Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Naim Snaps Xtreme (Mod)

Go down

Naim Snaps Xtreme (Mod) Empty Naim Snaps Xtreme (Mod)

Post by Naim-ThoR Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:17 pm

INTRODUCTION: Why DIY,Why MOD?
yes,it is needed to unleash the full-potential of a restricted performances.It is like you adding a perfomance kit into a V6 proton perdana,or optimising already very powerful F430 to make them run lot faster and effordless.Unlike for electronics,the boost in performance may not have an impact on elecricity bill. Idea

The overall sound quality of all source greatly depend on clock quality, power supply and output stages. Lower clock jitter ,power supplies ,Tubed output stage buffer etc are the key elemet to be addressed first much more worthy then a single upgrade to mega ringgit powercord,speakers etc

For many highend users include cyrus/naim etc.You know you are driving a supercar with an unoptimised poor fuel-mixture combustion setting.A simple tweak to it can make it to delivers a permanent result- Quicker,enjoyable,more fun...

so i took the 1st approach to build a "hosptital"grade power supplies to complement to the Naim`s Pre to its fullest.

Future will a do a full mod on a well developed Naim CD player.I believe a beastie mod on any already well made product can stretch it further compare to a standard one from the shelve given the same method of mod.will update at this column.

This is an original version entry level of Naim`s SNAPS [external powersupply].
Naim Snaps Xtreme (Mod) Internals-1

I believe if implemented properly,it surpass the very expensive SuperCap.Not to mention Hicap anymore.

What i did to my Snaps,these are the key items.
Main surgery,only left with the Holden Fisher main transformer.
- Reroute the connection to support BiAmping and Active Crossover[Snaxo/Naxo] & a to supply a clean power to Naim CD player.
-New DIN sockets fitted x 4.
-Improve on Star earth grounding & thicker gauge solid core.
-7N purity wires,like acrolink,i prefer UPOOC wires.
-High au/silver content solder on critical points
-SINE ICE male inlet.Gold 2x plated with Cyroed.
-Gold plated Fuse 2A[Supreme silver HFT the best]
-Mundorf Reservoir. 10,000uF.
-Low noise,fast rectifier[Japan]
-Supremely low noise regulators& very high output current,depending on your main transformer VA.
- 24v x 4 output.
- All 8 power transistors[Wet compounded] directly mounted and tighten to chasis for better heat transfer.
-X rated Cap to block unwanted radio Mhz interference.

Expected Benifits after the mod:
Higher resolution,Better focus,Better transparency,Clearer bassline. Much more PRAT to it. 3D sound,bigger n deeper sound stage.
Naim Snaps Xtreme (Mod) Upcooc10

Naim Snaps Xtreme (Mod) Snaps10

Before: i hear muffled Norah jone`s singing
After: I hear lots of nasal and lips movement.Bass tighter,Stronger. Quieter/Darker music background.Bigger sound stage,the sound have improve drastically on every aspect beyond the mortal man imagination.Julian vicker could be stunned if he is around to hear this himself.I believe he has done his best already in his period of time.

suggestion: I could have add another NASA grade noise-killer module to further suppress the noise floor beyond -35db after filtering stage & to the output stage,but very costly ,will consider this for my subsequent project.

much cheaper method: Use 2 x12V car battery,stack them up to form a single 24Vdc.Charge every 2 week depend on the usage.
Naim-ThoR
Naim-ThoR
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Character sheet
Source(s): 1541 古军碟机
Amplification: solid state 经典佳机
Speakers: italia

http://www.hifi4sale.net/t32755-no-money-no-tweak-no-talk

Back to top Go down