Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Is it really better or just different ?

4 posters

Go down

Is it really better or just different ? Empty Is it really better or just different ?

Post by hmmmisthatright Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:32 pm

I have designed, installed, and setup some of the finest in hi-end audio systems, but one of my pet peaves is that I have found that there alot of excessories that will alter the sound (as most everything will) and when people hear differences they automatically think its better but its really not. Its key to really determine if its making an improvement and not just coloring the sound because of colorations in the system or in the recordings.

Line conditioners are one example. I have yet to date found a line conditioner that improves the sound. I always recommend truly dedicated power lines, pulled from the same side of the panel so there in phase, and power cables which I do feel make a tremendous IMPROVEMENT. Just one of many excessories that does not make a true improvement.

Whats your thoughts ?
Kevin

Last edited by hmmmisthatright on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

hmmmisthatright

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-09-11

Back to top Go down

Is it really better or just different ? Empty Re: Is it really better or just different ?

Post by tycham Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:31 pm

@Kevin

First I would have to know whether it is 'accessories' you are talking about before I can give you my take. Is it really better or just different ? Icon_biggrin
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Is it really better or just different ? Empty Re: Is it really better or just different ?

Post by hmmmisthatright Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:21 pm

For everyone readiing this post this topic is about anything you do or put in the system that alters the sound. There is almost anything you can do or put in a system that will alter the sound but clearly is it truly an improvement that is my question.

Remember the green ink pen that you used to paint on around the edges of the cd ? The therory was interesting and seem to have merrit but I found that it made cd's sound dull and lifeless, and masked detail. Many people who may have had bright sounding systems loved it. Well ok great if you like it and find that it sounds good to you who am I to say it sucks. But clearly on systems that were good it clearly did'nt improve the system.

Line conditioners are another one of those products that I have yet to hear one that TRULY improves the sound. NOT to say thier isnt one that does, I certainly have not been able to hear them all, but to this day I have not heard one that does.

Kevin

hmmmisthatright

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Maybe that's how they spell accessories in San Diego? Is it really better or just different ? Icon_biggrin

Anyway, it's a good topic for discussion. You could wrap up your speaker cables in wool and it would change the sound. Substitute wool with silk or even sandpaper and again the sound will change. Coat the prongs of your power plug with Silclear and again major changes. But will any of it be better??? Excellent topic!!!

Well for me as a beginner I always try to keep it simple. I listen to my own setup and then go listen to other setups and then set a target for the kind of sound I want to achieve with the equiptment I own.

I felt my system lacked detail and transparency so I threw in some silver interconnects into the mix and I heard more details. Good start but transparency was still lacking so I tried various speaker cables until I was satisfied with transparency. Then when detail and transparency improved, bass took a back seat so again, I tested some power cords and to my surprise, I got better detail, transparency and bass for the price of 1. Then came the accessories which I used for fine tuning in order to achieve the balance I was looking for. Now that I think I have it nailed I invite some friends over for some opinions.

What did they rate? Hmmm... Nice vocals if a teeny bit nasal but treble is a little unnatural and overall a little too forward sounding for my tastes commented one. Ok noted. Now the other friend commented, "are you shure you don't have a subwoofer hiding somewhere? your Minima Amators sound like floorstanders! I like it but the treble is a little unnatural". Ok. let's take a break guys while I tweak a little. So I swapped a platinum item for a gold and put the music on again and they were now happy with the treble. The other guy still thinks it's a little forward but my other friend and I are quite pleased with the sound. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

So was it really better or different? Well, what kind of sound do you want to achieve? What do you want to hear? what do your ears and friend's ears tell you?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:56 pm

whatever makes u happy dude..... ;P

(generally speaking; Not intended to any particular person).
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 am

Oh, One more thing, I have no experience with expensive line conditioners. Mine is a 6 output US NEMA power distributor which replaced my RM20 4 socket extention cord for the british 3 pin. This one made a real big difference. It made me realise how fuzzy my sound was prior.

Then I added a parallel filter which plugs into one of the unused sockets nearest to the one I plugged my CD player and this brought about better treble detail and cleared up some fuzzyness in the midrange. Did nothing for bass though.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 am

mugenfoo wrote:whatever makes u happy dude..... ;P

(generally speaking; Not intended to any particular person).

Hmmm... My sentiments exactly. Basically this statement pretty much sums up everything. If you like the change you hear then whatever makes you happy dude!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum