Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Metal Work For Tube Amp Chassis

4 posters

Go down

Metal Work For Tube Amp Chassis Empty Metal Work For Tube Amp Chassis

Post by mthoi Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Can anyone recommed a good local metal work shop that can custom a chassis for my tube amp build?

Pls PM. Tx

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Metal Work For Tube Amp Chassis Empty Re: Metal Work For Tube Amp Chassis

Post by JayJay Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:28 am

Dear Members of HiFi4Sale,

Can someone share some light on where to get this metal casing/chassis, preferably Aluminum, for tube/non-tube amplifier.

Thank you.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix (1942 - 1970)
"Sleep is an excellent way of listening to an opera." - James Stephens (1882-1950)
JayJay
JayJay
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm

I know steel chassis for tube amp can be fabricated here, with autocad drawing and laser cut holes as per computer design. You've to search around KL Sungei Besi area for a fabricator there. Don't ask me exactly who and where or if they'd do one off's. Someone in the industry have been doing these for years but with quantity. Thats all the info I have.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Yes they can do alright but if they are kind enough they will ask you how many hundreds you wanna do? They did not ask by thousand? In China i know they will ask by containers by 100Ks.....

If anybody knows anybody that do 1 or 2s pls let me know....
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:00 pm

I found a metalwork shop next to a car spray-painter at Sungei Way (near to the MBenz showroom fronting Federal Highway).

I have a pair of customised chassis using 1.5mm stainless steel for RM 400 - 17"x11"x4". Transformer box-covers can also be customised. Spray painting is going to set me back RM 200; RM 400 for epoxy base coat, smoothing and metallic color. It cost less if you use mild steel - but it rusts.

The only drawback is that you need to have all the holes for the connectors figured-out yourself - preferably with samples to allow them to fit. Drilling biger holes for tube sockets is more of a challenge. Otherwise, it was fun for the DIY experience.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:18 pm

That is great do you have the phone number or shop name? Come to think of it i need to send my car for painting.

Btw transformer boxes better use aluminium to reduce eddy effect. (Not to offend eddy in person just coincidence)
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Min Kee Tinsmith, 45, SS9A/14, Sungei Way New Willage. Tel 03-78768241, 012-366 7752.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 pm

There's nothing wrong in using mild steel, especially thick steel for a tube amp chassis. I think tis most suitable material. Yes, it'll rust when freshly fabricated, but one can prepare surface by removing all rust, rough edges, whatever minor defects and coat it with oil just prior to spray painting. Surely the spraypainter must remove all trace of oil protection with solvent and then proceed to spray paint to your requirement. I did all that long ago and its lasted without one bit defect todate. Paint and finish like how a new car panel is treated and all's well.
For me, I'll insist on a computer generated template, all holes are laser cut for most precision and professional finish to the highest standard. I detest self drilling of any holes, its tedious, unless one is handy and own a drill press with the right drill bits and skill. My personal view.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down