Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Home Theater set up... Processor & Multichannel power Amp or AV Amp ?

+6
hoyhoysum
robinlcc
- br@d -
mustafa
fizi
peter32
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Home Theater set up... Processor & Multichannel power Amp or AV Amp ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Theater set up... Processor & Multichannel power Amp or AV Amp ?

Post by leofric32 Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I can't say I am totally not satisfied with the current performance but I felt that I could further do something to improve it or giving me different sound characteristic. It is hard for me to elaborate in details what I like but I think I would prefer warm type of sound quality with good sound stage.

Actually, I have another setup of Hi-Fi running Bewitch (EL34), Marantz CD63 and LothX ION 3 Speaker. I like the sound quality especially the vocal but the speaker definitelty lack of dynamic since it is a full-range type.

Currently I am playing different kind of music between the two setup. That's one of the reason I planned to upgrade my current AV Speaker and also to determine my upgrade path for the onkyo.

If I can get better sound out from the onkyo setup, i could do without the other set. I am still exploring my option.

Well my TDL was more than 10 years old and time to retire her for a new love.

leofric32
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Home Theater set up... Processor & Multichannel power Amp or AV Amp ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Theater set up... Processor & Multichannel power Amp or AV Amp ?

Post by peter32 Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Leo, I have a feeling that you may want to separate the function of these two systems since you already have the two.

Onkyo is famous for punchy movie reproduction if coupled with good speakers. I have auditioned Onkyo before for other model, and sad to say even with demo speakers, the music reproduction was never their strong point. So perhaps your onkyo 875 should be made focus on movie alone.

LothX ION 3 seems catered for vocal, valve amp representation, but please correct me if I am wrong. With full range speaker driver in horn types, it may not give you the best of the low range sound reproduction needed for movies (unless the speaker cabinet was well made for low frequency range).

You could well be falling into a lucky group of elites around here that has two systems for both movie or musics.

peter32
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by leofric32 Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:37 pm

hi peter, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I did some other reading as well, that i might not achieve what i want for music with my onkyo even if i add-on a power-amp. I might as well keep 2 systems and upgrade those individual components.

You are absolutely right with the LothX. It will not be for the AV config. I use the LothX with my tube amp.

Still, I am planning to change my current TDL speaker. Any recommendation for AV front speaker?

leofric32
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by peter32 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm

I am not in any position to recommend anything at all since my exposure to AV speakers are pretty limited. Perhaps other readers can give valuable advice. I certainly can learn from all as well.

peter32
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:46 pm

hi leo, how much does the lothX 3 cost for a pair?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by leofric32 Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:10 am

the LothX cost about RM 2,700.

leofric32
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:13 pm

is it good? do u ever audition differents makes of fullrange speakers like tekton?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by leofric32 Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am

i did not really audition many others full-range speakers. Actually I do not have any intention to buy one, or even consider a full-range type. I was doing window shopping at Amcorp and I went in to this shop, and they are playing LothX at that time.

I was captured by it and decided to go ahead without even hunting around as I quite like it.

leofric32
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 pm

thought u went order straight from US Wink
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2