Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system?

+30
Amir
elhefe
tycham
chua55
azri
Bite
sph
sswong3374
llsaw
kkthen
junchoon
BrAvO
sanguine
noodle88
alex
musikaki
tlkoo
bimmerman
dennis611
fizi
jemmi
chamts1
jazzy939
uncle_vic
sflam
mugenfoo
WongKN
car o scope
Chewkw
happett
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Empty Re: How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system?

Post by llsaw Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:19 pm

azri wrote:mugen whats your size of te37, is it fifteen inch? do you have to use center cone for vr & vr nuts are consider a must? 2saw, how much for those gramlights? rm3k? theres one set here in aussie its about rm3.6k after currency conversion.

ok back to hifi discussion How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Lol

The Gram Lights cost me ~4.5K for 16X7"

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Empty Re: How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system?

Post by mugenfoo Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:24 pm

is this some new hifi lingo ? How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Lol How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Lol How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Lol
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:50 pm

gang-bang at its best What a Face
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Actually it's going to cost one hell of alot of $$$$$$, to get it to sing properly to tune of what most hifi gurus will consider 'good sounding'!!! How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_lol Generally speaking at least. How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin Skimp on any area and the sound suffers! How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_sad I think about RM100k to spend on the setup will probably make me very happy! How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin But don't look at me, I have very diffierent taste la.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:21 pm

uncle_vic wrote: I think about RM100k to spend on the setup will probably make me very happy!

Probably that amount spent on a setup would make most of us here happy too.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 pm

tycham wrote:
uncle_vic wrote: I think about RM100k to spend on the setup will probably make me very happy!

Probably that amount spent on a setup would make most of us here happy too.

But your wife might not be very happy with u.....
Haha.....
I have no problem with this....
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 am

noodle88 wrote:

But your wife might not be very happy with u.....
Haha.....
I have no problem with this....

Congratulation to you since both you and your spouse can sing and dance together to the tune of the Thénardier Waltz!
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:31 pm

happet,

high quality sound definition is different from one person to another. But in general, the more RM you spend, the better the sound is. However, you can hear a big different comparing an RM5000 set up with an RM15000 set up. But as you go higher up the scale, it starts to be difficult to hear the difference between an RM50,000 set up and RM75,000 set up.

My advice, wait for the KLIAV show this year where you can demo various systems all in one day Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:01 pm

If u r into diy Hifi , u may find a RM 1 upgrade in your system may make big big different. As u go higher end, the more sensitive your system will be. It would have a bigger jump when u have a rm75000 system compare to rm50k system. Everything will make big different.
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by happett Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 pm

elhefe wrote:happet,

high quality sound definition is different from one person to another. But in general, the more RM you spend, the better the sound is. However, you can hear a big different comparing an RM5000 set up with an RM15000 set up. But as you go higher up the scale, it starts to be difficult to hear the difference between an RM50,000 set up and RM75,000 set up.

My advice, wait for the KLIAV show this year where you can demo various systems all in one day Smile

Wa, very difficult to wait for so long more after hearing multiple auditions at the local hifi shops ... now bekside very itchy di...

So far I think the systems that I audition are varying very much in terms of prices. But the sound quality also varies.

The one I like the most (but definitely can't afford) is the Magico spks with Soulution amp (supreme sound at Audio Image but > RM 80K?? did not dare to ask, just listen only) Did audition the Audio Physic with Exposure Amp and CDP, great sounds too.

My next preference is ATC SCM 19 spks with Krell S 300i and Marantz SA 7003 but cost is roughly RM19K - still above my budget. Krell amp can easily drive the ATC's which are good in mid range, bass is also adequate. If want keep to within my budget then it will have to be the Krell + the Marantz + B&W 685 spks (all from Hiway Laser) plus cables - which comes to about RM14K. But the Krell sounds a bit on the bright side, oozing power ... (I am just about thinking I might get a tube amp to get the warm sounds... How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin )

Others that I like is Audio Synthesis' (in Amcorp Mall) BE ONE 3011 CDPlayer and BE One 8011 Amp. Good sounds and when matched with good speakers, perhaps a Harbeth C7 or even B&W should be great. The BE ONE CDP and Amp alone will cost me about RM6K to RM7K, so plus a Harbeth C7 at RM8K, plus some Van den Hul cables will be about RM15K, just about right.

Also went to audition Synthesis Hybrid Tubes + Solid states CDP and Amp at Desa Home Theatre. Quite good with the proper cables - Audioquest G Snakes and Supra Rondo 4 x 2.5. Cost is about RM15K with ATC SCM 11 spks, or about RM19K with ATC SCM 19.

Next up, I went to audition Harbeth SHL5 and Compact 7ES with Quad amp and CDP at Tropical Audio.
I did not like it as much as I thought I would after reading the many good reviews. Cost would be about RM20K if matched with a Rega Elicit amp and Rega Apollo CDP.

And now recently after reading about the bass boom, which I did not experience at Tropical Audio, I went to Rock Corner at Subang Parade, which has the older Harbeths HL5, same as what Tropical Audio demo their Harbeths, I did get to hear the bass booming while they were playing the Wonder Girls Taiwan Special Edition, songs => Nobody, So Hot. (the tunes very catchy and found my bum and shoulders moving from side to side... strange how young girls' voices can affect older men...) But at another time, they played Sade and the Harbeth's bass was very tight and solid. So I think it depends on certain CDs which may generate the low frequencies that cause this.

So now have to decide soon.... sleepless nights await me, sweaty palms, perspiration and mood swings are now almost norm. Why is the hifi fever so severe????

Last edited by happett on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

happett

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Ah... so NOW you know ha....

I am glad you find the Soulution/Magico sound 'supreme'. Why not ask Adrian for a suggestion for his best recommendation to meet your budget ? You must tell him that you are not uptight about new or used equipment, except that the system must sound good and the equipment in good condition lar.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amir Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 pm

You guys are real sifus in Kung Fu Hi Fi. Me own only one cheap US amp, a pair UK's vintage speaker and one Japanese cdp aslo already feel good. Everyday hear and hear... sleep... wakeup and here again..... Smile

Amir
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:56 pm

We are all still learning and sharing knowledge here..
There are even more enthusiasts who don't even bother to look at forums and just enjoy music at home. Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tanbotak Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:31 pm

I attended my UTM lecturer class in acoustic engineering . he is the professor in acoustic engineering . Some criteria need take care for the good set up .

1. Your sound source . Eg : CD / DVD / Blu-ray was burn in wide musical freq range ?

2. Your hearing musical room space . How big was your room ?

3. Your room cure with RT60 ? Was the RT60 spec meet ?

4. Sound pollution . eg: near to the air port , construction , beside high way .

5. Acoustic material used in your room .

6. air gap in your room . eg: the door air gap , window air gap

7. your wall construction and door material need to know .

If you take care all of these items , You may not need spend too much money on your set up . I am sure will within your budget .

tanbotak
tanbotak

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:42 pm

tanbotak wrote:

I attended my UTM lecturer class in acoustic engineering . he is the professor in acoustic engineering . Some criteria need take care for the good set up .

1. Your sound source . Eg : CD / DVD / Blu-ray was burn in wide musical freq range ?

2. Your hearing musical room space . How big was your room ?

3. Your room cure with RT60 ? Was the RT60 spec meet ?

4. Sound pollution . eg: near to the air port , construction , beside high way .

5. Acoustic material used in your room .

6. air gap in your room . eg: the door air gap , window air gap

7. your wall construction and door material need to know .

If you take care all of these items , You may not need spend too much money on your set up . I am sure will within your budget .

By fulfilling all the above-mentioned criteria, you might not have enough money left to buy the rest of the equipments.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:15 pm

The hard truth How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_razz
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Source(s): Oppo
Amplification: Parasound
Speakers: Klipsch

Back to top Go down

Post by Amir Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:23 pm

...until the end of my life, i couldnt afford the RM100k's system ... The RM1.5k it enough to bring happiness for me... Heh heh...

Amir
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by happett Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Yesterday, I bought a CD to test out hifi systems. A Tsai Chin Test Machine CD, which was strangely reddish orange in colour. It is not like any CD I have ever seen, and I have initial problems to use EAC to make a copy of it onto hard disk. The CD seems to have very good soundstage and clarity ( is it XRCD?? not sure) . Another good CD to test is the Erich Kunzel's Round up or Time Warp.. ( I have the Round Up but not the Time Warp)..

Now can use it test out some more systems...

How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Bsc0061

How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Bsc0060

How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Bsc0085

How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Bsc0062

happett

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 pm

The most expensive CD I have is Jeniffer Warnes - The Hunter. It's called LPCD45 which I bought out of curiosity. The printed surface has been made to interestingly looks like vinyl. The data surface is dark purple. I'm not familiar with the songs so I can't tell whether it's better than normal print or not.

Maybe I need to get HDCD titles which I'm very familiar with such as Eagles or Aaron Neville. The question now is do they really worth the extra price.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 pm

arremie,

Do you mean XRCD titles?
There are lots of China made HDCD at music stores nowadays.
I have never tried them before. So, cannot comment much... hahahahaha..

I only have the normal version of The Hunter. Smile
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 pm

Yup those XRCD/HDCD around RM120 per CD. Wonder if they worth it. I saw a lot from HK. Even my LPCD also from there. Anyway I have to admit I like the only LPCD I have. It sounded so relax. Solid bass, clear sounding, good timbre and not too forward sounding vocal. Need to borrow normal version and compare to be very sure.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:11 am

Hugo audiophile CD no.14 comes in a LPCD1630 together with a redbook CD for easy comparison. U may want to ask your regular CD shop if they have it.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by happett Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Uncle Vic! many thanks for letting me have a listen to your setup! I am thoroughly impressed with your capability to create a system in a listening room that can give a sound stage where I can actually feel that I am in a big orchestra hall or a small one depending on the CD sounds.

How on earth did you manage to get the musical bass under control with your SIX (6) sub-woofers is a bit beyond me. With 4 other speakers together with Ribbon tweeters, the sound generated is quite magical.

But I am sure glad I got to know you. Basically I found that all of my CDs sound so much different on your system. Can hear the details and timbre so clearly. And thanks for giving me a lesson on listening skills!

I think the sound that can be closest to yours would be the Magico speakers with Soulution amp that I heard. How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_cool

Last edited by happett on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)

happett

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Happett, U are welcome. Glad u enjoy the listen session.

Wah Liao! U are not serous are u? The Magico & Soul-Lution combi?
Nearly 'pengsan' on reading this! How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:13 pm

arremie wrote:The most expensive CD I have is Jeniffer Warnes - The Hunter. It's called LPCD45 which I bought out of curiosity. The printed surface has been made to interestingly looks like vinyl. The data surface is dark purple. I'm not familiar with the songs so I can't tell whether it's better than normal print or not.

Maybe I need to get HDCD titles which I'm very familiar with such as Eagles or Aaron Neville. The question now is do they really worth the extra price.

LPCD45 are all CDR media, may be unplayable on some CDP's that weren't designed for CDR. However there's a cheaper Hugo made LPCD trademarked as LPCD 1630, which looks like normal aluminum press and likely no problem with any CDP.
Eagles or AN in HDCD?.. How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_eek Those 2 are available in XRCD albums. They're mastered to sound more dynamic.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by joydivision Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:22 pm

The bass reproduction on Uncle Vic's system can even match Wilson Watt Puppy leh. How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Fresse
joydivision
joydivision
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 pm

With 6 subwoffer, can even break the house....
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 am

cmboy wrote:
LPCD45 are all CDR media, may be unplayable on some CDP's that weren't designed for CDR. However there's a cheaper Hugo made LPCD trademarked as LPCD 1630, which looks like normal aluminum press and likely no problem with any CDP.
Eagles or AN in HDCD?.. How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_eek Those 2 are available in XRCD albums. They're mastered to sound more dynamic.

Yeah I saw Eagle XRCD. Is it a definite improvement worth the price or just subtle. So far I never encounter any LPCD 1630 or maybe I wasn't paying attention because of the price How much RM$ needed to get a "High" quality stereo system? - Page 3 Icon_razz
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jemmi Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Somebody selling Harbeth HL5 at reasonable price today, very unlucky I just upgrade my speaker form Sonus Faber to Dynaudio. If not I may be grab this Harbeth. I like HL5 compare than new SHL5. Who are the lucky owner?
jemmi
jemmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Jemmi,

If u like the hl5 so much why not trade your dynaudio for a pair of HL5?
as long as u like it n no regrate
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jemmi Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:19 pm

My whole system already upgrade to match with Dynaudio speaker. Can't afford to invest another maching system for Harbeth speaker. My target for Harbeth HL5 is Quad CDP + Quad Pre + Quad Power & full set Artisan cable (http://www.artisansilvercables.com/). I also like my current Dynaudio system very much, that's me always appreciate what I have. Hi hi hi (syok sendiri)...
jemmi
jemmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3