Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Integrated or pre-power?

4 posters

Go down

Integrated or pre-power? Empty Integrated or pre-power?

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 am

Folks,

I've been a staunch proponent of the integrated amplifier to this date as it's simpler, uses less cabling & power plug points, and mostly cheaper. However a couple new pre/power amps are really starting to sway me. These include the new Exposure 3010S2 pre-amp/monoblocks, the Primare Pre30 and new A33.2 and the upcoming Odyssey Audio (Khartago, Stratos) range to be introduced in Bolehland. How would these compare with a super integrated like the Pass INT-150 for example?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Integrated or pre-power? Empty Re: Integrated or pre-power?

Post by joydivision Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 am

I have no experience with the pre/power combos that you've listed but I've listened to a Pass INT-150 driving a ProAC Response D15. I wouldn't say the sound is bad but it's just weird. To me Pass' sound is warm for a solid state amp and some would even say it lacks of slam and attack. The details are there but somehow I feel that the soundstage is more diffused from the other amps I've listened before. I woudn't say it's not focused but rather diffused. That's the weird experience I have had with Pass INT-150. I think if partnered well, this amp can be very musical too. Pass also released INT-30A, a 30W pure class A, so you might want to consider that also. Good luck!
joydivision
joydivision
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi LL,
Im not sure they are comparable that way ie. Integrated v PP.

Probably better compared when paired with a certain speaker and you can hear the difference each set up makes. Lets say you own a pair of sonus faber concertinos. You then match it with :
1. Primare i30 IA
2. Primare PP set up
3. Exposures MB PP set up.
and decide that the Primare IA set up is most to your liking. 5 years later you go on to buy a pair of SF Cremonas and realise the IA does not do it for you anymore! What you may then realise is that the PP set up would have offered you the chance to change the PreAmp which would give you a better overall sound.

The advantage of PP is that you can always play around with the pre and power units to suit the speakers, and your ears.

Just my 55 cents

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm

dheensay wrote:Hi LL,
Im not sure they are comparable that way ie. Integrated v PP.

Probably better compared when paired with a certain speaker and you can hear the difference each set up makes. Lets say you own a pair of sonus faber concertinos. You then match it with :
1. Primare i30 IA
2. Primare PP set up
3. Exposures MB PP set up.
and decide that the Primare IA set up is most to your liking. 5 years later you go on to buy a pair of SF Cremonas and realise the IA does not do it for you anymore! What you may then realise is that the PP set up would have offered you the chance to change the PreAmp which would give you a better overall sound.

The advantage of PP is that you can always play around with the pre and power units to suit the speakers, and your ears.

Just my 55 cents

Hi Dheensay,

Thanks for your 55 cents which I'm sure is worth much more Integrated or pre-power? Icon_surprised

My current system is as follows:
Source: Rega Saturn sitting on Finite Elemente ceraballs
Amp: Primare I30 integrated
Speakers: Audio Physic Scorpio
Cables: Siltech ST-18IQ interconnects, Siltech SPX-20 power cable (RA 3-pin plug and Furutech FI-28(R) IEC) for CDP and Clearaudio Diamond Powerline power cable for amp with similar connectors. Clearaudio Clearline speaker cables with Clearaudio Genius connectors.

Judging by my amp being a Primare the next logical step would be the Pre30 and A33.2 combo but I kinda still like integrated amps Integrated or pre-power? Icon_razz

Last edited by llsaw on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:16 pm

joydivision wrote:I have no experience with the pre/power combos that you've listed but I've listened to a Pass INT-150 driving a ProAC Response D15. I wouldn't say the sound is bad but it's just weird. To me Pass' sound is warm for a solid state amp and some would even say it lacks of slam and attack. The details are there but somehow I feel that the soundstage is more diffused from the other amps I've listened before. I woudn't say it's not focused but rather diffused. That's the weird experience I have had with Pass INT-150. I think if partnered well, this amp can be very musical too. Pass also released INT-30A, a 30W pure class A, so you might want to consider that also. Good luck!

Thanks for your comments. A diffused soundstage could be more of a problem with speaker , speaker placement or toe-in. Anyway have auditioned the D15 previously and the sound is not my cup of tea. Sounded a tad too refine polite and more suitable for classical music vs rock. Was planning to get its successor the Response D18 till I heard the Audio Physic Scorpio and the rest as they say is history...

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 pm

I see that you are steadily progressing in upgrading. hahahahaha.. Razz
But then, it will be great to get what you wish to get..

I stopped my upgrading activities already. Enough.. and I have got what I wanted. Very Happy

Oh ya... me will try go pre power if ada cash.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 am

car o scope wrote:I see that you are steadily progressing in upgrading. hahahahaha.. Integrated or pre-power? Icon_razz
But then, it will be great to get what you wish to get..

I stopped my upgrading activities already. Enough.. and I have got what I wanted. Integrated or pre-power? Icon_biggrin

Not that I'm planning to upgrade so soon but it never hurts to know what's in the market Integrated or pre-power? Icon_razz

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 pm

llsaw wrote:

Not that I'm planning to upgrade so soon but it never hurts to know what's in the market Integrated or pre-power? Icon_razz[/quote]

Yes yes.. I agree..
And the more we find out, the easier we get poisoned (though not applicable all the time and to everyone).
It is also no harm to find out those expensive brands and how they sound like.
See and listen to find out what's so special about them. Wink
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down