Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

KLAVS 'Commemorative CD'

+3
wingman
WongKN
7 posters

Go down

KLAVS 'Commemorative CD' Empty KLAVS 'Commemorative CD'

Post by WongKN Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 am

KLAVS 'Commemorative CD' Klavsc11

Earlier today my friend JoKi passed me a copy of this year's KLAVS 'Commemorative CD' for me to enjoy. Like last year, Jo is also responsible for this year's music selection for the CD. This year however, the mastering is done in the U.S., Jo sending the master digital files over to the US for re-mastering for this CD.

Sound quality-wise, I have high regards for this year's CD and music selection-wise, this year's CD is also very good, influenced by it being more in-line with my musical taste. I like quite a number of the tracks on the CD and IMHO, Jo did an incredible job in sourcing for and compiling the tracks.

There is a good mix of music on the CD, suitable for a very wide variety of tastes including some classical chinese instruments, classical and also more 'modern' music.

Of particular mention for me will be track no 10 which is a nice cover version of the old favourite "Chapel of Love" from Linn Records to the  particularly outstanding last track no. 15 which is from the recently release Reference Recordings 'Mastercut' album RR70, Rimsky Korsakov's Dance of the Tumblers, a highly regarded audiophile classical issue and now available for free, one piece anyway, on our very own KLAVS commemorative CD. If anything, the price for the show ticket is more than returned for by this commemorative CD alone.

Well done Jo and the KLAVS show organisers !

(note: my apologies for the lousy quality of the CD photo above as I don't have my cameras handy so I just snapped it using my iPhone. Didn't expect it to turn out so grainy).
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

KLAVS 'Commemorative CD' Empty Re: KLAVS 'Commemorative CD'

Post by WongKN Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:43 am

The font size used for the CD is rather small, quite a bit too small for many people but here is the track listing. Hope I didn't make any spelling mistakes.

1. Autumn Leaves from Audiophile Prologue 1, Fung Hang Records Ltd,

2. Amour M'est Au Cuer Entre from Out of Time and Country, MA Recordings.

3. Cello Suite 3, JS Bach by Martin Zeller from 6 Suites Cello, MA Recordings.

4. Tomorrow by Woong San/Tommorrow, Interglobal IGMI

5. El Portenito by Sera Una Noche/La Segunda, MA Recordings.

6. Birmingham Jail by Sheila Jordan/Voices, MA Recordings.

7. Wisdom of Empty City from Three Kingdom, Rhymoi Music (Chinese classical instruments)

8. John Henry by Cecile McLorin Salvant/Woman Child, Mack Avenue.

9. Classical chinese piece (I didn't have the time to type the chinese words), Rhymoi Music.

10. Chapel of Love from Girl Talk/Girl Talk, Linn Records.

11. I'm All Smiles by Ravid Goldschmidt & Silvia Perez Cruz/Llama, MA Recordings.

12. Sonata Graz No. 3 for Violin Continuo in D RV II Allegro, Antonio Vivaldi, by La Serenissima, Linn Records.

13. Chitlins & Gefiltefis by Christian McBride/Conversations with Christian, Mack Avenue.

14. Echoes of Love by Omar Akram/Echoes of Love, Real Music.

15. Rimsky-Korsakov, Dance of the Tumblers by Eiji Oue/Exotic Dances from the Opera/Minnesota Orchestra, Reference Recordings.

The re-mastering is by U.S. mastering engineer Alan Maher.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:36 am

Hi...

Been a while....Wong...good to read your review. What is the criteria to get the Cd''s...purchasing KLAV entrance ticket's or it's sold separately ?

Hat's of to cheers  "Jo"  cheers for the exceptional effort in getting the commerotative cd's in print and to the KLAV organizers.

Sadly  Crying or Very sad  missed last year's due to commitments....will make every  Very Happy Very Happy  effort to make this years KLAV.

Echoes of Love by Omar Akram....is sunny 

cheers...
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by 77006688 Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:15 am

Very Happy Hope the organiser had prepared enough CDs. This cd is getting popular discussed among audiophiles from Malaysia and Singapore.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-08-30

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:44 am

Hi wingman! The CD is not for sale and given as a 'door gift' for all visitors who buy a ticket. Those with 'free' tickets (ie complimentary tickets) will not get one however, only those who bought. Given the sound quality of this year's CD, it would typically cost around 40 at least so it more than covers the cost of the ticket.

I will check with Jo on how many CDs they made this year but I am pretty sure it would be around number of visitors last year plus probably 10%.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 am

Update: they made 10,000 CDs excluding those given to exhibitors , media, etc, I assume. So it is 'while stocks last'.

Last edited by WongKN on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct statement from until to while stocks last)
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zenguan Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Wah uncle Wong, long time no see ah;

So diligent to recommend uncle Jo's cd..ah Very Happy

zenguan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:39 pm

07.05.2013Actually I have always been around. But as elhelfe has been doing such a stellar job, I never had a need to do anything. The forum has been quite quiet also. Then Jo passed me the CD so it is just the nice 'excuse' to write this, Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Wongkn....cheers
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi Wong, indeed it has been a long long time. U know in this digital age, a year is like a decade. Welcome back.
Yes, no doubt the cd is a stellar effort. Thanks to all, n of course our one n only Jo Ki.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ritzzuan Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:47 am

The cd is superb and I love it !!

ritzzuan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2011-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 am

This year I became a little more of a participant than an attendee so instead of  writing about my experience from the show, I will just list down some of the interesting trivia.

1. Last year it was 3D. Within a short 1 year, the new thing this year is already '4K' also called 'Ultra HD' or UHD. 4K is the new resolution which is 'double on double' over FullHD. I.e. FullHD is 1920 X 1080, 4K is double the resolution on both planes, i.e. 3840 X 2160. Right at the end of the ballroom where you enter the show and just before the lift to 8floor, Sony is showing off their new 4K TV and there is a huge 85" 4K TV displayed outside the room.

2. For those who know him, Adrian Wong (Audio Image/Sound Concepts) is back after years of absence. He is in room 8009 demo-ing DPS turntable (with Benz Micro Ruby cartridge), Burmester CD player, Music Center and integrated amp, and Magico S1 speakers.

3. JoKi wears a bow tie this year.

4. Loh brothers (Maxx Trading) is in room 8032 and is demo-ing a full SVS speakers setup with an affordable projector. Also the their new AntiMode room EQ processor.

5. The Focal speaker you see on the back of the show 'commemorative CD' is on demo in the Ong radio room on the 4th floor. It is brand new but should start to sound good today after two solid days of running in (i.e. should be hitting 20 or 30 hours today). Of course still not fully run in yet.

6. Though not as many as some of the previous years, there are still some interesting new things in this year's show, spread out amongst the floors. Make sure you check every room out.

7. Music buying spree ! Lots of new records reissued this year. Make sure you bring lots of cash because some booth like the Interglobal booth on 4th floor does not accept credit card. And they carry things you cannot find elsewhere as they are the official distributor for big labels like Universal music.

8. For those who like her, the legendary Cai Qin/Tsai Chin 2007 concert in Hong Kong which the BluRay was the rave just a few years ago, is now out in records ! Double LP containing all the songs. Only available in the Interglobal stall on 4th floor. Not sure if any still available though.

That's it. Hope you enjoy the show if you are attending this year.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 am

A bit more: 

9. Kenny (HiWay Laser) has a few rooms this year, like previously. His rooms are right on the right wing 8floor when you get out off the lift. Note that the last room 'new wave records' is also Kenny's technically (belongs to his brother). Lots of titles not available fr other dealers esp chinese and special pressings eg picture discs. 

10. Rajah, whose prices are one of the best in the show is on 4th floor at the end of one of the wings. Yesterday he offered additional 10% discount off some titles.

11. Other records and CD dealers are im their usual places on 4th floor. Permanent residents already. Very Happy 

12. Don't forger the big CMY room on 4th floor also has used records for sale. 

13. Lots of headphones and earphones on display this year (a friend went hunting for them so I know).

14. AV Designs showing fullHD vs 4K projectors so if you curious and interested like me, make sure you attend the demo. As their usual standard, their fullHD picture quality can catch you by surprise making you think it is 4K ! Ask for Jeff Ho is you want someone to ask details.

15. The new TAD bookshelf is on display on 4th floor by Dick Tan's brother. Worth visiting.

16. Brodman speakers at Asia Sound is worth checking out. Designed and made by the same piano manufacturer. Dont check their prices, just enjoy their sound. Make accomodation for how they are demo'ed. Hahaha.

16. The array speaker on 8th or 7th floor are worth checking out. I think locally made to specifications. Nice price for such a large speaker.
17. Good offer for bluray in several places. I got my Star Trek TOS box set at less than half price. I bought mine from 4th floor just before the exit. Follow the sounds of the two young girls singing karaoke. Actually one of them is quite good (I am referring to her singing Very Happy ).

Disclaimer: rooms not mentioned does NOT signify anything. All of them worth visiting. In any case you already paid for the ticket mah!
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh, that was Adrian Wong... He was very accommodating. He said the music center by burmester is cheaper at rm90k compare to the single purpose CD player. For that moment of time, I felt ok about because it has been the range where hi end is now.
Now when I think of it, I feel grateful that he did play my disc n take the trouble to find the ripped version fr the ultra expensive equipment.

Welcome back WongKN!

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by cyrus2 Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm

To mr.JO KI thanks for a great cd...

cheers bro Smile Smile Smile

cyrus2