Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

LS 3/5A or LS50

+12
azirulfahmie
musicmusic
VS126
Wikin
cyh
bal
Mikapoh
samazzah
fizi
cmboy
alfred
mingleeloh
16 posters

Go down

LS 3/5A or LS50 Empty LS 3/5A or LS50

Post by mingleeloh Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Did anyone try the kef LS50 and LS 3/5A ? any suggestion which should i buy ?

mingleeloh
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

LS 3/5A or LS50 Empty Re: LS 3/5A or LS50

Post by alfred Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Mingleeloh, what kind of amp do u have and what is the power like? both of speakers r very good but one needs is different.
alfred
alfred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Character sheet
Source(s): pioneer pd s901 as transport \ denon dcd s10 d/a
Amplification: krell pre / threshold
Speakers: LS 5/12A, Spendor 2/3

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Kef is cheaper than some dated LS3/5a and moreover..something quite new!
Both have its strengths and character. LS3/5a need the complimentary AB1 subwoofer for a fuller sound. The latter is designed as stand alone loudspeaker.
Its not easy to find a full LS3/5a rig and may cost more then the new Kef.
You'd have to use your ears and audition with your favourite music to judge which suit you.
For me, I'd prefer the new Kef for more flexibility and better all rounder.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:58 pm

alfred wrote:Hi Mingleeloh, what kind of amp do u have and what is the power like? both of speakers r very good but one needs is different.
Agreed with Alfred...better share ur current amplication...

There is something about Ls35a, the "WOW" factor is always there..the only challenge is how to pull out the "WOW" from the speaker...if $$$$$ not an issue then is ok  Wink
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by mingleeloh Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 pm

i am using an old amp, Musical Fidelity A1, class A 20W. i am thinking ,new ls50 is cost about 4k, but used ls3/5a is more expensive. is it true now day technology can't beat old time one ?

mingleeloh
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by samazzah Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:59 am

Mr Loh, today's technology can beat old tech like the LS 3/5A any day if you choose the right one. The LS 3/5A is a dire sounding speaker actually, it only is good in the midrange and even that is questionable. Above and below the midrange, the bass is loose and the highest treble is intentionally reduced to minimize the harshness. It has, what is known as a 'tailored' frequency response. It was built according to BBC specs way back in the 1960's when speakers had limited travel and low mass tweeters did not exist. The thin wall construction was meant to reduce resonances as far as possible until today's advent of high rigidity MDF (but damped).
Unfortunately to all those fans of such speakers (LS 3/5A), I am not one of them.
They do have very limited dynamic range and so you cannot play them loud. The only exception is that you may like that tailored sound if your music tastes are limited to vocal recordings and simple arrangements - no complex music.
samazzah
samazzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Character sheet
Source(s): CA Azur 851 Streamer/Michell Gyro/OL Conqueror/ VDH Frog
Amplification: Nuprime STA-9
Speakers: B&W 706 /AVI DM 10

Back to top Go down

Post by mingleeloh Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am

thank for your opinion Samazzah. i think i know what should i choose.

mingleeloh
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Neither. Choose P3ESR and be done for quite a while.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:24 pm

All these tiny little things cost more than 4k a pair. Quite honestly after listening to Ls3/5a many times in my life, I have come to the conclusion that unless you only listen to stuff that you CANNOT boogie down to, and unless you listen in a shoe boxed size room, you are better off getting something else for that amount of moolah.

The Kef would be a better choice in every possible way, and you can actually get up and shake your butt if the music so moves you. Something I have not seen Ls3/5a listeners ever do. They all just sit there uptight, looking terribly constipated, looking as if a tiger would jump out of the tiny tiny speakers at any time and do them in. Fat chance of that happening, but mighty big chance of them dying of boredom instead.

Those who beg to differ please write in and express your views, instead of sitting there looking terribly constipated.

Yes, yes, voices sound very nice on the Ls3/5a. But when was the last time you and I went out to listen to live music where there was only one dude or lady on the stage with nothing but his voice? I normally like to listen to a band, preferably electric, preferably with a kick ass drummer and a bassist who knows a thing or two about breaking the laws of dynamics.

Try getting all of that to sound 'realistic' with the Ls3/5a, .... good luck with that. But if voices is all you ever listen to, and if you are the sort who would have felt at home with the crowd that shouted 'judas' at Bob Dylan way back when he picked up his electric guitar, then by all means go for the Ls3/5a. It should please you no end.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by cyh Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi all,
It's been awhile. All this ls3/5a bashing! Ha! I tend to agree with them.
I am just curious....was it the 11 or 15 ohms that was 'dire sounding', or was it the Kit or 60th anniversary that cannot 'boogie down'? Help me out guys. 
The 30th anni or the black tag that is 'limited to vocal recordings'? Richard Allens cannot shake 'your butt'? Want learn from all you sifus here.
Conclusion of 3/5a that it's 'limited dynamic range', 'constipated', 'boring'....mmmm I tend to agree but being driven by? Krell? Leaks? Naims? SS? Tubes? Hybrids? DIYs? After listening to a few 3/5a's and a pair of LS50, am glad I bum into this thread. Finally! Can learn from the experts. Need to wait for reply before buying anything.
Regards:bounce:
cyh
cyh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 pm

cyh wrote:
I am just curious....was it the 11 or 15 ohms that was 'dire sounding', or was it the Kit or 60th anniversary that cannot 'boogie down'? Help me out guys. 
The 30th anni or the black tag that is 'limited to vocal recordings'? 
you mean there's more than one type?? Do these tiny little things breed? Dear God help us all. 

One set i listened to was all Brit... Linn Lp12 front end, Naim amplification. And in the next room was the same linn and naim but with Hey brook hb1.... prefered the heybrooks. but playing rock music lah. Not music to navel gaze or music to watch flowers die by. 

Can't really recall the other set ups but as i recall the purveyors were quite knowledgeable guys, so they were'nt exactly driving them with mini compos.

bal

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

bal wrote:
cyh wrote:
The 30th anni or the black tag that is 'limited to vocal recordings'? 
you mean there's more than one type?? Do these tiny little things breed? Dear God help us all. 

One set i listened to was all Brit... Linn Lp12 front end, Naim amplification. And in the next room was the same linn and naim but with Hey brook hb1.... prefered the heybrooks. but playing rock music lah. Not music to navel gaze or music to watch flowers die by. 

Can't really recall the other set ups but as i recall the purveyors were quite knowledgeable guys, so they were'nt exactly driving them with mini compos.
It's rare to see you personally bashing something Bal Laughing

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 pm

All pent up and ready to roar, ya bro.
VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:43 am

Terribly sorry if it all sounds like pent up bashing, but i'm just sharing honestly how i feel about a speaker that seems to belong in almost every top 10 list i read. To me it just seems like mass hallucination amongst the reviewers. 

But i'm listening thro my own aged untrained ears, with my own expectations for my own pleasure. Please don't let my experiences stop you from pursuing as many pairs of these dreadful speaker that you wish to have and to hold, till deafness or boredom do you part.

We share honestly when we like something, right? Let's have the cajones to share something we DON'T like as well, even if the rest of the world seems hell bent on putting it up  on a pedestal it does not belong on.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks Bal, I totally agree with you.

I take the mini maggies anytime over LS3/5A or P3ESR.
Better Bass, Better Mids and Much Better Highs.
But that is only my view.

The LS3/5A & P3ESR is grossly overated.

Thumbs up to you Bal.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 am

My sentiments exactly. If you are squeezed for space and the money is a little tight, save up for the mini maggies with their bass panel.
Straight A's and you go to the top of the class. And yes, you can shake your butt to it if you want to Boney M out when the spirit moves you to.

(I can almost feel the shudder go thro all the Ls3/5a and P3ESR users.... BONEY M???? Brrrrr, it just got very cold in here... Heavens no.... we do NOT boney M here in Audiophile land, and our tusshies are  very well trained, they do NOT shake to the music, thank you very much).

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 am

Magnepan Mini Maggies
Response 40 to 40,000Hz
True Ribbon / Plannar Sound
Zero Box Coloration, Perfect Tone
Small Size
Totally Addictive
Made In USA
Only RM5,500.00 Brand New.

No, I am Not Selling My Unit
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by musicmusic Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 am

No music lover put down another man's system. Very bad you know.

Want to butt dance buy what you suka. Want to listen smooth music buy what you suka-suka.

Want real live music then listen to Bon jovi live concert. But dont claim your flimsy speaker can give that sound.

How to fight? Big live concert many speakers. Somemore pakai JBL. No maggi mee no LS5.

JBL can go until 16 kilo hertz saja. No 40 kilohetz . somemore they use 40 or more speakers at one time. maybe 10 or 20 subwoofwer. No imaging stuff you know?

Listen like that sound sure get cirit birit. stomac churning loudness. All constipation problem solved.

If maggie mee so good then all live concert all ready pakai that. No JBL or Bose or whateverlah.

At least itu LS5 top ten. Maggi where? Sure feel malu a bit right.

Sekian Terima kasih. No perasaan keras ok?
musicmusic
musicmusic
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:41 am

Glad to see someone write it as it is. Good on you mate. As Voltaire once said... 
''i may not agree with what you said, but i will die protecting your right to say it.''

I'd listen to a JBL that goes down to 16hz any day over those tiny tiny things. 

But stop eating that maggie mee man, that stuff will kill you.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Clap Clap. 
Good for you.
But I love Maggie Mee, How?

I love to listen to yr Mega Mee but I think my small room cannot accomodate 40 speakers and 10 to 20 subwoofers.
Somewhere, I think we are talking about small speakers and not concert hall speakers.
I must have poke a nerve.

BTW, LS3/5A and P3ESR are very good speakers but is overly rated. (my personal view).
If they are not good, people wld not bring it up for comparision.

I think we are still talking small speakers, aren't we?
I am just recommending the buyer another choice, in the same price range, similar size, possibly to be used in a small room and not unrealistically concert hall speakers.
I have no financial interest in the product.  You buy or do not buy, I do not care. But if you are a music lover and value tonality, you will know what I mean.
Do they have JBL with multiple subwoofers at the Petronas Philharmonic Hall or other famous venue?
I am sure they do not have maggie mee too.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by musicmusic Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Bal, maggimee kills but looks likes maggi makes one irrational first.

Voltaire, didnt get to read hifi4sale before making that comment.

16 Kilohertz not 16 htz. but why not changing to JBL and still hanging to maggie. Personal preference right. sayang pada maggie or just hallucination like the accusation you made of others.

VS, do they have any speakers at all in famous hall? macammana ini??? Only small band play they use speakers. Full orchestera nolah. real sound live sound.

But all other times you listen to sound coming out from the pro spekers.

All speakers sound different. What is over rated and not depends on the buyers.

We all kawan kawan. One speaker can be better in one area and not in another. dontlah hentam like we all stupid dont know what sound is.

Got valid data to prove your point. Good. If prefereance then can still state without kasi malu others. why want to talk about you look like when cannot berak???

Sorry again ah. We all kawan kawan.
musicmusic
musicmusic
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi guys...

Each speaker have their own sound quality...always have this speaker better then this in the market...if we talk about comparing this will never end..for me 1 pair of speaker cannot perform all type of music genre some speaker maybe good for this but not that....

I sure Mr Mingleeloh already done his survey and he knows what type of speaker suit him...so he need some idea and review from us by help him either choosing LS3 and LS50 so  no need to cracking head...let the owner or expertise in ls3 or ls50 sharing some info

peace cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:09 pm

"dontlah hentam like we all stupid dont know what sound is".

I really do not have time for all this, I said grossly overrated, you say hantam.
OKOK, yr 10 pairs JBL with 20 subs is best in the world.
Happy?
Can we now go on with our lives???
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azirulfahmie Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm

dudes...

i dont see any wrong with Bal statements... cheerssss....
he loves rock music so that he feel those ls3/5a not gave enough ummphh... I tend to agree with him...
almost nobody sat in static position while enjoying the speed of rock n roll...

dont compare with mega concert speakers laa... not the same league....
if you dont agree then use proper words please...

azirulfahmie
azirulfahmie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by shslpg Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Sorry to interrupt. 
For me, the only have chance to demo/audit ls3/5 is during KLAV show. I've heard some rock music like bad company, ar Rahman, the cisco kids requested by audience this year. The ls3/5 can really rock and play that loud wt no problem at all. Is it because of FM acoustics or some other "method" to do it well?

shslpg
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:03 pm

No hard feeling for everyone... My less than perfect Epos M12i take care of Mini Maggies, LS3/5a and the rest..

That's my case, as I have only this speaker with me~

Everyone loves their own pair of speakers, we will say it is right, eventhough it is wrong Smile

I am here to stir the pot only..it has been a while to see things lit up like that.. keep the candle burning guys!!

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm

shslpg wrote:Sorry to interrupt. 
For me, the only have chance to demo/audit ls3/5 is during KLAV show. I've heard some rock music like bad company, ar Rahman, the cisco kids requested by audience this year. The ls3/5 can really rock and play that loud wt no problem at all. Is it because of FM acoustics or some other "method" to do it well?
very personal preference...maybe if ROCK music the sound must like a live concert and for LOUD maybe for them like standing becide the rail train What a Face What a Face

nobody comments is wrong but if understand the heading and the real question sure there is no problem....

very simple...just create a new title heading and start bashing lol!
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:33 pm

I stand by what i said, musicmusic. If you love Ls5/3a, and have a pair, and they get your heart singing, well then nothing more needs be said, i'm happy for you. 

For me, it's just not the Ls3/5a. I had a pair of Celestion SL600 as well as a pair of Celestion SL700.(long since sold). Used, they are cheaper than the Ls3/5a. And in my opinion they both sound so much nicer. More energy, more bass. I'm sure you get some bass from the Ls3, but it's just not in the same league as 'real life'....or anywhere close.  

I also have a pair of Spica TC50 that i could live with happily should my maggies go up in smoke one day. 

So, no, it's not about the maggies making one irrational, for i could easily live with many other speakers (Adrian's coice of Epos is excellent...i could easily live with epos, or Sonus Fabers... many more).

I think for me it's the asking price of these tiny tiny things... barely out of shoe box category and asking 4K minimum is just nuts... and if you need to spend another 100K for FM acoustics just to get them to sing... that's crazy in my books. Something the size of the Ls3/5a, and as dated as them should go for about rm750 tops... not 4k or more as they are currently priced.

But from the sound of things, i think i better pull out while i can, i really don't care for mud slinging, so i'm out before we get there. 

Cheerio Lads. Meet up in another thread somewhere down the crazy river of time.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azirulfahmie Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:00 pm

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/diffusori/ls3-5-rogers/ls35_hifinews_shootout.pdf

casual reading.... even "malaysia" name was mentioned in page 8/11.
azirulfahmie
azirulfahmie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Check this out...

http://www.affordablevalvecompany.com/ls3_5a.htm

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:20 pm

bal wrote:http://www.affordablevalvecompany.com/ls3_5a.htm
Haha!..that article have been around for years now. I'm cocksure LS3/5a lovers will detest, dispute or feel infuriated at the claims written down.
For new speaker buyers, please use your ears to judge what you want for pleasure. No one will deny you if you insist on owning this pair. Smile

P.S. The author was a former Malaysian now residing in UK.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks CmBoy. I'm missing something... i just cannot understand what is so fantastic about these speakers. That's all. I just don't 'get' them. I'm glad others do enjoy their sound. Laughing 

Perhaps my ears cannot appreciate them. Perhaps i'm getting old. 

Any way, it's great to be able to express myself without anyone getting too pissy about it, and i appreciate the smiley CmBoy!!

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by musicmusic Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Bal, you stand or sit tak apa. You want to call your friend face like cannot pass motion also no problem. But your maggie mi also no good for rock.

The MG1.6 does have limitations, especially in deep bass extension and sensitivity, so in practice loudness capability is almost certainly limited. This is, therefore, not the speaker for those who like their music heavy and loud. The Chemical Brothers tended to sound quite scratchy. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/magnepan-magneplanar-mg1-6-661888/review

On the other hand, the Bass, or lack of Bass became more distracting as my ears became accustomed to the other wonderful features of the MMG. If I only listened to chamber music, or acoustical guitar, I would run with the MMG's and never look back--but I love and listen to almost all music, and any music with lots of low-end power--particullarly Rock was a big disappointment; this loudspeker needs a subwoofer but if I were going to go to that expense, I would buy a larger Magnepan speaker. http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=29468&review=1

LS3 is a monitor speaker. So know your expectationlah. Tak akan beli Proton but complain cannot corner like BMW. That affordablevalves guy mr Lim is a good salesman. His valve amp can rock ah?

Vs, yes JBL can rock but better if can add two maggie then sure awesome.

others; mega speakers or small speaker no issue. end of the day music and citarasa matter. Point is maggie is NOT Utopia so calling LS3 listeners face like suffering constipation is like pot calling kettle black.

So fast got -8 reputation. people no like me ...Sad..oklah I also support LS3 hentam gang. LS3 good for diarrhea. Give me likes. Smile

musicmusic
musicmusic
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:57 pm

if what i wrote hit you so hard, then i'm sorry for you dude. Come on lighten up a bit. All the 'constipation' bit was just for fun. (but seriously, have you looked at guys sitting in the audio showrooms auditioning? Most look like they haven't taken a shit for a week!!!!, sitting in the middle looking so seriously
I really appreciate those who can listen, sing along and shake their booty while also doing the audiophile thing. Just like you can, i'm sure.  lol! 

Take it easy and many thanks on the write up about what the maggies can't do, so now i know. I'll keep away from them like the plague, i will.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Its all about what people have shortlisted and have the intention to buy when at the point of shopping around and ready to buy. I reckon the TS have this in mind. 
LS3/5a have its merits and short comings, and its all up to the buyer to determine what he/she want and afford to pay. Just like I'm quite satisfied to drive my 12 year old banger that countless people may say its unsafe or risky to drive around. Its all up to what any individual want and be content with. Any future regret for not listening to any criticism is to his own peril, entirely his own, not you, me or forumers here. I own a decent brand bookshelf and no way compare to any floorstander but I've to be content considering the kind of music I listen and the home space around me. Of course I would like to own a great 400W McIntosh amplifier and some 5 figure floorstander to rock at anything I throw at it, but it boils down to affordability and practical sense living in a small compact home. 
I did own the LS3/5a for a while and soon felt it wasn't for me for long term ownership. This doesn't mean I developed any hate for it, NONE at all! Another good make of loudspeaker was just more pleasurable and better all rounder, it stopped here..indefinitely. Of course I know Jo Ki personally and all his dedication and love for this speaker model, I take my hat off to him anytime for uplifting them to another league.
My 2 sen.

Last edited by cmboy on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Yes, I feel you have some good points there. And I have tremendous respect for Jo Ki, and if he loves the Ls3/5a as much as he does, perhaps there is something there that I am missing.

Anyway, here's to life and all of it's insane possibilities.
Cheeers lads. flower

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Sometimes, I feel some people or the political climate in Malaysia take sensitivities to an illogical level. Discussion and focus on a particular make or model can bring about the same and make tempers rise for no logical reason. Everyone is entitled to have their own summaries and views on some certain product for reasons best known to them, but often its not to be. Say something in criticism and some people take it as an insult, moreover even a personal insult. This is not healthy and can reveal immaturity or infantile in some public topic. Not everything made is a means to an end nor perfect in every manner. I reckon there's some who don't accept that, just because they're entirely happy and happen to own it for years.
Oh well..Malaysia is very unbecoming these days and some may be frightened to say anything that may be perceived as an insult. Cannot lah!.. Even if you say its perfect, its not the perfect answer! lol! Hifi ain't a religion..so I say..
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by musicmusic Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Bro Bal and others, I also kacau-kacau. You nice guy I know. You simply want to brighten up the forum.

Good also. I come 3 weeks no topik but all jual jual and jual

I also agree all BBC speakers should use to listen to monitor. Music must have kick. But ikut taste man. no good no bad.

Some like layu layu sound.Some like keras keras.

Semua OK ye.
musicmusic
musicmusic
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Isn't this forum objectively for promotions, sales of new and used AV gear? AV Discussion is just another discourse.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by soonthas Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 pm

mingleeloh wrote:i am using an old amp, Musical Fidelity A1, class A 20W. i am thinking ,new ls50 is cost about 4k, but used ls3/5a is more expensive. is it true now day technology can't beat old time one ?
Hi mingleeloh,

To answer your question of " Ls50 or Ls3/5a ? ", due to individual differences in sound preference, it is the best way that if you yourself can get both speakers auditioned with your amp or system at your place and see which speaker sound would suit your preference most.

Others can only give opinions based on their personal preference. And please bear in mind that every speakers have their weaknesses and strengths, it all depends on how one extracts the best and minimizes the weaknesses of the speaker. 

Perhaps any of LS50 and Ls3/5a owners here can be generous enough to fulfill your home audition by bringing their speakers to audition at your place.Very Happy 

Cheers.

soonthas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 208

Back to top Go down

Post by musicmusic Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm

cmboy wrote:Isn't this forum objectively for promotions, sales of new and used AV gear? AV Discussion is just another discourse.
Hifi4sale means thatlah. Very sad people hentam the very product which Wo Kee Hong distribute in Malaysia.

Itu AV show CD sponsor also Wo Kee Hong. Here also got put adversiment.Money for hIFi4sale ma.

Next time people want to put sale for LS5 also think twice because got strong opinion that listerner look like constipated.

How to sell LS5 for sometime? Anyone got the free AV show CD. I want one copy. Please.

Thank you.Terima kasih,
musicmusic
musicmusic
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Why bring speakers to buyer's place for audition? For Klang Valley people, there's always a pair at Perfect Hifi at Amcorp Mall. Audition all you want with your own disc or amplifier if willing. Smile Mr Calvin Lee is the person in charge there.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mingleeloh Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 pm

thanks everyone
i agree with what soonthas said. so i will try to do more audition by myself. choose what i like.

mingleeloh
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HifiAPE Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi mingleeloh,

I am currently having LS 50 in my system and its true as review this babies are a very good pair of speakers but very hard to drive it to full potential. It took me nearly a year to find a suitable amp. I had tried from valve(60watt with KT88) and now ended with S/S(mono Block 350w).

I think better bring your current amp to try this babies

HifiAPE

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mingleeloh Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 pm

At last bought 1 pair Harbeth HL5 already.

mingleeloh
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HifiAPE Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Congratulations to your purchase and you enjoy every bit of your new speakers......cheers

HifiAPE

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down