Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Music Servers VS Excellent Transports?

+20
WongKK
david&david
adrian4454
wingman
joeling
jokiarch
elhefe
mugenfoo
cyh
WongKN
carz
sflam
dixchen
Wikin
DrWho
zeebee
tycham
VS126
bassraptor
shbehmal
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Empty Music Servers VS Excellent Transports?

Post by shbehmal Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 am

So fellows, what is your experience on the above?
I find that my cd player still sounds much better then my collection of hi rez. Wider and deeper soundstage, better high and low details. But then again my streamer are not the real high end one.

shbehmal
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Empty Re: Music Servers VS Excellent Transports?

Post by bassraptor Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 am

A bit like apples and oranges ... for a credible comparison, I reckon we should use the all-else-being-equal method as much as possible. Like same recordings but on different formats, same level of CD transport and music server. What is your comparison methodology? With servers/CAS/USB DACs, there are so many more things to factor in than a straightahead CD player or transport/DAC set-up ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1239
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Empty Re: Music Servers VS Excellent Transports?

Post by VS126 Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:53 am

Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Aurend16Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Aurend15Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Aurend14Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Aurend13Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Aurend12Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Aurend11

Try this:

Aurender S10

(Maybe you will change your mind)

Reference Quality Purpose Built For Audio.

From Web Site:
  • With the Aurender S10 you can start ripping and playing your CD’s immediately, without the need for a computer.
  • The Aurender S10 has 2 hard drives, a 2TB Hard-disk Drive (HDD) and a 64GB Solid-State Drive (SSD) which is much faster than a mechanical HDD.
  • Music is only played from the internal SSD. The internal HDD is automatically put to sleep mode while playing music, so the Aurender is essentially an all-solid-state device (no moving parts at all) when playing music. The Aurender smartly caches your recently played files, and also the songs in your playlist.
  • The Aurender server and iPad app are designed to be highly responsive when navigating your music collection, with the Aurender OS operating on the very fast SSD drive, and all music metadata being cached on the iPad, eliminating the need for constant back-and-forth communication between the server and iPad.
  • Clock accuracy is a key determinant of digital audio sound quality, and the OCXO clock used in the Aurender S10 is 10,000 to 100,000 times more accurate (and thus significantly less jitter) that the crystal oscillators found in most audio equipment.
  • On an average you can store 3 music CD albums in 1GB using lossless FLAC format. This means the Aurender S10 can hold about 6000 CDs worth of music!
  • There are 3 ways to get music into the Aurender – (1) Rip a CD automatically with an attached standard USB-powered CD drive (3) Plug in a USB storage device, and Aurender will automatically copy over music files (3) Full access from your PC/Mac to the Aurender’s internal HDD, as a standard SMB network server.
  • Many music file formats are supported, including FLAC, AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless, APE and MP3, up to 24-bit 192-kHz resolution.

• “Hands down my product of the [CAS 2011] show, and possibly product of the year, is WideaLab’s Aurender S10 music server.” – Chris Connaker, computeraudiophile.com

• Last edited by VS126 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional Info)
    VS126
    VS126
    Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640
    Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
    Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
    Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
    Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:17 am

Looks good, Vince ... how much will that cost, though? From S'pore?

bassraptor
    Admin
    Admin

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 am

USD5,700.00 b4 shipping and tax, including SSD and 2 T HHD but no IPad.

Have a unit coming my way soon. You can have a go when it is here.

It is on wait list, heard that most buyers are diehard vinyl kakis.

Cheers.
    VS126
    VS126

Character sheet
    Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 am

Whew! affraid

bassraptor
    Admin
    Admin

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:05 pm

I think another forum member here already have the S10.

Must have a listen at raindrop audio one of this day.
    tycham
    tycham
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
    Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
    Source(s): Digital
    Amplification: Solid State
    Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:17 pm

bassraptor wrote:Whew! affraid

And it is just a Transport.

But then when compared to RM100K plus CD transports....
    VS126
    VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:59 pm

VS126 wrote:USD5,700.00 b4 shipping and tax, including SSD and 2 T HHD but no IPad.

Have a unit coming my way soon. You can have a go when it is here.

It is on wait list, heard that most buyers are diehard vinyl kakis.

Cheers.

Bro,
    Hope I can tumpang listen once it's with you... Very Happy Twisted Evil
    zeebee
    zeebee
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:17 pm

With yr two Barrels pointing at me, How can I say no..

BTW, how is yr 37?
    VS126
    VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:53 pm

shbehmal wrote:So fellows, what is your experience on the above?
    I find that my cd player still sounds much better then my collection of hi rez. Wider and deeper soundstage, better high and low details. But then again my streamer are not the real high end one.

Like you I prefer the CD to my CAS. Even with RR 176.4 KHz files, I still prefer the 44.1 KHz CD.
    I am on my second CAS and yet without any success in achieving a SQ close to my CD transport.
    CAS is the future but it has still quite a distant to go. Just like the early days of CD.
    DrWho
    DrWho
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
    Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 pm

DrWho wrote:

Like you I prefer the CD to my CAS. Even with RR 176.4 KHz files, I still prefer the 44.1 KHz CD.
    I am on my second CAS and yet without any success in achieving a SQ close to my CD transport.
    CAS is the future but it has still quite a distant to go. Just like the early days of CD.

Perhaps the likes of Vince and Jo Ki can show you the way ...

bassraptor
    Admin
    Admin

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:47 pm

bassraptor wrote:

Before jumping the gun, of course Dr.Who needs to find out if both the gentlemen above can sing his tune first Smile

cheers
    Wikin
    Wikin
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
    Source(s): PC Audio
    Amplification: Tri Amping Active
    Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:16 pm

DrWho wrote:

Well said bro... resolution is one thing, sounding good or musical is another... not even close...

dixchen
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? C3e2d1d5_wyred4sound

Looks like Wyred4Sound had also jump onto the music server bandwagon.
    tycham
    tycham
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
    Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
    Source(s): Digital
    Amplification: Solid State
    Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Wikin wrote:
    bassraptor wrote:

Before jumping the gun, of course Dr.Who needs to find out if both the gentlemen above can sing his tune first Smile

cheers

This was what Joki had said on this subject which he posted in the HiFi 4 Sale Event thread.
    " While the subject topic deals with Computer Audio System, I belong to the few that do not believe in computer hardware could be made to do music well enough to replace my dedicated yet able CD player."

Whichever system having lesser jitter would have a better SQ, be it CAS or CD.
    DrWho
    DrWho
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

strange....
    i hv always felt cas sounded better than cd. ripped cd file sounded better than the cd played on cd player using the same dac.

sflam
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
    Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:18 pm

DrWho,

Depends on when Joki said that. I think he changed his mind after he acquired the Bryston.

carz
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Actually I think he changed his mind just recently, after he listened to a new CD player.
    WongKN
    WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Mind Your Own Business... MYOB
    and
    Make-up your own mind.... MYOM Smile

cheers
    Wikin
    Wikin
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
    Source(s): PC Audio
    Amplification: Tri Amping Active
    Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:33 pm

sflam wrote:strange....
    i hv always felt cas sounded better than cd. ripped cd file sounded better than the cd played on cd player using the same dac.

depends to what type of cd player you're referring to though..

dixchen
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:35 pm

I believe it is incorrect to summarize which system is better. It is peculiar to the system and setup. Your CAS could sound better than your CD, you are right I believe you and can accept that. In another setup the CD may sound better than the CAS. Mine is just the latter case. Wink
    Just for info I am using the Auraliti PK100 and Auraliti assisted Bryston to design their BDP1.

@carz,
    Joki posted his remark after he had his Bryston, just a few day before the HiFi4Sale CAS event.
    DrWho
    DrWho
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:18 pm

bassraptor wrote:A bit like apples and oranges ... for a credible comparison, I reckon we should use the all-else-being-equal method as much as possible. Like same recordings but on different formats, same level of CD transport and music server. What is your comparison methodology? With servers/CAS/USB DACs, there are so many more things to factor in than a straightahead CD player or transport/DAC set-up ...

The comparison that I have done is the "all else being equal" method as you mentioned, same DAC, same pre and power and same speaker. Same track of the same album but on different media, one being on cd and the other on 24/192 WAV format. The cds beats the hi rez hands down on all front, but I did put a few tweaks on the cd player thought, I change the fuse and put vibration isolation devise under the cd player.

vs126, please let me tumpang listen when your aurender arrives...

shbehmal
    Regular
    Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:24 pm

DrWho and WongKN,

What CD Player did Joki acquired that now bettered the Bryston ? Was it the TAD600 Shocked Shocked

carz
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cyh Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Hey Vs126,
    When your S10 arrives can accommodate a guy from NS?
    Regards
    cyh
    cyh
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 pm

perhaps you do indeed have golden ears!
    Razz
    mugenfoo
    mugenfoo
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
    Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
    Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
    Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Hhhhmmmm the never ending debate of which format is better.

The answer to me will always be NEITHER. My believe is always different format gives DIFFERENT sound.

In my set up, not all the time CD is better than hi rez....and vice versa...heck...not all the time LP is better than CD and hi rez too...

All of them just sound DIFFERENT between each other.

Music Servers VS Excellent Transports? Whatsa11
    elhefe
    elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
    Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
    Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
    Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
    Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:10 pm

From the web site:

With today's technology, clock and signal jitter can be lowered to a
    point where their effects are negligible.

Ordinary crystal oscillators
    have an accuracy of 10-4 to 10-5.

Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillators (TCXO) have an accuracy of 10-6.
    Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillators have an accuracy of 10-7 to 10-8.

The next higher performance oscillators are based on Rubidium or Cesium
    and are used to make atomic clocks.

OCXO clocks are 10,000 to 100,000
    times more accurate than ordinary crystal clocks and the sound quality
    difference is very noticeable.

In the Aurender S10, an OCXO clock and
    proprietary reclocking with Field-programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) are
    combined to ensure virtual jitter free performance and superb audio
    performance.

The Aurender Music System is fanless to eliminate
    vibrations, unwanted electromagnetic fields and noise emanating from the
    fan.

Solid State Drives, which have no moving parts, are used to avoid
    vibrations, electromagnetic interference, and latency found in hard disk
    drives.

The use of solid-state drives vastly lowers processor access
    times.

During playback, selections are automatically cached using
    proprietary technology from the hard disk to the Solid State Drive.

The
    hard disk then falls asleep and the music is played back using only the
    solid state drive.

This design eliminates problems with sonic and
    electromagnetic noise from spinning hard disk drives.
    VS126
    VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:20 pm

bassraptor wrote:

No BR

I am no Guru. Just a music lover.

I will leave that to our Famed Guru JoKi.
    VS126
    VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:20 pm

DrWho wrote:

I believe it is incorrect to summarize which system is better. It is peculiar to the system and setup. Your CAS could sound better than your CD, you are right I believe you and can accept that. In another setup the CD may sound better than the CAS. Mine is just the latter case. Wink
    Just for info I am using the Auraliti PK100 and Auraliti assisted Bryston to design their BDP1.

@carz,
    Joki posted his remark after he had his Bryston, just a few day before the HiFi4Sale CAS event.
    Hi Dr. and HF4S members,

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my last statement...

I do not believe using computer CPU, laptop and/or Mini Mac for CAS streaming is fit for audiophile standard eventhough it is capable enough to "decode" music files in whatsoever guise. This is what I was saying bluntly and concisely. So, no beating around the bush and guess what I was trying to imply.

Those who are using the aforementioned method to handle your CAS, please pre-qualify your statement especially in comparing the two formats on the machine used. It is not doing justice to CAS when you are using computer equipment for the job; no matter what and how you tweak them. A truck is always a truck, meant to carry goods. Since some of you are using your computer machine/laptop to stream CAS, why don't you use the built-in CDrom to play your CD? That would be more fair. Do you think we should be talking about the audio fidelity as such?

In my system, my 47 Labs Flatfish, used as transport, failed to beat my Byston BDP-1; both of them are fed through my Bryston BDA-1 dac, both using the CD and the same is ripped in 16x44.1 stored in the same HDD I use during the CAS meeting at CMY+all the best tweaks I have. Is my 47 Labs an inferior cd player? May be? But do a Google what is its feat perhaps.

Yes, you are right, I also heard TAD600 CD player in my system not very long ago, and that player sounded better than my BDP-1+BDA-1 but do Google their costs. Having said that, both playback systems reproduced very similar sonic characters with TAD produces better image density giving music a touch more conviction.

I have no doubt that laptop or Mini-Mac can do CAS well, and like most of you clarified here before me, they offers the easiest and cheapest insight into CAS and laid the initial path and get the first taste into this format. Until it is mature enough then you jump in is wise! Whilst I respect and recognise such measure, BUT then to make sonic comparison between both formats using incomparable equipments, cannot hold water.

I am not at war to anyone, all of you are entitle to your opinion and free to use your computer to stream CAS, if CAS is inferior, so be it, and CD is terrible, I also own one. We are in it together whichever win or whatever loose.

Vince, I am no Guru also. But by what you wrote, which I do not know, you deserve to be a Guru.
    jokiarch
    jokiarch
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Actually the topic of this thread has been debated many times before. And it is clear it will continue to be debate many times in the future.

Before you guys progress further, I suggest that you guys come to an agreement on the definition of CAS. I.e. exactly what constitutes CAS digital playback. I think I can see different takes on this in this thread.
    WongKN
    WongKN

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:26 pm

all also are just "MM" with digital toys...
    mugenfoo
    mugenfoo
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:42 pm

WongKN wrote:Actually the topic of this thread has been debated many times before. And it is clear it will continue to be debate many times in the future.

Before you guys progress further, I suggest that you guys come to an agreement on the definition of CAS. I.e. exactly what constitutes CAS digital playback. I think I can see different takes on this in this thread.

Isnt it self explanatory ? CAS is COMPUTER audio system. so it must be running on a computer. if no computer is involved e.g. digital files on hard disk + digital player, then its not CAS.

elhefe
    elhefe

Character sheet
    Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
    Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:46 pm

>>>>Yes, you are right, I also heard TAD600 CD player in my system not very long ago, and that player sounded better than my BDP-1+BDA-1 but do Google their costs. Having said that, both playback systems reproduced very similar sonic characters with TAD produces better image density giving music a touch more conviction. <<<<

Joki,

Did you try connecting the TAD600 (using it as a CD transport) to the BDA-1 ? And connecting the BDP-1 to the TAD600 (using it as a DAC) ? Was wondering if it was the TAD600 Transport section OR DAC section that won the day ?

carz
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:06 am

Isnt it self explanatory ? CAS is COMPUTER audio system. so it must be
    running on a computer. if no computer is involved e.g. digital files on
    hard disk + digital player, then its not CAS.

So then, is the Aurander, or your CliC, or the BDP-1 into a DAC CAS or not CAS ?
    WongKN
    WongKN

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:08 am

Bryston , Aurender .... they all use some form of embedded Linux.

Ask any OS aficionado, and they'll tell you that u can pretty much use the same OS to run custom programs and routines to control anything from a microwave oven cooking profile to an ICBM guidance algorithm.

And to run Linux, the hardware itself is pretty much a "Computer" already. And i'm guessing that how the Aurender connects to the HDDs and SSDs are via SATA. So the Aurender hardware pretty much has all the same controller ships as in a laptop or desktop motherboard.

Maybe someone can take a snapshot of the Aurender innards to reveal either an Intel or AMD CPU inside ?

Either way ... LINUX ROCKS ! hahahaha....
    mugenfoo
    mugenfoo
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:24 am

wongkn wrote:

cas has been defined as
    1) computer audio system
    2) computer as source
    3) computer audio source

the word 'computer' appears in all three definitions that i found in the net. so i suppose cas has to be computer (or laptop) based.

the problem is that many digital music players/streamers/servers use modified computer mother boards for e.g. the bryston. so are they considered 'computers'?

sflam
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:30 am

Personally, I think the distinction is the way the music content is stored. Broadly looking at it, music is stored in CDs & CD players are used to play them. Digital files of various formats & resolution are stored in different medium be they solid state or spinning HDD or other means & play through players like streamers, CAS etc. Of course within the subset of the these digital file players, there are many different configurations & the way digits become music through speakers. So I would say that these belong to the same group although they are quite different from one another, just more similar when compared to a CD spinner. Make sense ?
    joeling
    joeling
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
    Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
    Amplification: ARC
    Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:06 am

'digital music' includes cd, cas and streamers/servers. so it is an 'umbrella' term.

beneath it are the 'branches' - cd and cas.

if the distinction is the way music content is stored, then 'cd source' can be defined as files stored in optical media. this includes cd, cd-r, cd-rw, hdcd, sacd and dvd-a.

then cas can be defined as digital music players playing file formats such as mp3, aac, aiff, flac, wav, apple lossless, etc, stored in non-optical media such as hard disks or solid-state memory or thumb drives or sd cards. thus cas defined this way would include pc, laptop, notebook, streamers, servers, digital music players, etc.

the operative words are 'optical storage' and 'non-optical storage'
    makes sense?

sflam
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:33 am

WongKN wrote:Isnt it self explanatory ? CAS is COMPUTER audio system. so it must be
    running on a computer. if no computer is involved e.g. digital files on
    hard disk + digital player, then its not CAS.

So then, is the Aurander, or your CliC, or the BDP-1 into a DAC CAS or not CAS ?

For the sake of not to confuse the laymen, when one ask me whether Bryston, CLiC etc are CAS based, my answer is no.

I prefer to stick to CAS to be music played from a computer...physically a computer with keyboard, mouse, Windows, Leopard, Microsoft Word,iTunes, Windows Media player, INternet Explorer... etc...and not talking about processor inside the Bryston, CLiC etc is still running on some sort of 'computer' program or platform.

Thats me though....in fact is not to confuse the laymen. Its actually not to confuse myself.

CAS = played by a program (iTunes, Foobar, Winamp etc)on a computer

Non-CAS = played by the the streamer itself (Bryston, CLiC etc)

elhefe
    elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:48 am

"Whichever system having lesser jitter would have a better SQ, be it CAS or CD." By Dr Who.

Fully agreed with the above statement, but sometimes I think it has to do with the quality of the source recording also. Some studio master sounds down right awful.
    Before I did my tweaks, the streamer sounds better then the cd player, only the xrcd playing on my cd player is comparable to my hirez, but after I change the fuse of my cd player to hifituning one and put Symposium rollerblocks under the cd player, it totally transform into a different beast and I never look back from that point on.
    Anyone tried the above tweaks before and what are your experiences?

shbehmal
    Regular
    Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:19 am

shbehmal wrote:" but after I change the fuse of my cd player to hifituning one and put Symposium rollerblocks under the cd player, it totally transform into a different beast and I never look back from that point on.

SHB...

Similar tweak, but mine was a tweaked out by placing "squash ball's"...it definetly transformed the SQ. They are held in place 10/20 cent size washers. The balls are not cut into half's.

There is much clarity on the instruments that are being played, especially the smallers bits of the music, vocals sound much firm and solid. All in all better separation.

Other then that no experience in CAS or Non CAS, the max i have ventured was playing MP3 songs via MP3 player via RCA / USB via DAC. Will explore someday but for now just enjoying my current setup....Very Happy

where and how much was the rollerblocks ?

cheers Very Happy
    wingman
    wingman
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
    Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 am

Good supports can make a big difference. A few of us have elicited excellent results from the MS Elite magnetic supports. I have yet to mess with fuses.

Btw, my non-CD digital path is streamer-based.

- CDs ripped to non-compressed FLAC using dBpoweramp.

- Files transferred to NAS (a QNAP running 2 x 2TB Western Digital hard disks in mirrored config).

- NAS streamed to Ethernet port of Linn Majik DS digital streamer, controlled via Linn's Kinsky software on iPad.

- I use an Ayon CD-1s tubed CD player, which has 16/44.1 and 24/192 modes.

- The Majik on its own is fabulous, but performance is upped a few notches when I route its digital output into the digital input of the Ayon. So much so, I can hardly tell the difference between streamer and CD player!

- I've also used the streamer with the Bryston DAC with excellent
    results, but that's too expensive for now ... waiting for the dedicated
    Audiolab DAC, if it comes out!

A year ago, I was messing about with iTunes/mediamonkey on my laptop,
    via a cheaper USB cable and DAC, didn't do much for me, apart from the
    endless hours of music on tap!

Am also quite impressed by the Bryston BDA-1 ... less of a hassle to set
    up than a NAS. I would say my streamer/audio player adventures are only
    beginning ... importantly, I'm keeping an open mind.

For a physical and mental work-out, I still fiddle with the turntable to see how far it can go ... Razz

bassraptor
    Admin
    Admin

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 am

wingman wrote:
    shbehmal wrote:" but after I change the fuse of my cd player to hifituning one and put Symposium rollerblocks under the cd player, it totally transform into a different beast and I never look back from that point on.

SHB...

Similar tweak, but mine was a tweaked out by placing "squash ball's"...it definetly transformed the SQ. They are held in place 10/20 cent size washers. The balls are not cut into half's.

There is much clarity on the instruments that are being played, especially the smallers bits of the music, vocals sound much firm and solid. All in all better separation.

Other then that no experience in CAS or Non CAS, the max i have ventured was playing MP3 songs via MP3 player via RCA / USB via DAC. Will explore someday but for now just enjoying my current setup....Very Happy

where and how much was the rollerblocks ?

cheers Very Happy

As of now, still no authorize dealer in Malaysia or Singapore, so I bought direct from US.
    The rollerblock junior is USD 169 set of three, I put them under my speakers. The rollerblock series 2+ is USD 399 but the best is the roller block series 2+ with grade 3 super ball, it is USD 599 set of three, they provide the leanest and smoothest sound with the most quite back ground, I put them under my cd player. I think they are well worth the investment, as you put each set under your components, they back ground become more and more quite and focus on high and lows increases with each addition. I also bought a piece of 14 x 19 svelte shelf, but the improvement is minimal, may be not worth investing, but beware, there are some chinese made imitation on the market, if the price is cheap you might get fakes instead of genuine ones. They also inform me they are going to hook up with a Singapore base dealer soon.

shbehmal
    Regular
    Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:58 am

bassraptor wrote:Good supports can make a big difference. A few of us have elicited excellent results from the MS Elite magnetic supports. I have yet to mess with fuses.

- Files transferred to NAS (a QNAP running 2 x 2TB Western Digital hard disks in mirrored config).

- NAS streamed to Ethernet port of Linn Majik DS digital streamer, controlled via Linn's Kinsky software on iPad.

- The Majik on its own is fabulous, but performance is upped a few notches when I route its digital output into the digital input of the Ayon. So much so, I can hardly tell the difference between streamer and CD player!

For a physical and mental work-out, I still fiddle with the turntable to see how far it can go ... Razz

I think you should try out the fuse, you will get significant improvement from it and each only cost RM 250++. In terms of value for money, I think it is a sound investment.

Now I am sure my china made streamer is the main problem, because both cd player and streamer are fed to my W4S DAC2 but the difference is just night and day.

Got to wait and see how vince's Aurender perform.....

Cheers Very Happy

shbehmal
    Regular
    Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 am

shbehmal wrote:"Whichever system having lesser jitter would have a better SQ, be it CAS or CD." By Dr Who.

Fully agreed with the above statement, but sometimes I think it has to do with the quality of the source recording also. Some studio master sounds down right awful.
    Before I did my tweaks, the streamer sounds better then the cd player, only the xrcd playing on my cd player is comparable to my hirez, but after I change the fuse of my cd player to hifituning one and put Symposium rollerblocks under the cd player, it totally transform into a different beast and I never look back from that point on.

The significance of HiRes medium is proportionate to the amount of jitter in a system. Layman language: In a system with less jitter, the HiRes medium becomes less significant.
    If your CD player/transport does not have a power supply filter, replacing your IEC socket with a Schiffner IEC filter would have similar effect like the HiFI Tunning fuse. There are many ways to reduce jitter in a digital system.

DrWho
    DrWho
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 am

elhefe wrote:
    WongKN wrote:Actually the topic of this thread has been debated many times before. And it is clear it will continue to be debate many times in the future.

Isnt it self explanatory ? CAS is COMPUTER audio system. so it must be running on a computer. if no computer is involved e.g. digital files on hard disk + digital player, then its not CAS.

Good point! Perhaps we should all rephrase it and substitute "CAS" to digital music files playback system?

The giss of the matter is the digital music file stored in hard disc or flash drive; not about the computer irrespective of whatever name it is...
    jokiarch
    jokiarch
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 am

bassraptor wrote:Good supports can make a big difference. A few of us have elicited excellent results from the MS Elite magnetic supports. I have yet to mess with fuses.

Bass...

As you have said rightly....the MP3 setup was there for endless hours of music on tap without any spices...Crying or Very sad

Good to know that your "Majik" is working magically for your streaming duties. To me at least there are tried and tested methods to derive every ounce of juice from either the CAS or Non CAS method.

I believe that pricing is a factor that not many have ventured into this realm and if they do the "China" made products would cover the GAP.

That gives a newbie like me a road map to explore. Thanks.

Giving me the early itch to explore....should i scratch .....hmmmm;) study

Cheers Very Happy
    wingman
    wingman
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
    Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
    Source(s):
    Amplification:
    Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:39 am

shbehmal wrote:"Whichever system having lesser jitter would have a better SQ, be it CAS or CD." By Dr Who.

The major enemy of cd players, jitter and nothing but jitter. If anything cd players of the past are even better engineered and constructed than today's overpriced and over reviewed units. Sony' s CDP series built and engineered in the 80's and early 90's were engineering marvel pieces but the use of cheap crystal oscillators for clocking and the FET output buffering stage ( for best looking and measured signal waveform ) does more harm than anything to the sound from them thus always criticised to be very mechanical and digital sounding. Careful reconstruction and bypassing of these ( purist approach ) yields one of the best sounding player's ever built.

Changing the fuse does make that significant change , everything seems to be brought out more but as many as I bought years ago playing with these tweaks, I eventually took it out as it was inducing fatigue bringing out too much of everything thus being un natural. Significant if one's system is high in resolution.

In any case all digital formats ( be it cds or CAS ) irregardless of sampling rate levels and price, are inherently flawed if compared to a properly setup vinyl source.( music sources were analogue to begin with ) You'll be surprised how a lot of instruments played out there in actual can be easily reproduced accurately by vinyl but altered significantly when listening to digital, doesn't matter how good the remastering was. IMHO

I know its off topic in this thread but I dropped digital ( at its best , for me that is ) as soon as I heard a good vinyl even at the expense of inconvenience ( hassle of flipping records and not having a remote Mad)

Back to the topic, CAS or Cd transports, which the better, well depends, to know one gotta compare a fully stripped out fully dedicated music server unit ( no SSD's in here please ) with a fully decked out modified ultra low jitter cd transport and see which is better, and I pick the latter for musicality. Cool

I can tell you this much that too much accuracy translates into clinicality as well.. go figure Laughing

dixchen
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 am

CAS = Computer Also Sing~~ haha

IMO, Nothing more than just another method of carrying the audio media.. for better convenient sake. We are just splitting hair here to define which is better. LP better than SACD? I seem harder to justify nowadays.

We should look at it as which media suite us, or suite our laziness?? Each of the purposely build source will have no doubt give us great pleasure of music reproduction, be it a disc transport, Media transport, CAS, or the ancient "table turner" Smile, also the one that has been very much neglected Radio receiver.

Those that own more than 1 source is similar like those who enjoy polygamy~ vietnam wife, Japanese wife, Indian Wife, European ..haha. me included, as I have CD, LP, and also Receiver ... Haven't we man ever satisfied with just 1? (Just for laugh only ok Smile)

adrian4454
    Frequent Contributor
    Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
    Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next