Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music

+6
asy166168
finger
arremie
adrian4454
CT-Boy
arabifaizal
10 posters

Go down

Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music Empty Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music

Post by arabifaizal Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Dear hifi brothers,

When there is nothing playing, there is a light buzzing sound from my speakers if I bring my ears really close to the drivers. What could possibly be causing that noise? I asked a dealer and he says it is caused by the AC and suggested a "Voltage Stabilizer" which I'm going to pick up from his shop tomorrow for auditioning. IN the meantime, I'd like to know if anyone else has gone through the same problem and what is the solution?

Thank you and regards.

Last edited by arabifaizal on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Greetings! Just wanna be polite... :P)

arabifaizal

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music Empty Re: Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music

Post by CT-Boy Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Does the buzzing increases with the volume?
Both channels or single side only?
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music Empty Re: Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music

Post by arabifaizal Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 pm

No sir it does not increase when I turn the volume all the way up (although there is the normal "shhhh" sound when it's all the way up). The buzzing is present on both speakers even when the volume is all the way down regardless of which input is selected or not selected at all. I've tried unplugging everything from the amp except the speaker cable (and the power cable of course), and the symptom still persists. I've tried unplugging every other electrical equipment in the house (Astro decoder, fridge, air cond, lights, table lamp with dimmer and microwave) and it is still there.
P.S. It is driving me insane even though it is not audible from my listening seat.

Last edited by arabifaizal on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo...)

arabifaizal

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Try not to stack your equipment close together, like pre amp not to be on top direct of a power amp. Or your CD player or whatever player, not to be on top of the amp as well.

Also try to move your amp further away from the power outlet.

Hope this help. Thanks.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm

My tube amp also has this buzzing thing (with everything else switched off) but like you said need to put your ears very close to hear it so it didn't bother me or affect the sound in any way. I have eliminate all ground loop so I guess the buzzing must came from within the amp. Maybe it's the crappy power supply.

My avr is dead quiet though even using same outlet as the tube amp.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Source(s): Oppo
Amplification: Parasound
Speakers: Klipsch

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:53 pm

I think its your amp that is the source of the problem, crappy power supply section perhaps. Don't think the voltage stabilizer/regulator would helps..
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Yup voltage stabilizer wont help. Already tried that.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arabifaizal Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Thank you guys for your responses. Looks like I'll just have to live with it then Sad

Anyway, the amp is Synthesis Magnum 100 Hybrid Integrated. Absolutely love the way it sounds (well, except for that little kink) and I just bought it yesterday. Small price to pay for that warm tubey sound I guess.

arabifaizal

Back to top Go down

Post by finger Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 pm

I had the same problem last time too as well, and in my case it was coming from my old CRT TV.
Is your newly added amp placed anywhere near to your speakers?

You could try it out this way.
1. detach your speaker cables and turn on your amp. see if the buzz still persist.
2. if yes, you might want to move your amp to a distance where the buzz disappears.
3. if it stop buzzing when your speaker cables are not connected. then I guess you'll just have to live with it.

Previously I had my center speaker placed under my CRT on a rack. even before i plug anything the speaker started to buzz when I turned on the TV.

I suspect that the speakers are picking up the vibration on the poor transformer winding.

Try it out and hope it helps.
Cheers.

finger
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:53 pm

I think sound wise it is perfectly okay, but in your mind you know there's something 'wrong' with it that hinder your full satisfaction, somewhat feeling 'inadequate'.. Light Buzzing Sound From Speaker When Not Playing Music Icon_razz

Who knows, it might cure itself? (wishful thinking/penyedap hati) Hehe.
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by asy166168 Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Try capping those unused RCA connection at the back of your CDP and amp might help.

asy166168

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 pm

sounds like transformer hum.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by happett Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Yes, I know this amp. The Synthesis Magnum 100 hybrid integrated amp. Had some time with it for a while and yes there is a slight buzzing whenever I touch the volume knob to increase vol. But once you take your fingers off the knob, the buzz/ hissing sound disappears.

happett

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 pm

I faced this situation years ago. Sent amp back to factory...came back same problem persisted. Cant hear from my listening position.have to strain my ears very close to tweeters before i can hear buzz. Good news is that it doesnt affect performance and no side effect to amp and speakers.When i sold amp later, told new buyer problem, he said he faced same problem with his previous amp as well. Told me tube amps are more sensitive than ss. No worry bro.....just forget about it and enjoy the music.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 425
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Character sheet
Source(s): MF AMSCD
Amplification: Audia Flight
Speakers: Wilson Benesch

Back to top Go down

Post by boxer Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm

try reverse the ac polarity of yr amp by using a cheater plug at the wall outlet.....try it then see it cures yr problem or not...

boxer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 628
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:11 pm

That might just do the trick!
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm

What's a cheater plug?
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:59 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arabifaizal Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:37 am

I can't thank all of you guys enough... THIS is what I call brotherhood... Thank you again...

By the way CT-Boy, can I get a cheater plug in an electrical shop or a hifi shop?

Another thing; anyone using the Russ Andrews Mini Purifier or the IsoTek Isoplug? Does it really make a difference?

arabifaizal

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:49 am

arabifaizal,
what kind of plug is your amp using now?
Two pins? Two flat US plug? Or the norm 3 pin?
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arabifaizal Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:00 am

I'm using the stock cable that the amp came with, 2 round pins which I believe is called the schuko plug.

arabifaizal

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:05 am

CT-Boy wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug
Thanks. Isn't that kinda removing the ground? I mean just remove ground connection from plug should have same effect?
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:45 am

Ada sikit susah to reverse this one..
You can use this to reverse the polarity but make sure you have alternate means to connect the amp body to the electrical socket EARTH point. Safety may be compromised here so.. there's a risk.
At this point of time (almost 2 am) this is all I can think off without modifying anything.
Maybe someone have a better solution to do this(reversing the 'polarity')
May or may not solved your problem though... Razz

http://travel220v.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=49

arabifaizal wrote:I'm using the stock cable that the amp came with, 2 round pins which I believe is called the schuko plug.
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down