Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!!

+15
jazzman
hangleng
finylvinyl
Wan Azami Hamzah
KFM
igmcheah
fizi
car o scope
mugenfoo
alex
RobA4
ryder
cmboy
WongKN
adrian4454
19 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!!

Post by mugenfoo Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:47 am

Its easier to build a good MM stage than a good MC stage because of the required gain differences.
Not that the electronics topology required for MC is inherently inferior or anything.

I've played really really low output MM (actually MI to be accurate) cartridges that sounded better on the phono amp's MC settings than MM. But this is coz my particular custom built phono stage has an extremely generous range of gain settings.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!!

Post by robM Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi

Yes CAUTION! It's interesting though. I say that if you buy a second hand car, you are buying someone else's problem.

It's no easier designing an MM stage. If it were there would be many GREAT MM stages out there! The design processes are the same and so are the challenges. How low is very low output MM? Very low MC is approx 0.1mV. The Denon DL 304 is about 0.18mV.

The main reason why MM stages exist is a historical one. Back in the days of tubes, MCs did not exist which is why the technology for MCs and tube phonostages is not a popular one.

I'm not against tubes at all. I own a Lamm tube preamp, but when using MC cartridges like the Ortofon A90 or Dynavector XV1s etc you don't want to use a tube stage with a transformer as the combination is my experience just does not work.

robM

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:05 am

Used to have a Grado MCX. Output was approx 1.2mV. Real pain in the @$s to match with a good phono-stage coz its too low for most fixed gain MM stages, whereas too high output for MC stages.

Most budget MM boxes are designed to go well with 5mV Shures and AudioTechnicas.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:15 am

Have u guys tried those accessories such as record clamps (that could cost rm200-500 a piece), the carbon brush (of different sizes to suit the different usage on a turntable, and it's not cheap though), static removal devices, etc.,? What's your take? Waste of $$$ or absolutely necessary/must have/buy whatever your budget allows?

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:54 am

uncle_vic wrote:Have u guys tried those accessories such as record clamps (that could cost rm200-500 a piece), the carbon brush (of different sizes to suit the different usage on a turntable, and it's not cheap though), static removal devices, etc.,? What's your take? Waste of $$$ or absolutely necessary/must have/buy whatever your budget allows?

Record clamps, some are cheap enough to have a try, but if one wants to pay RM-4digits for some piece of hockey puck, by all means. Mine came std with the turntable itself, and yes it does changes to sound for the better (for my setup).

The Carbon brush a also very good device because not only does it brush away all the dust from the LP surface, it also removes the surface static charge. And its affordable too.

But after one round of playing, the vinyl and diamond's contact would re-staticise the LP again. I actually "discovered" a more permanent solution to remove static buildup on LP, especially for new modern 180g LPs, is to wet-wash it one round with record cleaning fluid. I used to have alot of static problems with new LPs. But after wet-washing them, the static syndrome is totally gone.

It could be that new LPs today, have some sort of chemical residue from the production line that makes it a super dirt & dust magnet. The LP cleaning fluid washes it away to leave a clean vinyl surface instead. Just my theory...

Over the weekend, i met up with a fellow hifi nut (who is not a forummer ) who plays a RM60K+ TT system, he has a habit of ALWAYS wet-washing the LPs he's bought before playing them. This is especially true for new LPs becuase, new LPs actually have alot of paper dust, amongst other things when its being packed at the factory.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh well, if one insists a DIY one for the cost of peanuts, tie up with rubber band 4-5pcs of D size dry cell batteries and honk it onto the LP. I don't know the results, never did one.
I happen to have a unique one made of firm, light and flexible silicone plastic of some sort (no idea of its actual material) and press down to grip the spindle to flatten the LP to platter. I reckon its very suitable for suspended decks as it doesn't add any weight. Its main purpose ensuring a flat record. Of course have to use a little upward force for removal. A bit tedious though.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 pm

cmboy wrote:Oh well, if one insists a DIY one for the cost of peanuts, tie up with rubber band 4-5pcs of D size dry cell batteries and honk it onto the LP. I don't know the results, never did one.

Even funnier will be when the batteries "accidentally" tumble loose while spinning, and the do the cha-cha on the LP surface, maybe collide on the cartridge and twists the cantilever sideways as well.

Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!! - Page 4 Lol
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Extra sounds effects. cha-cha-cha... Razz
At the same time, the owner will feel like the cartridge is scratching on his heart rather than the LP.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:44 pm

U People have a weird sense of humour!!! Hah, hah, hah!!!! Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!! - Page 4 Icon_lol I like u guys!!! Kekekeeee!!! Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!! - Page 4 Icon_biggrin

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4