Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Mac mini as music server

4 posters

Go down

Mac mini as music server Empty Mac mini as music server

Post by Lamkochai Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi all. Have heard good things about using mac mini as music server. have few questions want to ask sifu here

1) which program is the best in term of sound quality? (amarra, fidelia, bitperfect etc)
2) have seen people using ipad or iphone as a remote to control the mac mini. how do they setup this connection? need to buy any app? does the above mentioned programs offer this kind of remote contorl?
3) how is the sound as compared to dedicated music server like the bryston bdp or naim uniti?

thank you

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz
Amplification: gryphon diable 300, genesis phono amp, diy tube amp
Speakers: marten django xl & audiophysic virgo

Back to top Go down

Mac mini as music server Empty Re: Mac mini as music server

Post by elhefe Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Lam,

What music files do u have? Flac, ALAC, WAV or MP3? If Flac, I would go with Amari. If the rest, go with Bitperfect.

For the Remote, just go to Apple app store and search for Apple Remote App... Its free. But this remote can only control iTunes.

The Macmini sound quite decent especially if you connect to a good DAC.... Can be comparable to media player...

Mac mini as music server Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 pm

if i open itune, will the amarra or bitperfect activated automatically? no point using itune only. the sound effect not so good

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz
Amplification: gryphon diable 300, genesis phono amp, diy tube amp
Speakers: marten django xl & audiophysic virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Bitperfect can be turned on and off while running iTunes.

Amarra is a completely different software that used the iTunes library.

Mac mini as music server Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:21 am

I use 'decibel', which is really good and affordable. And i use a DAC, but using M2Tech spdif to usb interface, which unfortunately is no longer supported by mac since the last upgrade called Mavericks. 

So please be careful when you purchase a dac or spdif/dac combo for computer music... you have to make sure the new mac Mavericks supports it. I have gone back to my old Dell laptop which has Jrivers and can use my M2tech without buying any new gear. 

Bal

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by cheelun Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Amarra actually uses your iTunes library. It bypasses the inherent choke in iTunes that automatically downgrade your output 44.1kHz.

When you open Amarra, it will automatically open iTunes as well. Thereafter, you can control your music via iTunes or Amarra. It makes no difference, they will be mirror of each other.  With Amarra, you can output your Hi-Rez music to your DAC.

Like Bal mentioned, please make sure your DAC  supports OS 10.9

cheelun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down