Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Power cords and its use

+22
zeebee
jokiarch
KenZen
adrian4454
car o scope
CT-Boy
VS126
htkaki
123_rocketman
bassraptor
noodle88
dheensay
bimmerman
elhefe
WongKN
dlyz
thegoodarcher
mugenfoo
tycham
wingman
bal
chua55
26 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Power cords and its use - Page 4 Empty Re: Power cords and its use

Post by htkaki Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:48 am

maybe WongKN can help him here since his plaster ceiling suffers the same fate when he watch movies.
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:50 am

mugenfoo wrote:
123_rocketman wrote:And one more thing, I dont have boomy bass in my living hall, but my plaster ceiling rattles when I play Stop This World by Diana Krall. Very Happy

Perhaps someone should come out with a song Stop This S**t ? Twisted Evil

u can try adding poles to "brace" the plaster ceiling from vibrating ...
like those used for pole-dancing (, ok lah, no need such strong ones lah). Who knows, u can also get some "extra" form of entertainment from those poles as well.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mugen, demo please? I believe we wont be short of audience. Twisted Evil

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 am

ok, if u can pay my fees .... about the sum of 1 AI multicurve phono stage will do !

Laughing
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 pm

We should feature Mugen on the pole during the next get together and pass the hat around for contributions. May be we can collect enough for two AI instead of one?

Hi guys,

Have a read at this article and present your arguments later;

http://www.lampizator.eu/HERESY/cables.html

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:13 pm

must be a fascinating artistic display since the fees speak for itself.

More Lady Gaga LPs then... lol!
htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Man, I can't believe someone actually wants to see Mugen on the pole!!!

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:33 pm

would the folks top up a lil bit more to see the pole itself?

when its tickled it gets real hot and glows like a 211. when relaxed its still a big fat anaconda like a shunyata Very Happy

drife

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Character sheet
Source(s): USJ
Amplification: Subang Jaya
Speakers: Selangor

http://drifeaudio.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:58 pm

drife, I think everyone is dying to ask but no-one dares. Well, someone has got to do the dirty job. And this is to ask the billion-dollar question:

HOW YOU KNOW AR ???? Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:00 pm

You guys sure are kinky huh? Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm outa here bro! but care to indulge the kinky boys who are staying for the show Mugen???
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 pm

i was showing some respect la. if i had imagined it to be a miniature 6j1 or a skinny door bell wire then mf will be so pissed off. hehe.

these days discussions end up kinky. i'd rather have it this way. last time it was Shaving Ryan's Private warzone!

i'm a power cord noob so i'll just sit back and curi2 info from you guys. thanks for sharing. appreciate it.

drife

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:47 pm

drife wrote:i was showing some respect la. if i had imagined it to be a miniature 6j1 or a skinny door bell wire then mf will be so pissed off. hehe.

Well.... Oh Kaye.... if you say so..... (sniggering....) Twisted Evil
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Guys, please get back to the topic proper; has anyone clicked the link ? Any comments?

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Ok, the topic proper guys. Power cords and it's use. Soooooo... what's the kinkiest way you've used a power cord. care to share anyone???
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 pm

mugenfoo wrote:

These reflections can be further classified into 2 common conditions:
1) Room Modes , which are the axial ,tangential and oblique, reflections giving rise to standing waves within the room (some spots with really loud boom, some spots with nulls aka suck-out effects). Hence a room's "modal response".
There are plenty of free Excel sheet calculators from the Net to help u calc. these boom freqs. Speaker placement won't really cure these problems. . .....
Hi Mugenfoo, IMHO, speaker placement holds the key to unlock room boom unless the boom is the emitting sound spectrum of the speakers, in such case, the 'boom' would be heard even if the speakers are in open field.

However, you have explained well of characteristics on Nature of Sound. I can also tell you that there are so many undocumented, yet unexplained nature of sound still.

Jo Ki
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 pm

recently my friend gone thru the power cord change and relate this to me.

Experience no 1

Friend of mine found bass boom at ceiling (vibration of false ceiling). when changing the original power cord from RM 200 to RM 300 power cord, the ceiling boom reduces. further change to a RM 1000 power cord, on the same song, same volume, the ceiling vibration is gone.

Experience no 2

Friend change out the RM 500 power cord to a RM 1000 cord. there was improvement in sound but friend commented perhaps it sound louder. Switch back to RM 500 power cord and turn the volume slightly louder. Friend said now on same loudness.

I was scratching my head.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:46 pm

jokiarch wrote:
Hi Mugenfoo, IMHO, speaker placement holds the key to unlock room boom unless the boom is the emitting sound spectrum of the speakers, in such case, the 'boom' would be heard even if the speakers are in open field.

However, you have explained well of characteristics on Nature of Sound. I can also tell you that there are so many undocumented, yet unexplained nature of sound still.

Jo Ki

I might also add, there are scenarios in which no matter where the speakers are placed (at least for a logically acceptable stereo scenario), it wil always boom at certain freqs where it is exciting the untreated room's modal response.

The problem with the unpredictability of sound is due to the myriad variables present in each and every scenario.

And here is a good analogy I'd like to use:
Up to today, there is no single Supercomputer in the world that has yet fully "deciphered" all the possible moves and counter-moves in a chess game. Hence today's supercomputer can only have X-amount of calculations in a given time, and make its "best move". But bear in mind, the rules of chess is not complex. The rules are set and any pre-teen adolescent can learn the rules by heart already. However, mastering the game is a different matter altogether.

Contrast this against a game of tic-tac-toe, where each and every move can be countered such that two competent gamers will always result in a draw.

But we should not discount the fact that one day, there would be a computer with enough memory storage, enough computing power that would one day render a chess game moot just like tic-tac-toe. Perhaps in a somewhat distant future, ala-Star Trek scenario .... Chess would be moot like tic-tac-toe.

BTW, I got this office colleague who memorised all the key steps (which is about 2 or 3 combination moves) in solving a Rubik's cube puzzle... so no matter how randomly you can mess it all up, he can always put it back together nicely; Anytime and Everytime. Was he so gifted by birth? No , he told me that he was just patient enough to watch & learn the tutorials on YouTube. Imagine that !

Back to the chess analogy:
So for us humans, to make our "best guess" when playing chess, knowledge of the game & experience, and that "gifted brain" all adds up & counts the most.

Same goes for solving the supposedly deep mysteries of sound. Good understanding, experiences , and generally a knack/flare/feel would all help in their own ways. Mileage would vary though. At least by today's standards. Smile

Last edited by mugenfoo on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 pm

bimmerman wrote:Ok, the topic proper guys. Power cords and it's use. Soooooo... what's the kinkiest way you've used a power cord. care to share anyone???

whip some naughty a$$.

seriously, i haven't had the urge to muck around with cords because i'm just having a great time with the different flavours preamp tubes has to offer. can't say its an improvement or degradation, its all to subjective. what i know is, when i'm bored of nescafe, there's always white coffee, or sirap bandung. as always, there're at least 10 different variations of Billy Corgan or Diana Krall etc. on my setup
sometimes they sound spirited and aggresive, sometimes they sound like they just had olive oil down their throat. fun!

regarding conditioning or reducing noise levels, i doubt that a richard gray or a rm30k nordost could beat my finger Arrow switch off the aircon Arrow pure (almost) silence in the room... i'm sure everyone can relate to this. that few seconds just before leaving the listening area/room, its like looking thru a clear window.

doesn't matter how hi-tech/quiet the aircon blower is... its still churning out a few nasty decibels. i tried to enjoy music w/out the aircon, end up sweating like John Cena, like he just had bakkutteh Very Happy

if i was going for ultimate clean/low noise audio, i'd prolly have to move out to Taman Negara/Cameron Highlands, and build an audio room there. but then, i'd have to squash all the noisy bugs outside Razz

and so, that's why i'm still a noob with cords and conditioning.

drife

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Experience 1. This is what I meant when we say boom can also be caused by amp/speaker mismatch. In this case, it was probably a mild mismatch only - i.e. the amp is just barely able to control the speaker. The better power cord allows the amp to better deliver its power / current and this then just allows it to properly control the speaker. Thus bass boom is gone.

Experience 2. It could be your friend just wasn't sure what to hear for. The key question to ask here is (IMHO) "what was the reason for changing/testing the power cord ?" It takes a very good ear and lots of experience before one can simply drop in a tweak or accessory, without knowing what to expect, and then can identify all the changes /differences. I know very few of such people (Jo Ki is one). A lot of people won't be able to differentiate. However, if the person is facing some issues with his sound and it is within the realm of tweaks and accessories, then he/she knows exactly what he/she is looking out for. Then any difference becomes apparent. It could also be that in the 2nd case, the system is not up to par (sorry, not meaning to disparage your friend's system.) Or it could be the power cord itself doesn't match the equipment well (yes, even accessories have matching issues).

Generally, a power cord allows the equipment to get its power supply in better quality and this directly leads to improved sound. It is usually fine-grain, meaning it is fine-tuning, and it is usually not very drastic. It will also not fix fundamental/basic problems like bad system set-up or matching. Whether we can say the power-cord 'improves' the sound is just a matter of semantics. If we see it as part of the amp (for e.g.), then of course it improves the sound because we don't separate the amp and the power cord as two separate entities/items. But we can also clearly segragate "this is amp, that is power cord" and in that sense, the power cord -facilitates- the equipment to deliver its maximum performance.

It is -perfectly OK- if one does NOT hear any difference between a more expensive power cord and a cheaper one. Do NOT feel like you are inferior because other people says they can but you can't. It could be due to lots of perfectly valid reasons. It is NOT WRONG. Neither are those who could hear the difference 'more right'. Each and everyone has a right to enjoy his/her system the way he/she does and wants to.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm

chua55 wrote:recently my friend gone thru the power cord change and relate this to me.

Experience no 1

Friend of mine found bass boom at ceiling (vibration of false ceiling). when changing the original power cord from RM 200 to RM 300 power cord, the ceiling boom reduces. further change to a RM 1000 power cord, on the same song, same volume, the ceiling vibration is gone.

Experience no 2

Friend change out the RM 500 power cord to a RM 1000 cord. there was improvement in sound but friend commented perhaps it sound louder. Switch back to RM 500 power cord and turn the volume slightly louder. Friend said now on same loudness.

Good observations Chua, and I can understand both of the experiences.

The experience no.1, whereby the rattle on the ceiling is reduced could be associated to bandwidth becomes flatter at midbass frequency range due to more expensive power cord. This could be associated to energy concentrated on midbass of te cheaper power cord which borders on region that excite the ceiling.

The experience no.2, louder amplitude on better power cord is quite like when correct tweak is applied, and that it is a good thing as with better driving power and clearer, cleaner sound, but it is the lower noise floor that has contributed the most explained the increased amplitude without increase in gain pot.

Perhaps you could share with us, your recent discovery of one excellent power cord which blew my friend apart?! I am interested to know too.

Jo Ki
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 pm

chua55 wrote:recently my friend gone thru the power cord change and relate this to me.

Experience no 1

Experience no 2

I have to quote the statement and qualify it again. The changes of power cord took place at the digital transport (case 1) and cd transport (case 2)

this is the culprit ->. http://www.groverhuffman.com/powercords
with the patented design.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:24 pm

WongKN wrote:Experience 2. It could be your friend just wasn't sure what to hear for. The key question to ask here is (IMHO) "what was the reason for changing/testing the power cord ?" It takes a very good ear and lots of experience before one can simply drop in a tweak or accessory, without knowing what to expect, and then can identify all the changes /differences. I know very few of such people (Jo Ki is one). A lot of people won't be able to differentiate. However, if the person is facing some issues with his sound and it is within the realm of tweaks and accessories, then he/she knows exactly what he/she is looking out for. Then any difference becomes apparent. It could also be that in the 2nd case, the system is not up to par (sorry, not meaning to disparage your friend's system.) Or it could be the power cord itself doesn't match the equipment well (yes, even accessories have matching issues).

Generally, a power cord allows the equipment to get its power supply in better quality and this directly leads to improved sound. It is usually fine-grain, meaning it is fine-tuning, and it is usually not very drastic. It will also not fix fundamental/basic problems like bad system set-up or matching. Whether we can say the power-cord 'improves' the sound is just a matter of semantics. If we see it as part of the amp (for e.g.), then of course it improves the sound because we don't separate the amp and the power cord as two separate entities/items. But we can also clearly segragate "this is amp, that is power cord" and in that sense, the power cord -facilitates- the equipment to deliver its maximum performance.

It is -perfectly OK- if one does NOT hear any difference between a more expensive power cord and a cheaper one. Do NOT feel like you are inferior because other people says they can but you can't. It could be due to lots of perfectly valid reasons. It is NOT WRONG. Neither are those who could hear the difference 'more right'. Each and everyone has a right to enjoy his/her system the way he/she does and wants to.

well said. Case 2 friend isnt really looking for some power cord to solve some problem. just exploring and happen to some power cord that suit his seasoned ears.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 am

chua55 wrote:Experience no 2

It could be power factor correction (PFC) at play here...the power cord resulting in the louder volume having a better power factor.
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 am

some simple queries re: Case 1 & case 2.

While the obvious change is the power cord. Was there any true test to ascertain that it any sonic differences heard was solely due to the power cord ?

It could very well have been a superior terminated IEC plug, or a better Furutech AC plug, etc etc also. Even differences in solder termination can cause such changes.

Were the cords of the same length and laid out as similarly as possible ? Otherwise, the cable is also subjected to different cable harmonic resonances.

the extra variables can go on and on ....
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 am

I have to agree with u Mugen foo...
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 am

Pandora's box............

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:

It could be power factor correction (PFC) at play here...the power cord resulting in the louder volume having a better power factor.

Can please enlighten us how this is possible? (Bearing in mind that I am not an Electrical Technician/ Engineer). Very Happy

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi rocketman,

I'm very sure powercord will change the sound of your system. If u don't want to invest lots of money in it, u may use the orange ace cable , 2.5mm eletrical wire or even 4.0mm eletrical wire as powercord.

For those Hifi equipment designer, sure they will not use expensive cable. They can get the same effect just to change 1or 2 components in the circuit or built some filters in to the power section. Rocketman r u 1 of them??
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:19 pm

i am not an electrical engineer/electrician too.

to find out more about power factor, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 pm

what i am puzzled about is whether a simple power cord can change the power factor without having some sort of filter network.

MIT does improve power factor with their products like z strip and z powerbar but it is done with passive networks using capacitors and inductors.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

WongKN wrote:
bimmerman wrote:Krell FPB to drive Westminsters??? Surely that cannot be true. Maybe the dude has a room the size of a football field? But there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy says Hamlet. So be that the truth then I'll wager the KAV-300i might fair nicely too. To a lesser degree of course. Or how about Mark Levinson's 20Watt monoblocks. Those won't break the bank these days.

I too was sceptical. The owner told me "Oh yes of course LOTS of amps drive the Westminster very well. Those SETs sounded very lush and nice. But nothing beats the FBPs. I asked him how on earth he can feel safe with 450Watts of muscle driving a speaker with over 90dB sensitivity. He says it can be terrifying at times. But that I ain't heard nothing yet until I hear those FBPs drive the Westminsters. Unfortunately no, I haven't had a chance to hear them yet so I have to take the owner's words for it.
silent I love you

r u serious Mr. Moderator?? Big giant krell amp to drive a pair of 99db Tannoy Westminster??

noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:18 pm

1. WongKN - Again, good explanation.
2. Jo Ki - Very informative and to the point explanation!
3. Chua - This Grover Huffman power cord don't even show how their cable looks like... will you be testing it on your DAC-1?
4. Mugen - Totally agree. I recently replaced a standard IEC coz the loose fitment was driving me nuts... any slight touch on the power cord and the IEC will pop out of the socket. Bought a Furutech gold plated IEC, replaced it and I could hear a slight improvement in terms of smoothness... I think. Can't do an A-B and don't intend to.

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:19 pm

123_rocketman wrote:
Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:

Can please enlighten us how this is possible? (Bearing in mind that I am not an Electrical Technician/ Engineer). Very Happy

Actually Jo Ki (jokiarch) already explained it quite well...

The experience no.2, louder amplitude on better power cord is quite like when correct tweak is applied, and that it is a good thing as with better driving power and clearer, cleaner sound, but it is the lower noise floor that has contributed the most explained the increased amplitude without increase in gain pot.

IF the noise floor was reduced, you can hear the music better and thus, perceive that it's louder. This can only be confirmed using a SPL meter. I remember reading about a similar case where the person thought it sounded louder but the SPL meter showed that the sound level was still the same, so the only explanation was the reduction of noise floor.

Last edited by KenZen on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:19 pm

sflam wrote:what i am puzzled about is whether a simple power cord can change the power factor without having some sort of filter network.

MIT does improve power factor with their products like z strip and z powerbar but it is done with passive networks using capacitors and inductors.

Sflam,

The construction of a powercord will change the capacitance n inductance of the powercord. The length also will make a different.
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:21 pm

noodle88 wrote:Hi rocketman,

I'm very sure powercord will change the sound of your system. If u don't want to invest lots of money in it, u may use the orange ace cable , 2.5mm eletrical wire or even 4.0mm eletrical wire as powercord.

For those Hifi equipment designer, sure they will not use expensive cable. They can get the same effect just to change 1or 2 components in the circuit or built some filters in to the power section. Rocketman r u 1 of them??

1) Yes. Have been using the orange power cord from ACE for 6 months now. No effect on me. Crying or Very sad

2) No. I am not one of those sifus, unfortunately. Crying or Very sad

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:26 pm

KenZen wrote:
123_rocketman wrote:
Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:

Actually Jo Ki (jokiarch) already explained it quite well...

IF the noise floor was reduced, you can hear the music better and thus, perceive that it's louder. This can only be confirmed using a SPL meter. I remember reading about a similar case where the person thought it sounded louder but the SPL meter showed that the sound level was still the same, so the only explanation was the reduction of noise floor.

I am actually puzzled at how a power cord can improve the power factor without capacitor banks? I mean how a phase angle can be altered with a power cord from socket outlet?

scratch

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:43 pm

noodle88 wrote:

sflam wrote:
what i am puzzled about is whether a simple power cord can change the power factor without having some sort of filter network.

Sflam,

The construction of a powercord will change the capacitance n inductance of the powercord. The length also will make a different.

i'm not sure if changing capacitance n inductance by twisting/braiding wires can improve power factor. i think u need some kind of network active/passive filter. i don't think length of wire can change power factor.

any electrical engineer out there who can help explain things?

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:15 pm

I cant explain this also even with my understanding of electrical theory.

I will just shoot an email to the designer for him to explain this 'unexplained and undocumented' power cord.

The power cord is vrey thin, looks just like the speaker cable or interconnect.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:12 pm

sflam wrote:
noodle88 wrote:

sflam wrote:

Sflam,

i'm not sure if changing capacitance n inductance by twisting/braiding wires can improve power factor. i think u need some kind of network active/passive filter. i don't think length of wire can change power factor.

any electrical engineer out there who can help explain things?

Power cord characteristics WILL always have an influence on the PF.

It can make the load (ie the equipment ) to be more capacitative or inductive overall.

The cable itself IS ALREADY a Filter network. Any cable (power cord, zip cord, speaker wire, interconnects, etc...) will always have these 3 properties: Resistance, Capacitance, inductance.

who wants to get into the math behind it ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:14 pm

And how a cable is constructed, braided, twisted, wound together, insulation material ... will impact its capacitance and inductance values more.

DC resistance is more a factor of cable material, ie the type of metal, it's metallic purity & amount of metal used.

Kimber cables for example, are not just braided in a certain way to look exotic or pretty. Its specifically to have very low Capacitance and Inductance values.

Last edited by mugenfoo on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:16 pm

123_rocketman wrote:
Spoiler:
I am actually puzzled at how a power cord can improve the power factor without capacitor banks? I mean how a phase angle can be altered with a power cord from socket outlet?

scratch

phase angle is dependant on both the supply side and the load-end's "impedance" or power load.

A power cord by itself is pointless... its a power cord connected to its load equipment that completes the whole load-end's impedance on the wall side power supply.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:48 pm

mugenfoo wrote:

Power cord characteristics WILL always have an influence on the PF.

It can make the load (ie the equipment ) to be more capacitative or inductive overall.

The cable itself IS ALREADY a Filter network. Any cable (power cord, zip cord, speaker wire, interconnects, etc...) will always have these 3 properties: Resistance, Capacitance, inductance.

who wants to get into the math behind it ?.

-And how a cable is constructed, braided, twisted, wound together, insulation material ... will impact its capacitance and inductance values more.

DC resistance is more a factor of cable material.

Kimber cables for example, are not just braided in a certain way to look exotic or pretty. Its specifically to have very low Capacitance and Inductance values.

It is true that braiding/twisting will affect the capacitance and inductance values of the power cord.

but would the changes in capacitance/inductance be great enough to change the power factor?

if i'm not wrong, the capacitors/inductors in the filter networks are of pretty high values.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:06 pm

sflam wrote:

It is true that braiding/twisting will affect the capacitance and inductance values of the power cord.

but would the changes in capacitance/inductance be great enough to change the power factor?

if i'm not wrong, the capacitors/inductors in the filter networks are of pretty high values.

How do you define "change in power factor" ?

a 0.1% difference, if it is consistently measurable and repeatable, would qualify as having being changed already, or not?

If you can measure the difference in C and L consistently and repeatedly in any cable, u can for sure measure the change in PF the same.

But more importantly .. would these changes be AUDIBLE or not. This one, is up to the individual to experience for themselves. No right or wrong here.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 pm

mugenfoo wrote:some simple queries re: Case 1 & case 2.

While the obvious change is the power cord. Was there any true test to ascertain that it any sonic differences heard was solely due to the power cord ?

It could very well have been a superior terminated IEC plug, or a better Furutech AC plug, etc etc also. Even differences in solder termination can cause such changes.

Were the cords of the same length and laid out as similarly as possible ? Otherwise, the cable is also subjected to different cable harmonic resonances.

the extra variables can go on and on ....

I believe the attention to the 2 ends (fururtech plug, termination, etc) as adopted by the designer works. the connectors alone are expensive.

Hi Bimmer, does your furutech plug apply to the same cable ?

http://www.vhaudio.com/furutech-fi-50m.pdf

take a look of the connectors featured and how the insulating material can affect the performance (transparency, dynamics, etc)

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:48 pm

Who cares the technical terms, as long as u can use those changes to make your system sound better.

Just change my powercord from ace orange wire to 2.5mm eletrical wire, change my US plug to UK , change my uk plug fuse to bussman. It's all make different in my system. What u need is to try them one by one and know their charactor. Then u will be happy with the end result without breaking your piggy bank. Good luck...
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 pm

noodle88,
2.5mm electrical wire 'better' than ACE orange cable? Where to get?
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 pm

chua55 wrote:

I believe the attention to the 2 ends (fururtech plug, termination, etc) as adopted by the designer works. the connectors alone are expensive.

Hi Bimmer, does your furutech plug apply to the same cable ?

http://www.vhaudio.com/furutech-fi-50m.pdf

take a look of the connectors featured and how the insulating material can affect the performance (transparency, dynamics, etc)

Chua, I have a few Furutech powercords comprising of the cheaper silver coated ones and the more expensive PCOCC ones which I buy from a good dude with a spool. The PCOCC cord looks very much like the one pictured in your link. Unfortunately I cannot afford to have them all terminated in Furutech plugs especially not the FI-50 Piezo Ceramic plug. I reckon that will cost around RM800 for one plug alone. In fact I can't even afford the regular Rhodium plated copper ones. Mine are gold plated copper which are still not cheap. On some of my Furutech powercords I use made in china plugs but I make sure they're pure copper, not brass and not plated with nickel. The one I use on my Krell amp is Furutech PCOCC, terminated with chinese copper pronged plugs. It packs a wallop that one! You've heard it on your amp before. The one terminated with Furutech plugs I use on my DAC. On my CD player it's wireworld Stratus 5 2. Wall socket to regenerator is Furutech silver coated.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Oh Chua, looks like I did not answer your question. You asked if my Furutech plug applies to the same cable. Well no, the cable looks similar to my Furutech PCOCC but that FI-50 Piezo plug is out of bounds for me. It's priced for Kings and crooked politicians Shocked Very Happy
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Wonder if anyone noticed this ...

I, too, have the orange pc from Ace, got it from the ikano outlet. when i got it last year, noticed a "cancer" warning on the spool or rack, for most of the cables, including the orange one ... scratch

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:37 pm

mugenfoo wrote:

sflam wrote:

How do you define "change in power factor" ?

a 0.1% difference, if it is consistently measurable and repeatable, would qualify as having being changed already, or not?

If you can measure the difference in C and L consistently and repeatedly in any cable, u can for sure measure the change in PF the same.

But more importantly .. would these changes be AUDIBLE or not. This one, is up to the individual to experience for themselves. No right or wrong here.

i hv googled around searching for power factor correction methods and all the sites say you use either capacitors or inductors to correct the power factor to unity (or close to).

no site - commercial or academic - has mentioned using power cords (audiophile or normal types) or any wiring schemes to correct power factor.

no site has said anything about braiding/twisting wires to change capacitance/inductance (however small the changes) as a method to correct power factor.

Last edited by sflam on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down