Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

GST impact on hifi

+4
dirtrun
cmboy
elhefe
atoz
8 posters

Go down

GST impact on hifi Empty GST impact on hifi

Post by atoz Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 pm

Think the implementation of gst will encourage the sales of 2nd HiFi. The current issues on the USD and GST will affect the sales of new stuffs.
Is our 2nd HiFi dealer in KL charging GST?
atoz
atoz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

GST impact on hifi Empty Re: GST impact on hifi

Post by elhefe Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:31 pm

I guess, if the dealer is running the 2nd hand sales under a legit company, and have registered as a GST company with the ministry, they will charge GST.

Maybe dealers here can enlighten us.

GST impact on hifi Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:30 pm

My thinking is if there was 10% sales tax (other than excise) levied on import of the hifi products, then the cost of product should be broken down and revised to 6% GST instead of 10% previously, add on profit margin, dealer margin, etc = final retail price. All prices should be revised as we assume all legit hifi products have had 10% sales tax already calculated into the final price, so its up to the dealers or distributors to clarify or justify their latest price, increase or decrease. 
Look!..the car market is being hotly debated on whether it should be cheaper or not. But then new price lists reveal its not just a straightforward 4% off. In fact some changed a bit, some no change, that sort of thing.
In case of hifi, I'm thinking its unfair to blatantly add on 6% GST in addition to current retail price. Say Marantz CD Player at RM1,000 nett in March, come April onwards its RM1,000 + RM60 = RM1,060. Fair?
My 2 sen here.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:51 pm

My 2 cts,

For de Regular Joes, I don't see a rush to join tis hobby of ours even if there is a straight 4% difference in price .. as they would probably be more wary about increasing inflation as compared to de paycheck..

For de rich, it should be status quo - l don't tink a 'minuscule' % bump in price [even if its due to our  weakening RM] is gonna stop them from 'upgrading' ..

Smile
D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi...

To me personally....all is on hold till the GST situation levels off in the next few months to a year.

What I am seeing after GST going live....a simple comparison...a cup of fruits.....which cost RM2.00 has gone up to RM2.50 and RM3.00 if flavouring added. ( Asam )....

One way or the other there would be hidden cost incorporated into the final price of a product thats being sold.....

GST could be in the value of "Cents" per transaction but times that value with the 10 million people paying for the same prduct with GST.....your guess is good as mine......

Re-Strategize is the key word for me personally....

From a Hi-Fi point of view....i have gotten most of my hardware up to my expectation.....and won't be throwing my $$$ into upgrades anytime soon. May buy Cd's & Vinyl.....but thats if pricing is right toooo....

cheers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Its..

Inevitable.. Or does de ministers in their ivory tower really tink its gonna be just everybody following de black and white directives from Kastam [not tat, tat is much clearer Shocked ]
Rather , they must die die squeeze de regular rakyat for more 'taxes'..

Sighss Crying or Very sad 
D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by atoz Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Just bought some DVDs from Speedy, price up by around 10%.
atoz
atoz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gettindirty Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:46 am

The 6% GST on audio & stereo are indeed very very bad for malaysia hifi kaki. The future seems to be very cloudy & uncertain for malaysia Hifi market. So sad.....

gettindirty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2009-05-30

Character sheet
Source(s): Denon DCD-1600NE, Bluesound Node, Shanling M8 DAP
Amplification: Roksan Blak , Sound Artists SA-200IA, Yulong D200, Aune X8, Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Speakers: Proac D2R, Sonus Faber Lumina, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Q Acoustics M20, 64 Audio A12T, Fearless Audio S8F

Back to top Go down

Post by sph Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:56 pm

GST affects every single Rakyat. The most affected will be the poor. In fact the rich will benefit in some aspects - TV will cost less. Lobsters and jewelry won't be taxed. Aren't these luxury items which the poor can't afford? It is strange that such items are GST exempted. 
And are we paying other taxes on top of GST? In the UK and US many things are cheaper (even with VAT) than in Malaysia. 
To introduce GST the Malaysian govt should have started with 3% (or even 2%) instead of 6%. Singapore started with 3% to lessen the burden on its citizens. Why didn't our govt do that? Broke? Bankrupt perhaps? 
Our salaries have been stagnant for some years.  Now isn't the right time to introduce GST. Only when the country has achieved high income status can GST be introduced.

sph
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gettindirty Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Yes i would say msia govt is indeed very near into broke or bankrupt. That the only reason i could think off why msia govt start with such high rate at 6%.
Ps... I don think the rich will gain anything from it either.

gettindirty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification: Roksan Blak , Sound Artists SA-200IA, Yulong D200, Aune X8, Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Speakers: Proac D2R, Sonus Faber Lumina, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Q Acoustics M20, 64 Audio A12T, Fearless Audio S8F

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Yup!..I'm sure everyone are disappointed about the GST. To me I see it as 2 out of 2 things.
1. Reluctant to pay more for anything. 
2. Cost of urban living here and purchasing disparity is increased so rapidly. Its becoming more intolerable for most wage earners and low income group.

For me if its ordained that I can't own a new amplifier at RM10-20k eventhough I want it so badly, I will dismiss such desire and live within my means. Until such time I can really afford it with ease. I will not starve my family just to own that 10k amplifier.
A US$2,999 high end amplifier can translate to RM15k. As Malaysian earning in SHringgit, its just not possible to afford such gear. The circumstances are working against your desire. We earn in rm..not USD.. for US people, its their fortune and benefit, if they choose to buy. Different places, different culture, mindset and fortune.
Consider lucky still get to play hifi or buy it. If this were Somalia or some failed country..we got nothing to talk about.

Last edited by cmboy on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gettindirty Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:25 pm

I m 1,001% agreed with u up there... I Would think twice before purchasing anything & that included electronic items. Unless my boss is generous enough to raise my salary above 6% hahahaha...

gettindirty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by gettindirty Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 pm

I actually has plan to purchase a new hifi set around $50k but now i think i rather keep the money in bank to gain interest. Sorry to say this to hifi suppliers but believe me when i say i m equally heart broken :-(

gettindirty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:33 pm

I was very lucky when someone gave me his busted 32" LCD TV. Cost me less than RM5 worth of parts and my time or expertise to repair it. It was a risk. Now repair done, I got a new used TV, replaced the old energy sucking 29" CRT TV. I was desiring to buy a new TV all the while but GST STOP me from spending. I intend to give that TV away FOC to some charitable cause...Old folks home, some home..NOT to individuals. Have to service it 1st..ensure its clean and working properly.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:59 pm

How I wish I was born 10 years earlier...
the food tasted better...
the prices of goods were cheaper...
cheaper petrol...
houses were much much cheaper...
air was cleaner...
share prices were lower...
people were friendlier (esp on driving)...
ended up doing same/more things at lower costs
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Audio Alchemy DDS II + DDE v1.1, Google Chromecast Audio
Amplification: Arcam FMJ A19
Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo 25

Back to top Go down

Post by atoz Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:57 am

Its a good time to promote DIY, buy minimal new parts to save money. Our DIY community is still far behind many countries. Open up a new thread for selling or swapping of scrape parts should help a little.
atoz
atoz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:56 am

atoz wrote:Its a good time to promote DIY, buy minimal new parts to save money. Our DIY community is still far behind many countries. Open up a new thread for selling or swapping of scrape parts should help a little.
I've done DIY hifi for decades and its unfortunate that due to many circumstances its all related to cost. Vital, essential and desirable parts and components availability is a hurdle which most have to be sourced from abroad. Shipping costs too have risen rapidly in recent times and our shringgit have not made it any cheaper. This is indeed an unfortunate setback for any potential DIY'er. DIY is supposed to be a cost effective solution but the trouble is costs have risen and the cost effective solution got more expensive in these times. Shipping a cd or LP from USA can be demanded by seller at up to US$15. Imagine the costs of 3 transformers for some tube amplifier. Feeling so sorry, its our prevailing circumstances and geographical location makes most imports more expensive these days and only those who can afford and willing to fork out higher prices can see his DIY project as a viable cost effective solution compared to the real deal.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Haha,

All these 'bitching' about high shipping costs and our low RM is made worse with GST ..
Fortunately .. so far [ l dunno if it will change ] but Blu-rays/dvds/cds shipped from Amazon isn't subject to GST ... YET [ like l said, l wont be surprised if the powers that be decide to change tis.. ]
BTW.. if its any consolation, AMZ.DE[germany] has one of the lowest shipping charges to Malaysia - I mean if you buy a sufficient amount..  as compared to their US, UK, CA, JP sites..

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down