Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

esoteric x-03se or ayon cd 5

+15
ryder
WongKK
ongaaron
zeebee
bassraptor
adrian4454
chenht
mugenfoo
WongKN
S8
joeling
tycham
bimmerman
llsaw
Lamkochai
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

esoteric x-03se or ayon cd 5 Empty esoteric x-03se or ayon cd 5

Post by Lamkochai Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm

just wonder anyone has experience with the above cd players? which one is the better player to match with unison research tube amp?

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz
Amplification: gryphon diable 300, genesis phono amp, diy tube amp
Speakers: marten django xl & audiophysic virgo

Back to top Go down

esoteric x-03se or ayon cd 5 Empty Re: esoteric x-03se or ayon cd 5

Post by llsaw Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Bro,

These are megabuck cd players and the best way to find which is suitable is to extensively audition and trust your own ears.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

If you're looking at megabucks CD players, the Mark Levinson No.512 gets my vote. Really. It's analogue sounding but not analogue to a fault. Sorry I did not pick the Ayon or Esoteric. Beyond that, there's DCS.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:23 pm

There's also Wadia, EMM Labs, Playback Designs. CMY carries Metronome Technologie.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm

I have not auditioned a modern Wadia but they were off the radar for many years. They've only recently made a comeback. Anybody auditioned a new fangled Wadia yet? Are they still prominent like the Wadia of yesteryear?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 pm

they are not really mega buck cd players, at least not in the same league with dcs and mark levinson no 512 price wise. i wanted player with tight bass and more extended high to compensate with the warm sounding tube amp.

have tried the metronome but dont like it. emm lab is also more expensive compare to ayon and estoteric (which is under 30k)

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:18 pm

This is one that I like.

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/10/object-of-art-pathos-endorphin.html
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 pm

I have auditioned the Ayon & AMR cd77 at the respective dealers & an Audio Research CD8 in my mostly AR system. I prefer the AMR.

joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by S8 Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:40 pm

IMHO, if you cannot kautim your acoustic problem, changing gear will not help much. If I remember correctly, your listening area is in the living, so ASI resonators will be neat and not adversely affect the aesthetic of your living area.
Cheers

S8

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 pm

tried asi resonators but useless. however i have retained 2 bronze and a silver for its positive effect on the mid and high. i have adjusted the height of my speakers with marble slab on the floor and add on more a few more brass plate at the edges of the wall. this rectify the bass problem a bit but at least my system is easy to ear now.

changing gear not totally because of the acoustic prob but i want improvement on my current system while i still can afford to spend. next out will be my harbeth speakers. Smile

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 am

My opinion : try to get one which can play SACD as well as CD. If budget permits, maybe spend on a DAC instead. Get one of those which is the rave nowadays, which can -genuinely- play the so-called high-res formats like 24/96 and 24/192 at least. It should be DSD (SACD) capable as well. The reason you are changing is you want better sound. The new high-res format offers that at a lower price than if you stick to CD strictly. The only problem is the 'war' that seems to be going on and worse still, all the hype and things. This has led to an extremely limited choice of high-res music. So your best bet is to support every available format so you have a much wider choice.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 am

WongKN wrote:My opinion : try to get one which can play SACD as well as CD. If budget permits, maybe spend on a DAC instead. Get one of those which is the rave nowadays, which can -genuinely- play the so-called high-res formats like 24/96 and 24/192 at least. It should be DSD (SACD) capable as well. The reason you are changing is you want better sound. The new high-res format offers that at a lower price than if you stick to CD strictly. The only problem is the 'war' that seems to be going on and worse still, all the hype and things. This has led to an extremely limited choice of high-res music. So your best bet is to support every available format so you have a much wider choice.

Until today, I find it extremely hard to find a mainstream DAC that is "SACD capable" due to the difference in formats (DSD vs. PCM) and also for copyright purposes. ( But maybe WOngKN knows something i don't... Wink )

Mfgs don't want to stream native DSD over simple unencrypted digital links for fear of content piracy.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/sacd-playback.html

mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by chenht Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:38 am

mugenfoo wrote:
WongKN wrote:My opinion : try to get one which can play SACD as well as CD. If budget permits, maybe spend on a DAC instead. Get one of those which is the rave nowadays, which can -genuinely- play the so-called high-res formats like 24/96 and 24/192 at least. It should be DSD (SACD) capable as well. The reason you are changing is you want better sound. The new high-res format offers that at a lower price than if you stick to CD strictly. The only problem is the 'war' that seems to be going on and worse still, all the hype and things. This has led to an extremely limited choice of high-res music. So your best bet is to support every available format so you have a much wider choice.

Until today, I find it extremely hard to find a mainstream DAC that is "SACD capable" due to the difference in formats (DSD vs. PCM) and also for copyright purposes. ( But maybe WOngKN knows something i don't... Wink )

Mfgs don't want to stream native DSD over simple unencrypted digital links for fear of content piracy.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/sacd-playback.html

Smile Like what you have writtem. Looks like there are some "chair Kai" gurus out there Smile

chenht
chenht
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Cary Audio
Amplification: Eletrocompaniet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Why dont the media world ever learn...
I suggest they all do back vinyl la 33. 1/3 rpm.. mass prod it and bring the price down to RM30++. Put a stop to all worries of copyright.
Those that want convenient, pls strap on earphone and listen to MP3 through those thumb size portable player...

Let the hi fi world go back to vinyl~~..
I believe, by then there is someone in Malaysia which can make a TT ar price of RM500++..

Saving the world from being over digitized.
Sorry, I think I am smoking pot again. Smile

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I wouldn't mind some of that pot myself ... Twisted Evil

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:15 pm

bassraptor wrote:I wouldn't mind some of that pot myself ... Twisted Evil

best when during concert Very Happy let's just say some 'experimentation' during a Pink Floyd concert in the eighties was unbelievable, the sight, sound and especially the bit where those humongous Pigs literally 'flying' above ... pig pig like surreal and hazy and heady afro then I realized what Purple Haze meant...

ooppss back to reality... Embarassed Embarassed
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:17 pm

Zeebee........getting high over your new speakers I suppose.... drunken drunken

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 425
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Character sheet
Source(s): MF AMSCD
Amplification: Audia Flight
Speakers: Wilson Benesch

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Man, i've never needed any chemical or organic stimulants to get high on Pink Floyd's music!

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:31 pm

.... must be due to "The Great Gig in the Sky" syndrome....
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Reminds me of the time i met lucy in the sky, with diamonds... nothing like a generous dose of LSD to get you weekend in tune. Or workday for that matter drunken
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:25 pm

The thing with LSD is that it comes back to haunt you later ... What a Face

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 pm

That is EXACTLY what I meant by the 'war'. Unfortunately SONY seems to be re-threading the Betamax road again. But times are different now, remember SONY owns Columbia and thus while in the past we have SONY Electronics, today we also have SONY MUSIC, which owns some of the biggest names in the music scene. Remember how resilient SONY was in the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD war and how SONY won.

I continue to be sad at the in-fighting that is happening in the digital scene today. We have numerous standards : DSD, FLAC, WAV, etc, and often one camp disparages the other and sometimes they release only in 1 format and not the other. Again, while I will not go into the details this time, there are just way too much hype and techno-babble and often just not enough honesty. There just seems to be too many hidden vested interests by different manufacturers.

Back to the question at hand. The biggest selection of hi-res digital is still mainly on SACD. For those other format, their selection is still much to be improved. I double-confirmed this status again recently after being told I am not up to date. Sadly I do not see much change in the status-quo. But I did find a lot of new releases on SACD (e.g. two albums of Dire Straits, the 1951 Bayeurith concert of Beethoven Symphony 9 conducted by Furtwangler, Jekyll & Hyde soundtrack, not the best but its improving). So to me, IMO, any investment in hi-res digital should logically support DSD which is the SACD format. But ideally it supports also the other hi-res PCM based formats as well.

From my experience - but it is not extensive la, just dabbling here and there - given two players of the same price, one CD only and the other SACD capable, the use of SACD will yeild a significant improvement over CD. Meaning if we spend say x amount of dollars on a SACD capable player vs a CD player, the SACD player when playing SACD will deliver performance way above its price, meaning way beyond its own capability with CD as well as the competing CD-only player. Thus, IF there is a choice, personally I would choose the SACD capable player. It will play, it MUST play normal CDs as well as a lot of music is simply available only on CD. There seems to be some dabbling on hi-quality CDs as well, with those SHMCDs, LPCDs, K2CDs, and what not (have not tested every one of them though). IMO, if one is committed to digital, there's no better time than now to invest in an upgrade of your source !

As with all discussions about upgrading a CD player, one should logically also consider the option of retaining the CD player and adding a DAC instead. In fact, I remember we had a thread about this not so long ago. Or perhaps splitting the upgrade budget over a cheaper CD player or transport (again, personally I would prefer t to be SACD capable) and a DAC.

Yes I agree, it seems that the majority of the DACs are PCM based because they are for regular CD. This is why I only dare suggested that if possible, get one which supports both formats. There are a few that I am aware of but I am more suggesting the OP do research himself as I am not very up to dates with all that are available now. But a DSD DAC is definitely not limited to the non mainstream manufacturers only. For a fact DCS has been supporting it for some time now. Of course the price, its difficult to really talk about it la. But then again someone did suggest a Mark Levinson as well and I am pretty sure THAT one is not a cheap player by any means. Very Happy

BTW, there's a used DCS transport, external, and DAC for sale at Audio Image. Supports all the hi-res formats including SACD/DSD. Includes a Firewire connectivity option (don't see any need to go for USB if this is available). I won't spoil the OP's fun of going over to check it out. And then asking for its price...... Twisted Evil
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:39 pm

eeeeeks, DCS!!! Makes the prices charged at Mark Levinson seem like Radio Shack.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by S8 Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi LamKC,
It appear to me that you are rebuilding your system. IMHO, you should build your system around your "choice" speakers, instead of changing your gears in a circle. Choice speakers is the one's tonality that suits your musical taste, your listening area, and can keep you happy for the next 4 or 5 years at least.
I checked your earlier posts, and it appear to me that your have warm-sounding gears in the whole chain, MF cdp, Transparent cable?, tube amp and Harbert speakers. It also appear to me that you love tube amp (as I do), then may I suggest you get a more neutral speaker, no British if you ask me, no monsters as your listening position is more like near field. Cables shall be fast and transparent (Transparent cable is not transparent and too slow for my liking), Siltech may be a good choice (you posted your SQ110 for sales?).
Equipment maching, vibration control and room acoustic are the key words. Using tube dampers helps to redure microphonic and improve bottom end, use compliant footers (no hard one like BDR cone) for equipment damping and decoupling from rack, your mass market TV rack is not helping at all, worse still if it has doors and glass top. Goggle Herbie Audio Lab for all kinds of vibration control kits.
In my opinion, if the set-up is not optimised or 3/4 optimised then we should rectify and improve the set-up, not easily part with our hard earn monies on so call upgrade path, and frustrated ourself in the process.
The other important aspect is steady and clean power supply to all the gears, especially tube amp. Solid equiment rack, Cable elevators etc if you wish. And last but not least (in fact may be the most important) is proper room acoustic treatment, a mix of absorption, reflection and diffusion. In order not to adversely affect the aesthetic of your living area, I still believe combination of ASI resonators (1 copper only + phase corrector for bass, silver etc for mid and high frequencies), three diffusers (1 at the center of back wall, 1 behind each speaker), and 17 pieces of sugar cube as a virtual sound equilizer at the back wall. I am not a pusher for CMY but a happy customer.
My gears are not expensive but I am pretty satisfied with the performance, only thing is my dac is 20 bits, that keeps me wondering will 24 or 32 bits upsampling dac better. Home audition some high end cdp but neither am I happy nor can affort it.
Above are my personal experience in a dedicated listening room, not sure how much will do for a more open area like yours.

S8

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 pm

I have a Playback Designs MPS-5. Before this, a Cary CD-306 SACD player, and before that, a Sony XB-940 SACD player. I have heard many other SACD players, including the top of the line DCS stack, DCS Puccini, Esoteric X-03, nearly all the Marantz SACD players, and so on. Also heard the Wadia DAC. The only top SACD player I have no experience with is the EMM Labs. I have heard the Ayon CD-5 also.

The Esoteric has a more neutral and detailed sound, and more resolution. If you don't like that kind of sound, you might call it "dry" or "clinical". The Ayon has a fuller bodied sound, with a sweeter midrange and a surprising amount of punch. No doubt due to the valves in the output stage.

I don't think you could say one is better than the other. Personally I prefer the sound of the Esoteric. But if your system already sounds dry and you want to sex it up, you would be better off with the Ayon. Also - with the Ayon you could tube roll and tailor the sound a bit. But in the end, the Esoteric digs more out from the disc. More resolution. The Esoteric will beat ANY CD player up to the level of the Playback Designs and DCS. It put my old Cary to shame when I compared the two. It gives the Wadia a very good run for its money.

If I were you, I would use a tube preamp with the Esoteric and have the best of both worlds.

Also - I agree 100% with what WongKN said about SACD.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-11-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL-99V
Amplification: Cary SLP-05, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S
Speakers: Acapella High Violon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 pm

thank you wongkk for your kind advice.

s8: agree with what you say and i have basically read through the website you written. i have tried all sorts of vibration control thing for my equipment but prefer them on just the hifi rack without any footer.
i have also added a purepower 2000 (use together with 2 rgpc 400 pro) and a dedicated hifi rack from cmy since i last posted my system picture. But a 10k system will never better a 100k system in the same listening area thus the plan to upgrade my equiment before i lose all my money in share market
Very Happy

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by S8 Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Lam,
I see. There is an equal change of upside and downside in share market, but invest in hifi, only downside leh. Arrow

S8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:42 pm

i dont know whether you have such a experience. whenever i see an item i like, i think for 3x but later on decide to save the money to invest. but when i lost the money in investment, i will regret it a lot:' if only i bought the cd player i still have something to enjoy by now" etc... so better enjoy it while you still can.

of course in hifi you alwyas lose money but you gain in other aspect lah.

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Lamkochai wrote:thank you wongkk for your kind advice.

i have tried all sorts of vibration control thing for my equipment but prefer them on just the hifi rack without any footer.
i have also added a purepower 2000 (use together with 2 rgpc 400 pro) and a dedicated hifi rack from cmy since i last posted my system picture.

I don't know what dedicated hifi rack from CMY and resonance control products you have tried that didn't bring any positive results. You may want to try an FE Spider rack combined with their Cera products for a change. Nonetheless, if setup and room acoustics issues are still not addressed then it would be pointless to dabble in vibration and resonance control devices.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:27 pm

the usher brand rack. fairly reasonable price and well built at Rm1500 for 4 tier. cant afford finite elemente. Resonance control footers are far more difficult to play with and the effect is quite unpredictable. most of the time i found that even the expensive footers will have some gain and loss. I have tried the msi magnetic footer, harmonix (good effect but i got more positive gain by investing in better cable), vibrapod and finite elemente ceraball. i also play with other cheaper footers like squash ball cut into half, wood cone, chess, mpingo disc and the glass souvenier. All will bring audible effects but in the end i prefer all my equipment to sit directly on the rack.

Room acoustic is one big headache esp for amateur like me. i have stopped putting more bass trap or diffuser at my dining room. unless i do major renovation the bass resonance will still be present regardless of what i add. i seek help from the so call 'experts' from local hifi shop which i bougt my auralex lernds foam but they dont seems capable to rectify the problem.

i reduce that bass boom problem by moving my speakers closer apart and increase the height of my stand.

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:12 am

Auralex has been "exposed" in many forums and other comparison websites to be rather ineffective (for bass boom issues).

Many people have started off with "Auralex" as first, but almost always ended up abandoning it and having other stuff to surpass it.

http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showthread.php?13047-Auralex-vs-Real-TRaps

http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/studio-building-display/ethans-traps-vs-auralex-82426/

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/16777-real-traps-auralex-primacoustic-way-go.html

But of course, nothing beats your own first-hand experience .... so if anyone here happens to have invested in a handsome chunk of Auralex stuff, please do share the positives/negatives about it, and what worked, what didn't.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:15 am

ryder wrote:
I don't know what dedicated hifi rack from CMY and resonance control products you have tried that didn't bring any positive results. You may want to try an FE Spider rack combined with their Cera products for a change. Nonetheless, if setup and room acoustics issues are still not addressed then it would be pointless to dabble in vibration and resonance control devices.

A Finite Elemente Spider Rack with associated Ceramic Balls can easily touch the RM10K mark.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 am

mugenfoo wrote:Auralex has been "exposed" in many forums and other comparison websites to be rather ineffective (for bass boom issues).

Well of course. Bass wavelengths are very long, so they pass through thin acoustic foam as if it wasn't there. If you want to solve bass ringing by fiddling with room acoustics, you need two things:

1. Density
2. Thickness

Ideally the thickness of the foam should be 1/2 a wavelength of the frequency you wish to attenuate. However, when you consider that a 50Hz sound wave has a wavelength of 7m (at sea level, etc etc) then you need foam which is 3.5m thick! Obviously not practical, so most people go for higher density materials, like fiberglass. You can google up instructions on how to DIY bass panels. Another alternative is to make your own Helmholtz resonator (google it) but you need to know exactly what frequency you wish to attenuate, and calculate the length of your resonator to tune it to the desired frequency.

An even easier way is to use an analogue parametric equalizer like the Rives Audio PARC. Or if you are not shy, you could use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer ("BFD"), or DEQX, or Lyngdorf room processor. All of these things will cause some loss of transparency, particularly all the digital units which involve an additional ADC-DAC stage. But it does bring some gains in the lower frequency. You sacrifice one aspect of performance for another. Whether it is worth it, it's up to you.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:46 am

where to get this "real bass trap" in malaysia?

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:10 am

Lamkochai wrote:the usher brand rack. fairly reasonable price and well built at Rm1500 for 4 tier. cant afford finite elemente. Resonance control footers are far more difficult to play with and the effect is quite unpredictable. most of the time i found that even the expensive footers will have some gain and loss. I have tried the msi magnetic footer, harmonix (good effect but i got more positive gain by investing in better cable), vibrapod and finite elemente ceraball. i also play with other cheaper footers like squash ball cut into half, wood cone, chess, mpingo disc and the glass souvenier. All will bring audible effects but in the end i prefer all my equipment to sit directly on the rack.

Room acoustic is one big headache esp for amateur like me. i have stopped putting more bass trap or diffuser at my dining room. unless i do major renovation the bass resonance will still be present regardless of what i add. i seek help from the so call 'experts' from local hifi shop which i bougt my auralex lernds foam but they dont seems capable to rectify the problem.

i reduce that bass boom problem by moving my speakers closer apart and increase the height of my stand.

Yes, all the resonance control products bring different effects, and the results can sometimes be unpredictable. Good to hear that you managed to get good results with the equipment on the current rack.

My sincere advice to maximise the system is to allocate a dedicated room for the system. Everyone hears things differently and have different expectations and listening preference. I presume your requirement is high(similar like me) since the Harbeth sound acceptable in any living space for some leisure listening or background music as with any other speakers. If you want to squeeze the maximum out of the SHL5 or any other speakers for that matter, I believe most if not all of them won't sound optimised in the current living/dining room even if some serious/proper bass traps are added in the room.

If a dedicated room is not possible then just try to live with the compromises and system as it is.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 am

mugenfoo wrote:

A Finite Elemente Spider Rack with associated Ceramic Balls can easily touch the RM10K mark.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

SHL 5 also cost that much?
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by S8 Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Guys, think outside the box, think, think...

Listening your music through a good headphone will not cost much and not affect the aesthetic of the living area. bounce

S8

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Highest i've been with them cans was the Sennheiser 650. But in the end I could not accept the hole in the centre sound staging of headphones. So it's out of head-fi and back to hi-fi.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:41 pm

AV design in KL. They are the agent of www.realtraps.com

Lamkochai wrote:where to get this "real bass trap" in malaysia?
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm

U need to get yourself a crossfeed unit

bimmerman wrote:Highest i've been with them cans was the Sennheiser 650. But in the end I could not accept the hole in the centre sound staging of headphones. So it's out of head-fi and back to hi-fi.
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:20 pm

bimmerman,
how good is the Sennheiser 650 ? Is the diff between it and the Grado SR60i a lot and significant and worth the price difference?

what about the Grado 325i

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Joeling,

A crossfeed unit? I'm guessing it will get rid of the hole in the centre soundstaging? But too late, not into cans no more.

Carz,

The Senn 650 is very good. Have not tried Grados but a friend of mine has the 325is and the 325i before that. He says the i"S" makes for quite a significant improvement over the 325i. Lately he has been itching for the GS1000 if I remember correctly.

bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:44 am

S8 wrote:Guys, think outside the box, think, think...

Listening your music through a good headphone will not cost much and not affect the aesthetic of the living area. bounce

Sorry, headphones is more of an "even smaller box" solution, if it's even a solution at all.
- Total loss of slam and dynamics, unless u want to kill your eardrums quickly. Yet it still can't give u that chest shaking feel as if the kickdrum is positioned on stage just for your personal audition.
- Totally zero depth perception. Period.
- Soundstage is confined from left ear, stretching a beeline between your head to the right ear only.

Headphones ? Who's kidding who here... Wrong forum dude. Try the HeadFi.org forums or somewhere else.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:45 am

joeling wrote:AV design in KL. They are the agent of www.realtraps.com

Lamkochai wrote:where to get this "real bass trap" in malaysia?

No they're not . They just order online from www.Realtraps.com like everyone else.

A proper agent would at least carry **some** stock of whatever products they are suppose to represent so u can just waltz into the shop, plonk down some money, and walk away with the merchandise in hand.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Back on track a bit. I know it is not exactly the Ayon CD5 that is being asked but our good ole Bassraptor (Sujesh) has just published his review of his Ayon CD1 player in the STAR today. Perhaps it might help answer some of the questions the OP has.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidA Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:15 pm

KeithW commented -

"I have heard the Ayon CD-5 also."

"I don't think you could say one is better than the other. Personally I prefer the sound of the Esoteric. But if your system already sounds dry and you want to sex it up, you would be better off with the Ayon. Also - with the Ayon you could tube roll and tailor the sound a bit. But in the end, the Esoteric digs more out from the disc. More resolution. The Esoteric will beat ANY CD player up to the level of the Playback Designs and DCS. It put my old Cary to shame when I compared the two. It gives the Wadia a very good run for its money." -

I am aware of the audition Keith did of the CD-5 as that was my player. What should be noted is, at that time I was using my CD-5 as pre-amp with an average (by high end standards) Classe integrated amp as pa, so there were obvious system limitations. Clearly bypassing the Ayon's pre-amp section to a high end pre & p a would have produced different results. I do agree that tube rolling can produce not just different results, but quite decent objective sonic gains. I now have the latest CD-5s which i've rolled with NOS 6h-30DR's & upgraded op-amps and I have been amazed by the improvement over my old CD-5.

The CD-5s employs a stack of 4 BB PCM1704k dac chips in a dual mono configuration. The 'k' is the more tightly matched version with higher performance parameters. The BB chips may not be the most detailed dac chips in the world, but imho they are more musical sounding than most other chips. Good or bad sound does not depend on how much resolution a disc has...that depends more on the mastering. Similarly, the sound of a player does not depend on how much resolution it has, but how natural, dynamic & musical it sounds. Vive la differance I guess.

Last edited by DavidA on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:08 pm; edited 6 times in total

DavidA

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:02 am

Does anybody knows whether those latest CD player with usb input ( like the wadia 381i) capable of playing hirez ( 24/192 ) ?

thanks

shbehmal
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Dave, good to see you here Smile
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidA Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:01 pm

WongKK wrote:Hi Dave, good to see you here Smile
...there is a slim shady lurking Cool

DavidA

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Nice to see two friends from 'down under' are now with us.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content