Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Experience On Thiel Speaker

5 posters

Go down

Experience On Thiel Speaker Empty Experience On Thiel Speaker

Post by yoyoma Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:43 am

I have read through the thread and see no discussion on the thiel speaker. As I know there are quite a lot of Thiel user in Malaysia since 1980s. Should any Thiel speaker user care to share some experience and set up here? Let it be Stereo or HT set up.
regards

yoyoma

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Experience On Thiel Speaker Empty Re: Experience On Thiel Speaker

Post by sflam Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:20 pm

i do not own thiel speakers, but i might as well get this thread going since nobody posted anything for three days.

i have heard only two models - the CS3.7 and the MCS1. Of course, the top model 3.7 sounded better, but both had a similar sonic signature.

i found the thiels to be forward sounding, bright and very detailed. the 3.7, especially was hyper detailed, which may not be liked by everyone.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Damn good speakers, DAMN Hungry for power.

If u play Thiels, CS3.something and above, make sure u got alot of POWER to feed them. Smile

Personally, i prefered the CS3.6 over the new CS3.7, like sflam mentioned, 3.7 is abit more forward sounding and leaning on the Bright side.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Curious...
Where can we have auditions on Thiel speakers in KL?
Any showroom?
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 pm

centre circle, taman tun dr ismail, kl

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Oooh.. Maybe can also listen to the Egglestons too. hahahaha... Smile

Thiel has been on low profile mode in these few years, right?
The slanted front design of the speakers.
I have only listened to them during old audio shows.
So long ago already and I dont think I can still remember how they sound like.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by yoyoma Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Sorry forthe late reply. I own a pair of thiel 2.4 and I found it pretty ok in sound. Many will say the high range is too high or too bright but I believe is the matching of power amp and cdp. Once i hear them pair with krell 400 it sound very bright and sound very forcefull and to the extend my ears cant really take it. There is also time when I listen to them pairing with pass lab 250 and 350.5 in center circle its does not sound good to me too. I almost make up my mind that this thiel 2.4 does not suit me its just too bright. However, during a visit to singapore sound decision and a trip to taipei, I changed my mind and finially bought a pair in. They sound good (at least to my liking) with the full audionet setup that I have. But warned that some china recording that I bought and used to sound good in my audio research setup does not sound good in my setup now. They are just honestly deliver the sound quality of the recording that we play with no hesitation and this is why many do not favour Thiel speaker or they just favour coloration in a setup.
You are right that some old model is really need a lot of muscle to push them like cs5, cs7 the current 3.7,2.4 are pretty alright with lower power amp. Thiel 3.7 sound forward most of the time as our listening room is not big enough, give them an amber space, they sing. I pretty buy the idea of thiel designer sound reproduction as he mentioned you want it real or you want it colored? After read an article and been to concert or "chai qin" in HK, her sound is not that what we hear, so warm, sweeten,or sexy....but she sound very lively and younger than the sound play by the hifi equipment that played in the hifi shop. Hope my statement not offending anyone here. good day.

yoyoma

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:02 pm

I only have two experiences to share regarding Thiel speakers. As per the trend already set by other forumers, these are what I have honestly experienced so do decide to take it or leave it (so to speak lar Experience On Thiel Speaker Icon_biggrin ).

My good friend used to play Thiel CS7.1. This is a huge 6foot high flloorstander which was once regarded as one of the best speakers in the world. They are super hungry for power but when given the required power, will deliver exquisite sound. My friend intitially drove them using Krell KSA300. The bass was lacking and sound very lifeless especially big classical pieces. Then he went to Krell MDA-300. Big improvements in amount of bass but the sound still sounded too restrained, even lethargic. Finally my friend got fed-up and asked 'what's the best Krell amp available', and he upgraded to Krell KAS. Finally the CS7.1 truly opened up. Big orchestral pieces now really sound dynamic with full power coming through. The sound is transparent and the soundstage very big. Nice detail. However, the final ending of the story is not a happy one for Thiel. When my friend upgraded the rest of the system to match the Krell KAS, he eventually felt the CS7.1 lacking in absolute quality and upgraded to Wilson Grand Slamms.

The 2nd experience was more unusual and in a way is forever etched in my mind. Last year, an ex-colleague and very close friend was finishing his new bungalow and wanted to buy a new hifi system to complement the new house. He dragged me along to be his 'consultant'. Off we went to CC (on his request) who strongly recommended the newest Thiel CS5. We sit down to hear the system but I was very uneasy as the sound was harsh, bright and brittle. Very unpleasant to listen to. But as the owner of the shop was a very nice fellow, I did not say anything to my friend, thinking to give my opinions only after we leave the shop. Unfortunately the owner then left the listening room to attend to something and my friend asked us - me and his wife what we think. Before I could answer, my friend's wife told him "I DON'T WANT THIS SPEAKER IN MY HOUSE. The sound is so irritating I felt like slapping someone !". No need to complete the story lar. Sorry to the dealer for having to relate this story. Nevertheles, for Thiel lovers, this story has a happy ending instead. My friend ended up getting a pair of 2nd hand Thiel CS7.1 from the same shop.

Like I said, this are my experience as they are, unaltered. Experience On Thiel Speaker Icon_lol
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content