Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

what to buy?

+13
kwwong
tlkoo
WongKK
WongKN
jokiarch
kychoo99
chamts1
VS126
car o scope
zeebee
tycham
alfred
Enjoy the music
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

what to buy? - Page 2 Empty Re: what to buy?

Post by WongKN Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:06 am

Actually the world of 'strong' solid-state amps doesn't start and end with Krell. Furthermore some range of Krells have a sonic characteristic that may not be a good match to all speakers. They can sound 'macho', to the extent of being hifi-ish rather than musical when matched to the wrong speakers. But the same generation of Krells when paired to a matching speaker can sound sublime. E.g. Krell KSA-300S (the generation before the FPBs) with Sonus Faber Extrema vs a pair of Spendor SP2/2s for e.g. Actually my opinion is that it is the same with all amps, not only Krells.

My suggestion is that if one really wants to investigate the world of 'strong' but also musical solid-state amp, don't stop at Krells. There are plenty of great musical s-s amps available; Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland, Soulution, FM Acoustics, etc. For more affordable alternatives, the Odyssey have been giving lots of people great results. You can also consider Aragon, Parasound, etc.

Similarly, to those who wants to investigate the world of valves/tubes, I suggest to try to experience as wide a range as possible, classic designs like Audio Research, SETs (including high end SETs like AirTight), and so forth, don't only start and stop at the classic Quad and Leak, etc, even for speakers like Rogers and its brothers.

Eventually my opinion remains the same, that as we go higher and higher end, all amps will converge to a common sound - that of live music.

Lots of reference is being made to Jo and his supposedly 'famous' (by now) move from Quad monoblocks to FM monoblocks. But the link given earlier in this thread doesn't tell the whole story (hint, look at the date). In about a month and a half's time, at KLAVS 2011, it should be an interesting experience for many people as Jo sort of reveals his most current set-up to the world.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 pm

WongKN wrote:Lots of reference is being made to Jo and his supposedly 'famous' (by now) move from Quad monoblocks to FM monoblocks. But the link given earlier in this thread doesn't tell the whole story (hint, look at the date). In about a month and a half's time, at KLAVS 2011, it should be an interesting experience for many people as Jo sort of reveals his most current set-up to the world.

I do hope that we have the special sneak preview before the KLIAV Razz
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Won't you be too busy trying to set your own room in order ?
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm

WongKN wrote:Won't you be too busy trying to set your own room in order ?
As Chinese says 'Hang own neck also have to breathe for a while' Razz

I am only going for Hi-Fi setup this year and not HT. It should be better this time. Moving in of all those gears is on Wed. Thurs mostly fine tuning of system.
htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Enjoy the music Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:05 pm

good evening. thanks to those that offered to test with their amps. very kind people indeed. at the moment, testing with arcam alpha 9. noticed the following compared with audiolab 8000s:- more details, higher highs and lower lows, clearer, sharper sometimes piercing, the bass stronger/bigger, slight turn up and its pretty loud, grand/bigger soundstage, overall i prefer the arcam sound. since this is loan/exchange will return next week. this test shows that the ls5/9 is capable of more. the search goes on ....
Enjoy the music
Enjoy the music

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Enjoy the music wrote:good evening. thanks to those that offered to test with their amps. very kind people indeed. at the moment, testing with arcam alpha 9. noticed the following compared with audiolab 8000s:- more details, higher highs and lower lows, clearer, sharper sometimes piercing, the bass stronger/bigger, slight turn up and its pretty loud, grand/bigger soundstage, overall i prefer the arcam sound. since this is loan/exchange will return next week. this test shows that the ls5/9 is capable of more. the search goes on ....

Aye, your speaker is definitely capable of more ... hence, you should tried (audition) it out with even more 'powerful' amp (be it solid state or tubes) before deciding on the upgrade ... the arcam would not do your LS5/9 justice. In my humble opinion only.

Regards,

The novice
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-01-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Wadia
Amplification: Krell + Mcintosh
Speakers: Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by Enjoy the music Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 pm

good evening. thanks for the advise. another kind hfl have allowed me to test his amp, quad 66 preamp and 606 power amp. the sound of instruments are very realistic. voice was very clear and very nice to listen to. very easily drive the speakers. can hear more details and overall everything sounded 'bigger'. at least now i know how my speakers sound on a rm6500 amp.
Enjoy the music
Enjoy the music

Back to top Go down

Post by chamts1 Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:47 am

Hi ETM,
Nice to know you finally get to listen the old Quad amp. Be careful if you hunt for 606 power amp, the one you listened is mk1. That friend had mk2 before this set but sold off...we feel mk2 sounded rough compared mk1 in our systems. Looking at the front face, generally mk1 is rectangular shape with sharp corners, mk2 the 4 corners chamferred off (this is what I was told)....
kind regards

chamts1
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Enjoy the music Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 am

good morning ChamTS, thanks to you! noted. quad mk1. sweet and realistic music of quad cd player, 66 pre and 606 mk1 power, quad cables and interconnects and the beautiful harbeth hl super 5. can play / crank very loud and still sounded musical and enjoyable. if i remember correctly the volume was between 11-12 o'clock. thanks again.
Enjoy the music
Enjoy the music

Back to top Go down

Post by sph Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:40 pm

So many recommendations and suggestions have been made up to this stage. High power, low power, solid state, tubes etc ... You have heard all the arguments and opinions from fellow forumers. Now you have to decide.

As the saying goes "one man's meat is another man's poison". Given the same set-up, one's perception of the performance may differ from another.
Every individual has his/her own tastes which may differ from others.

At the end of the day, it is up to you to decide what you like best. Go try out all the amps you can possibly get hold of, at the dealers or friends'. High power, low power. solid state, tubes - try them all if you can. Take your time. The one you like will be the one that put a smile on your face!

Good luck! Don't forget to enjoy the music .....

sph
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Enjoy the music Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 am

good morning and thanks. reading your comments already put a smile on my face. thanks sph.
Enjoy the music
Enjoy the music

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum