Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Best spk for jazz music

+7
Cooltube
Wan Azami Hamzah
- br@d -
uncle_vic
CT-Boy
mokuto
tannoy
11 posters

Go down

Best spk for jazz music Empty Best spk for jazz music

Post by tannoy Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Anyone knows which is the best bookshelf speaker to play jazz music. Tested too many speakers before but still unable to find one that can really kick the drum and the percussions, as close as the real thing! (i am sure you understand what i am talking about if you have ever heard it live in front of you).
It must have the kind of dynamic impact to hit your face/@@s.

I find it alot easier to get good vocal speakers than Jazz speakers.

tannoy
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Best spk for jazz music Empty Re: Best spk for jazz music

Post by mokuto Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 pm

tannoy wrote:Anyone knows which is the best bookshelf speaker to play jazz music. Tested too many speakers before but still unable to find one that can really kick the drum and the percussions, as close as the real thing! (i am sure you understand what i am talking about if you have ever heard it live in front of you).
It must have the kind of dynamic impact to hit your face/@@s.

I find it alot easier to get good vocal speakers than Jazz speakers.

previously i listen to a system consists of Sun Audio 2A3 driving a pair Living Voice Speaker ~ plays Jazz music very well.

mokuto
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Celestions, Monitor Audios which was my previous speakers were great for music esp. jazz. Now I use a floor stander(transmission line speakers by TDL Electronics) for that real sensation of double bass and kick drum!
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:34 am

If u want to listen to jazz 'like the real thing' u got to have a pair of subwoofers la!!! Preferably, a pair floorstanders instead of bookshelves. Another way will be to get 2 humongous monoblocs and large multi drivers floorstanders la.

I think u got to go listen to a lot of large systems to know and understand about getting the listening perception to as close as possible to real events! The cost of achieving this is very very very high indeed!!!!

Do think about it!!! If the systems u go around to audition to learn about this, still provide a sound reproduction that still reminds u that u are listening to a recording then u will know how difficult it is to achieve this feat! Good luck to u. Best spk for jazz music Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by - br@d - Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:08 pm

KEF Reference 207/2 sure will make you happy. Heard it with a NAD C355BEE with Nordost Odin cables. very sui sui. You will not regret.

If u still insist of a bookshelf the Dynaudio Confidence C1 will sure make your face/@@s. Very Happy

- br@d -
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tannoy Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks guys for all the good suggestions, the real sad thing is that even very high priced high end that i have listened also can't come close to the "real thing" especially the upper mid percussion sound- the "Ping Pang Pong" sound, while the bass, i think is more easy achivable by adding subwoofers.
I once listen to a pair of very big ATCs in a show is quite impressive but it's not way for my pocket.

tannoy
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:03 am

Not bookshelves but mini towers- so take up little space much like a pair of bookshelves with their stands, read a pair of Mission 752 just posted here by someone for sale. These are the original non Freedom model just like mine, except mine in rosewood. Very efficient and fast due to lightweight mid/woofer cone, and great for low powered valve amps. Highly recommended and much sought after. Give em a try with your amp and see whether it works for you. cheers Very Happy
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 am

If u want the sound to sound like the real thing, u got to have lots and lots of power!!! Maybe u try Krell mono blocs if $$$ is not an issue!!!! If on a tight budget, then maybe u try building your own hifi system, read "do it yourself", ie. diy! Needs lots of engineering feats and lots of really nice and experienced handiwork! If not u may have to 'pay someone' else to do the 'homework' for u, ie. buy off the shelf!

There are systems that almost sound like the 'real thing' but u got to know where to look for these people la. Some don't join forums, they have their own circle of hifi friends. U can only get to meet them or listen to their setups thru people u know la. I think if a sound reproduction is close to the real thing the system must be able to replay very loud! If it's close to the real thing and it's not loud, then it's a 'scale down' version of the real thing.......which will still gives the impression/ perception u are listening to a recording.....which is definitely NOT like the real thing!!! Best spk for jazz music Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Uncle Vic, Tannoy was referring to bookshelf speakers lah. May I guess your room is smal right Mr Tannoy? And you didn't say what else your system comprise so it's difficult to suggest matching speakers or whether you need upgrading elsewhere.

Anyway here's a run down of good classic, dynamic sounding, not too large stand-mount speakers for jazz from my listening experience if you can have patience to hunt them down:
1. Spendor SP2/3
2. Harbeth HL Compact
3. Linn Sara
4. Mission 751
5. Celestion SL6/600

The top two studio monitors are tops for naturalness and projection, esp jazz. Max impact best powered to their max rating. Cheers.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:21 pm

I think tannoy did say he wanted a system to sound like the 'real McCoy'.......which in reality IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best spk for jazz music Icon_lol If he wanted to use what he already has he should refrain from stating this........should INSTEAD say......"wanted something that sound realistic enough for his liking"!!!!!!!! Best spk for jazz music Icon_lol No offence.........just being real! Best spk for jazz music Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Think Uncle Wan's suggesting something realistic for home jazz music listening. Those speakers would even fill up average sized living rooms and still sound pretty much balanced without having to resort to a few hundred watts, fridge sized speakers and subwoofers.
If you understand jazz and have been to a lot of serious jazz live concerts as I did in the States you'll appreciate jazz is about mood, clarity, timbre and a balanced sound top to bottom. It's not about extreme sound pressure levels. They don't play that loud at jazz concerts unlike rock. Especially so with acoustic jazz.
My ten cents worth of opinion.
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 am

True, jazz are not played very loud. What I'm suggesting is the pursue to get something like the real thing, is just isn't possible!!! Try like u said, a balanced sound, and perhaps a sound that is enjoyable, not irritating,and providing the right mood. What I'm suggesting is getting to a level of realism that is acceptable to the owner/host! Nevermind what the visitors have to say la. Best spk for jazz music Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jemmi Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm

I suggest you read (or better join in the forum) forum from this customized speaker maker with reasonable price.

http://www.salksound.com/

Normally they will make the speaker up to your taste of sound with their active crossover. Most of the buyer ending their search of ultimate speaker with salksound speaker.

A full range Veracity models, including the highly acclaimed Veracity HT3's, can be fully customized to your individual taste and style.

I’m still follow their forum & waiting for sale of SongTower speaker (below USD2k).
jemmi
jemmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by fslai Thu May 06, 2010 10:33 pm

In my own experience, I think Monitor Audio PMC 702 does very well. Although these speakers are more than 10 years old, pretty good jazz is being reproduced over these speakers, driven by Audiolab 8000s and 8000P.

Cheers.

fslai

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri May 07, 2010 7:29 am

b&w dm6series, mission m35, qual 22L

basically floorstander with heaps of drivers
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Fri May 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Cooltube wrote:If you understand jazz and have been to a lot of serious jazz live concerts as I did in the States you'll appreciate jazz is about mood, clarity, timbre and a balanced sound top to bottom. It's not about extreme sound pressure levels. They don't play that loud at jazz concerts unlike rock. Especially so with acoustic jazz.
My ten cents worth of opinion.
Harbeth will renders acoustic instruments including double bass with an organic life like presence. Not sure about kick drum - but it is no good for electronic guitar type of bass. Harbeth midrange clarity and timbre is legendary as well. I think it will be worth your while to bring along your favorite music and give it an audition.

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down