Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Lampizator DAC by Lukasz Fikus

+31
Razz
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
joeling
alfred
Nil
soonthas
WongKN
VS126
Wisnon
flyfly
WongKK
Wikin
sswong3374
gabiernacki
lga775
boxer
wsyam
CT-Boy
albleong
- br@d -
cmboy
kwwong
noodle88
khwong7744
hasnul
tycham
dixchen
arremie
azri
wataru
35 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lampizator DAC by Lukasz Fikus  - Page 3 Empty Re: Lampizator DAC by Lukasz Fikus

Post by Wisnon Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Dixchen,

The latest build has better components and that is why his prices have gone up. More than just components though, operating points have been further refined and the results are very compelling.

Level 4 tubes are more now exotic and harder to get. Caps have been upgraded due to further testing and comparisons to see what is better. It is not so much about costs as it seems to be about the characteristics of certain caps for certain jobs. His digital PCB caps apparently are used exclusively by him and he would not say what he used nor how he discovered them.

Overall though, he tries to get the best without automatically choosing the most expensive or reputed components, or his price points would have to be a lot higher and his value proposition would decrease. I am sure you realize that his target market is NOT DIY, whose afficionados are capable of building anything potentially. He targets commercial manufacturers who provide similar offerings with often inferior performance for many multiples of his prices.

Last edited by Wisnon on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-24

Back to top Go down

Lampizator DAC by Lukasz Fikus  - Page 3 Empty Re: Lampizator DAC by Lukasz Fikus

Post by dixchen Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:41 pm

I noticed that you're located in the Europe.. you're not by any way affiliated with him are you?

Anyway, the fact that he can do so much with ' standard ' type components is already a very bold statement that many of his followers like myself believe that his DAC is by far best sounding in many I have heard commercially irregardless of what many seemed to have said against it.

I know his latest DAC incarnations are already better , for ex take a look at his new transport, I take this guy as my ' sifu ' and have learnt so much from his work in the last 2 years I have followed his site.

Till date I have not failed to update myself at his site , just to continue to watch further developments from him..

All my kudos and respect for this guy...

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi Dixchen,

Not affiliated at all, but I do talk to him every now and again (I am a customer and enjoy a good relationship with him). I am in Switzerland...quite far away from him and we have never met in person. A Thai pal and I did set up an owner's forum (currently experiencing server problems).

I did ask himabout your prototype Lamp DAC a couple months back and he said that he made huge improvements since then. I see though you also had a Level 4...how long ago was that? The current L4 dacs have some more exotic components.

PM me if you want to discuss about components.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Here is a review from someone trading up from a L3 to an L4:

Well, the votes are in: The Level 4 Lampizator, stone cold out of the box, provides the best sound I've ever had from my current system. The difference between the Level 3.x and the optimized final Level 4 is not subtle. It makes music sound the way it is supposed to sound.

The emotion of the music comes through as the performers intended (for example, listening to cut 14 on the Super Disc was an absolute revelation).

Regarding the L4, there are smiles galore at chez Moi. ;-)
Best...

======================================
Suffice it to say the L4 is absolutely stunning in every aspect of music production - cold, out of the box. We all know it is going to get better, which is truly hard to believe. Perhaps my AvantGarde Duo's, which were in the system last night, are far more capable than I previously thought! With the L4, I sat completely immersed and transfixed by the sound - the HUGE speakers totally disappeared and the stage was enormous! Virtually everything is "just right." It is hard describe otherwise because
the typical audiophile terms no longer apply. I think the decision to go with Lukasz's Transport and Preamp has been made.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:15 am

Wisnon wrote:Regarding the L4, there are smiles galore at chez Moi. ;-)
Best...

One owner of the dCS Scarlatti wrote:

"...Now, no one could smile at all listening to this beauty, as all of them were busy picking up their jaws from the floor Dans ma salle d'écoute...."

So, have anyone compare the dCS with the lampazitor DAC? He is always boasting that his will beat the dCS!
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:20 pm

For clarity, lets put the prices on the table.
The dCS Scarlatti basic DAC costs 12,000 pounds. The optional master clock is another 5,000.

The Level 4 Lampizator Dac costs 4,000 euros.
The relative costs must be declared up front, so the observers have a basis for judging relative value.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if the L4 defeats the Scarlatti in a head to head, as one US customer recently returned his $25k EMM XDS-1 after demoing the L4!

The Level 4 is SERIOUS heat.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:43 pm

What I really want to know is have you or anyone compare a Scarlatti with a L4 side by side and prove beyond reasonable doubt that the L4 or any of Lampar DAC is the better one as claimed?

Otherwise, you are just misleading the forum.

tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Misleading???

I shared feedback that was provided to me and providing factual pricing info. This thread is about the Lampizator Dac, so why do you come here talking about the dCS DAC and then turn around to accuse me of misleading people. That is a ludicrous statement to make.

I have not compared the dCS DAC, but that is irrelevant to this thread. If you like your expensive dCS DAC, I have no problems with that. I am sure it is more than decent.

Last edited by Wisnon on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:04 pm

There is no one BEST DAC in the World.

How can anyone even say it without having listen or compare to other DACs before?

I have personally AB together with the owner of the LAMP DAC (I do not know which varient) with few other buddies here in KL against a solid state DAC which costs arount RM5K and I can tell you, there is no clear cut winner.
Lamp DAC got a fat mid and hugh bass but not tight and rolled off highs.
Fantastic if you are listening to small speakers or single driver but show its flaws when played with big systems.

Personally, I prefer the other RM5K plus DAC and few other buddy concur with me too.
I think this particular DAC is one of the 10 prototypes. Maybe his latest is much better, I have not heard of it yet. I sincerely doubt it is the best in the world, nothing is.
What might be good to yr system might not be to another. Just like some claim the best speaker in the world is......

VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwwong Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Here is something from the lampizator facebook wall:

"Lampizator By-Fikus
Wow, my Lampizator DAC just won the contest for the best DAC at the Boston Audiophile Society and it beat the Zanden DAC, and in Europe it beat the Audio Note 4 Signature as well as Sonic Fronteers DAC-3. So far the Lampizator DAC is un-beaten regardless of the competitors, ..."

He is sending his DAC to competition and I have to give credit to him. As a HiFi enthusiasm he really put a lot of hardwork and research in this hobby and best of all he share it, just look at his web site, his dedication earn my respect.

Hifi is very personal, you like it you buy and keep it, it is your money and time, no one can force you to if you don't like it, unless you don't know what you want. There are so many DACs brand out there, if you think that particular brand is not honest and bullshit too much, don't buy, it is that simple.

kwwong
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Agreed kwwong.

I am not aware of anyone on this thread claiming its the "best", whatever that means. People give their feedback, or that of others.

To expect that the prototype version will be the same as the the latest commercial version is a bit naive. I have a level 2 from October last year and am sure the new ones are better, and the higher levels are also better. Such is life.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:58 pm

I can assure you what he heard was the first prototype version I had, sold to a fellow friend. But was sure at then it could walk over many commercial pricey DAC's out there.

Yes for sure Lamp's later versions are even better.. to date I haven't heard a SS DAC that could better Lamp's design.. yes maybe here and there in some areas but I could and many DIY'ers who are technically capable will know for the components used by him are not the very ' best ' but then there are so many ways to prepare a same dish but difference tastes on one selection is hard to cater for.

End of the day it will be another SS vs valve debate, modern op amp output vs valve output... never ending isn't it

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:26 pm

New owner's forum for Lampizator is

http://lampizator.freeforums.org/index.php

or www.lampizatorforum.com

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Blind test involving 6 DAC's. Winner: Lampizator.

http://www.stereomojo.com/Stereomojo%20Six%20DAC%20Shootout.htm/StereomojoSixDACShootout.htm
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-11-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL-99V
Amplification: Cary SLP-05, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S
Speakers: Acapella High Violon

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I don't understand the logic of the shootout. From what I can see from the article, the Lampizator costs several times more than the next most expensive DAC being a quarter the price. Most of them are around the USD1k price range with one being USD750 only. So logically it should win since it seems to be a well designed, well executed DAC. I would be interested to see it go head to head againsts competitors from Zodiac, Bryston, etc. To see how it holds up against those. Was such a shootout ever done ? If there is one, please do share with us.

US$7200 is around RM22k based on straight forward conversion (1 USD - 3 RM) but I think it should be cheaper than that for us to buy as it is an european product.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 pm

WongKN wrote:I don't understand the logic of the shootout. From what I can see from the article, the Lampizator costs several times more than the next most expensive DAC being a quarter the price. Most of them are around the USD1k price range with one being USD750 only. So logically it should win since it seems to be a well designed, well executed DAC. I would be interested to see it go head to head againsts competitors from Zodiac, Bryston, etc. To see how it holds up against those. Was such a shootout ever done ? If there is one, please do share with us.

US$7200 is around RM22k based on straight forward conversion (1 USD - 3 RM) but I think it should be cheaper than that for us to buy as it is an european product.

Probably would be around the price of the Bryston combo of RM 16700 for the Level 4 DAC. I had a chance to listen to the Eastern Electric briefly. It is a great DAC at SGD900.

Likewise, I don't see any logic for this shootout. Perhaps, other brands in the same price range are reluctant to participate.

Would provide a more informed choice for consumers if comparison can be made with Chord Electrionic QBD76, Weiss DAC 202, Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Such unfair blind testing. How can it even be conducted?

Does it mean the Lamp can only be compared to those on the USD1K brackets?

Also look at the panels, most are over 65 years old and probably loosing part of their hearing already.

Loads of BS!
VS126
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 am

Here is a better more relevant HIGHER END comparison unbiased home shootout amongst some very top DAC's...

http://www.stereopal.com/HomeVisit/ACT-DAC.htm

single ended tube output DAC still rulezzzz... Twisted Evil

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 am

This one is more informal and doesn't pretend to be a review. It is also a 'sighted' test as in the listeners knows which DAC is which DAC. But I agree it is a lot more logical. But to clarify, this doesn't mean that the original review link posted by wongkk is irrelevant. For me that review eventhough pitting DACs much lower priced against the Lampizator do prove that better parts, better implementations, etc, do make a difference. And of course also proves the saying "quality comes at a price". Very Happy Plus "the law of diminishing returns".

The 2nd link to me is rather more inconclusive but there do seem to be a concensus that Consecant is the best unit overall.

A DAC can benefit from the warmth of tubes and I would think that SET should give very good results. I used to have a California Audio Labs tubed DAC and after a tube change, it sounded very nice (I gave it up later when I committed fully to analog).
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:47 am

This is a better comparasion.

The Lamp is consistent to what I heard before....

I think the wavelength is interesting.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by soonthas Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:48 am

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/ear_acute.htm

soonthas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 208

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am

WongKN wrote:I don't understand the logic of the shootout. From what I can see from the article, the Lampizator costs several times more than the next most expensive DAC being a quarter the price. Most of them are around the USD1k price range with one being USD750 only. So logically it should win since it seems to be a well designed, well executed DAC. I would be interested to see it go head to head againsts competitors from Zodiac, Bryston, etc. To see how it holds up against those. Was such a shootout ever done ? If there is one, please do share with us.

The wrong price was originally printed and has been corrected. The Level 4 is under US$5K.

The Toronto audiophile review was with an older Level 3. Today's level 4 is even better than what was used in the StereoMojo shootout.

Instead of looking just at the shootout result, look at the end what the EDITOR had to say! Also, look out for the full review by Mike Peshkin at the same site in the near future. He spent a month with it.

Finally, the logic of the shootout was simple...they used only DACs they already reviewed or are about to review.

I wonder how many of the expensive DACs mentioned here would have won the shootout? Kudos to Lukasz for having the balls to put it all on the line and participating...shows faith in his creation.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 am

If the wrong price was printed, perhaps the manufacturer should contact stereomojo to have it corrected. Not many people will know the intricate details and like me, most people here are probably really thinking the Lampizator Level-4 is USD7.2k. I myself was more focussed on what the listening panels have to say, not the editor.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Delete

Last edited by Wisnon on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Duplicate)

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 pm

WongKN wrote:If the wrong price was printed, perhaps the manufacturer should contact stereomojo to have it corrected. Not many people will know the intricate details and like me, most people here are probably really thinking the Lampizator Level-4 is USD7.2k. I myself was more focussed on what the listening panels have to say, not the editor.

As I said earlier, it HAS been corrected! Go look at the article again.

The editor and Mike Peshkin are the only ones doing long term listening and are the ones making the pro review. The panel are volunteer audiophiles who are doing the shorter term blind shootout evaluation.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:57 pm

So, 3,300 Euros, that is around RM14.2k before factoring in shipping and taxes. Eventually, it looks like similar price to Bryston. I remember alternatives like Weiss and the Zodiac Antelope was similar price, am I correct ? Any forumers can confirm/correct this ?

If I am to go for a 'hi-res' DAC, I would prefer one that can accept the SACD DSD format (which uses the HDMI as the transport standard). There are a lot of re-releases on SACD, especially available from Acoustic Sounds.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:36 pm

WongKN wrote:So, 3,300 Euros, that is around RM14.2k before factoring in shipping and taxes. Eventually, it looks like similar price to Bryston. I remember alternatives like Weiss and the Zodiac Antelope was similar price, am I correct ? Any forumers can confirm/correct this ?

€3500 plus €105 for shipping. Similarly priced would be the Zodiac Gold(SGD6000) with the Voltikus Linear Power Supply. Weiss DAC 202 would be USD6k+. For the Bryston combo(SGD6400)
you would get a digital transport(SGD3200) and a dac(SGD3200) - an excellent bargain.

WongKN wrote:
If I am to go for a 'hi-res' DAC, I would prefer one that can accept the SACD DSD format (which uses the HDMI as the transport standard). There are a lot of re-releases on SACD, especially available from Acoustic Sounds.

I think the BAD Alpha DAC(USD5K+) can accept DSD format. HDMI got DRM issue-not a good idea to use this form of connectivity.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

BAD Alpha eh ? That's interesting. So far the only DAC I know which supports DSD is the DCS which is well known for its sound quality AND its price.....
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:04 pm

WongKN wrote:BAD Alpha eh ? That's interesting. So far the only DAC I know which supports DSD is the DCS which is well known for its sound quality AND its price.....

I might be wrong on the BAD Alpha...

My wife promise to buy me a Scarlatti if I stop smoking, but for now I am happy with an ASUS Xonar ST sound card on a LGA 478 Mobo and Celeron D processor.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 pm

The sites I checked talking about the BAD doesn't seem to indicate it supports DSD. A Scarlatti for the effort to stop smoking eh ? What happens if you start back again after you get the thing ? Knowing women, she will probably throw it out the window. You must let me know if that happens so I can stand outside the window.... Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:01 pm

WongKN wrote:The sites I checked talking about the BAD doesn't seem to indicate it supports DSD. A Scarlatti for the effort to stop smoking eh ? What happens if you start back again after you get the thing ? Knowing women, she will probably throw it out the window. You must let me know if that happens so I can stand outside the window.... Very Happy

It's HDCD...old already and suffering from dementia. But the BADA encrypted input allows future support of HDMI and other DRM formats.

I am staying on the 9th floor...think you would be able to catch it?
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 pm

When there is a will, there must be a way. Maybe I can borrow a safety net from one of the fire-stations.....
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:15 am

Wadia, Accuphase, Playback Designs and EMM Labs also make DAC's which can decode DSD. All of them veli mahal.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nil Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 am

WongKK wrote:Wadia, Accuphase, Playback Designs and EMM Labs also make DAC's which can decode DSD. All of them veli mahal.

No problem Dr, you can afford them all Very Happy

Nil
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:38 am

WongKN wrote:BAD Alpha eh ? That's interesting. So far the only DAC I know which supports DSD is the DCS which is well known for its sound quality AND its price.....

Whats the price on the DCS?

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 am

WongKK wrote:Wadia, Accuphase, Playback Designs and EMM Labs also make DAC's which can decode DSD. All of them veli mahal.

Is DSD superior to redbook on these new cuting edge DACs? Methinks that redbook has gotten a new lease on life, as the capabilities are more than what was originally though on that format.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:07 am

Wisnon, I have heard SACD on a top of the line DCS stack, a DCS Puccini, Wadia, and Playback Designs. I forgot to mention - MSB also makes a DSD DAC (but I haven't heard it yet). I still think that SACD is superior to RBCD.

I can tell you that anyone who has ever heard RBCD compared to SACD at my place can immediately pick the difference. Whether they like the difference is another matter! In my opinion - SACD sounds smoother, more grain free, has better dynamics, and seems to put more space around musicians. I have heard people say that they think the SACD sounds fake and less exciting than the RBCD. Both are valid comments, depending on which disc you are spinning.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks for the reply WongKK.

I have an Onkyo CD/SACD player. SACD sounds better on it than RBCD via the Wolfson based DAC in the Onkyo , however, with digital out to my L2 Lampizator, they become equal to my ears.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:40 am

Hi Wisnon, have you checked if your Onkyo has a DSD DAC? Most lower end players which are marketed as having SACD capability instead use a converter that converts DSD to PCM, and then uses the PCM DAC. A true SACD player either has seperate DSD and PCM DAC's, or converts PCM into DSD for use on a DSD DAC.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:23 pm

The DCs Puccini 'system' (transport, clock, DAC, etc) USED at 'that' shop is going for RM35 ! Shocked

From what I understand, the Lampizator does not accept DSD format so in the case of the Onkyo player outputing to Lampizator, I would suspect it would not be the original DSD stream. It is probably converted internally by the Onkyo into a format accepted by the Lampiztor. So there is some re-sampling involved. This could be the reason why the sound is the same as RBCD.

Personally, I feel that as long as there is any conversion done, sound quality will be affected. The best is of course native SACD and DSD playback.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:30 pm

WongKK wrote:Hi Wisnon, have you checked if your Onkyo has a DSD DAC? Most lower end players which are marketed as having SACD capability instead use a converter that converts DSD to PCM, and then uses the PCM DAC. A true SACD player either has seperate DSD and PCM DAC's, or converts PCM into DSD for use on a DSD DAC.

it sure does! It has the (latest Wolfson) WM8742 which has specific support for DSD and built in filters such as minimum phase apodisng and soft knee, for CD and SACD playback:

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/

Part no. Description Channels SNR/THD (dB) Output level (Vrms) Sample rate max (kHz) Data formats Control (SW/HW) Other features Analogue supply (V) Digital supply (V) Package

WM8742 Stereo DAC with DSD Support 2 126 / -100 2 192 I2S, RJ, LJ, DSP, DSD HW, 2/3-wire SW Selectable advanced digital filter responses 4.5-5.5 3-3.6 SSOP-28

I also have an Onkyo DVD/multi player that streams out DSD digital via HDMI.

I tell you that redbook via a great DAC equalizes the differenece. I have several albums in redbook AND in SACD, so i dont just rely onthe redbook layer in the SACD album.

Onkyo's feature set for the money is unbeatable. For example, in the CSV5L, there are no op-amps in the output stage...all discrete SS parts!

Last edited by Wisnon on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 pm

WongKN wrote:The DCs Puccini 'system' (transport, clock, DAC, etc) USED at 'that' shop is going for RM35 ! Shocked

From what I understand, the Lampizator does not accept DSD format so in the case of the Onkyo player outputing to Lampizator, I would suspect it would not be the original DSD stream. It is probably converted internally by the Onkyo into a format accepted by the Lampiztor. So there is some re-sampling involved. This could be the reason why the sound is the same as RBCD.

Personally, I feel that as long as there is any conversion done, sound quality will be affected. The best is of course native SACD and DSD playback.

No conversion is being done. The Onkyo CSV5L is able to play either RBCD or SACD natively or stream out either in PCM digital. I have albums duplicated in both formats and can test the outputs in native form or streamed out in digital. I also have a multiplayer that can play SACD with a separate DSD chip as well! I dont have a multi-chan S. Sound receiver though, that would accept HDMI DSD and decode as such, so I have not done that.

Using a standard RBCD digitalk out to the Lamp sounds just as good as the identical SACD played analog out to the amp...I tried with Nora Jones, Dire straits, Steely Dan, etc

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Not surprised at all, SACD's as much as offers ultimate in resolution did not sound better, when I had a chance earlier to listen to a stage 7 VSE modified Sony SCD 1, yes it had THE resolution but in terms of dynamics and spatiality and ' analogue ' feel, I did not find it better than a properly lampized DAC, ( not talking about any commercial tubed output DAC ) but a very much customized application like Lamp's.
An interesting proposition will be to have a properly implemented tubed output from a DAC that offers DSD output format, forget bout doing it on the DCS gear for many would not be able to afford such not to mention being game enough to modify it, the other alternative would be Sony's older SCD 1 or 777 units but apparently beaten hands down compared to its newer very in demand XA 5400ES SACD player.

Recently got to know that OPPO's BDP 95 multi player with its 32 bit Sabre 9018 DAC's that can playback in native format of all SACD's and redbook cd's. Modwright has already converted an extensive tube output modification based on it and seems to be ' THE ' reference player for them even compared to the previously highly rated Sony XA 5400ES.

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alfred Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:46 pm

WongKN wrote:So, 3,300 Euros, that is around RM14.2k before factoring in shipping and taxes. Eventually, it looks like similar price to Bryston. I remember alternatives like Weiss and the Zodiac Antelope was similar price, am I correct ? Any forumers can confirm/correct this ?

I think Mr. WongKN is right by questioning the fact that who in the right state of mind, would pay such a hefty sum of 3,300 euros for a backyard made product. We must take note of the following:
1) This DAC is made from his own backyard
2) Only he, himself is doing it (without the cost of employing any qualified staff)
3) No actual R&D been done by a proper & qualified team of engineers
4) No proper marketing team to perform extensive surveys as to the needs of consumer
6) taxes
7) Other factors that incurred more cost by a 'properly set up' branded company.

Based on the above, how can this product
be selling at the same price as other branded products Question
alfred
alfred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Character sheet
Source(s): pioneer pd s901 as transport \ denon dcd s10 d/a
Amplification: krell pre / threshold
Speakers: LS 5/12A, Spendor 2/3

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks for that Dixchen.

The onkyo is cheap enough USD350, that it affordable to mod/lamp that.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:55 pm

alfred wrote:

I think Mr. WongKN is right by questioning the fact that who in the right state of mind, would pay such a hefty sum of 3,300 euros for a backyard made product. We must take note of the following:
2) Only he, himself is doing it (without the cost of employing any qualified staff)
4) No proper marketing team to perform extensive surveys as to the needs of consumer
6) taxes
7) Other factors that incurred more cost by a 'properly set up' branded company.

Lukasz is a power engineer and has an executive MBA. Poland is a cheaper base of operations. He currently has 2 employees and is thinking of adding a third. Of course he pays taxes!

He does R&D daily! The problem is to get him to STOP! He likes tinkering, so that is a challenge. He has personally spend hundreds of thousands of his own money to this point and has interacted with hundreds if not thousands of consumers and potential consumers. He also freely helps the DIY community by sharing ideas. Remember, he designs his own circuitry and tests radical, no-text book ideas to see if they SOUND better. The big guys WANT to steal his ideas and many have in the past.

In any case, you pay for RESULTS as a consumer, not by cost input. If he built a unit that sounded crappy and it costs $5000 to make what would you pay for that???

I can tell you that I personally am in contact with people who have ditched much more expensive DACs like McIntaosh, Zanden, etc. I know of one audiophile in Boston who built his entire system around a level 3 DAC with the special receiver chip. This guy had einstein amps, shindo amps, accapella speakers and the works and is chsnging to cheaper stuff that sounds better, like a modded altec lansing 19 horn system.

Dont focus only on price, focus on PERFORMANCE for the $$$ invested. Listen to a level 4 and then decide...or dont if you dont want to be tempted.

Question all you want, but decide if you want peformance or audio jewelry, most times you get either one or the other.

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Why don't somebody bring in a Lamp level 4 so that we can have a chance to listen to this world class DAC.

Talk is cheap. We have listened to people saying 'This is the best and that is the best and people giving up mega bucks system for it. (Latest being claims by Harbeth speaker owners).

If it does happen, I hope it is played in a proper high end system with full range floorstander.
Compare with DAC around it's price point ie Weiss 202, BAD Alpha, etc.
That wld be interesting.

Yeah, we all want to be tempted...Bring it IN.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Good idea VS126!! Very Happy
If it's good, let me have a unit.

Cheers,

Last edited by noodle88 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Incomplete)
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 pm

alfred wrote:

6) taxes

Errr we're not buying a Mercedes Benz here leh.. its a custom made product very similar along the lines of customized cars from West Coast Customs in the US...... Very Happy

Some like it cause it looks good, some like it cause it sounds good, some like it cause ' OTHER ' people say its good..

Thus there isn't any justification for anything in this audio world, let our ears and pocket do the justification on pricing...

VS 126, actually someone should be game enough to bring in his level 5 la, then we'll have a group informal review just like the one in Canada.. Laughing

But bit pricey leh..... Razz

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisnon Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:51 pm

VS126 wrote:Why don't somebody bring in a Lamp level 4 so that we can have a chance to listen to this world class DAC.

Talk is cheap. We have listened to people saying 'This is the best and that is the best and people giving up mega bucks system for it. (Latest being claims by Harbeth speaker owners).

If it does happen, I hope it is played in a proper high end system with full range floorstander.
Compare with DAC around it's price point ie Weiss 202, BAD Alpha, etc.
That wld be interesting.

Yeah, we all want to be tempted...Bring it IN.

Fair enuff, however, most of the owners I know are in the US. I am in Switz.

The people who i know switched have gear like Audio-techne, Avant-guarde horns, CEC transports, acapella speakers, shindo amps, einstein monos, and tops class analog rigs. Each started with USD50K plus rigs. These are serious enthusiasts that casually dropped 2 grand on 3 foot interconnects!

There is a Lamp dealer in Australia, perhaps you can make arrangements there?

BTW, did you consider the possibility that the Lamp would sound as good as you have read? What would you do then? Scary but valid point to consider! LoL

Wisnon
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next