Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Quad ESL 57 (SOLD)

Go down

Quad ESL 57 (SOLD) Empty Quad ESL 57 (SOLD)

Post by kowtim Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 am

Hi and thanks for looking.

I have one pair of Quad 57's for sale. I have owned them for some twenty years now and had wanted to restore them. I have some other priorities going on in my life at the moment and so I am considering putting them up for sale.

The selling price is perhaps on first thought rather high for a non working disasembled pair. I am asking for SOLD. So fair enough if you think this price is ridiculous. No need for you to comment or read any further.There are plenty of other wonderful bargains to be had here in the forums so go look for them there and happy bargain hunting.

But for the very few of you who know the real worth of these things... ( go to the Quad Germany site for some pricing info...they have actually started making them again) you might be interested in some more info on these particular ones.

I had originally intended to restore these things to brand new ex-factory condition. And so over the years I have accumulated all the various bits to fully restore them.

I personally went to ER Audio itself in Australia and purchased from Rob McKinlay all the various bits and pieces needed. I did not buy a kit but rather plenty of all the things needed. Films, conductive solution, high tension wires, power supply capacitors, tensioning gauge etc etc. I have also purchased from Gary Jacobs' another Australian Quad expert the original style bass films, treble films and the original style nylon coating.
From One Thing Audio in the UK I have purchased the audio transformer component rebuild kit. From Sweden? I purchased the Enquist High Voltage boards.

One of the things about the Quad 57 is that the dust cover frames are very unsightly as they were not very well finished off at the factory. And so I have made a really nice set of panel dust frames that look much better than the originals.

I had originally rebuilt all the panels. Long story cut short I had the problem that there was something wrong with the particular batch of conductive fluid that I used and so they were a little noisy. The panels sizzled a little. I got some replacement fluid but just never got around to changing and recoating the film again.

And so one speaker is fully assembled and it is in amazing physical condition. I would say that it would be in some ways in even better then new physical condition as I have taken great care rebuilding them. It's unfortunate that it needs to be stripped down and the film replaced and the undamaged coating solution be put on it to make the whole thing perfect. The other speaker needs to be fully rebuilt & restored but that should be easy as you have a fully assembled one to follow along as a guide.

These speakers are complete. By this I mean they have the original mains leads and original Bulgin connectors. I have the original "jute" style material for the rear grills and the original damping materials behind the treble panels. All the wood is there etc.

I have just about everything you need. The paints...the varnish..the tapes..the whole lot. Just about every damn thing you need. If you can lock yourself up in a room and put in two weeks of work, you will perhaps have yourself one of the nicest pairs of 57's around the world!

+60174461556 (Located in Sg Buloh)

kowtim
kowtim
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down