Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

How to listen to music

4 posters

Go down

How to listen to music Empty How to listen to music

Post by terenceng94 Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 pm

I think this is a great video explaining "how to listen to music"
Just sharing Smile although it's a little not related to hifi and audiophile haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKZDSIHV80

terenceng94
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2013-09-11

Back to top Go down

How to listen to music Empty How To Listen To Music

Post by peter chan Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi Terence Ng,
I personally appreciate your effort to share 
this link  Very Happy
Its a good one.
I had been having hard time to "tune" my kids
to respect the artist by asking them to listen to 
the whole piece of song or performance before
skipping to the next song.
They used to skip a song half way to "taste"
the next one.
Now they are more patient and know how to
enjoy my CDs collection...
Just wish one day my kids will stand up and 
clap their hands after listening to a song or
performance... Very Happy

peter chan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

How to listen to music Empty Re: How to listen to music

Post by terenceng94 Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 am

Hi Peter,
Glad that you think it's good. Glad that they are more patient and know how to enjoy your CDs collection now, I suppose somewhere in their journey they have managed to find the genre that appeals to them. Well, kids are still young! and plenty of room to grow, not to mention when we are young, a lot of soul searching (this process makes them even more sensitive and emotional) is done. At least that was the case for me haha! And most of the times it's difficult to express and hence music comes into play. It engages us emotionally and speaks to us (Music is indeed a language) as Maestro Barenboim said, we fly together with the music. 

But for what you have mentioned, I could relate because most of the modern music especially contemporary or new age are somewhat very repetitive; playing around few chords or so, may catch my attention for a while but it gets boring and it doesn't stay in my head for long. This is because I find that there is lack of meaning and and I can't possibly relate it to anything or me myself. That may be the case for your kids so I'm not sure.

This is why, music with lyrics, songs in short offers a greater experience because it speaks to us now not only with music but with words (a common language to people who are music illiterate) to engage the listener easier. Such music may be a very good starting point for beginners. That's my 2 cents  Very Happy 

For me myself, I listen to all sort of music and and never limit myself to explore but of course when it comes down to preference, I really love classical music a lot, be it from anywhere in between baroque to modern as it offers the greatest pleasure when listening to the piece as almost every piece has a story behind it, the reason the composer composed which of course I can never forget about the entire music at all (unlike most repetitive modern tunes where I can probably just recall a few catchy notes), in sense of both the tune,harmony and the story behind it. Of course I think for one to go to such extent is unnecessary to enjoy music (as it really requires a bit of research and reading), but I think a person should and would when his interest are spurred because it would definitely offer a greater sense of pleasure and satisfaction than to just enjoy the music blindly.

So if I may suggest, perhaps, if your kids find it hard to appreciate the song, maybe you can tell them more about the story of the song to help them to be more engaged with the song? As it may open them to a new realm and hopefully spur some interest. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the long reply haha! hope you dont get bored through my ramblings  pale

Last edited by terenceng94 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

terenceng94
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2013-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by peter chan Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 am

Good morning Terence,
I appreciate your advise again.
Ya, agree and will do some reading and 
"reserch" of the background of my-like
music.... in order to properly lead my 
kids to the music-appreciation direction.
Thx again for your sharing  Very Happy

peter chan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 pm

Allow me to share this on your thread...
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-01-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Wadia
Amplification: Krell + Mcintosh
Speakers: Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by adcomer Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:28 am

I did not watch the youtube link yet due to not at home..but your topic grabbed my attention. 
As for me...I never have a deep feeling on the inner story of the song. But I enjoy the song via the varieties of the instruments existed in the mix. And when I hear something new from the recordings that will be the greatest joy for that moment. And I will keep trying to find that hidden treasure each time I diy my equipment etc..but that is the pleasure for me at least.

adcomer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down