danny,how much u buy the AVR355? dont worry bout the heat so much all amplifier will heat up after long hours,even worst if amp with troidal transformer..

Enjoy..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyosky Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi FIZI,

you got PM.

BTW, the transformer you mention izzit in 355?

Thanks
Danny

Dannyosky

Back to top Go down

Post by alex Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:20 pm

Putting electronics equipment on top of sub is a big no no. It rattles when in usage and vibration is bad enemy to electronics...

alex
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyosky Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Thanks alex. Got your advice. i plan to put a PC Fan to blow/absorb the heat out from the receiver. While long term plan is to get a new TV cabinet and put on top of it.

Dannyosky

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:44 pm

yup, not a good idea to place them on top of a sub
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by alex Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 pm

The manual should state recommended space for top and side for ventilation purpose. Well, at least that is the minimum you should have.

Just curious, why settled on HK avr? Have you auditioned other brands like Denon, Yammy and Onkyo?

alex
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm

alex wrote:The manual should state recommended space for top and side for ventilation purpose. Well, at least that is the minimum you should have.

Just curious, why settled on HK avr? Have you auditioned other brands like Denon, Yammy and Onkyo?

Alex,,can u discribe in details..y settled on HK not others..? are those statement said that HK AVR is not good compare to others?

sharing is caring...
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by alex Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:37 am

fizi, no hard feelings. I am not judging neither saying that HK avr is no good. I am a movies lovers and have never auditioned a HK avr, to be specific never had the chance. IMO, msia ht is more popular with brands I mentioned earlier. Ohya, not to mention marantz too. I for myself auditioned all 3 above and settled on Denon bcoz I found it has more omph in surround. I believe every brand has its own strength and was wondering why danny chose HK. Maybe he found something interesting with HK that could share with us...

I also found some Sheerwood avr on sale at amcorp mall and wondering too what's its strength?

Perhaps one day I will meet with a lucky owner to share his / her opinion with me...

alex
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by djdyks Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:24 am

I owned Yamaha RXV861, Marantz SR7002, Denon 3805 and Onkyo 575 (a bit old model) before and tested Yamaha RXV663, RXV3900 and several i-can't-remember models
But nvr any of the above has beaten (yet) the AV surround sound qualities of my current AVR355. Except for Marantz SR8003, Meridian and Audionet ... those are outta-my-budget range
By looks i personally feel it beats them all ... look at the lit-up circle ring ...
Oommph !

djdyks
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:44 am

alex--Dont worry no hard feeling,,just wanted to ask litle bit clear on that..

Many AV Shop not selling HK brand maybe dealer got a reason on that..thats y HK not so popular in malaysia..HK brand is 1 of the pioneer in HT amplifier..U can thrust the specification even the amp with low watts..now a lot of big brand name not very specific and cheat us bout their spec sometime so hi watts but interm of performance is very poor..im using onkyo,denon and marantz before but frankly speaking interm of sound quality europe amp still the best..japanese amp is concentrate on new gadgets,latest spec and tweaks here and there to be more publicity looks..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by alex Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:46 am

fizi, so early wake up already.. I miss the morning breeze in cameron, hehe.

Once I visited a hifi shop selling HK avr few years back. I was young then around 19~20 years old so did not ask for demo. The guy boost how good HK is compared to others.

2-3 years later visit the same shop and didn't see any HK around, just Denon. I asked him what is the reason and he claimed HK very bad, this not good that not good and Denon is the best. Guess he just talk crap to boost his business.

Other than this I have not encounter HK so abit curious on its performance.

If I am not mistaken you were using Arcam avr 280?

alex
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am

alex,maybe the price factor or better profit to selling japanese
product. If i not mistaken dealer selling HK will sell JBL and Infinity
product too that very rare to look for this product..in ipoh from
many HT dealer only 1 selling this product..maybe we can get the thruth
from dealer comment bout this..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyosky Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks for everyone for the sharing and opinion. Really appreciated it.
Love in the eyes of the beholder. I fall in love with it when I 1st come across the picture here at “For Sale” thread.
But that’s not the main reason. Actually I already went through ~1.5 months for research and audition as stated below.

• Onkyo 875 + pioneer BD + Canton Speaker set at one of Penang HT kaki condo.
  • Denon 1909 at one of the Penang HIFI shop’s HT room.
  • Pioneer LX model + MK bookshelf speaker set at one of the Penang HIFI shop’s HT room.
  • Yamaha 465 & 565 + JBL speaker set at one of the Penang HIFI shop’s demo room
  • HK 155 + JBL satellite speaker set at one of the Penang HIFI shop’s demo room. ( The expensive shop)
  • Onkyo 57_ dunno wat model + dunno wat model but expensive speaker set at one of Penang HIFI Shop’s demo room.
  • HK 255 / 355 + JBL satellite speaker set / bookshielf set + Samsung BD at one of the Penang HIFI shop’s demo room. ( The shop I bought my 355)
  • HTIB includes pioneer LX61, denon 390, Yamaha 365, sony, panasonic, philib etc at different electrical shop in penang.
  • Internet’s forum, review, thread and advice from very good and supportive fren from Penang. Thanks for all their input and advice.

By considering all the above auditions, experiences and budget. End up the HK 355 and the JBL satellite speakers suite both my budget and ear.

Due to my small living room size, the 355 and the JBL satellite speaker already can perform. The clarity sound penetrates on every corner of my living room (10ft * 7ft). The sub really blended in well (explosions) and the center (Dialog) are so real. Too bad the mid bass sound cannot all out (Gun sound) due to small satellite speaker. Perhaps bookshelf upgrade will help …. But not happening so soon….. J Anyway …. Im very happy already with existing SQ unless I got further poison from my HT fren in Penang. J J

Sorry if i cannot express my little review well as I m just a beginner and still learning to express it technically …..

Dannyosky

Back to top Go down

Post by zulmlm Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:11 am

could you pm me whitch shop do you bought the HK, i fall in love at 1st look...

thank you

zulmlm

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jteoh Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:39 pm

HK avr is definitely under rated in our local context. Probably due to its low watts rating. But then it is a HIGH CURRENT design. Look carefully at the power consumption.

I am using an entry level HK AVR135 with 40 watts x 5 channel / 50 watts x 2 rating. The power consumption for this unit is 500 watts. Other brands might have say 100 watts x 7 channels, but their power consumption is only 400 watts or so.

My front speakers are the Sonus Faber Cremona floor standers. I have no complaints with the performance although you can't compare the Harman to a Krell, i.e.

To each his own.

jteoh

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by royroy Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 am

danny wat the price for ur JBL satellite?? coz i got a old avr yamaha rx-v393 that i just put there no play it from long time....after i get a new tube amp....
feel wan to get a
JBL satellite to hang it at wall coz my room no place to put speaker....or sifoo here any budget satellite recomend to me?

royroy
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CAn007 Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi, sorry to answer to an old post but I'm actually looking for a HK360 (or equi). I'm from KL and it's very difficut to find a shop which sell this brand. HK is not well know here but it's not the case in Europe... I don't know the price here... cause I can't even find it Wink.
So if some of you bought one HK recently I would like to know how much you pay (want to compare with Europe). Thanks in advance.

PS: seems you don't like to talk about price in Malaysia, in this case feel free to send info by PM.

Last edited by CAn007 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

CAn007

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:58 am

hi can007...try go to desa home theater at low yat plaza bukit bintang...
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by peter32 Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am

Last I ever saw HK unit for sale is at Audio Synthesis on the third floor of Amcorp Mall. I almost wanted to get a unit from them, but the shop owner fumbled during our audition. He cannot turn on the unit at that time as he found out he can't do any tinkering without connecting the amp to a screen.

So I left without leaving much impression of its audio quality.

peter32
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyosky Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Its been a long time this topic never active....

royroy,

i got my JBL 5.1 channel satelite speaker at rm1050 if not mistaken. If you from penang, can go to Style Photo (opposite Komtar). Sorry for the late reply... Smile
btw, i also got the yamaha avr 393 and same like you .... its collecting dust since changed amp.

i agree with jteoh tat the HK amp is under rated on its watt per channel and infact my 65w per channel oledi powerfull enough to blown me away although with just a normal satelite speaker. (my entry level thought)

Becarefull when getting an HK amp or speaker as some shop may playing around with the price because of its un popularity in Mal.

Peter, i bought the avr355 mainly on its appearance.... hahaha ....forget about the SQ .. hahha just kidding. Yes, its difficult to navigate this avr355 without a display.

CAn007, how's your avr360 hunting? do keep us update.

Dannyosky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down