Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 Active Subwoofer (Sold)

Go down

James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 Active Subwoofer (Sold) Empty James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 Active Subwoofer (Sold)

Post by HiFiLab Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:44 pm

James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 Active Subwoofer (Sold) 20140967
James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 Active Subwoofer (Sold) 20140968
James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 Active Subwoofer (Sold) 20140969

JAMES LOUDSPEAKERS EMB-1000

Active subwoofer with 10-inch active and 10-inch passive drivers.
James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 Active Subwoofer (Sold) Subwoo10
little monster of a subwoofer which does subtlety and detail too. Good build quality. Great value.

California’s James Loudspeakers may not be well known here, but its products have been available in Malaysia for some time,attention coming more by word of mouth.

James manufactures more than just subwoofers, but it is these which intrigue – it has models which you can hide in your basement or attic, or bury in your garden (!), as well as plain box subwoofers, like the smallest in the EMB range, the EMB-1000.

The EMB-1000 is a sealed design which isn’t much to look at – it’s an MDF “Granite Black” box. Grander choices of finish (at extra cost, I believe) are available. Small, but not pint-sized, at 30.5 x 30.5 x 35 cm (h/w/d), it weighs 19kg and is solidly constructed.

James’ proprietary Energy Multiplied Bandpass technique is employed in the EMB-1000, where an internal driver is pneumatically coupled to the externally visible (passive) 10-inch aluminium cone. The idea is to limit the need for extreme excursion by the latter to minimise distortion and preserve tight transients, yet obtain better extension.

With 1,000W of BASH amplification on board, it’s not likely to choke when it’s clobbering time. I probably didn’t challenge the EMB-1000 enough – it was used in a two-channel music system.

The EMB-1000 has options for high and low level connections, these being via speaker binding posts and RCA inputs, respectively. I used the former only. One of my concerns had been whether there would be any audible side effects from the onboard kilowatt switch-mode amp – there was none that I could perceive, even though the EMB-1000 was plugged into the same gangway as my phono preamplifier.

Running in the unit took significantly longer than anticipated, but when the drivers got into stride the benefits were audible. Serious set-up should begin after it becomes more settled; there was quite a noticeable change for the better.

Having listened to a few subs, it’s my experience that not all are created equal. The EMB-1000 gets deeper than most for its size, yet is fast, dynamic and well defined.

I’m in no position to bestow any “best in class” titles, but if you know of a subwoofer significantly bettering the performance of this unit, at the size and local price (step up to the plate, REL and Sunfire), do tell.

Recommended enthusiastically.

Reference review :
http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/story.asp?file=/2007/12/24/audiofile/24james

http://legacy.jamesloudspeaker.com/lit/perry1.pdf

http://www.stereophile.com/content/james-loudspeaker-emb-1200-subwoofer-james-emb-1000-subwoofer

Price : RM Sold
Contact Simon Ting 012-3612507

Last edited by HiFiLab on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sold)

HiFiLab
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2967
Registration date : 2011-03-12

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down