Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Moving Coil step up transformers

3 posters

Go down

Moving Coil step up transformers Empty Moving Coil step up transformers

Post by cmboy Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Right. I'm starting a discussion thread on Moving coil transformers.

To me, this is an alternative route for anyone primarily using MC cartridges. The SUT is a voltage amplication device widely used for microphones and studio preamplifiers. Various cartridge manufacturers have produced their own version of SUT and added them to their range of TT related products. A lot of them have turned up on the used market and found at forums and auction sites. I'm guessing that the SUT haven't quite caught up with lots of TT owners yet but with great discussion and introduction, the SUT can become the next logical alternative or upgrade in place of an existing MC phono stage OR it's a great choice for a MC head amp for any phono stage thats void of MC input capability.

I recently built up a pair of Cinemag 3440A SUT. This is new production hand manufactured a company started of by the son (late) of an OEM transformer manufacturer who supplied transformers for Altec studio and pro music equipment. Their products was then known as Altec-Peerless. The 3440A is revived product of the discovered Altec Peerless 4722 microphone transformer by TT affeciandos. The Cinemag is a dual primary winding and can have 2 winding ratios at 2 different impedance match of 32ohms and 150ohms. Of course someone can always further tweak them with loading resistors (at secondary winding) to tune the impedance match of their cartridges and the resultant sound.

The sound? I'm bowled over what these little cans are capable of. I'm so impressed with them that for weeks now, I stand still in amazement everytime I drop that needle onto the LP. The sound quality that was produced just blew my previous MC stage away and told me there's no turning back. I'm hearing things what many MC capable phono stages that have crossed my path over the years aren't close to the musicality and a more natural presentation that these reasonably priced cans give out. From recent A-B comparison with some budget phono's, adding the SUT into its equation simply lifted the performance of that budget phono as if it sounded multiple times its value.

I've just acquired another pair of SUT's. This time its a pair of Beyer Dynamics with 2 primary windings. I may acquire more samples in good time just for deeper experience with these thingys. I find them more fun than electronic stages.

OK, so much being said for now. Anyone else having resident SUT's and using them as a primary head amp. Do share your experience.

My little prototype jewelbox:

Moving Coil step up transformers 12112010

Last edited by cmboy on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Moving Coil step up transformers Empty Re: Moving Coil step up transformers

Post by CT-Boy Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:27 pm

I was in KL, Jalan Pasar to be exact getting some usual stuffs for my son's school project. Did asked around for a mic transformer.. can't find one. I guess ebay is the next choice?
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:41 pm

I honestly don't think Pasar Rd have anything similar to these. Step up transformers are actually specialized products and they're specified for wide, flat frequency response along with useable primary and secondary impedance that suit MC cartridges or microphones. These thingys can't be equated with other kinds of electrical transformers for other purposes although some fundamentals and operating principles maybe similar. These thingys have everything to do with processing the minute audio signal at the initial source. Though it may look easy to build up it can be a painful experience for some. The earth routing and shielding is of utmost importance, don't want to end up with something that hums or hiss.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:00 pm

You get yours locally? Wink
Maybe not... hehe
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Bro may I know where did you source the casing that you used for your sut? Just got a pair of Harmon kardon xt 3's and waiting for more other to arrive, need to source for a suitable casing. Yours look the right size.

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:44 pm

I think I have a similar casing that I used for my DIYed phono preamp. That is available from the vicinity of Jalan Pasar! Very Happy

It was from NIXIE. RM26.00

Moving Coil step up transformers Vsps10[/url]

Last edited by CT-Boy on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more info.)
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Useable and not entirely perfect. I'm still looking out for something more sophisticated and grander. Thats why mine remains a prototype and a test base. Had thought of a custom one that resembles a Linn LP12 plinth.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:17 am

CT-Boy wrote:I think I have a similar casing that I used for my DIYed phono preamp. That is available from the vicinity of Jalan Pasar! Very Happy

It was from NIXIE. RM26.00

Moving Coil step up transformers Vsps10[/url]

Thanks! Very Happy

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:55 pm

There's better high qualityl chassis cases made by Hammond CA, can be bought through Element 14. Its not cheap though.

BTW, its never recommened to use multimeters to measure the terminals which DC voltage may cause undue damage or permanently magnetizing the core. If any test required, it must be done with a audio signal generator and oscilloscope.

Last but not least, those 2 instruments would be useful to correctly phase the windings to ensure you get optimum performance.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:13 pm

cmboy, thank you for the tips! I would naturally use the multimeter for that purpose! Make sense though as the voltage/current used by the multimeter may be higher than the microvolts working voltage of the SUT. Very Happy
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down