Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Recommended Vinyl albums

+5
mugenfoo
antaklugom
uncle_vic
alcmy
Wan Azami Hamzah
9 posters

Go down

Recommended Vinyl albums Empty Recommended Vinyl albums

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm old school when it comes to musical tastes, I'm turning 55 next year anyway. If you happen to hunt for old vinyls they'd be older music then.
Anyway just to share with you here's a list of some recommended vinyls of yore in my collection. Mine are the original releases so don't know about the quality of new pressing versions. Music taste is definitely personal but the quality of recording, mastering and pressing are all exemplary with the list below.
Check them out:
Rock
1. Dire Straits-
Sultan of Swing,
Private Investigations
2. Pink Floyd-
Dark Side of the Moon,
Wish You were Here,
The Wall
3. Toto- Toto IV ( I've two of these, will gladly give away one - first come first serve)

Jazz/ and Jazz Fusion
1. Quincy Jones- The Dude
2. Earl Klugh- Finger Paintings
3. Grover Washington Jr- Winelight
4. Donald Fagen- Nightfly
5. George Benson/ Earl Klugh- Collaboration

Oops late for lunch date, more later.

Last edited by Wan Azami Hamzah on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Recommended Vinyl albums Empty Re: Recommended Vinyl albums

Post by alcmy Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:04 pm

are you willing to sell some of these records?

alcmy

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Nice recommendations. I listened to them too.

The sultan of swing is a contraversial piece i had with some of my friends. When I tell them about the kick drums on the sultan of swing track, they stared at me in disbelief!!! I used 4 subwoofers, that's why i could hear the kick drums, whereas they don't even realised they are missing the kick drums till i told them about it!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_lol

So was the bass contents in grover washington jr's 'winelight' track!! My friend argues like hell, about the bass when they are using only a pair of bookshelfs and some a pair of floorstanders only! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin I can't even make out the drums on their setups, and they could swear that it's enuf bass!!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin preferences i reckoned, and they's going to argue this way for the next 20 years! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin When they came to listen to my bass contents on my setup, they were stunned and was speehless for a whole minute after the grover washington jr's 'winelight' track!!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_lol ego busted and feeling very down!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin they could swear they don't want to talk to me again!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:03 pm

alcmy wrote:are you willing to sell some of these records?

Alamak, sorry la not selling any of them. Almost all my vinyl are bought from new and never played on any one else's turntable other than mine. They're my treasured collection. The grooves are as good as from day one, tracking force, angle, bias all jaga one.
Sorry again, cheers.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Uncle Vic,
Phoooah, ure into kick drums and loud bass I see. I'm a sucker for a a more balanced sound. Yep, on Winelight bassist Marcus Miller playing style is fluid but presents a challenge on some systems, but then all Grover Washington's album mixing was like that. I believe it's got to do with Grover's preference for ambience rather than heavy bass.

Last edited by Wan Azami Hamzah on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_rolleyes What uncle _vic said is true..... On some system especially those using small Bookshelf speakers (Not meant to hurt anybody), some recording even with CD,s, alot of detail doesn't comes out especially the Low frequency like the Low bass and Kickdrum.
What ? you are using 4 Subwoofer ? I thought a decent Floorstanders is good enough or just add 1 subwoofer !!! How do you connect them ? Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_pirat
uncle_vic wrote:Nice recommendations. I listened to them too.

The sultan of swing is a contraversial piece i had with some of my friends. When I tell them about the kick drums on the sultan of swing track, they stared at me in disbelief!!! I used 4 subwoofers, that's why i could hear the kick drums, whereas they don't even realised they are missing the kick drums till i told them about it!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_lol

So was the bass contents in grover washington jr's 'winelight' track!! My friend argues like hell, about the bass when they are using only a pair of bookshelfs and some a pair of floorstanders only! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin I can't even make out the drums on their setups, and they could swear that it's enuf bass!!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin preferences i reckoned, and they's going to argue this way for the next 20 years! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin When they came to listen to my bass contents on my setup, they were stunned and was speehless for a whole minute after the grover washington jr's 'winelight' track!!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_lol ego busted and feeling very down!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin they could swear they don't want to talk to me again!!! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_biggrin
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Here's a second short list of Recommended Vinyl Albums with a 5* music, recording, mastering and pressing:

Pop/Country/Jazz
1. Rickie Lee Jones- Rickie Lee Jones
2. Michael Jackson- Thriller (produced by Quincy Jones with Steve Lukather and Eddie Van Halen on guitars, you don't know that do you? Oh yes they did, with a few other well known musicians on that album.)
3. Steely Dan- Aja (I've all of Steely Dan's albums too)
4. James Taylor- Mud Slide Slim (If you love acoustic guitars, this one's a classic)
5. Chuck Mangione- Feels So Good (got two of these too hehe)

Happy hunting.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi Wan,

I have the chuck mangione, james taylor collection album and the MJ's history book. That makes me very diverse in my taste of music.

Hi antaklugom,

The 4 subwoofers are connected out via the speaker terminals of the
amps outlet. 2 unit as stereo pair and other 2 as a stacked mono.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:36 pm

Given the hefty price tag of true FULL-RANGE speakers, its no surprise that maybe 80% or even 90% of home audiophiles do not truly get to enjoy all the Low bass extensions in most recordings. Thats why adding Subwoofer systems is a very "cost effective" method in getting one's home rig to sound full bodied.

However the danger is that with these add-on subwoofer systems being an afterthought, one must be careful not over do it lest it ends up sounding like those Car-park lot Mat-Beng stereo BoomBoom box shootout sessions with their car boot wide open and seeing who's setup can throw the phat bass furtherst.

Its always super painful to match seperate subs to a pair of bookshelf speakers. The main challenges being to preserve the phase coherency in the passover region, & amplitude response to extend flat down to the subsonics with no apparent hump or dips in the crossover regions. Imagine matching the crossover that only one end is tunable (sub woofer adjustments) all the while trying to match the main speaker's natural roll-off characteristics.
What more, the placement of the subs will also affect the overall "handover" sonic signature givng rise to a really small sweetspot for the listener while any deviation from this sweetspot would give rise to either huge boom or suckout (think of comb effects at really long wavelengths).

There are very few subs truly built for Hi-Fi purposes, one brand which i remember was called "Kinergetics Research" which eventually changed the name to "Hsu Research" (coz they got sued by Kinergetics Technologies that makes amps and stuff). Hsu Research was founded by this chap (Mr. Hsu) from SG who started operations in USA and struck it big there.

Other brands that exploit the Sub/satellite arrangement all too well would be the famed BOSE and Atlantic Audio Systems.

And no to mention the generous serving of bass from a well set up turntable. This is assuming that the arm/cartridge combo doesn't cause the pickup system to have a resonance close to the audible spectrum.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Yep, I usually get the best bass from vinyl. Not that I look for it, but the bass is all there and in tune and sufficiently weighty that i just take it for granted. A balanced well set up vinyl system gives you an even response throughout the frequency range. Some people's idea of hi fi is boom booom alrite. How much bass you need to have is dependent on the amount of air you have in your room and then speakers to match. My ReL Q50 sub worked magical in my living room with my Proac Tablettes, Spendor SP1/2s and my Mission 752s. But sound congested in my bedroom. In fact I don't feel I'm missing anything with my baby Proacs in my bedroom. Music singing away and I don't think about hi fi at all and just enjoy whatever I play through them.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA4 Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:05 pm

I find that most of the Mofi albums are pretty good. That said, nothing beats the early pressings of most albums which were done in their country of origin.

I have a few which I consider to be quite good like (off the top of my head):-

Tea For The Tillerman - Cat Stevens (Island)
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (Mofi)
Soundtrack to More - Pink Floyd (EMI)
Meaty Beaty & Bouncy - The Who (forgot the label)
Electric Warrior - T Rex (forgot the label)

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Ok other than my own collection I do have some vinyl given by friends over the years which are not quite my taste. They might be yours. One day I might make an invitation to my home so you can pick and choose. Cheap2 lah. At least they find their way to people who appreciate them.
Cheers.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:53 pm

I am a bass head too and used to connect a sub to my bookshelves.. since using a TL (transmission line) speakers, my listening preferences has been fulfilled, no more 'normal' speakers for me!

Grover's Winelight album is one heck of an album and after 29 years and I agree.. the bass in that track (Winelight) is very prominent after I switched to TL speakers.. most satisfying I'd say! and I still play this LP until now.. Very Happy I have the CD version but that has been collecting dust..

Another great LP to have is Eric Gale's Blue Horizon. If your set up is good, you can actually hear and differentiate that they're using TWO drum kits... Wink

Check out his Island Breeze album, my all time favourite! The bass here is really kick ass and I play loud..! Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_twisted

Spin on bros!

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Paul McCartney's post Beatles albums got great bass lines too. Of course he's a bassist ain't he? Check them out. I've only got one, Live in Tokyo, JVC Pressing.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Toto IV given booked and given away today. No more posts please. And that's the last free lp too hehe.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:36 pm

i prefered ministry - dark side of the spoon
industrial rock rules!! ade vinyl lor
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:59 pm

Vinyls given to me but not my kinda music include Mantovani, Manuel Mountain, James Last, KC and Sunshine Band, Blood Sweat Tears, Teressa Huang, Teressa Carpio, Glenn Campbell, Neil Sendaka, Platters, Stylistics and a few others. For sale soon for those interested.
Never tested on my deck so don't know how'd they'll sound but they look ok visually though.
Cheers.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 pm

I confused. why album discussion in the equipment thread ? Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_question

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:05 pm

Becos it's vinyl I guess. Does it matter?
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Becos it's vinyl I guess. Does it matter?

it should be in non equipment discussion or album discussion. you might want to share the experience in finetuning the turntable..etc..but to discuss the LP album. not appropriate, of coz it doesn't matter, it just misleading.

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:10 pm

It's won't be misleading, if someone tells us with just vinyls ie.turntables the bass is full and tuneful(as someone had already mentioned). It's up to the rest to ask how it's done. then someone replies how the turntable is tuned to get that right bass sound! Just a thought. Recommended Vinyl albums Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down