Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

QUAD 303 amplifier

+4
tycham
jazzy939
uncle_vic
iamkroll
8 posters

Go down

QUAD 303 amplifier Empty QUAD 303 amplifier

Post by iamkroll Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:13 am

i have a quad 303 amp thats been lying in my store for ages! BUT im not sure whether its working still. im just wondering how much is the value of this amp now. i've read in many forums and reviews that its one of the best amp that quad ever produced...

iamkroll

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Back to top Go down

QUAD 303 amplifier Empty Re: QUAD 303 amplifier

Post by uncle_vic Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:08 pm

It is one of the better ones. It's a current dumping amp right? Run it and see. Maybe u may like the way it handles some bookshelf speakers! At least have a good listen before u decide to get rid of it, the listening experience may be very invaluable to u at some future date! QUAD 303 amplifier Icon_lol

Similar analogy will be it feels great to have driven a morris minor, a hillman imp, a mini minor and maybe a volksvagen. The driving experience adds to the joy of learning how to drive some of this classics! QUAD 303 amplifier Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:17 pm

uncle_vic, I like the analogy!
I remembered a close friend of mine who has this power amp and the matching pre-amp. Partnered with a Linn LP12 and AR18 speakers, man they rocks! MY friend is a rocker and he's happy! Very Happy

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by iamkroll Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:47 pm

i would love to try it but i dont know how to set it up. and i dont have the wires and also im very unsure about the functions.

i actually have the quad 303 tuner and pre-amp also, but if im not mistaken, i destroyed the tuner when i was a kid. lol.

iamkroll

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:11 am

There are some forumers here knowledgeable in QUADs. Just wait for someone to answer your question.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 pm

iamkroll wrote:i would love to try it but i dont know how to set it up. and i dont have the wires and also im very unsure about the functions.

i actually have the quad 303 tuner and pre-amp also, but if im not mistaken, i destroyed the tuner when i was a kid. lol.

I am afraid you would have to acquire the five pin Din to Din connecting lead first and the Bulgin power lead first. from source to preamp it would be RCA to Din (maybe can use adaptor for this).

For full operation you can download the manual here if you do not have them.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/quad.shtml

Good luck.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:06 pm

uncle_vic wrote:It is one of the better ones. It's a current dumping amp right?

Its' immediate successor, the 405 is the first current dumping amp.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by chamts1 Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi, I have a set Pre-33 & Power amp 303, bought thro a friend, said it was send from Sabah by pos laju but arrived with the volume control pot. damaged due to not packed properly. Since then I had learnt how to repair & upgrade the set & I must say I am very happy with it. Do give it a chance to perform first before thinking of getting rid of it. For input, you need RCA line socket to DIN (5-pin) coverter. For output, it is DIN (original is 4 pin, many units mod to 5-pin) to line RCA socket. The power supply plug is a small Bulgin type for both the Pre-amp 33 & the 303. Unlike Morris Minor which is a valuable vintage to enjoy, but had not the performance of current cars.... the 33-303 is a vintage which perform on par if not better than many current amps.....Once you get it running, do think about upgrading it. Like old machines, some parts don't last forever & need to be replaced/upgraded to run well (like old car will need new tires, rubber hose, fan belts).....The 33-303, once upgraded, is a very very good sounding amp. Will sent you actual photos how to set it if you are interested. Also, find time to check out http://quadrevisionspot.blogspot.com/ Good luck.

chamts1
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 am

check the caps and see if any of them have leaked or not.

Easier to open it up and inspect/replace them, than to turn the amp on and suddenly "BOOMS!" ala Ris Low style...

In case anyone doesn't get the "BOOMS!" analogy , here's a link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F74FZfdSJY
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by wck Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:29 am

What ChamTS1 mention is correct. I myself have 2 sets of Quad FM3, 33 and 303 with a pair of PRO63. The PRO63 are a higher standard ESL63 and pretty hard to drive e.g about 79dB and extremely demanding impedance across the spectrum. The 303 can drive them without any fuss. Drives my SL6S easily as well. Sounds loud on my more modern 1995 speakers.

I originally wanted the FM4, 34, 306 to drive my Celestion SL6S (still have them). Was extremely disappointed by the 306 - so much so I was put off by Quads for a number of years as heard the 405, 606, etc.

By chance a number of years later, I heard a Quad 303 in a used hifi shop. Could not believe my ears!!! You would have though the next generation of products would be an improvement over the previous ... w-r-o-n-g!!!

You can have a look at my 2nd 303 - original and after recapping at http://myoldvintagehifi.blogspot.com/2010/12/quad-303-after-recapping-2nd-unit.html as that has a link to the original before it was recapped. When I 1st got it, one of the channels was a little softer than the other. When I open up, got a good surprise - see for yourself. But it was working fine then.... Works well now.

wck

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by terencebee Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a Quad 606 for sale? Anyone interested? Still in mint condition...
terencebee
terencebee
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down