Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!)

+6
daddy
Cooltube
antaklugom
jazzy939
don_nad
mugenfoo
10 posters

Go down

Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Empty Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!)

Post by mugenfoo Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:10 am

Got this from the lowyat.net forum....

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/657422/+1700

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

Brave souls.

Anyone here tried this method before ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Empty Re: Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!)

Post by don_nad Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:38 am

I wash my dirty LP with cheap labour soap, the multipurpose soap our grandma use for laundry and bathing too. Just wet the LP and rub your soapy fingers along the groove. Flush clean under running tap and let it dry under the fan. Thats all, but please keep your finger nail short. BTW anyone knows where can i get new LP sleeve?

don_nad

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Empty Re: Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!)

Post by jazzy939 Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:02 am

don_nad,
I got my supply from one of the sellers in Amcorp Mall, PJ.

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:34 am

don_nad wrote:I wash my dirty LP with cheap labour soap, the multipurpose soap our grandma use for laundry and bathing too. Just wet the LP and rub your soapy fingers along the groove. Flush clean under running tap and let it dry under the fan. Thats all, but please keep your finger nail short. BTW anyone knows where can i get new LP sleeve?

Whoa .. these kind of soap is sure to FuKK up the LPs good. They contain something called "Caustic Soda" (that gives the nice bubbly effect) which actually is very caustic to the vinyl surface. Over time, the vinyl will lose its shine and the sound gets very noisy although you dont see any scratches.

Bad bad bad . bad bad bad bad bad.

Suggest you get a bottle of Amway LOC (liquid organic cleaner), the bio-degradeable kind. Except for the irritating perfume, its very safe on vinyl surfaces and cleans it pretty well. Rinse with filtered water and it won't even leave any watermarks while drying.

Avoid tap water unless u got those "sediment filter" installed in your home incoming water supply. Othewise our tap water actually contains alot of sediments that can damage the record surface while cleaning.

New LP sleeves ? how many u want ? about 50 or 70 cents a piece. AMCorp got, some shops in PJ also got .... which reminds me .. i need to get some too.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:47 am

Oh yes.. caustic soda no good to vinyl! Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_mad
Yup, using Amway's LOC when necessary.
For really dirty and stubborn grime, gunks and whatnots: woodglue! Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_razz

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Believe it or not......my friend said he uses Surgical Spirit sold at the Pharmacy !!! And he has tons and tons of those classic Vinyls !!! (from Stylers Group to
the Romance of the Red Chamber.....)
I asked him whether spirit has any bad effect on the Vinyl, he said No !

Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_biggrin Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_biggrin Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_biggrin
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:10 am

surgical spirit is very pure iso-propyl alcohol (i think). Yes, safe on plastics in general and evaporates nicely too.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:06 am

Now I understand why my friend uses that Surgical Spirit (he normally buy from the Pharmacy !!! ).... despite my initial shock when he repeated the answer (I asked him twice to be sure, incase my ears were Tricking me !!!)
Thanks bro. Mugen....
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by don_nad Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:50 am

Thank you fren for the advice. Hope my vinyl not permenantly damage.

don_nad

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:31 pm

For really dirty (second hand esp) vinyls try ladies face mask make up liquid. Apply thinly avoiding the centre label, let dry and then do the other side. Leave for twenty minutes until dry. Peel off carefully and you're done. This stuff is safe for your skin yet yet pulls out tiny dirt, oils and blackheads from your sensitive skin. So it should be safe for your comparatively 'harder vinyl'. If in doubt try on a test dirty vinyl-something you don't listen to but got one. Idea
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by daddy Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:03 pm

try to look for the real vinyls clearning kit , as i know it have a product in the market it cost more but it really do the job well. Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_smile Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_smile
daddy
daddy

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Why don't you just buy a proper vacumn-based LP cleaner machine ? It is pricey but it is well worth it. When you use solvents like alcohol, it will dissolve the dirt inside the groove and a powerful vacumn will lift the liquid together with the dirt off the record once and for all. Very good qualify locally made machines are going for around RM1.7-1.8k. A Clearaudio Smart LP cleaning machine costs around RM2.5k, maybe a bit more now with inflation. If those prices are a bit high, try to shop around and see if there are other lower priced locally made machines available in the market. Or maybe try to hunt for used ones. Just using the liquid is usually not good enough.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:24 am

actually i "discovered" an even more effective way to clean records and it wont break the bank on this one.:

Tools needed:
1 rubber platter mat (from some junked turntable or just go buy one).
1 proper vinyl scrubber brush. I recommend the VPI nylon bristle brush.
1 bottle of Amway LOC, mixed as per the instructions.
1 water sprayer bottle (for the LOC + water mixture).
1 working el-cheapo Turntable with el-cheapo cartridge. (Must be properly set up, correct weight, anti-skate etc); Will explain later.

Operating instructions:
1. Clean the record in question on the rubber mat by spraying a generous amount of the LOC mixture on the vinyl.
2. scrub it good with the VPI (or similar) brush.
3. rinse generously with water. Standby some tissue to wipe dry the label quickly (or not, if you don't care too much for the centre label)
4. repeat for other side.
5a. Wipe dry with a cotton cloth (don't worry about the lint first)
5b. Brush the vinyl surface once over with a typical dry-brush surface (like those carbon bristle brush or that clearaudio felt-cloth brush, any one will do.)
6. Play the record on the el-cheapo TT and let the stylus do the coup-de-grace on the grooves. Repeat for flip side. (Now this TT is really getting useful). Play at 45rpm if you're impatient or just leave it at 33-1/3. A Rega P1 would be perfect for the job! Doesn't matter if its connected or not. If yes,then it can be a TT for the 2nd system and used as background music as well!

Voila!

Downsides:
1. its not as "instant" as a dedicated record sucker cleaner.

Plus points:
1. The ubër budget TT is way more functional than a record sucker machine, it plays music too (on your 2nd system) albeit with some initial dust noise but who cares right? .

2. The cleaning effect is perhaps just as good as the couple of thousand dollar Loricraft "Groove-by-groove" record cleaner.

All comments welcome for this idiosyncratic & eccentric approach above.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:32 am

what an ingenius (ingenuity) way..... !!! But wouldn't the VPI brush Grazed the Tiny Grooves on the Vinyl ? Anyway having been explain in great detaily by Bro.
Mugen, I do hope some " Takers " here especially for the very dirty " Newly found " Vinyl Records from the " yesteryears "
Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_biggrin Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_biggrin Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_biggrin
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:50 am

The VPI brush bristles are not fine enough to really dig deep into the record grooves. But they are soft enough such that u can scrub quite hard and not damage the record. Good for cleaning mold and overal oil stains from the record surface. But for really deep groove cleaning, nothing beats using the diamond stylus itself in digging out all the stubborn dirt.

For certain trouble spots (that the stylus just cannot dig out the dirt), then its either some sticky residue in which case scrubbing with surgical spirit and a cotton bud is very useful, or failing which would mean in-groove damage already.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by highcut28 Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Check out these two methods:

This uses PVA glue and i guess it adheres to the dirt in the grooves to be peeled away later
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63451&highlight=glue

Next is a comercial device that I am sure can be DIYed and will have you getting out the pressure cleaner !
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

Good luck and Happy New Year
Wink

highcut28
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:48 pm

You would not have guessed it.
Whats better than woodglue to deepclean the vinyl?

STEAM! No, really! This is not April, I know! Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_razz

Better than VPI and woodglue put together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OjtKUZ048&feature=related

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272753

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 am

Finally got myself a proper record cleaner and DAMN is it NOISY !!

For a typical 40 year old LP, even after scrubbing with the VPI nylon brush and vacumm-drying it, the first playback will always have alot of residue collected on the stylus of a soft pastey gunky texture.

This grandmaster of LPs (whom i shall not name due to his request to remain anonymous, lest his name be used/abused to lend weight at such forums) says that such records need to go thru about 5 rounds of playback and cleaning cycles to really get all the stubborn dirt out .
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:28 am

Good for you, mugenfoo! The noise is from the suction?
I guess it all depends how bad the vinyl has been neglected, right?
5 rounds of playbacks after VPI cleaning? Wow.. Cleaning vinyl with WOOD GLUE (?? !!) Icon_razz
Wonder what 'normal' cleaning would achive...

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SVI3206A Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 am

INteresting all the ways to clean vinyl, i am scared to clean mine, but i used to clean Grandmas with metholated spirits, they seem fine.

Now i use a Nagaoka Rolling 152, its good at pricking up dust in the groves, and can be washed

SVI3206A

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by utellme Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

I clean my LP with Amway LOC and also with "cyber clean" cleaning compound.

utellme

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down