Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Is this a good combination??

+7
kolabear
shaikhy
azri
hiwaylaser
alex
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
sliver2c
11 posters

Go down

Is this a good combination?? Empty Is this a good combination??

Post by sliver2c Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I would like to seek your expert opinions in below combination, My question is, What do you all think about it and also is this a right move? Compared this to my Meridean 800 series is this going to out perform my current setup (Meridean 800) or shall I try another combination if yes what? I was thinking about wilson Audio Max 2. but have not audition it. Thanks guys.

• Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage Red Gloss
  • Harmonix Package :
  • Reimyo Transport CDT-777 with harmonix power cord 2M
  • Reimyo Dac999ex with Harmonix Cord 2M
  • HS102 Coaxial Cable
  • Goldmund Mimesis 27.3L Analague Pre-Amplifier
  • Goldmund Telos 400 Mono Power Amplifier (pair)
  • Transparent Reference Speaker Cable 8fts (pair)
  • Transparent XL RCA MM2 2M (DAC To Pre Amp n Pre To Power Amp)
  • Nordost Valhalla Power Cord 2M
  • Transparent PLMM Power Cord 2M
  • Transparent PIR PowerIsolator Reference For Power Amplifier
  • Harmonix TU-202 ZX Tuning Feet For Power Amplifier
  • Harmonix RF-999mkII Tuning Feet For Speaker
  • Harmonix SYN-100 Tuning Feet For Pre Amplifier
  • Harmonix RF-909 Tuning Feet For Dac n Pre amp
  • Harmonix RFA-7800 Room Tuning 18disks

sliver2c

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Is this a good combination?? Empty Re: Is this a good combination??

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:03 am

Friend,
Wow... You are very fortunate to have more than RM500k to spend on equipment.

There is no right or wrong here. You have probably heard the cliched statement, 'The components should match each other' too many times. This is partly true and partly false. Many of us think it's purely an art, but there is some level of scientific and technical explanations to it.

Most of the components there are very good in their own regard. However, do take some time to analyse the background of the components and how they came to this point when they were designed.

1. eg. Goldmund is an amp designed to be very wide-bandwidth (>1MHz). How do you take further advantage of its performance potential by choosing your cables correctly that complement this characteristic and will not curtail/rolloff the bandwidth/speed potential?
  2. What do you like in your current setup and wish to preserve its strengths?
  3. What more do you want out of your system that you feel could be improved upon?
  4. What ancillary equipment do the designers use when they are in the midst of creating a product (eg. the amps used by Sonus Faber to design the Stradivari Homage). You may not necessarily use the same amps, but at least you get a fair idea of the design parameters (huge impedance fluctuations across the frequency spectrum, high phase angle etc.) that were part of the tradeoffs in achieving the desired sound. Some indirect information on this can be obtained when you write to the respective manufacturers or read factory tour articles in magazines.

Hence, if you can adopt a more technical approach to it or find a reseller who can do so, you can come closer to maximising the potential.

Nevertheless, you have a wonderful base to start with that many can only dream of. Well done. Very Happy
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sliver2c Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:13 am

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:Friend,
Wow... You are very fortunate to have more than RM500k to spend on equipment.

There is no right or wrong here. You have probably heard the cliched statement, 'The components should match each other' too many times. This is partly true and partly false. Many of us think it's purely an art, but there is some level of scientific and technical explanations to it.

Most of the components there are very good in their own regard. However, do take some time to analyse the background of the components and how they came to this point when they were designed.

1. eg. Goldmund is an amp designed to be very wide-bandwidth (>1MHz). How do you take further advantage of its performance potential by choosing your cables correctly that complement this characteristic and will not curtail/rolloff the bandwidth/speed potential?
  2. What do you like in your current setup and wish to preserve its strengths?
  3. What more do you want out of your system that you feel could be improved upon?
  4. What ancillary equipment do the designers use when they are in the midst of creating a product (eg. the amps used by Sonus Faber to design the Stradivari Homage). You may not necessarily use the same amps, but at least you get a fair idea of the design parameters (huge impedance fluctuations across the frequency spectrum, high phase angle etc.) that were part of the tradeoffs in achieving the desired sound. Some indirect information on this can be obtained when you write to the respective manufacturers or read factory tour articles in magazines.

Hence, if you can adopt a more technical approach to it or find a reseller who can do so, you can come closer to maximising the potential.

Nevertheless, you have a wonderful base to start with that many can only dream of. Well done. Very Happy

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, its a huge decission to spend that kind of money on a hi fi system but it has been a passion since I can remember. Its a dream come true.
I appreciate your input and now i have a better idea and will go into more research before commiting to this setup.
Also Thank you for coming up with this forum now all hi fi enthusiast can get together and gain more knowledge from each other. Well done!

sliver2c

Back to top Go down

Post by alex Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:54 am

Hi Silver,

That is one hell of a list. I had difficulties reading them, lol. Two thumbs up for that. Real Hifi guy. At the age of 29 you have done very well. Keep on with the journey Smile

alex
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by sliver2c Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:21 am

alex wrote:Hi Silver,

That is one hell of a list. I had difficulties reading them, lol. Two thumbs up for that. Real Hifi guy. At the age of 29 you have done very well. Keep on with the journey Smile

Thanks man, it was never easy been through hell to get where I am. I had my fair share of failure in life and learn a lot from those mistakes I have made. This setup will be the most expensive birthday gift I will ever buy for myself and I hope i will enjoy it for years to come.

sliver2c

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:03 pm

What kind of sound are you looking for and the type of music you listen to?
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hiwaylaser Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:29 pm

alex wrote:Hi Silver,

Me too, hard long list for me to read them as well Very Happy ....haha welcome to the Journey Of Sound !

hiwaylaser
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 am

yup, it depends much on what kind of music ur listenin to
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sliver2c Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:15 am

Hi Guys I listen to alot of mainstream jazz and instrumentals. I am trying to create a system that would sound as live as possible. I just love live performances you can feel the energy and aura surrounding you. I might be asking too much here but I just want it to be as perfect as possible. This is going to be one hell of a journey and once its done I cannot imagine the satisfaction!!!

sliver2c

Back to top Go down

Post by shaikhy Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:53 am

Hi Silver,

Those are indeed true hi-end products you listed, an audiophile's 'wet dream'. Anyway, your question is a tough one. As mentioned by the previous members, the best judge is your own ears. After 30 years of hifi (bought my first Rega 3 in 1979), I've learned a few things that I can share with you:

• systems synergy takes precedence over price. Price is a reflection of quality, but it could also be due to high production costs or worse high margin.
  • don't always trust reviews. It's a good start but your personal experience might contradict.
  • the greatest influence in sound is your room. Have a good proportioned room and don't discount the importance of room treatment.
  • dealers who don't allow home demos at this price level are not worth dealing with.
  • a perfect system does not exist. We buy equiptment based on our own priorities. What we like today we might not like tomorrow hence this hobby becomes a never ending journey which we call 'upgrade'.
May your journey be a smooth one!

shaikhy

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by sliver2c Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 am

shaikhy wrote:Hi Silver,

Those are indeed true hi-end products you listed, an audiophile's 'wet dream'. Anyway, your question is a tough one. As mentioned by the previous members, the best judge is your own ears. After 30 years of hifi (bought my first Rega 3 in 1979), I've learned a few things that I can share with you:

• systems synergy takes precedence over price. Price is a reflection of quality, but it could also be due to high production costs or worse high margin.
  • don't always trust reviews. It's a good start but your personal experience might contradict.
  • the greatest influence in sound is your room. Have a good proportioned room and don't discount the importance of room treatment.
  • dealers who don't allow home demos at this price level are not worth dealing with.
  • a perfect system does not exist. We buy equiptment based on our own priorities. What we like today we might not like tomorrow hence this hobby becomes a never ending journey which we call 'upgrade'.

Hi Shaikhy,

Wow 30 years, you must be really experience in this then! I am trying to get a home demo done probably after CNY and then that would be my deciding factor. I would agree that there is no such thing as a perfect system because 3 months ago I thought my meridean was a perfect system untill I started hearing other system and I realise I am not satisfied after all, hence the major upgrade.

sliver2c

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm

shaikhy wrote:Hi Silver,

two thumbs up, very true indeed
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kolabear Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:54 pm

thats a real cool system you hav plan out. and if you plan to sell your old system i really like the option to see them.
kolabear
kolabear
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 85

Back to top Go down

Post by sliver2c Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 am

kolabear wrote:thats a real cool system you hav plan out. and if you plan to sell your old system i really like the option to see them.

Hi,

My previous buyer dropout on my meridian digital loudspeaker DSP 7200 and 808i.2 cd player. let me know if you are interested.

sliver2c

Back to top Go down

Post by kaihui1982 Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:06 am

Hello Sliver2c,

With the amount of money you budgeted for the list of incredible equipments, the next question you should ask about how much do you spend each day to listen to your "huge" vault of music? If you really a big music buff listening to your system all day long, by all mean the system you wish to have is wonderful. Otherwise, I am suggesting you to rather spend it on attending real life Jazz or intrument concert at any country on the globe. Then, you will have "as life as possible" sound. Let it be Village Vanguard, Blue Notes, Ronnie Scotts. Personally, I did that!

kaihui1982

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:22 pm

horn speakers anyone? http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Products.html
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:47 am

[quote="azri"]horn speakers anyone? http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Products.html[/quote]

Horn speakers - very nice sound if set up properly.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Fri May 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi silver2c

Have you got your system set-up already?
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tin Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 am

Here are my thoughts,without having heard this particular set up.

1.Your system might end up being too polite.The Reimyo are design to mimick vinyl.I think you would be better of with dcs Puccini with U clock .this has beeen regarded as the ultimate single box CDP.

2.Goldmund???search other forums and you would realize that it is not that highly regarded sonically.If you want to remain continental,Niagra,FM acoustic,Soulution,Burmester are the range of amps you should be looking at.

3.Keep the Sonus;that is a gorgoues speaker.

4.I would think that Finite elemente feet are better than Harmonix;harmonix again is designed to bring more 'flavour'

5.Nothing on Power Conditioner?

6.I would suggest you use a single brand of cabling;Nordost ,perhaps?

tin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA4 Tue May 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Instead of spending so much on hardware for the time being, why not start with treating your listening room first.

Then get the dealers to bring in the high-end stuff to audition in your listening room. At the level you are willing to pay, most dealers would oblige a home audition.

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by sliver2c Tue May 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I have not come to a conclussion yet still deciding and I had to delay a bit as my room was not properly setup yet. Will update you guys once I am done and will post some pics soon and ROb and tin thanks for the advice.

sliver2c

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Wed May 27, 2009 2:58 pm

[quote="tycham"]
azri wrote:horn speakers anyone? http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Products.html[/quote]

Horn speakers - very nice sound if set up properly.

hi tycham, know any local dealer or local made horn speakers manufacture?
have u any knowledge on fullrange speakers? it seems to interest me a lot

sorry sliver, i have to ask tycham here
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Sorry azri, not to my knowledge. Only heard from hifi people here horn speakers are nice if properly set-up.

Only horn speakers I have ever encounter are those at Chinese 7th month dinners and pasar malam.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down