Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

My Equipment, setup & matching - pls advise

2 posters

Go down

My Equipment, setup & matching - pls advise Empty My Equipment, setup & matching - pls advise

Post by emanon Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 pm

EQUIPMENT
Sources
Media player - Himedia HD900C
CD player - Tone Winner TY-20 export model

Receiver - NAD T748
Amp - Emotiva XPA-100 mono for center speaker

Speakers
Front - Sonus Faber Toy One
Center - Usher X-616
Surround - Usher S520
Sub - SVS PB12-NSD

-----------------

Added the Emotiva XPA-100 with intention to improve vocal in movie. It works, I can hear conversations in movie without looking at subtitle. 

Please advise:
1. I heard a lot about equipment matching but really don't know how well my equipment matching with one another. What do you think?
2. Bought the CD player after reading a magazine ad magazine in HK. Maybe it has yet to show its true capability with the AVR amp.
a. What do you think about the CD player alone?
b. Thought of adding Topping TP60 to drive the front speakers, with 1 source from AVR, another source from CD player. Would that be an improvement to both audio and movie?

Thanks all...

emanon

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-09-16

Back to top Go down

My Equipment, setup & matching - pls advise Empty Re: My Equipment, setup & matching - pls advise

Post by adrian4454 Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi emanon,
     Welcome. You may want to describe what you try to achieve with your audio.

What is not satisfying in ur audio setup?

It sound like you have a bit of reservation over the performance of your newly bought CD player; what do you compare it with? Have it been run in for at least 50 hours or so?

Thanks.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

My Equipment, setup & matching - pls advise Empty Re: My Equipment, setup & matching - pls advise

Post by emanon Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for your response. 

I am not comparing my setup with others but trying to explore the possible improvement for audio. 

Let's start with this... there's doubt on the capability of the NAD T748 in driving the Sonus Faber Toy One, as the receiver is with just 7x 40w power output...
Spec of Sonus Faber Toy One
2-way, freq response 45-25,000 Hz, power handling 20-150w, sensitivity 87dB, normal impedance 4Ω. 

I also have the impression that normally an AVR amp wouldn't outperform a dedicated stereo amp in the same grade / level of performance. 
The thought on Topping TP60 is an attempt to move the CD player away from AVR to stereo amp, I supposed you have good experience with TP60 that you can share...

In fact, I recently read about your equipment review on Bada Purer 3.3. and like the way you expressed your appreciation on the components used in the amp though I don't really know the benefit that each of the component contributes. 
I guessed the time I bought the CD players in HK, I was with the same appreciation on the extra ordinary / higher end  components though I can't tell if the difference is significant when it comes to the output. That's why I wish to explore it...

I have been using that CD player for 1-2 years, so run-in should not be a concern. 

Thanks...

emanon

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 am

Hi emanon, u r quite right that the av amp isn't doing any good compare to a dedicated stereo amp. 
Power is important but not the ultimate solution to a good sound. U maybe right that ur sonus Faber needs more than 40w to works to it full potential. I did own the topping tp60 before. It isn't a power house. It is more music than dynamic. I don't think it will do better than the NAD in dynamic term. 
Sources like cd or any streamer will always make lesser audible impact compare to amp n speaker change. But u will appreciate more when ur amp n speaker r well match n of better resolution.
If u have difficulty finding dealer with budget equipment that can lend for trial. U may want to give audio gd precision 1 or 2 integrated amp a try. Cost more, but I think they more dedicated for high fedelity with good enough power.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by emanon Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks, Adrian. 
Appreciate your kind sharing. 
Will check on the Audio GD presision too. Cheers...

emanon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down