Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review

+19
bimmerman
chua55
mugenfoo
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
mofaz
kkthen
scllyt
WongKN
adrian4454
wabun
bassraptor
hifikrazy
joeling
Glassaudio
tycham
Wikin
llsaw
ryder
elhefe
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review Empty ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi all,

This is my review of a 2 days old ProAc D18 speakers.

The dealer arrived precisely at 4 pm on Saturday as promised. Two person had to carry the 25 kg/speaker unit up to my music room on the 3rd floor (I did provide ice cold lemonade). The first 10 minutes were spent explaining to them my set up so they dont get confused on the speaker cable connections from my EPOS and MF biamping.

Then again get their confirmation that this demo is free and no commitment of purchase if I dont like it before they start unpacking this UK sealed speakers.When I say UK sealed it means that was written on the inner packaging (plastic covers of the speakers). Do not purchase the speakers if the packaging have been compromised.

I had to dismount my EPOS as they will not be responsible for any damage of my speakers.

It took them about 30 minutes to set up the speakers. As the unit is heavy, they used my footers underneath the ProAc spikes (or more like a dome spike) to avoid damaging the wooden floor panel.

First into the CDP was Andrea Bocelli's Time to Say Goodbye. Vocals were transparent and uplifting but I still dont get the low frequency as I expected. It sounded quite similar to my EPOS. Maybe because I was spending a good 3 hours before this session listening to my EPOS.

Next in was Metallica S&M Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman. The bass drums from Enter Sandman was a bit harsh and I could not feel much vibration from the downfire ports. The guitars from Nothing Else Matter was clear though with a touch liveliness (well it was a concert). At this point, start to feel a little bit let down by the speakers.

However, I do agree that these speakers are quite easy to drive. I was listening at my usually level between 9 to 10 o'clock on the MFXA1 and it was giving me a louder sound than my EPOS.

Its now already running for 30 mins. Next in was Mariah Carey - Hero. Now it starts too sound different. The soundstaging was a little bit off, so the dealer played arpund with speakers toe in from zero degrees to about 15 degrees. That helped in soundstaging. The bass was starting to sound a bit loose but still not to my expectation. The high frequency was doing great but still have not acquired that overall balanced sound.

For the ultimate bass test, I slipped in NAS - Street Dreams and also Bone Thugs and Harmony. Now that really shakes things up. A bit worried that the bass ports and woofers will get damaged. But the dealer said just to leave the volume at that. The speakers will start getting used to it. Sure enough, after another 30 mins of massive bass from these songs, the bass starts to become more controlled (or maybe its just my ears getting used to the sound)

So after 2.5 hours of demoing, I discussed with the dealer. I cannot make a decision because the speakers are not at thier full potential and the agreement was for him to bring a show room unit that has been run in plus this new speakers for immediate purchase.

Based on this he let me keep the speakers till Monday for me to decide.

So I had the system run in the speakers for 18 hours (till Sunday noon) with Mariah Carey on repeat. By Sunday noon, the sound just became better. More balanced tone, feel refreshing when I put on Andrea's and clarity is more defined. Spent an hour listening to the speakers with various CDs and also test it with MD and also songs from my iPhone and laptop via M1 DAC.

Had to go out for Sunday lunch.

Came back 5 hours later (roughly already 24 hrs run in) and thinsg are getting so much better. I can start to feel the vibration in the bass ports. Put on Eagles Hotel California and Gypsy Kings Bambaleo. WOW! very very satisfying overall presentation. It can really keep up with the pace on the several guitars playing on Bambaleo and other Gypsy Kings songs.

And this Monday morning after 36 hours of run in, I put on Bon Jovi (Livin on a Prayer and also prayed that the Mrs will be OK with the speakers)just before going to work. Yes, even on old'ish' rock music, it sounds pretty good.

So am I buying it? I have another 4 hours to decide before I call the dealer on my decision.

Last but not least, pictures.

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 5150880569_7ebd7e234f
ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 5151499252_5f09f3e78e
ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 5150886659_6fd4eaccdd
ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 5150884153_7e2eba63dc
ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 5150369683_71cc1cf9b4
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review Empty Re: ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review

Post by ryder Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Nice write-up. Proac D-series are good speakers. Judging from the music you listen to which includes some pop and rock, the Proacs should deliver. The sound is still not at its optimum and will improve with considerable run-in.

You should have asked your dealer to loan you a Naim integrated as Proacs are known to match well with Naim. You can then benchmark your Musical Fidelity amps with the Naims. You can probably do that after you have committed to a purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Ryder,

Thats the set up I heard in the shop - Naim and D18s. It was really good. So had to have a home demo to ensure D18s can deliver with my set up as I like the sound from MF kit.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:56 pm

How much are they selling u the D18s for?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:00 pm

From my experience the D18 are very fast speakers with excellent bass. They do take a long long time to run-in though (months).

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:58 pm

llsaw wrote:How much are they selling u the D18s for?

RRP is RM14K. for final price, have to kaw tim lah with the dealer. Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:02 pm

llsaw wrote:From my experience the D18 are very fast speakers with excellent bass. They do take a long long time to run-in though (months).

Thats what I heard too. If I do decide to buy it, I cant wait for it to fully run in.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

elhefe wrote:
llsaw wrote:From my experience the D18 are very fast speakers with excellent bass. They do take a long long time to run-in though (months).

Thats what I heard too. If I do decide to buy it, I cant wait for it to fully run in.

Hi,
No offence intended; I think you're wasting your money on that speaker if you don't improve on your setup skills. Start with your speaker placement. If you want good stereophonic imaging with detailed bass (not qty bass) don't put your speaker so near that rear wall... Also take note on speaker symmetry relative to your room. It's very important. Cool

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Wikin wrote:

Also take note on speaker symmetry relative to your room. It's very important. Cool

cheers.

Just a thought.. if possible shift the entire set-up to the other end of the room so door would not be in the way.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm

nt

Last edited by Glassaudio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Glassaudio

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Character sheet
Source(s): Clearaudio Master Ref. Turntable
Amplification: VTL Mono Power /Pre
Speakers: Apogee Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Wikin,

No offense taken.

Actually one of the element I find attractive of the proacs is the down firing bass port which makes it independant of the distance from the rear wall. I have tried positioning the speakers 5, 10, 15 and 30 cm from the wall and it didnt make any different on the bass. On the relative symmetry, I do feel the listening position which is about 15 ft from the speakers is quite ok but I do prefer if i can increase the distance between the speakers from currently 10 ft to 15 ft as well.

What do u suggest would be the suitable distances?
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 pm

tycham wrote:
Wikin wrote:

Also take note on speaker symmetry relative to your room. It's very important. Cool

cheers.

Just a thought.. if possible shift the entire set-up to the other end of the room so door would not be in the way.

Yes that was initial set up that I was planning but I actually have a drum set and guitar and PA set up on that side of the wall. Also the air cond is on that wall as well. Given that I dont trust the the equipment that came with this rented house as the air cond was leaking when I first moved in, dont want to take the risk.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Glassaudio wrote:All these equipment crammped into so small space, all a waste of money.
Better use bookshelf speaker with intergrated amplifier.
The curtain, the rear wall....ahhhh, the designer will die if he see it.
Ahhhhh....too many equipment,....all messed up. No no no no

Very insulting comments but appreciate your honesty. Hhhhhhmm dont really care what the designer thinks first of all. Secondly, this is a rented house. Not interested to change anything. Will be moving back to my own place end of Dec. Already have in mind how to set up the kit.

As for the room size, actually I find it sufficient with the volume I am listening at. Cant help it with the many equipments as I still use MD and also tapes for listening.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm

nt

Last edited by Glassaudio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Glassaudio

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Can u please explain more why the speakers need to pulled out from the walls? I always thought that it will only effect rear firing bass port speakers.

I was using bookshelf speakers but not getting enough bass from them, hence the change.

Yes, the dealer was using naim to run the proac in the show room. But thats another 20 grand to change set up. And also I am happy with MF kit. They too did not place the proac far from the wall.

Last edited by elhefe on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:34 pm

It's because of comments like that which makes me reluctant to place order for this!

lol!

Last edited by tycham on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:39 pm

tycham wrote:It's because of comments like that which makes me reluctant to placed order for this!

lol!

Wwwaaaahh those speakers, if i have a room as big as my school hall, then maybe I buy looorr.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:43 pm

elhefe wrote:
tycham wrote:It's because of comments like that which makes me reluctant to place order for this!

lol!

Wwwaaaahh those speakers, if i have a room as big as my school hall, then maybe I buy looorr.

Put in the living room! Don't carry them up 3 storey-they weigh 305kgs each. Very Happy
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Hahaha. Reminds me of a friend of mine who bought a grand piano. Had to use crane to lift it up to 2nd floor.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm

nt

Last edited by Glassaudio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Glassaudio

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Ty,

The Flagship Sonus are designed to work well in moderate sized rooms. So if you want to take a second mortage, go ahead.

Glassaudio

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Glassaudio wrote:Use Tube amps like audio research.

Take the speaker and hook it in yr living room at least 5 feet out from the front wall with slight toe in depending on yr distance to speaker and you will realise that I make sense.

PeoAc are beautiful speakers if you know how to use them.

Sorry dude. Still does not make sense. First Naim, then Audio Research. Might as well just say MF is crap. Smile

I may do some more experiment with speaker distance from the wall this weekend but I doubt much different I will hear apart from the speakers will be in my face. If only there is a more justifiable facts that can support the distance from the wall theory. Maybe my understanding all these while was wrong.

Back to focussing on the music rather than tuning.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:41 pm

The D18 is the little brother of the D28. Heard the D28 - very impressive indeed. Go for it already.

Speakers away from the wall will help imaging. The sense of space behind the speakers. My dealer is so extreme that he places the speakers mid way into the listening room. BTW he is using a pair of carbon 6 driven by 100w AR tube amps.
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Or soundstage. The illusion of musical instruments should Appear to be in the sound stage behind the speakers in layers.
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:05 am

My understanding of soundstaging is to feel that the singer is as if performing live in front of you at the speaker level.

Yes i have seen dealers putting the speakers in the middle of the room but that does not necessarily mean it works for all. As i said, i have also seen dealers putting it nearer to the wall. A lot of different ways. Whatever suits you best.

And of course, we make do lah with the space we have. Its not that we are setting up a show room.

Aaaaahhh Janet Seidl. Nice frenchy tune now.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:30 am

nt

Last edited by Glassaudio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Glassaudio

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 am

Glassaudio wrote:Dude Elhefe,

Audio research go very well with proac.

Oh yeah. I am happy that this is so. AR Ref 210 + ProAc D80 soon soon ..... Embarassed
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 am

Totally agree with the others here that the speakers need to be further away from the wall in order to improve soundstage depth and layering. Furthermore, assuming your measurements are correct, your listening position 15ft away when the speakers look to be only about 5.5ft to 6ft apart (from tweeter to tweeter) is not the right ratio to provide decent soundstage width. If your speakers continue to be this distance apart, then you should sit closer to the speakers, and I'm suggesting no more than 8ft away. You mentioned that your speakers are 10ft apart - I think you are mistaken based on the pic above.

A note of advice... Our suggestions on placement are well meaning and based on widely agreed opinions on hifi setup. It would do you good to be less defensive and sceptical, rather than challenging people to provide you with justifiable facts to support the distance to wall theory. If your listening skills are good enough, your ears will provide all the justification you need.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 am

Don't worry, no need to be defensive. If u like it like this, go for it.

When u move into more permanent premises & feel like experimenting, then perhaps can try moving the speakers a little further away from the wall. If not, also no problem as long as u like it.

This dealer is CMY ya ? Met one guy a the Demansara (spell ?) branch that is really polite & friendly.

elhefe wrote:My understanding of soundstaging is to feel that the singer is as if performing live in front of you at the speaker level.

Yes i have seen dealers putting the speakers in the middle of the room but that does not necessarily mean it works for all. As i said, i have also seen dealers putting it nearer to the wall. A lot of different ways. Whatever suits you best.

And of course, we make do lah with the space we have. Its not that we are setting up a show room.

Regards,
Joe Ling
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 am

elhefe wrote:Hi Wikin,

No offense taken.

Actually one of the element I find attractive of the proacs is the down firing bass port which makes it independant of the distance from the rear wall. I have tried positioning the speakers 5, 10, 15 and 30 cm from the wall and it didnt make any different on the bass. On the relative symmetry, I do feel the listening position which is about 15 ft from the speakers is quite ok but I do prefer if i can increase the distance between the speakers from currently 10 ft to 15 ft as well.

What do u suggest would be the suitable distances?

Hi,
Great! I like the open attitude of yours Very Happy

Speaker placement is such a pain that no many ppl put effort into it; cos you could fail at the 100th time only to succeed at the 101st time. It's an iteration process of moving the speakers/ listening position one bit at a time finding the right position where the reward is, instead of just looking into the soundstage, you'll be immersed in music with good bass lines (as in taut and tuneful).

While I'm no expert in speaker placement, I do subscribe to the 1/3 rule in room placement like this one below. It's a good starting point to place, then start your iteration process. Do remember to keep things in symmetry. Also, try not to toe in the speakers, keep them straight firing. I find the soundstage widens much better this way.

http://usheraudiousa.com/files/Speaker_Placement_r3.pdf

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:09 am

Elhefe: I won't be abrasive but just to add in ... placement for speakers is extremely under-rated. Small differences in distance from the walls and listener and between speakers can make or break the sound! Imaging and staging are not just in front, there's also the depth of field, ie, back to front, that makes the results holographic, ie, 3D! Sometimes, you can experiment with placement for a whole weekend and not get it right, and then, you hit the sweet spot! When this happens, it's worth the sweat ...

From the photo, looks like you've got a wall along one side, open space on the other ... not a great balance. Check out the Audio Image main room - whatever speakers sited there are halfway out into the room and well toed-in, and from the listening chair, you hear some immense back-to-front dimension! So, just keep experimenting and listening ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am

14K ? hey before you take out your wallet, give a seious listening to Von Schweikert VR33.. you can contact Daniel Tan for arrangement...big bang for eveny penny.. Very Happy

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 am

elhefe,
Dont let ppl force suggestion into your setup. In the end of day, your satisfaction is more important than others. Often than not, most of us have compromise, not all of us will have big room/acoustic chamber with endless space to make the best out of the system.
Your Proac will be a big investment for you, I believe, it may well survive few upgrades to come as you intended to. As it may have very well sorted capability that your current setup may not be able to fully realized yet.
To have an idea of what speaker placement can do; make drastic placement first to understand the changes it can do. Instead of 1~2 inches setting, do 6inches or more. Once you have understand this potential change, do keep that in mind and see what you can or cannot compromise when u move into your new house.

Mean time, just enjoy your music from the new speaker.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:47 am

All,

I have no intention of challenging nor be defensive. I welcome constructive criticism and suggestion. But please, commenting on curtains and wall does not reflect years of expetise nor it helps other members. And since when does having too many equipments is a crime? I do not think its wrong for me to ask for some explanation of the proposed suggestions.

Its easy to ask someone to move things around, speakers away from wall, toe in etc, but if you really want to help a fellow member and share wisdom, do so like Wikin and hifikrazy. Good explanation that makes the reader wanting to experiment more. In fact that is one of my concern on the distances between listening point and distance between speakers. If you read my first posting, I did mention that soundstaging is not to my expectation, and the toeing in helped a bit but still not 'there' yet.

Recommendations also will be more helpful if its practical. I am already grateful to have a dedicated music room so I live with it. If I had the choice, of course I would set it up in the living room but my AV set up is already there and I would want a private listening room away from kids.

Preaching about experience is subjective. Please do not assume new members or someone who seldom provide comments here are inexperience. I know some of you guys have more than 20 years experience but please dont belittle my 15 years experience in hifi as well. Not to mention my 20 years experience in playing musical instrument.

My write up is from my experience demoing the ProAc. Nothing more and nothing less. Is to share my weekend expereince. Not only on the speakers but on the good dealership and customer management by the dealer.

Of course dealers want to sell what they have. Whats the point of running a business if they start recommending products that they dont have? But I am not so naive just to purchase an equipment because the dealer said so.

As for the distance from the wall, I am more concern of the distance from sidewall rather than the rear. Experimenting and remeasuring of the distances is something I would do.

Sorry guys, my intention for the write up was just for fun reading and didnt expect to turn into a debate. As I mention in another thread, Hifi and music are my passion, its an element for me to gain some sanity and serenity from that stress and pressure at work, not to get more pressure from it. Although the cost of hifi is a pressure Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 am

adrian4454 wrote:elhefe,
Dont let ppl force suggestion into your setup. In the end of day, your satisfaction is more important than others. Often than not, most of us have compromise, not all of us will have big room/acoustic chamber with endless space to make the best out of the system.
Your Proac will be a big investment for you, I believe, it may well survive few upgrades to come as you intended to. As it may have very well sorted capability that your current setup may not be able to fully realized yet.
To have an idea of what speaker placement can do; make drastic placement first to understand the changes it can do. Instead of 1~2 inches setting, do 6inches or more. Once you have understand this potential change, do keep that in mind and see what you can or cannot compromise when u move into your new house.

Mean time, just enjoy your music from the new speaker.

I agree Adrian. I might bring the speakers upfront a bit, maximum maybe 1 ft from the wall but I guess that the limit with room size I have. I actually would want to minimize tweaking at this stage because the speakers are new and not fully run in. If I set everything now, it might change again when my speakers are fully run in.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:59 am

bassraptor wrote:Elhefe: I won't be abrasive but just to add in ... placement for speakers is extremely under-rated. Small differences in distance from the walls and listener and between speakers can make or break the sound! Imaging and staging are not just in front, there's also the depth of field, ie, back to front, that makes the results holographic, ie, 3D! Sometimes, you can experiment with placement for a whole weekend and not get it right, and then, you hit the sweet spot! When this happens, it's worth the sweat ...

From the photo, looks like you've got a wall along one side, open space on the other ... not a great balance. Check out the Audio Image main room - whatever speakers sited there are halfway out into the room and well toed-in, and from the listening chair, you hear some immense back-to-front dimension! So, just keep experimenting and listening ...

Agree bassraptor. Speaker placement is important I grant you that. However, I also judge an equipment (for first impression) how good it sounds on its own, without much tweaking. In short, in its bare nakedness Smile ie how good is the design to adapt to my ears.

I would want to let the speakers run in fully, then start experimenting extensively.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 am

joeling wrote:Don't worry, no need to be defensive. If u like it like this, go for it.

When u move into more permanent premises & feel like experimenting, then perhaps can try moving the speakers a little further away from the wall. If not, also no problem as long as u like it.

This dealer is CMY ya ? Met one guy a the Demansara (spell ?) branch that is really polite & friendly.

elhefe wrote:My understanding of soundstaging is to feel that the singer is as if performing live in front of you at the speaker level.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Cool Joe, (that rhymes quite nicely Smile)

Yup, not to beat around the bush, its CMY One Utama. I have been a long term customer with them and particularly one guy in One Utama branch. To be frank, I have not purchased hifi kit much from them as my gear are mainly Musical Fidelity but been buying a lot of power cables, ICs etc from them. I think this is the first and most expensive item I am purchasing from them.

Hence the surprise feeling when they offered home demo with no commitment. Feeling that they really want to make sure I do get a good pair for my set up. But of course, none of these sentimental feeling affected my judgement.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am

elhefe... I guess sometimes our choice of words can be a little harsh, but I guess it's brought on by the passion we feel about our mutual hobby. Well noted that many of us have different restrictions that prevent us placing our system in the perfect location in our house (otherwise my system will definitely be placed in my master bedroom but I'm afraid the screaming may drown out the music). I think the strong opinions expressed about your speaker placement is brought about by the knowledge that you have invested good money in such a capable speaker like the Proac D18, but "waste" it by not better optimising the speaker positioning.

You are right to worry about the sidewall as well, especially when you have one speaker tucked into a corner which is usually considered to be a big no-no - It's like double trouble. If you are able to bring the speakers further out, at least you only have the right side wall that would still be an issue, which you could then treat with some acoustic material hidden behind the curtain. Bringing the speakers further out may also give you a better ratio between the distance between speakers and the distance to listening position - The generally accepted "ideal range" is between 0.80 to 1.0. Suggest that you use a tape measure rather than visually estimate the distances... precision is important.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 am

elhefe,
You are absolutely correct. Let the speaker run in and get familiar with the sound first. whatever minor tweaking, leave it to the final stage in your search of the best sound later. I believe it is hard to make a fair judgment on what different it can make by tweaking a little at the moment, as you are not familiar yet with the sound of the new speaker. As long as the new sound isnt something offensive, just enjoy it first la.

SOmetimes, we have the tendency to do so much to make the new equipment to go back to the similar sound we used to listen from our old setup, we are missing the point of the improvement on the new equipment has to offer.

Just relax and enjoy the music la. Or more accurately, the new bass performance it can offer now. Smile

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:48 am

bassraptor wrote:Elhefe: I won't be abrasive but just to add in ... placement for speakers is extremely under-rated. Small differences in distance from the walls and listener and between speakers can make or break the sound! Imaging and staging are not just in front, there's also the depth of field, ie, back to front, that makes the results holographic, ie, 3D! Sometimes, you can experiment with placement for a whole weekend and not get it right, and then, you hit the sweet spot! When this happens, it's worth the sweat ...

Bassraptor,
I get this sneaky feeling that you are speaking on experience..... Very Happy
So, how did the weekend go ? Did you get any headway with the other speakers ? That website I gave you has a wealth of information agree ? Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:49 am

adrian4454 wrote:elhefe,
You are absolutely correct. Let the speaker run in and get familiar with the sound first. whatever minor tweaking, leave it to the final stage in your search of the best sound later. I believe it is hard to make a fair judgment on what different it can make by tweaking a little at the moment, as you are not familiar yet with the sound of the new speaker. As long as the new sound isnt something offensive, just enjoy it first la.

SOmetimes, we have the tendency to do so much to make the new equipment to go back to the similar sound we used to listen from our old setup, we are missing the point of the improvement on the new equipment has to offer.

Just relax and enjoy the music la. Or more accurately, the new bass performance it can offer now. Smile

Its all about bass vibration now hehehe bounce Had a 15 minutes dosage of The Fugees this morning before leaving for work. Surely had woken up the neighbours hahaha.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Elhefe,

As usual, I will throw in some unusual suggestions to stir the shit-pot a bit.... Laughing

You are not the only guy with a headache with the room. But you now have an additional consideration, actually two of them. 1 is you indicated clearly you are currently renting and will shift to a permanent house very soon. If so, you have to consider carefully if you want to do any tweaking now. It's double edged sword really, whenever you tweak/tune, you gain experience and it helps you in the future. So you cannot say you are wasting time now because the experience gained will be very useful in the new house, with presumeably a better listening room.

OTOH, the speaker is new and in the 1st place, have you decided to buy the speaker or not ? If so, then the other consideration is if you remember what I advised Chang to do with his Maggie 1.7, listen and get familiar with the speaker sound first - its strengths and weaknesses. Only after you do that can you start to attempt to tweak with any degree of success. You may not necessarily have to wait for the speaker to fully run in. Usually the basic characteristic doesn't change much and the speaker will retain its overall character and sonic balance, just the overall sound will improve upon run-in. I.e. if you feel the speaker is bright now, it may improve after run-in but personally if you don't like it being bright now, the chance is that you will continue not to like it even after run-in. (This is an example).

Even in your current listening room, I can see several constraints. What can you do ? In the first place, is it possible to swap the location of the two set of 'equipments'. Currently the hifi is on 1 side and the musical instruments are on the other. Can their positions be reversed ? Is the other wall a total wall without windows and door ? It could be there is a door to an attached toilet on the other side and that certainly turns the whole picture differently.

There is one unusual system/speaker placement I have read about and I myself have tried briefly. For my case, I have better luck and my room allows me the standard placement and I get better sound. But for your case, if your room really don't allow you to proper placement, especially with the preferred placement of speakers away from the rear wall, you can try to place the system in a CORNER. I.e. with the speakers firing DIAGONALLY across the room, instead of firing lengthwise or widthwise. There are some school of arguement that this gives the best speaker placement because there is no chance for resonance. But the results are iffy in my experience. But no harm to try ! Just try it with the speakers first and if it floats your boat, you can try with the system as well. You don't have to place the speakers directly diagonal. You just have to tilt the placement so that the speakers can be further apart and placed further out of the room. It is something worth trying.

OK, that's all I want to comment at this stage. Until you shift to your permanent house. Then if you want to talk, we can talk again.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Glassaudio wrote:Ty,

The Flagship Sonus are designed to work well in moderate sized rooms. So if you want to take a second mortage, go ahead.

Considering my self-appointed "financial controller" aversion to debt incursion, all the more I should refrain from placing an order for the Fernice!
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Tuan WongKN,

Keep on stirring sir. The shit might change into thick plaster Smile Aiseh with all the postings, I forgot to mention that I actually already purchased the speakers. RM 1X,000 poorer now. Hehehe.

Yes, actually agree on your statment about running in. Thats why the first 10 to 30 mins of the speakers hooked up to the system, is very important to me.During the demo, it was still an improvement from my EPOS but have not reached 'there' yet. The bass only came in later. As of this morning I can still here that sound is changing. Of course a lot of factors comes in lah. Time of listening, just cleaned my ears during shower etc compared to last night Smile

It has a lot of constraint the room I am in. Wait, I have pictures from my previous set up.

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 4823847413_2697958665_m
ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 4824460202_9f50b02ee4_m
ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 4991168177_213c66db2b_m
ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review 4823848539_c06296ca79_m
Behind the 1 seater sofa is the bathroom and besides the guitars is the built in wardrobe. Moving the hifi to where the drums are would help in distance between speakers but my sofa will be nearer tp the set up.

Yes I heard about the setting up the system at the corner. No harm trying especially when I move to my old place.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:26 pm

elhefe wrote:Moving the hifi to where the drums are would help in distance between speakers but my sofa will be nearer tp the set up.

Which may not be a bad thing as long as you can keep it within the ratios I mentioned above.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:28 pm

nt

Last edited by Glassaudio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Glassaudio

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Glassaudio wrote:OMG!

WHAT A WASTE.

OMG ! Its actually starting to be very funny. Good job Glass.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:16 pm

nt

Last edited by Glassaudio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Glassaudio

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Glassaudio wrote:I will keep quiet.

Thats the best comment from you so far.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glassaudio Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:29 pm

nt

Last edited by Glassaudio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Glassaudio

Character sheet