Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Which high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge produces the least surface noise?

4 posters

Go down

Which high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge produces the least surface noise? Empty Which high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge produces the least surface noise?

Post by llsaw Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:16 am

If I understand correctly from reading and surfing around, some high end turntables/tonearm/cartridge combos produce less of the ticks and pops than others. My Clearaudio Ovation, Clarify and Stradivari V2 MC catridge combo is certainly not quiet unfortunately and I'm curious as to which are (quiet)? In another post I was told the TW Acustik Raven is quieter. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by llsaw on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Which high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge produces the least surface noise? Empty Re: Which high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge produces the least surface noise?

Post by llsaw Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:04 pm

No one? Very surprising..

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage

Back to top Go down

Which high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge produces the least surface noise? Empty Re: Which high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge produces the least surface noise?

Post by highcut28 Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:53 pm

I quote from a member of a UK forum pfm that i am a member of.
Here is what he says:

There are a few of us but we are mainly (smug) quiet. What I like about mine apart from the top notch and rather amazing performance obtainable from vinyl is the lack of surface noise. OK if you have a modern shitty pressing you'll get a few pops but on old records its amazing how quite the surface is. The other thing that I like is that my deck is maintenance free - no bouncy springs/grommets that need adjustment, no oil to replace in the bearings and although I have a spare the designer tells me that the belt should last at least 20 years. The only thing that scares me without 3D vision is the naked cantilever on my DRT XV1-s!

Forgot to add that I had a 301 and my bro had a 401 both were fitted with the SME3009 and Shure V15 Mkxxx and for some reason I seem to remember that I preferred the cheaper 301. That was around 40 years ago when this stuff was new-ish. I can tell you that the TT/arm/cart that I now have is in a totally different league.

highcut28
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by highcut28 Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:56 pm

and when asked what modern tt he used this is what he replied:

I have given this info sometime in the past but since you ask I have a Spiral Groove TT with the Centroid arm. The cart as mentioned above is a DRT XV1-s and the phono stage is a Brinkmann Fein. That phono performs well against stages that cost £4K plus but at half the price. It also has a volume control that allowed me to take the pre-amp out of the chain and much to my surprise improved the SQ.

I had and may still have the only SG kit sold to a consumer in the UK. It was the actual one reviewed in the UK HiFi mags and now imported by Kog http://www.kogaudio.com/spiral-groove/

So Spiral Groove woth its Centroid arm is yr answer.(but i have never heard it myself)
German i think and pretty expensive.
Check out the UK seller of SG

highcut28
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Nice and Thank You! Anyone else?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Somkiet Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Interesting thread. 

I have never been able to calibrate it myself. I hope the OP and others can help. 

Exactly where does high end start? Is it a value over Xk $USD or is it the largest proportion of your disposable income by percentage that you can hide or deny to the Mrs that you actually spent?. 

Or possibly even, money you are prepared to borrow or spend unnecessarily "just" to be a part of "The club"?

Or possibly is it that high end is measured by the number of adjectives, pronouns and superlatives in the marketing blurb? 

Could it even be the pseudo science factor, lets say a rough equation that those with the least electrical or mechanical understanding/ comprehension are allowed or expected to pay more for re-treads and old technology that is just repackaged or re-branded.

I am wondering out loud here. Dangerous I know.

Answers on a gold plated, OCC, brass, cryogenic micron, zircon, Rubicon passed, beryllium oracle postcard.
Somkiet
Somkiet
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Can we please keep to topic

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Somkiet Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:17 pm

I am on-Topic. 

So after spending all that $$ on High end you state:

"My Clearaudio Ovation, Clarify and Stradivari V2 MC catridge combo is certainly not quiet unfortunately"

High End is a ridiculous non specific term invented to comfort people and extort money. 

Your use of the term, loosely, allowed my interjection and by definition proves my point.

Any turntable/tonearm/cartridge stylus combination properly set up can give you minimal unnoticed surface noise. 

There is no such thing as high end.

The high end is sitting right at the top of our body.

Set any combination of the above (tonearm. cartridge, stylus) up correctly and 'Clean Your Records' and you will eliminate most of your surface noise.
Somkiet
Somkiet
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 pm

Moderators, kindly close this post. Thank you

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:59 am

if u read this review, the reviewer willy says the kronos turntable has no surface noise at all

plse click http://av2day.com/2016/01/kronos-sparta-turntable-with-helena-tonearm-zyx-premium-omega-mc-cartridge/

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:56 am

Hello SFLam,

Thanks for your input. I home auditioned this last week and the sound and lack of surface noise is indeed on another level. Unfortunately the price is way above my budget at this point.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:57 am

To keep away the trolls, please do PM me on further discussion wrt this topic. Thanks All.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 pm

yes, llsaw. the kronos is indeed a good turntable. i heard the top model, but that costs $$$$$$.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down