Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

CLiC Anyone?

+4
dnabira
cheelun
WongKN
elhefe
8 posters

Go down

CLiC Anyone? Empty CLiC Anyone?

Post by elhefe Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am

My prayers have been answered. A unit that can stream flawlessly, provide international radio station, sufficient digital inputs including iPod digital input, USB digital input and can play my digital music straigh from hard drive without turning on a PC. ALL in ONE unit.

Got mine yesterday. Superb piece of kit. Review will follow.

CLiC Anyone? 5930195500_6cdb3a2bc4_z

CLiC Anyone? 5930194212_5533989aca_z

CLiC Anyone? 5930193108_ca6f097a08_z
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

CLiC Anyone? Empty Re: CLiC Anyone?

Post by WongKN Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:00 pm

How muchee ?
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

RRP at RM7200.

LTB was suppose to showcase this in KLIAV show but there was a concern that the unit will not be launched/arrive in KL on time. So, cancel lah.

But it can be purchased directly from LTB.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:04 pm

WAH-lau, damn rich fella la you !!

I thought Musical Fidelity is being represented by CMY ? What is LTB ?
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cheelun Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Can it function as a pre-amp as well?

cheelun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:17 pm

No lah Uncle Wong. LTB Enterprise is MF sole distributor in Malaysia. Although I also know the V-DAC is sold by HiWay as well.

Where got rich?? Its the wonderful world of credit card heheheh.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:20 pm

cheelun wrote:Can it function as a pre-amp as well?

This is the best part cheelun.

It is actually a digital and analogue pre amp with the following inputs PLUS a built in DAC that upsamples to 192kHz (same DAC topography as the M1 DAC):

1. 2 coax input
2. 1 optical input
3. 1 USB input
4. 1 USB/iPod interface input
5. 3.... yes 3 RCA analogue input

For output:

1. 1 pair RCA variable pre out. Can connect direct to power amp and use the CLiC to control volume

2. 1 pair of RCA fixed out. Can connect to any input on your integrated amp/another pre amp.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Ok 24 hrs review:

So I got a message from distributor that the unit has arrived to Malaysian shores on Monday 11th July. So collected the unit the next day. Only 6 units were brought in the first batch which I have booked mine since last year Smile

Came home and immediately set it up into my system. Of course, being my normal lazy self, didnt bother with the manual reading.

What's included?

1. The unit itself
2. 3 pin plug power cable
3. Wifi antenna with extension cable
4. Network cable
5. Manual and warranty card
6. Personalised letter from Anthony Michaelson

Built

The unit is similar to the other M series. Although putting it side by side with M1 DAC, it looks slightly higher. I love the black granite finishing. Adds a sense of class.

Its a compact unit which weighs next to nothing. Very light but sturdily built.

The screen, to me is just the right size where contents can be easily read through.

The power button is of soft touch nature. Press it and the unit will be on standby mode for 10 seconds before it boots up.

Remote: Aaaaahhh this is a bit sad. The remote, although feature packed, feels a bit el cheapo. It reminds me to one of my old VCD player 15 years back that cost RM99. The unit can only be operated by remote control, so dont loose it.

Whats the buzz all about?

This unit is an ALL IN ONE digital (7 inputs) and analogue (3 inputs) preamp, music streamer and internet radio. Once connected to the network (wireless or wired), it can detect your stored digital music (and pics) and details will come out on the screen. You can then choose and control your music using the remote.

Inputs:
1. 2 coax input
2. 1 optical input
3. 1 USB input
4. 1 USB/iPod interface input
5. 3 RCA analogue input

For output:

1. 1 pair RCA variable pre out. Can connect direct to power amp and use the CLiC to control volume

2. 1 pair of RCA fixed out. Can connect to any input on your integrated amp/another pre amp.

What can it handle?

The CLiC will accept the following formats:

• FLAC (up to 24bit 192 kHz on wired LAN and up to 24bit 96 kHz on wireless LAN)
  • WMA/9 (up to 16bit 48 kHz)
  • AAC, HE-AAC (up to 24bit 96 kHz)
  • LPCM (up to 24bit 192 kHz on wired LAN and up to 24bit 96 kHz on wireless LAN)
  • Ogg vorbis 1.0 (up to 16bit 32 kHz)
  • MP3 (up to 16bit 48 kHz)

The seven digital inputs are configured as follows:

• 2 x digital ipod/iphone, memory stick, USB disc drive
  • 2 x coax inputs (SP-DIFF up to 24bit 192 kHz)
  • Optical (up to 24bit 192 kHz)
  • USB input
  • Network connection

How does it fair with the claim above?

Connectivity - Superb. I tested the whole day with wireless connectivity. My wifi route is downstairs and this unit is in my hifi room upstairs. It can detect the signal easily. Only 2 bars on the signal icon though. Keying in my wifi password was easy. The remote comes with mobile phone-like keys. Repetitive pressing on button to select the alphabet.number you want. I only had to set it up once and voila, within 5 seconds, its fully connected to my network.

First, I scrolled to media server on the CLiC and found my NAS with over 8000 digital files. All grouped to usual Tracks, Artist, Albums, Genres etc. Next I booted up my laptop, and again within a few seconds after the laptop has been booted up, the CLiC detected it.
For my iMac however, it could not as I have not installed a Twonky Media.

Next I tried the connectivity for internet radio. It automatic goes to Malaysis directory and found 6 stations. Tested all of them within a span of 30 mins and no signal dropout at all. However, these are not the most famous local radio stations. So tried with London and US radio stations. Again, no issues of drop out signals at all.

How about connectivity to iPod/iPhone?

So I took one of my Apple docks and connected the Apple provided USB/iPod cable to the CLiC. The USB/iPod connection is not interchangable with front USB connection.

But, it could not detect my iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS. A note came out on my iPhone saying 'Could not operate 2 connections' or something like that. Ahhhhh this is when I started to open up the manual hehehehe.

Sooooo, I cannot connect it to a dock. Thats what went wrong. It can only be connected directly to the iPhone/iPod. reason being, the dock also have its own remote. Thats why the note came out cannot operate 2 connections.

Once I connected the iPhone directly to CLiC, it detected all my the songs on it and also the playlist within seconds. Its just then a matter of choosing the music you want using the remote.

On the screen, the song, album and artist is shown together with and also any picture/art cover attached to the song. It can be easily readable from about 3 to 4 feet away.

How about the other features?

1. I tested one of the coax connection using my Wadia 170i transport. It definitely produced a different sound compared to my previous connection via MF X-DAC that does not upsample. The sound is also different compared to the direct digital connection to iPhone. Definitely more uplifiting and airy I would say.

2. Also connected my BRIK Audio BT stage to one of the analogue connection. It does inject a sense warm and mellowness to the music.

The listening session

I connected the CLiC unit to my M6i using the fixed output with Cambridge Audio IC.

Now that everything has been set up, its time to play the music.

I first tried the digital files I have on my NAS which most of them are ripped to either 320kbps MP3s at 48kHz or Apple Lossles. I also have a few FLAC files.

This is where the CLiC really excels. These digital files which previously was played via Airport Express fed into my old but trustworthy MF X-DAC, sound very very alive. The presence of tracks played was definitely more involving.

Changing tracks manually in shuffle mode will take about a 2 seconds pause. But if you just leave the unit to shuffle on its own, there is no gap in between changing tracks.

It can also handle all the types of files listed above with no issues.

I am not comparing these with CD player SQ as it is different approach to music. I love the idea of accessing all my digital files with ease and without the need of turning on the PC/laptop.

One improvement that I would suggest is for the unit to show the rate of the signal coming through, similar to the M1 DAC.

I dont have much comparison to other similar units. The ones I can think of are Bryston and Olive. I have listened to both. IMHO the CLiC provides the most flexibility, multiple format adaptiveness and its feature packed. For that price, I didnt think twice to pre-ordered it since last year.

Now, where is that credit card of mine?
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dnabira Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Congrats bro. Ini bermakna M1 akan bertukar tangan dalam masa terdekat. Wuhoooo!!! Very Happy

dnabira

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Character sheet
Source(s): MF M1 CDT, MF M1 DAC
Amplification: Audio Research SP16, Audio Research D200
Speakers: PMC FB1i

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Very nice graphic display! Smile
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 pm

dnabira wrote:Congrats bro. Ini bermakna M1 akan bertukar tangan dalam masa terdekat. Wuhoooo!!! Very Happy

Bukan M1 je, Wadia dock pun maybe will be on the market soon Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cyh Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi elhefe! Great review of your new toy! Make me want to take out my credit card too!
cyh
cyh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:01 pm

cyh,

thanks. it is a joy using this CLiC.

Satuday night was a long night for me. I bought a Siltech IC and wanted to hear how it fairs with the CliC. I ended up listening to various music and radio station from midnight till 3 am. Smile

If you can spare the cash, go for it. But hey, have a listen to it first. My taste myight not be the same as yours.

cyh wrote:Hi elhefe! Great review of your new toy! Make me want to take out my credit card too!
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cyh Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Satuday night was a long night for me. I bought a Siltech IC and wanted
to hear how it fairs with the CliC. I ended up listening to various
music and radio station from midnight till 3 am. Smile
Glad to see you really enjoying it. Nothing feels like getting a good buy!

If you can spare the cash, go for it. But hey, have a listen to it first. My taste myight not be the same as yours.
Ha, elhefe! Is that an invite? Very Happy
cyh
cyh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 am

If you are up for driving up from NS to Sg. Buloh, you are most welcome.
But better wait for Hari Raya because if you come now, I will not be able to offer you teh tarik or nescafe or even nasi goreng. You will go hungry and thirsty listening to the CLiC hehehe.

cyh wrote:
Satuday night was a long night for me. I bought a Siltech IC and wanted
to hear how it fairs with the CliC. I ended up listening to various
music and radio station from midnight till 3 am. Smile
Glad to see you really enjoying it. Nothing feels like getting a good buy!

Ha, elhefe! Is that an invite? Very Happy
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Wow...MF really hit it big this time. Just found out that they won EISA award for Network Music PLayer 2011-12. I wonder how did they carry out the evaluation and against what other players.

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:02 am

For a moment, I tot you were talking about Mugen Foo and that he has just bought some big time equipment. Like a Clearaudio Statement.... Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:27 am

If MF ever purchased the Statement, we not only need to set up a THREAD, but we need to set up a complete new blog page to honour him....hehehehe

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:30 am

SJ will need to write a full article on the momentous event I think..... Twisted Evil

Sorry MF, slow day, need something to break the monotony..... Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Muscal Fidelity have just released a software/firmware update for the CLiC. Quoted from their website:

An important feature of the M1 CLiC, is the internet software update. Periodically, we add extra features and enhancements to the M1 CLiC and it is important to regularly check for available updates.
The current available update improves FLAC performance and better quality album artwork and display, as well as general performance and operational improvements. Please consult your manual or dealer for instructions on how to download the update.

So, being curious on 'how a software improves FLAC playback' I downloaded it over Xmas weekend and updated the machine.

But not before I listen and listen and listen again the FLAC files I have...mainly Ella Fitz, Louis, Stan Getz, Metallica, Eagles and Nirvana.

Once I have updated the machine, I rebooted it and replayed the songs by the above artists. And whats the verdict?

YES. Software makes a DIFFERENT. Not necessarily improves but I can hear some emphasise on low end which makes it unbalanced on certain tracks especially on Stan Getz.

What software was updated on the CLiC? I dont know. No details were given.

So, who among all the digital sifu here can explain this?

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:54 pm

better ask your dealer or consult the manual LOL...

definitely not a digital sifu, nor a sifu of anything here....
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Unfortunately, when it comes to these MF digital stuff I am soooorrtt of know more than the dealer here. Or should not say I know more but I use this CLiC more than the dealer.

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Oy!!! Don't neglect your turntable!!!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:32 am

elhefe memang got bottomless wallet one.

truly an inspiration for everyone else.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 am

JediSavant wrote:Oy!!! Don't neglect your turntable!!!

Never neglect....just got an Amy winehouse LP today from RC.....

And received SMS from CMY Sg Wang, new LP shipment arrived today....lunch in Sg Wang tomorrow hheheehehe...

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 am

mugenfoo wrote:elhefe memang got bottomless wallet one.

truly an inspiration for everyone else.

3 words....Flexipay Standard Chartered hahahaha...

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 pm

So far, there is still no news whether Musical Fidelity will have an app for iOS or Android to be able to control the CLiC. However, I have found an app that is the next best thing....an app that streams music directly from iPad/iPhone/iPod wirelessly. Very close to Airplay.

The App is MediaConnect and cost USD 4.99 from iTunes.
Once connected to the network the CLiC is on, it will detect the CLiC. Then its just a matter of choosing your song on your device and it will start playing on CLiC, complete with the album cover.
It also works the opposite. You can use the CLiC remote to choose the songs on your device. Under the Media Servers, CLiC can detect the iPad/iPhone.

So far I have let it run overnight with no lag and intermittent signal.

I am not sure at what rate the streaming is but it does sound different from plugging the iPad directly to CLiC using USB cable. It sounds more airy and not compressed.

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:59 am

Wwwooohhhooo finally.... Did AM read my posting or what?

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/M1-Series/M1CLiC/M1CLiC-App.asp

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:08 am

Perhaps you are the unheralded Musical Fidelity super-user that helps define the brand's direction!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:16 am

So thats why I have been receiving a GBP 5000 cheque every month heheheheh.

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 am

Get new turntable, new cartridge, new phono stage....
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:25 am

Aaaannd stop using CLiC right? Heheheheh....

A new TT will come only if my LP collection hits 500 pieces.

And a RCM will come when it hits 300.

CLiC Anyone? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm

By the way, RCM is useful, even for new records. Many 'mint' freshly unwrapped records come with the factory grunge still intact. A light wash does wonders, not to mention removes static.

Here's a recent review on the CLiC... http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Musical-Fidelity-M1-CLiC-Universal-Music-Controller-Review

JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down