Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

US type power cord

+9
fizi
lawken
aminmh
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
BrAvO
Shanghai
hoyhoysum
KenZen
Opera
13 posters

Go down

US type power cord Empty US type power cord

Post by Opera Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Since, the US is using left side as the "LIVE", is it necessary to swap the "LIVE" to the left side on the wall socket ?

How would it impact the sound if remain as British standard i.e "LIVE" on the right side ?

How about the device like CDP and amp ? Can it handle both way as "LIVE" ?

Opera
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

US type power cord Empty Re: US type power cord

Post by KenZen Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:43 pm

It is recommended to ensure that the correct polarity is adhered to for best sound quality. Of course some system may be designed to accept both ways but most will follow the correct polarity. Note that most equipment's IEC socket has fuse. When polarity is reversed and there's a power leak, your fuse may blow, protecting the unit but the unit is still "live" hence the risk of electrocution.

It is AC after all so yes, it will work both ways.

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Good question...i further like to know from sifus around here..

1) Is it ethical to use a 110V 60hz ac plugs to be used for our 240Vac 50hz mains?

2) Is the power chord able to sustain the higher voltage of 240Vac?

2) Does it sounds better compare to our british equivalents?

3) Will the wire sound differnt when used with lower mains frequecy of 50Hz? Reviews on power chords is usually done on their local mains of 110V 60Hz, will it preform the same when used with 240Vac 50Hz...anybody done any test before???

Care anybody to enlighten me..
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanghai Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:12 pm

Opera, Ken Zen and Hoyhoysum,

1. Polarity- If you used US type power cord into the Malaysian(UK system) main plug point on the wall - one MUST change the polarity. IF not there will be a major "quality" differences in sound - Sound character will change- out of phase sound , bass will be "heavy" , focus + imaging will be out. same goes for CD or etc. Power amp generally most affected by this POLARITY.

2. The US and British plug denominator 110v and 240 v and HZ respectively are the LOAD standards setting on these plugs - the tolerance levels are very high . Hence the next question is self explanotary - a US power cord will definately can take the 240 volt UK type main plug point. . However the power cord affect sound "quality " significantly not the plug chassis standards. Of course if you play at this level you probably know this - not explain by science though.Third answer depends what you meant by ethical , but it is safe - check with your fire insurance expert!!! I did not come across such clause in my fire insurance. The margin of safety is there. It is a lifestyle that you diffcult to shake off , if not there will be fire incidents every minute in US or countries that are using these specification. But those want "extra protection" ....just want to be ...!!!!

3. US plug power connection sound better because it has no fuse compare to the british one except for load above 13AMP. The fuse confirmed to deteriorate 2-3 % of sound , hence if you have 4 british 13 amp plug you have 12% loss in sound quality. Changing "audiophile grade material fuse in the said british plug may help at first but will deteriorate in time , and it is also cumbersome to do so.
Please test it yourself

Cheers
Shanghai

Shanghai
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BrAvO Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:02 am

UK Plugs users out there, change to US Plug now... It's really sound much better. Get a good 1 like Furutech. Even their entry level plugs at about RM150-180 per pc, does makes a lot of different.
BrAvO
BrAvO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by BrAvO Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Yes, I did removed the 13A fuse from the MK plug that i use too but the performance just cannot compare to the Furutech plug that i have changed.
BrAvO
BrAvO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sat May 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Shanghai you don't get what i mean.... US plugs rated for 110Volts is meant up to 150V max handling voltage stated on the plugs normally i see on US plugs. I am not sure of furutech specification? Is the 150V plugs safe to handle our 240V ac??? Definitely the fires insurance does not know about this issue.

Definitely there will be no incidence in US or other countries that use US plugs or the 110V equivalent coz they are within their safe operating voltage of 110V.

Are you sure you can hear a difference in polarity? Coz every equipment has a built in transformer, no matter how you connect it there is no differnce coz ac means alternating current. The polarity switches every 1/50 second...

Anybody that find the diffence pls invite me to your place to test it out coz i really really likes to know.

As for fuses, there is a lot of fuses in your audio equipment, why not bypassed it..

Btw the LLN incoming mains also equipped with incoming fuse outside your house by now it is already corroded might effect the sound also. Why not....

Hey even the 11kv substation is also fuse........100KV.....
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Mon May 04, 2009 12:39 am

Shanghai wrote:

1. Polarity- If you used US type power cord into the Malaysian(UK system) main plug point on the wall - one MUST change the polarity. IF not there will be a major "quality" differences in sound - Sound character will change- out of phase sound , bass will be "heavy" , focus + imaging will be out. same goes for CD or etc. Power amp generally most affected by this POLARITY.

Shanghai,
Your statement needs to be corrected. If the AC polarity is inverted (ie. the Live & Neutral leads in a power cord are swapped), you are merely inverting absolute polarity, but you will not experience sound that is out of phase.
They are two different things altogether.

Some links for a better explanation:
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html
http://www.psaudio.com/ps/tips/ac-polarity-and-speaker-placement
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/polarity/polarity.html

'out-of-phase In a two-channel system, one channel being in opposite polarity to the second, most commonly due to having one speaker hooked up with the red (positive) lead to the red (positive) terminal, the other with the red lead to the black (negative terminal). As well as a "phasey" sound, the result will be a reduction in low frequencies. See "phasey." Not to be confused with an inversion of Absolute Phase or Polarity.'

In short, an out-of-phase system (with inverted speaker cable polarity on one channel) is easy to notice (indistinct imaging, significant loss of low frequencies).
However, not everyone is particularly attuned to a system with one or more power cords with an inverted AC polarity (swapped Live/Neutral leads).
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanghai Mon May 04, 2009 10:59 am

Hoyhoy sum,
I am not trained in electrical engineer but hopefully this clarify
1. The plug chassis stated in the US Plug can handle these voltage - the TOLERANCE LEVEL is there, according to my electrical professors.
2. Insurance have access to high level of human resources expertise to look at all these risks in Fire , electrical , so please check with them for a better technical explanation. In short ...safe and "ethical" (my opinion only according to my electrical professors in University Malaya.

Hifi admin
Thanks for your input . One will hear quite similar to out of phase sound. Test it yourself.
Polarity - you can change these LIVE AND NEUTRAL at the US Plug power cable or at the "wall main plug (UK) point " in which you are connecting this US Plug directly to the wall in a typical Malaysian home. Most people in Malaysia (my guess almost 80% )powered their HIFI GEAR using a UK plug cable/cord to the wall plug point and then used a juice bar, conditioner, regulators , etc ...mostly US type plug points hence ...you do not get this phenomena.

Anyway I may be misinformed by this technical boys, This conclusion was also made based on my personal experience while setting up my hifi gear.

Shanghai
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by aminmh Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi to all, i'm an ethusiast to power cords actually. Based on my experiences, yes there are significant differences more towards livelier sound, more synergy and tighter bass if the US plug is changed according to local polarity.

Also, there is improvement after changing from uk plug to US plug type.

Because i have several equipments using US plugs with performance power cord, i can see the improvement changes by changing the polarity one after another. I've also changed the wall socket with us type wall socket. If possible try to eliminate the fuse as in UK plugs as it deteriorate the sound.
although replacing the fuse is one option, but UK plugs do not accomodate big thick wires such as Audioquest NRG 3.

my humble observation.

aminmh
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Character sheet
Source(s): cambridge audio 651r cd player, pioneer bdp450
Amplification: Yamaha avr rx A3050,Cambridge audio azur 650r, PS AUDIO HCA 2, NAD 2700THX, NAD T753
Speakers: PSB image series, velodyne,boston acoustic Jamo

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Tue May 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Quite some time did not check out this thread.

Well have anybody try out those 15A plugs meant for connecting air-con. They are not fused can handle high current and safely used.

Has anybody seen any european(240V ac countries) review, i mean profesional reviewer that states after changing to US plug they find improvements. (Don't get me wrong i dont mean cables, cables i agree it acts as a tuned filters, that filters out those nasty noises from our mains supply)If US plugs that great, hey why not the whole world adopt this US plugs? Why use those nasty plugs that ruin the sound?

Is Malaysian hifiers, the only country that adopts this technicque?

It would be a treat if someone organise a session for all forumers to try out what shanghai proclaim. It will surely shortcircuit my brain coz as far as i know transformer based amplifier no matter how you connect the lve and neutral it is the same....unless of course those old tube amp of yore where the amp is connected directly to the mains supply without transformer.. Watch out those input and output those will bite you.

I
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Tue May 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Idea A revelation just came to my mind after editing my earlier statement that states that those exotic cables are actually in fact tuned filters. The cables are polarized not the equipent. In order for cables to suppress the noisy mains to the equipment, it need to be connected properly(polarized). They are designed and constructed in due manner....

Yup sorry my mistake.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Tue May 19, 2009 2:02 pm

I think that is more proper, cheaper too with MK plugs. Why you can even change the wall outlet sans the switch, if you dare...The contact area of the 15 amp plugs is alot more bigger than the US plugs. One cannot deny not enough juice to your hifi equipment. What more it is even bigger than the conceal wires's copper size..
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by lawken Tue May 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Please check AC polarity pics here. Hope can make help for everyone from below pics.

US type power cord Usukie10

US type power cord Usukpl10

Last edited by lawken on Tue May 19, 2009 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
lawken
lawken
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 1604

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue May 19, 2009 3:31 pm

hi lawken...thanks for this usefull information...a lot of benifits to all members..

Thank u very much..

cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by lawken Tue May 19, 2009 3:53 pm

You are welcome Mr Fizi. If someone got wrong AC phase (Wrong polarity), sound definately gone to weird soundstage or much echos reflection spread out from speakers. This is what experience i had before.
lawken
lawken

Number of posts : 1604

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

US type power cord Empty US Power Cord Colour Scheme

Post by hangleng Tue May 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Wish to confirm if the US Power Cord color indications are correct:

Yellow - Live
Black - Neutral
Green - Earth

Thank you.

hangleng
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue May 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Whew, very happy to stumble upon this thread. I totally forgot about this issue of mains polarity for our equipment. Will have to do some modifying this weekend.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hangleng Tue May 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Wish to confirm if the US Power Cord color indications are correct:

Yellow - Live
Black - Neutral
Green - Earth

Thank you.

hangleng
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by BrAvO Thu May 21, 2009 9:23 am

No matter what, you still have to check all of the output sockets for it's polarity; from wall plug to the last IEC to your equipment by using only a test pen.

Some power distributor have reversed polarity so it's better to check and get the best performance out from the power.

From the useful pictures above, now we can easily have the correct polarity.
BrAvO
BrAvO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tin Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:52 pm

no doubt ,if you are assemblying a system;one of the most fundamental things to do is to ensure you are running your equipment with the right polarity.

trust no electri cians on this,do it yourself and you might end uyp saving thousands of dollars..

as for uk plugs,ive left them long ago.........just too many compromises.

actualy schuko plugs are the most superior follow by us type.

tin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:45 am

[I feel like pulling my hair off. After I typed so much and I have a lost connection. When I press reverse, all typed info is gone.]

Anyway it seems there is a lot of hype and theories about the polarity. First thing first, Safety must not be comprised. Always ensure correct polarity on the gear according to local rules. The piece of equipment may end up at some other place and might cause mishaps. If u have power conditioner, make sure the polarity is correct, or your earth potential will be raised.

All transformer are not created in symmetrical. It is not easy to measure the impedance for either direction. Textbook will you to connect the polarity according to its impedance reading.

Some discerning folks will say connect the RCA according to its 'arrow' because that is the way wire being drawn. For some will argue it is again 'different impedance, RCL'. A lot of debate has been thrown on these typical subject and one must follow the ears and go against the science. With regards to the cncern about fuse being at 11kV, 33kV or so up to the generators, or the Gucci wall plugs, do we need to. My pick is no. But it is important to understand the gears and the environment it is being used for the best performance . Do u like dead silence sound or prefer some noise. Why LP are still alive and kicking. it is you, with your ears determine the system.

[This time I copy first b4 lost connection again]

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:50 am

Chua55,

I did not get you about "All transformer are not created in symmetrical. It is not easy to measure the impedance for either direction. Textbook will you to connect the polarity according to its impedance reading. " What it got to do about the mains? Care to elaborate?

I do agree with you that safety must not be compromised.

As for cables that has arrows, you must watch the direction coz if you see this type of cables you will not know which end of rca plugs is terminated to ground normally to its outer braided shield. For info one cannot ground at multiple point. The arrows will tell you to ground at the amplifier point and not at the source..

I do prefer a dead silence background when listening music, you wouldn't want to hear static noises in your hifi set will you?

LP are still kicking alive is because it has a genuine analogue sound and evergreen songs to be heard. Not because it is scratchy or alot of surface noise. Most record listener will avoid bad records that are scratchy, not only sound bad but it will wear out your expansive stylus faster. Most serious lp listener that i encounter/listen does have a quite background noise. If you think Lp is all about having noises, i think you should reevaluate your system and collection.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:52 am

that's why we are discussing alot of hype here, including active shielding of RCA interconnect with batteries, reverse polarity, tuning fuse, tuning feet, the list go on. read here.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/16/163183.html

Individual taste is different. Not all like the way you think they should be.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Chua55, you out of topic and please do not connect us with other forums. We are not busy body to campur tangan with other forums discussion. They are talking about audio signals and we are talking about mains supply. two different issue.

It is true everyone has its own taste. i respect everyone taste.

Talking back about scratchy issue, most newbie in hifi after hearing much talk about vinyl more superior than cd, venture into this area. If they started at the wrong foot they have bad impression of vinyl. Most of them buy secondhand lp that is heavily worn and scratchy, old second hand record player that is out of alignment, bad motor speed, loose arm, lousy cartridge and worn stylus. They will resell out their gear in a short period of time. Most of them have the impression that it is scratchy. Lp is scratchy..No lah!

If starting a budget setup, buy a Rega P1 for start, buy new records or get lps that is properly cared by owner. Not to forget two brush, one for your stylus and one for your record.Get a feel of it first..then when you know how to evaluate records, venture into seond hand stores...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:59 pm

I did not get you about "All transformer are not created in symmetrical. It is not easy to measure the impedance for either direction

you out of topic and please do not connect us with other forums. We are not busy body to campur tangan with other forums discussion.

In the first you should NOT ask me about this. Why u 'ask' and say out of topic.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:49 pm

hi all gengs...stay coolllll bro even now is very hot already Evil or Very Mad ..

be happy cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 am

Chua, my question to you is revelant to this topic, the transformer we mentioned is power transformer and not audio signal transformer btw there are methods or percision equipments to measure impedance of transformer and phasing/ polarity of transformer. For power transformer impedance is not as critical as audio transformer because audio tranformer is required to handle a wide range of frequency from 20hz to 20khz maybe even higher up to 40 or 50khz required nowadys. Where else power transformer is required to handle 50hz and it is easily measurable at this frequency. Polarity wise use of signal generator and a oscilloscpe will do.

Hi Fizi, thanks for cooling the situation here! Klang valley not like cameron is hot and hazy...Hows things in cameron, cooling?
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm

hoy..during noon very hot too..cooling during nite time..if i close the window during nite time i sweating too

p/s-cameron not like before
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:12 pm

fizi- you from cameron or cameroon? Cannot be hot. If yor place hot we be toasting by now...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:25 am

hoyhoysum wrote:fizi- you from cameron or cameroon? Cannot be hot. If yor place hot we be toasting by now...

hoy..u got a point there hehehehe Laughing but remember im stay at the top and near the SUN..hahahahhaha cheers cheers

cheers to all..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down