Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Setting for Front Speaker and Subwoofer.

4 posters

Go down

Setting for Front Speaker and Subwoofer. Empty Setting for Front Speaker and Subwoofer.

Post by eugenecctan Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi all Sifus,

I am using pioneer 818, I have 2 front speakers frequency ranges from 40 hz -> 50khz and centre and surround frequency ranges from 85 -> 20k.

My questions are,
1) Just want to confirm, I should set my crossover frequency to above 85hz right? since that is the lowest frequency for my centre and surround speakers.

2) Most of the article in internet teach us to set all speakers to small if with subwoofer, what if I set the front speakers as Large and subwoofer as PLUS. Because for pioneer AVR, there is a PLUS function for subwoofer, will I get better bass? My subwoofer frequency ranges from 28hz to 200hz. And for my front speakers, is it ok to set it as Large with subwoofer?

Here is the explanation for PLUS, PLUS setting if you want the subwoofer to output bass sound continuously or you want deeper bass (the bass frequencies that would normally come out from the front and center speakers are also routed to the subwoofer)

Welcome any comments, thanks.

Last edited by eugenecctan on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Setting for Front Speaker and Subwoofer. Empty Re: Setting for Front Speaker and Subwoofer.

Post by azri Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 pm

mind telling what front speakers & sub you are having rite now?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Setting for Front Speaker and Subwoofer. Empty Re: Setting for Front Speaker and Subwoofer.

Post by eugenecctan Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Sony ss-mf500h front speakers 8 ohms with 180 watts max, and 2 Sony Surround sounds SS-SR 305 8 ohms with 100 watts max and 1 Sony centre Sony SS-CN305 with 120 watts max.

SA-WMSP4 Subwoofer
100W x 1 (6 ohm, 28- 200Hz, 0.8% THD)

Anything related to speakers and subwoofer?

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:10 pm

go for a bigger sub mate, thats too small in my opinion.

you may gain same low frqs at low volume but just when you
crank the vol at high level than you will notice the sub is
just there like doing nothing
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi azri, thanks for your recommendation, actually I am just using it for my bedroom, and i saw an article on how to choose the subwoofer size.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/AperionU/choose_subwoofers.aspx

On deciding what size of subwoofer i should use. hmmm, maybe it is time to consider to get a new sub woofer.

Btw, still no 1 answering the 2 questions that i have posted. Any sifus willing to help?

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Hope to hear any sharing, I am very new to AVR. Thanks.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by scllyt Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi, i'm using AX3. To my liking, i set the fronts as LARGE (to have more 'direct' range of frequencies, than SMALL which lost a lot of details, after the crossover) and sub to PLUS and manual set to frequency response match with the lowest Hz your front speakers can go. Increase your calibrated sub channel level +3, to have a bit stronger bass. Try using DTS (or DD II) rather than THX in your movie mode. THX is not my mode maybe because my system are not using THX certified products (except the amp) so can't bring out the full potential of THX.

Hope this help.

scllyt

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks scllyt for your suggestion. =)
Maybe I should try to position my sub woofer first, currently feel that the bass is lack of punch, especially for movies with gun shooting.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Try those subwoofers with built in active servos like James or infinity or yamahas. Make a lot of difference with the ease of adjustments and the sound quality too.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Hmmm, the problem now is, I dun think I have a better place to put my subwoofer, currently I put at the middle of my square bedroom. I know the best place to put the subwoofer is actually at the corner, but anyhow, If middle of the room is the only option I have, can I just increase the channel level for subwoofer for like +3, 4 Db? will it affects my MCACC calibration? Currently Auto MCACC set it as -1 Db, will I get better bass if channel level increase? Hope to get any suggestion, I will try every suggestion after work, (Before my neighbour go to bed. =P)

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down