Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review

+2
rasenthiran
elhefe
6 posters

Go down

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review Empty Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review

Post by elhefe Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:58 pm

This review is long overdue due to some technical glitches I was having after I purchase the Yamaha RXV 2067 during the KLIAV 2011.

Before that, I would like to recap some of my ventures into the digital video medium. Putting aside the VCD era in 1994 to 1997, I first ventured into DVD when it was first launched in UK in 1998, i purchased the sony first dvd player that cost me 500 pounds. At that time, the discs were so scarced and cost up to 30 pounds each. Life was simple then because there was only one superior audio format which was Dolby Digital. At that time, I owned a Sherwood 925 AV RECEIVER which was a Dolby Digital ready meaning it can accept the 5.1 audio via 6 RCA cable and let the player decode the sound. I was a happy camper until....

DTS and multi region players came along in year 2000. I opted for the famous Wharfedale DVD player for 99 pounds, purchased from Tesco. At that time, DTS only came in Region 1 DVDs so I started purchasing DVDs online from USA. Aaaaahhh but the Wharfedaleplayer does not have onboard decoding, so thats when I purchased the Yamaha RXVa795RDS AV amp. It was among the first AV amps that could decode DTS. Life was good again until....

Blu Ray came along. While the format war was hot between HD DVD and BD, I purchased the Sony BDP S1E flagship player from Desa HT in 2008 together with a Samsung 42" Full HD LCD TV. Picture was so much better than DVD. I like and was a happy camper eventhough at that time, my Yamaha could only decode 'normal' DD and DTS. I put a hold on upgrading my home cinema to make way for 2 channel audio upgrades. I was a happy camper until....

2011 KLIAV show. After a few years focussing on 2 channel audio, this year I leaped into the so called DTS MA and DD TrueHD. I purchased the Yamaha RXV 2067 after comparing it with Onkyo and Marantz. I wasnt in the mood to set up this beast as it weighs a bit compared to my 795 unit, so I had Desa guys to come and set it up the very same Saturday night.

All set up by 830 pm after 45 minutes of moving around my set up. Desa HT guys are very pleasant people to deal with. And clean as they make sure no mess was left behind. All joy from now right?

Nooooo.... My so called Sony flagship BD player from 2008 cannot send DTS MA signal via HDMI. Aaarrrgghhh...so still not manage to experience DTS MA.

The Desa guys set up my system manually by specifying the speaker size, distance and volume. I can immediately hear the refined sound from the new amp compared to my 795. Decent movie volume starts at -30 dB. However, my faithful Wharfedale SW15 subwoofer, sounds a bit out of the league at the moment.

A few days after that, I started to play around with the YPAO mic. Using the suggested tripod method, I let the system dictates the set up. I expected the sound to be unbalanced because the living room I have. There is a big void over the stairs on the left side of the room. Aaaaahhhh but I was wrong. Reading through the analysis results, it took into account that void area and compensated the 'volume loss' on the left speaker. However, I notice my right rear speaker was a tad softer thatn my left. I checked all cables (I was using a Gale speaker cable from 1998), swapped the rear speakers, maximise the right rear speaker volume and still, very low volume. So I suspected something faulty with that section of amplifier.

Called up Desa and they came by the next evening. Did the same checks I did and yield the same result. Low volume on right rear speaker. And then he suggested something. Change speaker cable. And voila, everything back to normal. Balanced volume between all speakers. Callibrated the room again using YPAO and now its even more refined.

But, I still have not experienced DTS MA. Sad. Cannot sleep every night. So started to do research for a player that is future proof for at least 3 to 4 years more. Ended up to choose between a Marantz Universal player 7006 and Oppo BDP 95EU. I auditioned the Marantz at a friend's place and the Oppo at CMY.

I ended up purchasing the Oppo as I got a good price and also a one-to-one exchange for the first year if anything goes wrong.

And finally after 3 weeks of purchasing the Yamaha 2067, i experienced DTS MA for the first time in my living room. And just a few days ago, experienced 7.1 DTS MA on POTC Strange Tides. Superb.

One feature I like of the YAMAHA is that I can bypass the unit (no need to turn it on) if I just want to have the sound coming out of the TV when watching ASTRO B.YOND. I LIKE.

One thing I have not fully set up is the subwoofer. I am not getting the same 'blend in' like I used to have from my previous amp. I did connect both left and right channel subwoofer out from the new amp compared to previous amp where it only bad one sub out. Maybe thats why.

Or maybe I need a new sub?

As for the Oppo, Its a fast loading machine with ability to stream movies from my NAS as well. Previously I was using my Samsung LED TV to do that but I dont get the audio to feed through my AV AMP.

Now, I can heheheh.

Overall, I feel this is a good combo between Yamaha and Oppo. Picture is crystal clear, sound quality is really engaging especially after the cable change and also YPAO callibration.

Need to work on the sub though.

Hopefully this time I can stay a happy camper for a longer time.

Part Deux

A little bit more on Oppo.

So yesterday I watched 2 movies. Los Angeles Battlefield and an old movie Twister.

The LA Battlefield came with MovieIQ and BD Live features. Both needed internet connection which the Oppo wifi dongle connected to my Unifi router with minimum fuss. My router is on the lower floor.

First the BDLive. Its mainly showing what other movies available based on various genres. Good trailers shown. Once the trailer is fully loaded, the streaming is flawless.

For the MovieIQ, its basically provides you with the following:

1. Facts of the movie, score, casts etc
2. Explanation about the scenes

Now, the number 2 item is very unique. The player will first connect the BD to the MovieIQ database over the net. Then it will give you a code where you can then use your iPhone, iPad or other Smartphone to be connected and synced to the BD. You first visit the website and key in the code provided and the same MovieIQ features on the TV is now shown on your phone. You can then go back to a full screen movie on the TV and use your phone to access MovieIQ. Neat.

Now for the movie experience.

Both movies were in 5.1 DTS MA. The battle scene in LA was really engaging where planes, bullets were flying around my living room. A clear experience can be felt when an airplane was flying from my rear right speaker to the lft front speaker. The best way to experience this is to close your eyes and just listen to the effects churnedout from the Oppo and Yamaha.

Vocals were very clear on the centre channel although once in a while, it gets drowned in the battle commotion noise.

Twister on the other provided me a world wind experience. I can feel when the twister was approaching from far ahead and towards the screen. Really uplifting compared to my Dolby Digital upscaled DVD.

However, there is a different in picture quality between an older movie upgraded to BD and a new movie released originally in BD.

Twister picture can be a bit grainy compared to LA Battlefield. But It was still clearer than the old DVD. I can see frackles on Helen Hunt's face hehehehe.

The remote on Oppo is well laid out and huge buttons with backlight. I like.

Now is the time for me to update the settings for my Logitech Harmony 1000i remote to incorporate the Yamaha and Oppo.

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review 6086753063_435628e395_z

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review 6087297292_7cec09726e_z

Last edited by elhefe on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 am; edited 3 times in total
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review Empty Re: Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review

Post by rasenthiran Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Bro,

Nice information regarding your setup.I have a question here,Dts-MA and Dts-Hd,is it the same??I have a Yamaha RXV 3067 with me and it comes with Dts-Hd.
rasenthiran
rasenthiran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2533
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Parasound Zdac/Marantz Cd 63 KI/Sony X505ES/
Amplification: Exposure Super 10/Classe DR-6/Sony TA N90ES/Sansui AU 777 /AU-719/Yamaha RXV-863 Receiver
Speakers: NHT Classic/Monitor Audio Studio 2/Heybrook HB 1

Back to top Go down

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review Empty Re: Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review

Post by elhefe Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

AFAIK Bro, its the same thing...DTS HD Master Audio.

rasenthiran wrote:Bro,

Nice information regarding your setup.I have a question here,Dts-MA and Dts-Hd,is it the same??I have a Yamaha RXV 3067 with me and it comes with Dts-Hd.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Eh brother,

I have only one word and three letters for you and your sub headache:

SVS.

Very strongly recommended.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by rasenthiran Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Hmm,Ok..,Thanks for the infoo,Bro how you know that you are getting dts-ma sound from your amplifier??Just wanna find out as i dont owned a blu ray player yet.Does the amp displays the sound format in the display??For example dts-es??or it will be displayed in the blu ray player lcd screen.
rasenthiran
rasenthiran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2533
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Parasound Zdac/Marantz Cd 63 KI/Sony X505ES/
Amplification: Exposure Super 10/Classe DR-6/Sony TA N90ES/Sansui AU 777 /AU-719/Yamaha RXV-863 Receiver
Speakers: NHT Classic/Monitor Audio Studio 2/Heybrook HB 1

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:10 pm

SVS vs Velodyne? thats the question for the week. Heheheh...

WongKN wrote:Eh brother,

I have only one word and three letters for you and your sub headache:

SVS.

Very strongly recommended.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Both also will display DTS-MA or something like that. The words on the LCD screen also so small on the Oppo. But on Yamaha is crystal clear.

rasenthiran wrote:Hmm,Ok..,Thanks for the infoo,Bro how you know that you are getting dts-ma sound from your amplifier??Just wanna find out as i dont owned a blu ray player yet.Does the amp displays the sound format in the display??For example dts-es??or it will be displayed in the blu ray player lcd screen.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 pm

This shall be the focus of this topic then. Velodyne or SVS ? Decisions, decisions.....
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:15 pm

elhefe,
At the rate you're reviewing and the fun you seem to be having, it won't be long if we get you more equipment/goodies to be reviewed. Keen?

Seriously, reading your topic here makes many of us think of the earlier days, when we were really short of dough and ogling/drooling over all the new stuff. If we can help make this hobby more fun, who's to stop us from doing so?

Looking for people willing to review some 2-channel & home theatre gear. Criteria is simple:

• Take care of the equipment, as though it were your own (or better).
  • Transfer your enthusiasm/fun to the reader.
  • Tell it as though it you are sharing your own journey with your readers, instead of prescribing or telling others what to do.
  • Take some nice pictures of your room, the stuff you're reviewing and associated gear.

We don't need absolute pros, just people who fit the criteria and avail yourselves of some time to write. Very Happy

Let's meet up soon!
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Elhefe,

In the meantime, I am more than happy to take your own equipment off your hands, while you are playing with other people's new toys. You know la, you must put the equipments properly in the rack to extract the best sound out of them and if you have too many equipments lying around, the home minister won't be too happy. lol!
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:30 pm

I will be honoured if one to trust in me doing reviews. My approach has always been about what sheer enjoyment (or the opposite) I get from listening to a new kit.

If there are anyone would like me to have a go with some kit, do drop me a line in my PM box.

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:elhefe,
At the rate you're reviewing and the fun you seem to be having, it won't be long if we get you more equipment/goodies to be reviewed. Keen?

Seriously, reading your topic here makes many of us think of the earlier days, when we were really short of dough and ogling/drooling over all the new stuff. If we can help make this hobby more fun, who's to stop us from doing so?

Looking for people willing to review some 2-channel & home theatre gear. Criteria is simple:

• Take care of the equipment, as though it were your own (or better).
  • Transfer your enthusiasm/fun to the reader.
  • Tell it as though it you are sharing your own journey with your readers, instead of prescribing or telling others what to do.
  • Take some nice pictures of your room, the stuff you're reviewing and associated gear.

We don't need absolute pros, just people who fit the criteria and avail yourselves of some time to write. Very Happy

Let's meet up soon!
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Already have a supporter for the review duties hehehehe.

WongKN wrote:Elhefe,

In the meantime, I am more than happy to take your own equipment off your hands, while you are playing with other people's new toys. You know la, you must put the equipments properly in the rack to extract the best sound out of them and if you have too many equipments lying around, the home minister won't be too happy. lol!
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 am

Had a nother go at the set up last night.

Added Part Deux in the original posting.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:24 am

Bro Elhefe,

Will we be seeing you at next Sat's H4S gathering, CMY Audio, Sunway Giza? Have something interesting to discuss...hehe.
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 am

Bro H4S,

Ok see u there. Should I bring any anti-poison potion?

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:Bro Elhefe,

Will we be seeing you at next Sat's H4S gathering, CMY Audio, Sunway Giza? Have something interesting to discuss...hehe.

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:52 am

elhefe wrote:
Bro H4S,

Ok see u there. Should I bring any anti-poison potion?

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:Bro Elhefe,

Don't bother...you will not be able to resist the forces of darkness. Razz
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:37 am

Elhefe,

Next sat you will be meeting face to face with the masters, grand-masters and the founding master of the art of poisoning themselves. You can try to believe you can survive of course.....

lol!
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:48 pm

elhefe..

so did you survive the poisoning by the masters and grand masters?? see the post been dead since sep 09 2011. Razz.

Just to share some of my own journey.. albeit, not being so back in time like elhefe, i had begun the journey with a multideck technics dolby prologic 5.1 system connected to 17 inch lcd screen Smile.. Slowly upgraded since then..that was 6 years ago..

As late as 2 months ago, i used to run an integrated avr with BD player. Both were NAD mid ends. the BD player setting me off in the region of RM 2XXX ( and i m talking about recent 3 months ago purchase) and the NAD AVR upper RM 4.XXX

I ALSO used to run, retail speakers..Now i m slowly moving into, custom made ones. At present had replaced my center channel with vifa+scans MTM model, and an 18 inch subwoofer with plate amp. Re-lining the pocket, to put in order for 16 drivers -each side of L/R channel..

I ALSO used to believe in the superiority of sound conveyed over by HDMI cable, going to the extend of purchasing 4 digit HDMI cables, only to live with temporary satisfaction, before starting to realize that the HDMI cable fails at certain aspects.. Recently started using dedicated RCA cables which delivered far superior sound then HDMI does (but of course 5 good RCA;s will set u off with a big dent).

I recently purchased an emotiva umc-1, connected to my integrated NAD amp (setting the volume max, to turn on analog bypass). Hence my integrated AVR is merely power amp. What my NAD lacked in sound, made up for its sheer big power rating.

I re-discovered the joy of home theater and music infact...simply said. And all by running with 5 analog rca cables Razz. I.e. letting the umc-1 do the processing of DTS-HD,MA,DOLBY TRUE HD, MASTER LOSLESS ane etc..and output the sound...

You may noticed the deliberate use of ALSO, it was intentional, albeit being grammartically wrong..

Elhefe - from someone who used to own a velodyne cht-12q - i was not happy with it, it was weak ( to a demanding listener who spends his weekends burning hours of electricity on BD movies) . Even in a 8ftx14ft closed room setting. But i was told DD series are pretty good.

cheers..

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Eventhough I was sick and couldn't disperse my own usually fatal dose of poison, Elhefe DID NOT survive. You should check the rest of this forum to find out what happened. There's one thing however, I have never seen a poisoned man who is so happy.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 am

ahahah....:p... must be new sub i guess Razz

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:32 am

cyclop62003 wrote:ahahah....:p... must be new sub i guess Razz

Not quite yet.....again have to put a hold on improving the HT as I have been sucked into the dark hole of the black disc...

I however, have just enjoyed the newly issued X-Men First Class...superb experience on the wharfedale sub today though.

Yamaha RXV 2067 and OPPO BDP 95-EU - Personal Review Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WillSmith Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 pm

elhefe wrote:
cyclop62003 wrote:ahahah....:p... must be new sub i guess Razz

Not quite yet.....again have to put a hold on improving the HT as I have been sucked into the dark hole of the black disc...

I however, have just enjoyed the newly issued X-Men First Class...superb experience on the wharfedale sub today though.

Big box and decent sized driver like the SVS yield deep bass but it lacks of slam and details. My own observation is that to have the definition with extension, looks for multiple smaller subs, ideally sealed, 10 - 12 inch unit but have multiple of them, says 4 to 8 units, stacked in 2 to max 3 carefully selected locations to avoid stand wave cancellation. Smaller drivers do better in converting the bass notes than the bigger one as their Q is usually higher but lack low end extension in absolute SPL term hence you need more of them to output some decent shaking bass.

Else if you've main speakers that can extend low to sub 30Hz, then you can use those bigger units for low down reinforcement but i'll still crossover all channels at 80Hz and let the subs do the job for movies and usually shut down the sub for musics.

Velodyne DD+ series are pretty good on its own but prior experience with the DD and confirmed by some as well is their difficulties in integrating into the system, ie. make them disappear. If you can locate the sub in between your fronts speakers or behind/beside the fronts, then all is well with Velodyne.

WillSmith
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2010-12-07

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down