Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays

+11
sflam
azri
kkthen
misterslumber
bimmerman
joeling
mugenfoo
arremie
jcwlow
cmboy
llsaw
15 posters

Go down

Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Empty Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:00 am

As the subject implies. What are your thoughts?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Empty Re: Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays

Post by cmboy Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:31 am

I'd change to better loudspeakers, amplification or both. (or go vinyl, upgrade TT rig as alternate source)
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Empty Re: Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays

Post by jcwlow Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 am

I would agree with cmboy.... many so called "high end" CD players cannot hold a candle to a budget LP player like a Rega P3. I have 2 Lenco L75s paired with basic Rega and Linn arms and I think the sound just about takes every CD player I have heard to the cleaners....including one very high end player which I shall not name.

jcwlow
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm

I rather buy 60" LCD/plasma with that amount of money Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin

or maybe full HD PJ with 100" screen Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_razz
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Source(s): Oppo
Amplification: Parasound
Speakers: Klipsch

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 pm

jcwlow wrote:I would agree with cmboy.... many so called "high end" CD players cannot hold a candle to a budget LP player like a Rega P3. I have 2 Lenco L75s paired with basic Rega and Linn arms and I think the sound just about takes every CD player I have heard to the cleaners....including one very high end player which I shall not name.

But it also depends on the repertoire of music in your collection.

If u got alot of old Julie London, Skeeter Davies & Nat King Cole kind of music , of course its better to have a decent LP setup, as the CD versions of these artists would have been horribly mastered onto digital anyways. Not even a dCS Scarlatti can save them.

But if u happen to have alot of Marilyn Manson, Rammstein and the like ... CD's the only way to go, then what better way to enjoy them than to spin them on a dCS Scarlatti front end (+ u can afford it as well lah) ?

In a nutshell, "it all depends!!"

Last edited by mugenfoo on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 pm

arremie wrote:I rather buy 60" LCD/plasma with that amount of money Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin
or maybe full HD PJ with 100" screen Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_razz

Sorry but you're out of the focus. Anyone can think of numerous other things to do with 20k.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 pm

If your system is over 100K & sounds it then by all means lah. However, not all expensive stuff sounds nice & not all cheap stuff sound horrible.

Specifically, which make & model are u looking at ?

What is your system configuration like ?
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 pm

cmboy, It's ok. I know a lot of things can be done with that amount of money but as for me I wouldn't go crazy and spend that much on CDP alone. The other equipment in the link such as pre/pro, cable and of course speakers play important role as well. If I can afford to spend 20k on a CDP then I'll have to make sure I can afford to spend another obscene amount of money for the rest of the equipment in the link to match that 20k CDP. Just my 2c Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_smile
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:02 pm

mugenfoo wrote:
jcwlow wrote:I would agree with cmboy.... many so called "high end" CD players cannot hold a candle to a budget LP player like a Rega P3. I have 2 Lenco L75s paired with basic Rega and Linn arms and I think the sound just about takes every CD player I have heard to the cleaners....including one very high end player which I shall not name.

But it also depends on the repertoire of music in your collection.

If u got alot of old Julie London, Skeeter Davies & Nat King Cole kind of music , of course its better to have a decent LP setup, as the CD versions of these artists would have been horribly mastered onto digital anyways. Not even a dCS Scarlatti can save them.

But if u happen to have alot of Marilyn Manson, Rammstein and the like ... CD's the only way to go, then what better way to enjoy them than to spin them on a dCS Scarlatti front end (+ u can afford it as well lah) ?

In a nutshell, "it all depends!!"

Hey, I was asking the exact same question a couple-o months ago. So, i'm not alone here I guess. So, what are you targeting if I may ask? Burmester? Mark Levinson? Krell? Wadia? DCS?

A very balanced opinion from Mugenfoo in my humble opinion. If your choice of music exists mostly in the redbook format then you'll need a redbook spinner. Yup, RM20K should be able to get you a multi box DCS Scarlatti setup secondhand which would probably retail for RM60K or more brand new. Such a setup would more than plug the shortcomings of redbook and add a few sonic niceties in the mix methinks. I do agree that redbook is a flawed and inferior format and the ultimate goal with expensive CD players is to achieve sound that tansforms the redbook format into something better.

As for me, I was blissfully happy with a Cary CD300 dual 20bit valve CD player which strangely to my ears, did not carry any of the loathed redbook signatures mentioned in these forums. I can definately do more than hold a candle, it could toast a Rega P3 in toe tapping rhythymic ease, musicality and definately in absolute absence in surface noise.

Then one day I got curious and asked the RM20,000.00 question. And the question sounded like this: If the RM12,000.00 Cary CD300 sounds so good, what would a CD player double or triple that price sound like??? Shocked
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Like anyone can think like this, "Hey its my money, I can indulge and please myself anyhow". If one have the bucks, prepared to splash out, the heart rules the head, why not?.. Do what you think is right by you. NO crime commited here.

P.S. Kindly disregard wifey or WAF into the equation, it'll only complicate matters.
Not too long ago, a buddy brought wifey to Adelphi to shop for hifi... AND... he came with NOTHING. except for some replacement tubes in the pocket.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:40 pm

joeling wrote:If your system is over 100K & sounds it then by all means lah. However, not all expensive stuff sounds nice & not all cheap stuff sound horrible.

Its just a general question at this point. I have a Rega Saturn but then there's the nice Isis Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_smile I've heard high end CD players from the likes of Mark Levinson, Oracle, Nagra, etc so the sound debate is not the issue here. Oviously if you're going to be spending more than twice what you currently own it better make better sound. and yes I have a fairly substantial CD collection (to me) but zero LPs at this point. Am really tempted by this nice Clearaudio Performance Magnum tt but am also thinking whether its worth upgrading my CD player.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 pm

arremie wrote:I rather buy 60" LCD/plasma with that amount of money Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin

Sorry am not an "AV Enthusiasts". Besides TVs arguably lose their value even faster than audiophile CD players at this point of time Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_razz

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:54 pm

llsaw wrote: Am really tempted by this nice Clearaudio Performance Magnum tt but am also thinking whether its worth upgrading my CD player.

Looks like TT and vinyl will be a new adventure for you and nobody can decide for you, but merely suggest.
It'll boil down to your own call depending on your own reasoning and justification.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm

cmboy wrote:
llsaw wrote: Am really tempted by this nice Clearaudio Performance Magnum tt but am also thinking whether its worth upgrading my CD player.

Looks like TT and vinyl will be a new adventure for you and nobody can decide for you, but merely suggest.
It'll boil down to your own call depending on your own reasoning and justification.

Would've been great to be able to afford both upgrades though but alas..

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 pm

llsaw wrote:
Would've been great to be able to afford both upgrades though but alas..

Yes, everyone have dreams anytime. But then again, its entirely YOU yourself who may harbor all the answers and reasoning to make your dreams come true or not.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by misterslumber Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Guys, I don't think the question of $$$ arise at all. You should be asking "Can I afford the rm20k cdp?" instead of whether "Is it worth spending rm20k on a cdp?". If you have the excess $$$, go buy it if you like it but if you don't have the $$$, no need to fret about it lah! There is no such thing as worth it or not worth it but definitely a "yes, I like it and can afford it".

misterslumber

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:26 pm

misterslumber wrote:Guys, I don't think the question of $$$ arise at all. You should be asking "Can I afford the rm20k cdp?" instead of whether "Is it worth spending rm20k on a cdp?". If you have the excess $$$, go buy it if you like it but if you don't have the $$$, no need to fret about it lah! There is no such thing as worth it or not worth it but definitely a "yes, I like it and can afford it".

Can I afford the $$$ = I should think so Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin But is it worth paying so much money after all the latest announcements and furore over the CDRB format. I don't know..

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by misterslumber Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:44 pm

OK, if you doubt it, then it answers your question. Maybe I should rephrase to "If you like it and can afford it". Music is very personal. You like it, you buy it. If there's any doubts, move on.

misterslumber

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by kkthen Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 pm

IIsaw, if you are perfectionist. This is worth it to get the highend CD player. Unless you want to start new journey for TT world. If you ask worth it get TT player which more than rm20K. The answer still same, if you are perfectionist you should get it.

kkthen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm

id rather buy krell big bad ass power amp What a Face
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:54 pm

haha 20k not enuf for big bad ass krell. 2nd hand maybe Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:12 pm

azri wrote:id rather buy krell big bad ass power amp Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Fresse

Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Star3

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:16 pm

"A fool and his money are soon parted" So goes the old adage. For a rich fool it don't matter much I suppose but for a poor fool, it could be dire!

Research before you buy anything involving hard earned money. Be warned!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 pm

imho,
if u wan to spend that kind of money on a cd player at this point in time, u shld future-proof it.

chk out the models from naim, bladelius and esoteric which offers ripping plus usb input for streaming from computer and internet.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Your justification is more than good enough. Having a good CD collection that u will get more enjoyment out of if u get a better CD player is a very valid reason. Go & listen & try to do some home audition before u spring for it.

Personally, I think CD technology is pretty mature already. So, no need to fear obsolesance by next month Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_redface. I've had my DAC for the last 10 years already & only now feel the itch to upgrade Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_twisted .

Just do it already & tell us about it later.

llsaw wrote:
joeling wrote:If your system is over 100K & sounds it then by all means lah. However, not all expensive stuff sounds nice & not all cheap stuff sound horrible.

Its just a general question at this point. I have a Rega Saturn but then there's the nice Isis Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_smile I've heard high end CD players from the likes of Mark Levinson, Oracle, Nagra, etc so the sound debate is not the issue here. Oviously if you're going to be spending more than twice what you currently own it better make better sound. and yes I have a fairly substantial CD collection (to me) but zero LPs at this point. Am really tempted by this nice Clearaudio Performance Magnum tt but am also thinking whether its worth upgrading my CD player.

Regards,
Joe Ling
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 pm

as far as i can remember, my denon pm 260 is the one & only amp that i bought new at the RIP pennylane, subang jaya.. so with that rm20k, id buy a second hand big bad ass krell (perhaps monoblock), off course will have to spare some for the family to cover my up my ass.. you know the infamous lie "ah.. murah je ni, all together dlm dua,tiga ribu je" thingy that you would tell your wife instead of the truth What a Face
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:21 pm

azri wrote:you know the infamous lie "ah.. murah je ni, all together dlm dua,tiga ribu je" thingy that you would tell your wife instead of the truth What a Face

hehehe.. do you mean to teach anyone to be a compulsive liar to the wifey? Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_twisted
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Declare by reducing one zero from the actual price. Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 pm

I have no need to lie to my wife coz one thing she never ask how much no matter what I buy. I think she's happy the fact that I'm staying home fiddling with my equipment.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:16 pm

joking lah bro.. lawak mlm jumaat hahaha
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm

haha ok ok Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_razz
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mofaz Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:29 am

Yes many people who are into hi-fi told me the same storey their wife are happy with the hobby becoz the husband spent lots of time alone infront of the hi-fi set tweeking the set up in the home..easily monitor by the spouse..one hobby that really up-sets the spouses is fishing..

mofaz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:36 am

Or Golf, or Genting or nightclubbing.....
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Hey llsaw,
DId what were the cdps that you auditioned in the 20k range, and have you decided whether the upgrade was worthwhile?

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Many people buy expensive CDP for many and different reasons. Its entirely YOUR call. There's just as many people who're happy with that supermarket sub RM200 tin can, play everything and anything DVD player.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Taking about tin cans, I once bought a DVD player sold in Tesco for 89.90 .
Can play everything you throw at it. The audio (from audio CD) was surprising good. Just after a year it won't read anything, before throwing it to the bin, I open the cover and then I saw, a WOLFSON DAC..
In many things, you DO get what you pay for. Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_tongue
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:00 pm

cmboy wrote:Many people buy expensive CDP for many and different reasons. Its entirely YOUR call. There's just as many people who're happy with that supermarket sub RM200 tin can, play everything and anything DVD player.

CM, yes yes. I have read your previous posts. However, i am keen to hear what llsaw has to say...and what his ears told him to do Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:20 am

dheensay wrote:
cmboy wrote:Many people buy expensive CDP for many and different reasons. Its entirely YOUR call. There's just as many people who're happy with that supermarket sub RM200 tin can, play everything and anything DVD player.

CM, yes yes. I have read your previous posts. However, i am keen to hear what llsaw has to say...and what his ears told him to do Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin

Hi Dheensay,

To answer your question the answer to me is no at this point. I find a ~10K CDP more than suffices and Bassraptor will have additional details Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_biggrin

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Already bought the Ayon or waiting for the new model? Smile
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon May 03, 2010 5:22 pm

car o scope wrote:Already bought the Ayon or waiting for the new model? Smile

Still have the unit on home demo while awaiting shipment to arrive sometime this week. Unless I am able to part with my Saturn I'll probably stick with the CD1S. Too big a hit financially owning 2 cd players Is it worth spending megabucks (>RM20K) on a CD player nowadays Icon_cry

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down