Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Samsung 40in LED TV

+4
runemaster
tlchow811
sting
azri
8 posters

Go down

Samsung 40in LED TV Empty Samsung 40in LED TV

Post by azri Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 pm

how much does it cost in bolehland?
mind sharing the price, im running a survey here before deciding on buying, tqs
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Samsung 40in LED TV Empty Re: Samsung 40in LED TV

Post by sting Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:59 pm

46inches about RM13K

40inches about RM10K

if not mistaken bro, seen it but forget the actual price...
sting
sting
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): Sony Discman
Amplification: BmB karaoke amplifier
Speakers: Jalan Pasar diy speakers

http://sting-journey.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:51 am

tqs.. i browsed senheng to check out the price today
40in 6 series will cost rm8k, 7 series rm9k, 46in 7 series rm11.5k

a friend bought this a month ago, & cost him $2.6k
when converted its about the same, maybe less rm500
but he also gets a 26in samsung hd lcd for free

i preferred led rather than lcd, the picture is not too sharp
the colour is not too bright, is very thin & cooler than lcd after long hours of usage

maybe i will grab one next year before balikkkk!!
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tlchow811 Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:25 pm

azri wrote:tqs.. i browsed senheng to check out the price today
40in 6 series will cost rm8k, 7 series rm9k, 46in 7 series rm11.5k

a friend bought this a month ago, & cost him $2.6k
when converted its about the same, maybe less rm500
but he also gets a 26in samsung hd lcd for free

i preferred led rather than lcd, the picture is not too sharp
the colour is not too bright, is very thin & cooler than lcd after long hours of usage

maybe i will grab one next year before balikkkk!!

Hi there - just to throw some controversy into the mix

There was an article in the papers a few days ago (in the Star but I can't remember whom and when exactly) by an expert in the industry on LCD's. He claims that it's not worthwhile to get one with high specs that cost a lot more because in real life, there is very little difference in performance with regards to reponse time etc. His advice was to save your money and not bother with the top-of the range products.

Also never trust what you see in showrooms - they're always calibrated to look intensely bright and saturated with colours - for long term viewing - it's very tiring on the eyes. When have you seen such intense colours in real lile? They should be caibrated to give softer and more natural tones. The store calibrations may look more impressive at first glance but don't be fooled! Samsung 40in LED TV Icon_eek

My own preference is for plasma screens - there's such a lot of marketing hype - especially by salemen who just believe that the latest must be the best. A good quality plasma beats LCDs hands down - immediate response time for action movies, and true blacks with a wider acceptable viewing angle. The only concern is that if it fails, it does so catastophically so getting an extended warranty would be advisable. (a friends's screen failed just over a year after purchase but it had an extended warranty so was replaced with a new one) With LCD's you're more likely to have some pixellation failure than having the whole screen fail, so you can still watch it. - Just my two cents worth!

tlchow811

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by runemaster Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:06 pm

What I know is usually the room or area that they display the tv is treated, i.e room treatment, brighter light, etc

So it may look nice at the shop but it is likely that you will be disappointed when you view it at your home

runemaster
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:58 pm

Actually my advice IS to get the top model, especially of LCD TV. I am not sure who that 'expert on LCD TV' is in the STAR. But if one have seen the artifacts of DVD for e.g., especially of the 3:2 pulldown for movie transfer to video format, then you will have to agree that a motionflow engine, especially at high frequencies (100MHz for e.g. of the SONY Z-Series) is a must. However, if one have not noticed the artifacts, then I suppose they can count themselves as very very lucky but personally I wouldn't want to count on one being forever not noticing the artifact. Playing Blu-Ray would be a lot better though I was dissapointed to see that this 3:2 pulldown problem also appears with Blu-Ray as well, though to a much lesser degree.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:16 pm

just to clarify - that particular story mentioned by tichow811 did not appear in the audiofile section of the star, but in the intech section.
the tests were done by an american company called displaymate. i have posted it in my blog, but for the benefit of forumers, here is the link: http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Response_Time_ShootOut.htm

and azri, fyi there is no such thing as an led tv, not yet anyway. it is pure marketing hype by samsung. every lcd tv uses leds. it should be accurately called led-backlit lcd tv. just google around and you will find that the samsung led tv has generated much debate. u can also check wikipedia.

From wikipedia: "LED-backlit LCD television or LED TV (term used by Samsung Electronics, Toshiba, Philips, LG Electronics and Vizio) is an LCD TV that uses LED backlighting rather than fluorescent lights used in traditional LCD televisions.

"TV manufacturers can use an LED backlight instead of the standard Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (LCD-CCFL) used in most LCD televisions. It is important to distinguish this method of backlighting, a conventional LCD panel, from a true LED display, or an OLED display. Televisions described as 'LED TVs' are vastly different from the self-illuminating OLED, OEL or AMOLED display technologies. In terms of the use of the term 'LED TV' in the UK, the ASA(Advertising Standards Authority) has made it clear in prior correspondence that it does not object to the use of the term, but does require it to be clarified in any advertising. "

check this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_television

tx

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Don't worry, I did understand that it was a feature in the Star, not a star reviewer making the comments.

It would seem to me that the test was purely comparison of response time. IMHO, this is but only 1 component of the performance of an LCD T.V. Also, the ability to produce smooth playing high quality movies, especially from DVDs and especially where the original master are 24fps film, then all those extra technologies in the high end LCD TVs, IMHO are -NOT- hype. The technique for 3:2 pull-down to convert from 24fps to 30fps guarantees that there will be jerkiness in the DVD. Whether or not one notices it is important. I myself did not notice it until a few years ago. The problem is once I noticed it, it bothered me so much that I can't tolerate it at all. The problem becomes worse with larger TVs or closer viewing distance. Often a fast action shots are so blur that I find them unwatchable. Sony's motion-flow was one of the first technology to make the scenes bearable. Right now, I am going broke buying Blu-Ray replacements of my favourite movies like the original Star Trek movies, or ID4 and so forth.

For those wondering, put on 'Day After Tomorrow' and watch the opening credit, towards the end of the credits rolling, when we are about to get to the ice pack proper, the jerky panning is the most obvious and most troublesome. However, if you are very satisfied with DVD quality, I would advice NOT to try this out. Once you have noticed it, you are in for a lot of trouble (and very large holes in the pocket).

There are other artifacts as well but this one is the most troublesome to me.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hijau Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:38 pm

"With LCD's you're more likely to have some pixellation failure than
having the whole screen fail, so you can still watch it. - Just my two
cents worth!"

Just to share, LCD by Samsung fail me just one week after 1-year warranty period cost of repair is more then to buy a whole new unit. The screen with a total of 6 vertical line failure, I wish it fail like a Plasma then we can just go for a new unit just my thought..

hijau
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BrAvO Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am

What a bad luck, Hijau! Samsung 40in LED TV Icon_cry
BrAvO
BrAvO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:20 pm

must be the current voltage fluctuation
as advised, get a voltage regulator Wink
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hijau Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Thanks guys, Funny thing is we are away for 6-month and the TV plug is remove from the wall but when we got back the TV appear with 1 line failure but over the month it increases to 6 or more stop counting anyway.. I think is a product defect.. Samsung 40in LED TV Icon_sad

hijau
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:11 pm

perhaps also

im away for 2 months & my cheap logitech thx fuse blown
whereas it was performing well before without sweat
luckily its just a 50cent slow blow fuse so i bought 3 hehe